The Christmas Black Bear done Stole My Garbage!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

The Christmas Black Bear done Stole My Garbage!

Postby epocalypse » 25 Dec 2009, 23:28

It was just like going to the zoo, if the zoo was below my window, eating my garbage and rubbing up against my Prius on Christmas night. And by zoo, I mean 200-250KG black bear. My brother and I had just gone out for a late run to In-N-Out Burger (One of LA's cultural dynasties) which, unfortunately was closed and made of phail, when we came back to see a bunch of our Christmas garbage from the 8 course meal my Italian mother (saint, chef, and made of car-proof awesome, but that is another tale for another time) had been spread out akimbo. My brother said "I bet it was animals" I agreed, and we quickly went inside and closed the garage door.

However, and this is key, when I thought "animal" I thought bear, which knowing this had happened before. I faced down either he or one of his kin this summer, when I made the foolish mistake of telling my parents that I'd heard animals going through the garbage and was forced to go check. I'd ran back inside (or, better put, once I got inside; outside I had backed away slowly, trying to show as best I could that I meant this bear no harm, and then bolted up the stairs). Once back upstairs, I had told my parents that, after much deliberation, I had decided that the bear was welcome to stay until it had had it's fill, and we could handle it in the morning.

My brother, however, when saying "animal", had thought of natures adorabliest feral bandit, the raccoon.

He practically had a coniption when he had found out it was a bear and was horrified as we watched this bear dismantle our garbage and offer some to my Prius. It treated it as a sleeping beast, and, I had known, was the reason the bear was not there when we exited the car. Even if you way half a ton, would you mess with a 2 ton demonic gold specter with burning eyes of fire (had the old brights on), running around on round rubber feet (just like a wolf!)? Nope.

I heard him some back, however, and went, and bang, there he was: A bear. So, of course, I woke up everyone in the house, and we went and watched him till he took his leave, and we all agreed:

"That is seriously a bear."

It was cool, horrifying, hilarious and annoying, all in what relatively speaking from our frame of reference seemed to be a moment of simultaneity. My brother also used the same voice to impersonate me and the bear ( A voice, I may add that he normally uses for our 13 lb Lhasa-Apso:

Image Alex...

...so, it was fairly silly) and discussing whether or not I should set off the alarm on my Prius to scare it off. I decided I like my 2010 Prius to remain shiny and new, so we did not. It has come back once more, and I can only hope that it doesn't key the car like some asshole scroogey grinchy black bear, and go off galavanting. I await the arrival of the shark kin and the epic ensuing battle in the near future, but for now, Merry Christmas, and good night...

Don't let the Black Bears Bite.

EDIT: the black bear was just eating a bag of garbage when the top of the bag unraveled (he'd made his own hole) and surprised the hell out of him. I gotta admit, kind of adorable.

also, although I'm sure there must be a thread to this effect, feel free to share your personal bear stories in this thread.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: The Christmas Black Bear done Stole My Garbage!

Postby tak197 » 26 Dec 2009, 01:25

... You did festa dei sette pesci? Cool. I'd love to take part in one sometime. Too bad I'm German and Irish though, our Christmas traditions are getting drunk and telling deep dark secrets about the family. Today, I dmitted to my family that I too have slept with Tiger Woods. They didn't find it that funny.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 26 Dec 2009, 04:54

I'm kinda conflicted.

You make no mention of authorities being called in, which I don't quite know what to think about. On the one hand, I'm happy for the poor bear because if you called in the police or wildlife officers, they'd probably end up killing the bear. But on the other hand, the bear is still a legitimate threat to the people around there, and should be relocated if possible.

So while I think you should contact somebody, I fear I can place no trust in law enforcement of government workers to not simply slaughter the critter rather than go to the trouble of relocating it, either to the wild or captivity.

Also, where the heck was this, exactly? Rural, urban? Which state, even? Because while your listed location is New York, you refer to LA? Which is maybe not Los Angelos, although I have no clue what else it would be?

~Alja~
Intellectually funky

Postby Intellectually funky » 26 Dec 2009, 05:17

I laughed so hard ready this with such phrases as "It was Seriously a Bear" and just the mental image of the Bear offering Garbage to your Car. Ha good times...

I get Opossum, Raccoons and Feral Cats at my place and where we put the trash is pitch black at night so i'm always worried there is something to jump out a Gnaw my face off.
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception. - Groucho Marx

March Hare: Ah, that's just it. If you don't think, then you shouldn't talk.
goat

Postby goat » 26 Dec 2009, 07:49

The bears are collecting intelligence on the winter holidays, probably for an attack of some kind.

Remain vigilant.
epocalypse
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 26 Dec 2009, 09:51

Alja-Markir wrote:I'm kinda conflicted.

You make no mention of authorities being called in, which I don't quite know what to think about. On the one hand, I'm happy for the poor bear because if you called in the police or wildlife officers, they'd probably end up killing the bear. But on the other hand, the bear is still a legitimate threat to the people around there, and should be relocated if possible.

So while I think you should contact somebody, I fear I can place no trust in law enforcement of government workers to not simply slaughter the critter rather than go to the trouble of relocating it, either to the wild or captivity.

Also, where the heck was this, exactly? Rural, urban? Which state, even? Because while your listed location is New York, you refer to LA? Which is maybe not Los Angelos, although I have no clue what else it would be?

~Alja~

I live and hail from New York (and all over the east coast, in general), but my family moved to Altadena, Ca (part of Los Angeles county, which is what most people call LA, right on the side of a mountain). Black bears are very common here, and the general consensus is that for people like us who live right at the edge of the houses (above us and down the street are only parks and hiking trails) we are actually in the bears native Habitat, and thus we don't bother them and they don't bother us. Black bears are surprisingly docile, and will only fight when starving (this one, by the time we discovered it was well fed on Lobster and Broccoli Rabe, among others) or cornered, and have only caused 23 death in the last 80-90 years. So that's why we have not called. Now, our neighbors had had mountain lions; that is when you call.

Also, just to show how civilized and docile this Black Bear was, he actually stood back up and closed one of the two garbage cans he turned over, which we really appreciated when cleaning this morning.

tak197 wrote:... You did festa dei sette pesci? Cool. I'd love to take part in one sometime.
You should. Cod Cakes, Lobster Ragu made with 2 full lobsters, Broccoli Rabe, Phyllo dough Savory Pastries, and (out of modified family tradition) several kinds of meats (including a kind of understated and slightly more vegetable Swiss meat roll) More appetizers... oh jesus, just... look, I'll go over it more in the cooking and baking threads, but for now I must go have breakfast.
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 26 Dec 2009, 10:07

no piktures? :(
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 26 Dec 2009, 10:50

From long experience with those guys (bears) I recommend getting locking cans and maybe some sort of little shed to lock up your cans in. It's never a good idea to allow the bears to get into your garbage. Even if, in cases such as this, the bears don't get into any trouble, the more garbage they eat, the more accustomed they become to snooping around in human neighborhoods. This will inevitably lead to conflict between them and us.

At my home in Sechelt on the coast of BC, we often see a bear every other week or so, moreso in the summer when berries are ripe. True, most of the time they can wander about unmolested, but occasionally someone will call the Conservation Officer, which results in about half the time the bear being killed.

So the best plan is to make it impossible or difficult for bears to see your garbage as an easy food source. That way they'll stay in the hills and stick to their usual foods.
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 26 Dec 2009, 11:23

Locked garbage cans are am excellent idea, thanks! Also, no pics unfortunately, it was too dark and using a flash seemed like a bad idea.
my personal site
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 26 Dec 2009, 11:25

The next time it comes, grab a camera and kick it in the balls.

Yeah, that's all I have to offer here.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
NachoManLance
First Video: The Stages

Postby NachoManLance » 26 Dec 2009, 13:07

Master Gunner wrote:The next time it comes, grab a camera and kick it in the balls.

^ This
http://twitter.com/NachoManLance

<Witty quote that induces a chuckle>
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 26 Dec 2009, 13:54

on what aija said, call SOMEBODY but at least after it left, theyll alert everybody but wont shoot it, just be on alert FOR it
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 26 Dec 2009, 14:04

Yeah, they'll be on alert for it with a rifle at the ready in case it goes anywhere near a playground or a daycare or something.

I just can't place trust in most police or governmental forces to give a shit about the life of a black bear where it doesn't belong. Hell, they hardly give a shit about the lives of people where they don't belong.

~Alja~
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 26 Dec 2009, 14:34

gcninja wrote:on what aija said, call SOMEBODY but at least after it left, theyll alert everybody but wont shoot it, just be on alert FOR it

we're doing that, they put a bear face on a gps map.
my personal site
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 26 Dec 2009, 14:53

You should have shot it. All good Americans shoot anything that looks mean and is on their property. Get with the times.
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 26 Dec 2009, 15:03

I'm also Portuguese (not just descent, citizen), and we don't even kill the bulls in our bull fights. And personally, I've only ever owned nerf guns.
my personal site
JohnyMcmuffin
THERE'S Waldo!

Postby JohnyMcmuffin » 26 Dec 2009, 15:58

Master Gunner wrote:The next time it comes, grab a camera and kick it in the balls.

tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 26 Dec 2009, 18:09

Around here, you get locking trash cans or you put ammonia powder in the bottoms of the trash cans. It masks the garbage odr and makes it smell worse.
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 26 Dec 2009, 18:21

So you couldn't get your In-N-Out, so you get your trash ANIMAL STYLE?
That's going a little overboard, even if it IS In-N-Out.

And thought of Broccoli Rabe in the trash makes me weep.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 26 Dec 2009, 20:20

Lol, i wanna see that gps, and nice pic johnny

up at teh canyon we never had problems with animals, the occasional bear or mountain lion, but nothing big. only if you had a garden the elk loved to munch on it

also, whats with the new avatar alja?
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 26 Dec 2009, 22:17

i want to see that map too. and I also want to know what the dealie is with the new Aljavatar. No bears as of now tonight, by the way.
my personal site
JohnyMcmuffin
THERE'S Waldo!

Postby JohnyMcmuffin » 27 Dec 2009, 22:04

gcninja wrote:Lol, i wanna see that gps, and nice pic johnny

up at teh canyon we never had problems with animals, the occasional bear or mountain lion, but nothing big. only if you had a garden the elk loved to munch on it

also, whats with the new avatar alja?

It's an actual quiz too! The image is a link, and it doesn't take you to fearofmatt (for once)
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 27 Dec 2009, 22:40

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 27 Dec 2009, 23:02

nice quiz indeed.
my personal site
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 28 Dec 2009, 09:06

23 Seconds for me.

Return to “General Discussion”