Avatar:The Last Filmmaker OR Completely Avatarded

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: Avatar:The Last Filmmaker OR Completely Avatarded

Postby empath » 19 Dec 2009, 17:56

Evil Jim wrote:
octopimpostor wrote:
Evil Jim wrote:Regrettably, only one form of 3D really works for everyone, & it's the one that can't be viewed on a movie screen.

whats that?

Your natural binocular vision.

Yeah, real life. :|

Although, I'd argue that even some people have trouble with THAT. :roll:
ExplodingSims

Postby ExplodingSims » 19 Dec 2009, 19:50

I thought this film was okay. Good, but not great. It was certainly VERY pretty, and the 3D was nice. I dunno, I just found the story to be a bit predicable. I still think it was good. I just don't think it lived up to the hype it generated.
He who would sacrifice a little liberty for a little security deserves neither.
Currently Failing my way through college.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 19 Dec 2009, 20:51

Just got home from it. It was alright. The visuals were, as to be expected, amazing, but that doesn't make up for how cliche and annoying I felt the story was. I'd have to say my favorite parts were those two scenes with the tiny lizards that flew around by spinning like tops. Those little guys were hilarious.
AgentGray

Postby AgentGray » 19 Dec 2009, 21:31

new 3d tech IS better for people with use of both eyes... however because of the way they display the frames (linearly, polarized) your eyes are seeing two different images in sequence... your head is much better at handling linear information instead of smoothing simultaneous lies (which is what 3d is >>) however, when you're MISSING half the information... you get a stutter. super high resolution + Image stuttering == instant headaches for one-eyed people.

yeeeup.

I've heard it "Dancing with wolves, told via sledge hammer"

At least dancing with wolves showed the Indians as creatures capable of any remote kind of wrong...you know... real things... not just the innocent, pure, angelic simple victims of the crystal clear metaphor for a military that not only hates freedom, and wants to bring down EVERYONE ELSES TWIN TOWERS(sorry-life tree)but hates it's own soldiers too. Sorry, but I'll take my movie telling from someone that didn't spend 10 years making dances with wolfs less engaging.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 19 Dec 2009, 22:26

Why would a one-eyed person go to a 3D movie?
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
AgentGray

Postby AgentGray » 19 Dec 2009, 22:28

cause you cant find it anywhere in 2d?

I hope it does lack luster so that this doesn't become common practice in my favorite type of movie - cause I'd be able to see fewer and fewer in theaters... I hope it's brief explosion into the world is as short lived as possible. (3d that is...and James Cameron too.. he's sorta a toolbag as a human being even if he's produced some amazing movies.)
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 19 Dec 2009, 22:36

Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 19 Dec 2009, 23:24

I made a list of several things that bothered me about the movie that aren't really important to the plot, since I figured that is getting discussed enough. I've spoilered out any particularly...well, spoilery things, but if you're paranoid about that sort of thing and haven't seen the movie yet you may want to skip anyway.

1) Why do the Avatars have human clothing? I mean, they're all like 9 feet tall, and though humanoid are of a pretty weird shape, so their clothes had to be tailor-made, right? I mean, that seems like such a bitchy thing to do. Did Norm really love his vest and flannel shirt so much that he just had to have it when he was in his Avatar? Did Grace throw a fit because she wanted to show all the Omaticaya her favorite Stanford shirt? I'd just figure that anybody they would have in the crew responsible for making clothes would probably be busier making sure all the marines and such had fatigues and backpacks and what-have-you without a bunch of scientists whining that they refuse to go do their job unless they get a pair of size 60 capri pants.

2) Thinking about this, what was the point of the Avatars at all? I really think I must have missed a vital bit of dialogue in the movie because I had been under the impression from the trailers that the entire reason they came up with the project was so they could infiltrate a Na'vi tribe and learn their ways for valuable information to give to the army. And while this is exactly what Jake did, he did it by accident. All they had been doing before Jake got found by Neytiri was collecting samples. Why did they need to have Avatars for this? I thought maybe it was so if other Na'vi stumbled upon them they wouldn't try to kill them, but that can't be the reason because the Na'vi were able to tell Jake was a "Dreamwalker" right when they saw him, and also they were wearing human-fucking-clothing. So why, then? Did they just have a crippling shortage of oxygen-masks or something? Can someone explain if I didn't pick up on something that was stated or implied?

3) There's one scene where Colonel Quaritch kicks open a door and runs outside without putting on an oxygen mask. Everyone inside has to quickly put theirs on as the room decompresses. Why the fuck was a door supposedly sealed to be airtight so easy to kick down? I mean really, Quaritch was a badass but not that much.

4) In fact there's like five times during the movie where he intentionally endangers himself and others by trying to just hold his breath and fight in the hostile open air of Pandora. It was pretty badass the first time he did it, not caring if he passed out so long as he could get in a few extra shots, but then he does it several more times in under 20 minutes of movie and it just kind of became boring.

5) This one is spoilery, so I'll white it out: When Jake goes to tell the Na'vi about the impending human attack, why did he tell them about his original mission? I mean, I get why he was doing it before, when he was forcefully taken out of the Avatar body and didn't get a chance to say it, but the tribe's chief just said, "Are you sure the sky people are coming?" I think that a "Yeah, I'm sure." would have sufficed, instead of the bullshit that he did.

6) The mechs that the human army have are silly. The pilots control it by moving their arms, and the mech arms move to match, meaning that the pilots just have to hold their hands in the position that their mechs are holding their guns, which looks silly and hilarious. You'd think it would be a lot harder the actually coordinate the robot's arms and legs than it is. Like, the way that Quaritch was able to grab onto a unsheathe a knife that wasn't really at his side? You'd think he would totally miss it, or bang into the robot's leg with his fist, or something. Also, the way that his mech took a dramatic fall when Quaritch died was also very funny.

7) Why is it that the first time we see Na'vi shooting arrows at the gunships, the arrows bounce off the windows harmlessly, but in the climactic battle they are suddenly able to break through the glass with ease?

8 ) Those animals we see a few times in the movie, those little lizards with the glowing fins that fly around by spinning like a top? Those things were awesome.

9) At the beginning of the movie, Grace refers to the tendrils on the end of Jake's ponytail that allows him to sync up with animals and such by saying, "Don't play with that, you'll go blind." this obviously implies that it is the equivalent of a penis. That means whenever Jake or another Na'vi syncs up with an animal, he's hairfucking it. That bothers me.

10) Why were the bows used as bludgeoning weapons if an enemy got too close to a Na'vi? You'd think it wouldn't be able to take such an impact, and then if they are left without bows they would be pretty shit outta luck.

11) Having to recite that little prayer every time a Na'vi killed an animal must have been really fucking annoying.

12) Another spoiler, I suppose: When Jake syncs up with the Turok (I don't know what it's actually called, but it sounded like Turok and it looks like a dinosaur so there you go), what happens to the pterodactyl he had previously synced with? It was only able to sync with one Na'vi, and Jake threw his shit to the curb. Considering how much of a bond Neytiri had with her pterodactyl thing, that seems like a pretty shit thing to do.

That's about all I can think of right now. If anything else inconsequential to the plot comes to mind, I'll be sure to post it, too.
Intellectually funky

Postby Intellectually funky » 20 Dec 2009, 09:19

Because of you I am now more excited to see this movie!
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception. - Groucho Marx

March Hare: Ah, that's just it. If you don't think, then you shouldn't talk.
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 20 Dec 2009, 09:46

Thank you, Nevrmore. Reading all that made me sure that the movie is much too damn silly for me to ever watch.

As much as everyone will hate me for saying this: All I could think when I was reading that was, "Isn't this the same kind of nonsensical bullshit we bitch about in Twilight/New Moon? Why is it okay now because the movie is pretty?"

Also, Michelle Rodriguez (I've never heard of her before, but they mentioned several times she was in Avatar, so I assume she is) was on the Wanda Sykes show last night, and good God. She acts, looks, and talks like she's twelve years old. I couldn't figure out if she was just really immature or if she had a mental handicap.
Snowfire
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Snowfire » 22 Dec 2009, 07:22

JesterJ. wrote:
AgentGray wrote:i hope for my own sake this doesn't take off. DEAR GOD i hope it fails.

Half Blind. These movies, the new type of 3d, give me a pounding headache. :( i know 2d will be available. But wow.

...Really? I've heard that they developed this knowing that people DO get headaches from 3D, and eliminated that issue.

Also, I WILL be seeing this movie, partly because it looks pretty good, but mostly to support such a big endeavor (new technology, 3D that isn't just a gimmick, etc.)

3D isn't new tech, the groundwork for this kind of stuff has been around for years (and I'm talking about the polarised lenses here) it's just that they haven't been taken that far (if anywhere) by most films. If you have a certain problem with your eyes then no 3D will work for you at all and about 1 in every 3 people on the planet have an ophthalmic astigmatism (found it!). As for the headaches...I think that's already been explained. Stuttered vision etc.

I'm planning on going to see it for a few reasons but only really one that matters. My brother (who shares my tastes in movies) said it was worth seeing. I don't know what I'll think of it and whilst the visuals are truly stunning it comes down to story and character depth for me. So I guess I'll see :D
Juliamon: Snowfire you are a gentleman and a scholar and a brilliant troll. I salute you.

D`Archangel: Snowfire: Your use of SPACE BID proves that you are a strong, adult woman. I am so, so proud of you. <--- Is actually male
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 22 Dec 2009, 07:28

Looks like I'll be dragged into seeing this soon.
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 22 Dec 2009, 07:38

This was a fantastic movie. I really enjoyed it.

Yes, I know it's awesome to cross your arms and say "I'm gonna hate it, never gonna see it, fuck you," and I'm happy for you. Good job.

It's a really fun movie, and absolutely some of the best visuals ever. I agree with pretty much everything Kroze said.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 30 Dec 2009, 18:41

Superb visuals, an hour too long, and so-so writing. I give it a 6 out of 10 (cut out 45 minutes to tighten it up and all of Jake's mind numbingly redundant narration, and I'd give it an 8.5).

Good film, though, and visually stunning. 3D is mandatory, but I don't think imax is necessary.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Comrade

Postby Comrade » 30 Dec 2009, 19:30

I didn't like it. Strip away the CGI you will get a very twisted and contorted plot. And all of you who think it is about racism, it isn't. It is an environmental movie. Evil Jim said "crossing Ferngully with Tron" but it was more like Ferngully with (the Recent) G.I. Joe or any other action movie. And thats what let me down with the movie, it had a message, but it was just a guise, a mask, to create a glorified action movie.
Liar! Alias does too use dust as a sore muse
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 30 Dec 2009, 19:49

I enjoyed the movie. The plot is predictable, but I really didn't care. Dialogue and Story are still good, not great, but good. Visually, it's great.

I saw it in 3D and had no problem, even though I wear glasses and I have an astigmatism. It took some time to adjust, and fortunately that time was during the trailers.

Anyway, I thought the movie was good. Most of Nevermore's nitpicks are very minor, and some of them are just plain incorrect or over-exaggerated.

1. Minor, they may not have Navi clothing, or they didn't bother trying to hide the fact they aren't real Navi. Which is evident by #2.
2. Would a normal human being have been able to do any of what Jake, as an Avatar, does in order to learn about them?
3. I thought he pulled a switch or something(I don't recall)
4. He actually only does it 3 times. And not in the way you describe. #1, He busts the hatch open like a badass. #2, On the Airship, they get a huge whole blown in the cockpit, and he uses a hatch to fire at Jake for a few seconds. #3, his mech suit gets damage and he ejects the window and then gets a gas mask.
5. I agree with this one. Just fucking lie you moron.
6. Yeah, it's kind of silly, but not really that bad.
7. They never said anything, but I assumed the Navi just started using bigger arrows. They looked bigger by comparison. Either that or the smaller, VTOL-like ships may have weaker windows than the big carrier. Which appeared to be the only one not affected by the arrows.
8. Ok. Not a gripe.
9. I took this to be a joke and not anything more. The tendril things are more an extension of the nervous system. Basically, an ethernet cable.
10. The bows were also like 9 feet tall, and made from a material whose properties we don't know.
11. Yes, that would be annoying, but it really has no affect on the movie.
12. The pterodactyl things can only have one Navi bonded to it, but that doesn't mean the Navi can't have multiple's of them.
Fuzzyfreaker
First Video: CSI: CSI

Postby Fuzzyfreaker » 30 Dec 2009, 20:50

I wrote a thing.

For those of you without clicking fingers, or who have a religious belief against pressing down with your index finger, here's the short version.

Fantastic. Everything that Kroze said and so much, much more.
epocalypse
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 30 Dec 2009, 21:00

I got to disagree on the dialogue, it was the weakest part in my opinion.
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
CommanderKeen
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby CommanderKeen » 30 Dec 2009, 21:17

Predictable story, but that's what sci-fi is. A place to discuss ideas and such with being able to explain it away that it's not earth. Cameron has done it again with a film that while has it's plot-holes, he's created another universe that's COMPLETELY FUCKING DIFFERENT then ours. Rather then having a religion that's based on words with no evidence, by having everything linked together and such, the whole idea of thanking an animal for dying or whatever makes alot more sense. Much like the water for the Fremen in Dune.

I liked it, and it deserves the Oscars it's going to get.

Though the whole birdthing screamed of Dinotopia.
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 30 Dec 2009, 21:33

CommanderKeen wrote:Though the whole birdthing screamed of Dinotopia.

This.

And it does deserve that fx Oscar its going to get.
my personal site
DmitriW
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby DmitriW » 30 Dec 2009, 21:46

It's very nice to see people I like talking about the positive aspects of the movie. Yes, the dialogue was a bit weak. Yes, some things were far-fetched. But it's still an enjoyable, fun movie. And stunningly beautiful.
Consider this signature a museum piece, since I love it and am unlikely to change it ever.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 30 Dec 2009, 22:17

epocalypse wrote:And it does deserve that fx Oscar its going to get.

True, but Cloverfield deserved one as well & didn't get it.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 30 Dec 2009, 23:51

James Cameron Gets Special FX Oscars.
my personal site
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 31 Dec 2009, 04:16

Dammit I knew what that last link was going to be and still clicked anyway. (I didn't realise Alex had collaborated with James Cameron to produce it though...)

Just saw this last night and really enjoyed it. It might not have been the best film every for storytelling but when you stop dissecting it and take it for what it is, all the parts add together for a very enjoyable film. In fact I'll probably go and see it again.

My only niggle is with the failure of the 3D glasses manufacturer to compensate for glasses-wearers.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr

Return to “General Discussion”