why ham !?!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
OmegaTheta
First Video: Three PS3s/Unskippable

why ham !?!

Postby OmegaTheta » 26 Dec 2009, 09:46

so it just occured to me after 23 ish years of eating turkey and ham at Christmas that it makes NO sense at all to eat ham...or for ham to be at all related to the holiday at all! i mean...is that REALLY the way we should be celebrating a JEWISH mans birth? by eating copious ammounts of ham....which might i add is not kosher... anyways HAPPY BOXING DAY you crazy crazy citizens of the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Switzerland, Germany, Greenland, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Nigeria, Jamaica,and everyone else in the Commonwealth of Nations!<< i did my research!
Raw Raw....Fight the POWER
Seraphroy
First Video: Moving Out

Re: why ham !?!

Postby Seraphroy » 26 Dec 2009, 09:53

We eat it too, not that I'm complaining, I prefer ham to turkey anyhow.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 26 Dec 2009, 09:55

Christianity is full of hypocrisy, why not?
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 26 Dec 2009, 09:57

More appropriate question: Why did you think it was a good idea to make this topic?
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 26 Dec 2009, 10:24

And sir, I am a reformed grammar and spelling nazi, but your title just irks me so...
OmegaTheta

Postby OmegaTheta » 26 Dec 2009, 10:26

Nevrmore wrote:More appropriate question: Why did you think it was a good idea to make this topic?

the short answer is boredom the long answer is BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOREDOM! also i blame Square Enix
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 26 Dec 2009, 10:42

Probably that we ate the ham LONG before our traditions were tarnished with new names and our pagan rituals cast out in the honor of some new "Son of God"
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 26 Dec 2009, 10:55

Ham was probably the first big hunk of meat early settlers to North America could reasonably eat at their celebrations (pigs are best for first livestock as they grow quickly and breed fast as well).

As discussed in the New Testament, in the Christian tradition, Jesus' death made it such that we didn't have to follow the myriad rules and regulations of the Jewish religion. Part of those were, of course, the dietary restrictions, which means we now get to enjoy our bacon and lobster. Mmmm.

And were I to have a complaint about your post it would be this; ellipses are not to be abused in such a fashion.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 26 Dec 2009, 11:00

Turkey makes abolutely no sense in a religious context, too.

Hams and turkeys are feast foods. That's why people eat them on feasting occasions.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 26 Dec 2009, 11:01

Quick poll: how many jews here (surely there are some) keep kosher? Like actually.

The implied sentiment is that we really really don't.

However, my dad's fiancee does not allow pork products in the house except for chinese food (we still eat shrimp a lot though...I don't get it).
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 26 Dec 2009, 11:19

The primary tradition that I've heard is to have a bird on Christmas (in North America, often turkey due to the size). Although I suppose we've had ham on occasion for Christmas. Like madAlric said, it's good feasting food. Religion dictates that we celebrate, not how. Besides, in addition to what metcarfre said, my understanding is that the prohibition against pork started due to the prevalence of disease, and couching it in religious terms simply helped keep people alive (also, microbiology wasn't exactly an evolved field back then). Since that isn't much of a concern anymore, eat away.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
OmegaTheta

Postby OmegaTheta » 26 Dec 2009, 11:31

i want ot point out that im not complaining...i like ham and ate copious amounts of it... i just find it bewildering and delightfully amusing that we celebrate the birth of a person who was for his entire life (all two or 3 of them depending on which religion you subscribe to) was Jewish inn the most honest and pure sense of the word... anyways...i am going to go devour more ham sense this insane snow shows no signs of letting up long enough for me to go spend my Christmas cash on small arms and baked beans for the ever approaching apocalypse of 2012 and i will keep in mind the image of buddy Jesus... going "EHHHHH" with both thumbs held skyward as if telling me i am aighht and should carary on with my ham devouring... peace on earth and stuff btw
NachoManLance
First Video: The Stages

Postby NachoManLance » 26 Dec 2009, 13:02

I ate leftover pizza for Christmas. That's just how I roll.
http://twitter.com/NachoManLance

<Witty quote that induces a chuckle>
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 26 Dec 2009, 14:01

OmegaTheta wrote:so it just occured to me after 23 ish years of eating turkey and ham at Christmas that it makes NO sense at all to eat ham...or for ham to be at all related to the holiday at all! i mean...is that REALLY the way we should be celebrating a JEWISH mans birth? by eating copious ammounts of ham....which might i add is not kosher...
Early Christianity existed as a Reform movement of Judaism. Members of the early church believed that Jewish Law was being used as a crutch - that people were observing the letter of the law, but not the spirit.

The argument was that whether you follow the Jewish Law or not doesn't matter, so long as you are in a right relationship with Yahweh. You don't necessarily have to follow Jewish Law to be a good person, you just need to be a good person. You can follow the Law if it helps you to be a better person, but simply observing the law itself is useless if you are still immoral and out of touch with Yahweh.

Of course, there were and are differences of opinion. Paul, for example, really emphasized the notion of right relationship over adherance to law, in large part because he was ministering to Greek Gentiles for whom Jewish custom would be foreign and burdening to observe. Meanwhile, the early church in Jerusalem, under Peter, seemed to lean more toward the safe side of things and stressed observance of Jewish Law in addition to right relationship with Yahweh.

So eatting ham to celebrate Jesus? Arguably it can go either way.

~Alja~
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 26 Dec 2009, 14:18

italians traditionally eat things involving everything from lobster meat sauces and prosciutto dishes to pizzagaina which has ham egg and cheese baked together, are all traditional christmas (and often easter) dishes. so...
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 26 Dec 2009, 14:56

Ham radio provides a vital public service during emergencies, both as a backup for local communications such as police / EMA public service radios and as a primary emergency service for long distance communications in the event of the phone system going down, which is actually not nearly as unlikely as it sounds. Ham radio was used heavily in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina to get messages from disaster relief teams to the headquarters of the organizations.

Oh... wrong kind of ham. Oops.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 26 Dec 2009, 17:01

We had two 20 lbs hams for our Christmas party last week. We just made another 20 lbs ham today. I have eaten pretty much just ham for the last week. I am so freaking tired of ham.

It is however still my favorite meat. Slather it in dark brown sugar, ginger ale and Manishevitz (spelled that completely wrong) and I will still eat it up, just like I did today despite the fact that I have eaten a metric fuck ton of it already this week.
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
BritchesStitches
First Video: How to talk like a Pirate.

Postby BritchesStitches » 26 Dec 2009, 17:30

I had some turkey, though most people here (in Puerto Rico) eat pork.
This is not my signature.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 26 Dec 2009, 17:39

korri wrote:Slather it in dark brown sugar, ginger ale and Manishevitz

OK, that's just sacrilegious.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 26 Dec 2009, 18:51

Best. Use. Of. Maneschewitz. Wine. EVER.

That stuff is so freaking sweet. Literally. I swear it's 90% sugar, 9% grape, 1% alcohol.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 26 Dec 2009, 21:06

TomBrend wrote:Ham radio provides a vital public service during emergencies, both as a backup for local communications such as police / EMA public service radios and as a primary emergency service for long distance communications in the event of the phone system going down, which is actually not nearly as unlikely as it sounds. Ham radio was used heavily in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina to get messages from disaster relief teams to the headquarters of the organizations.

Oh... wrong kind of ham. Oops.

But why "HAM" there?

Does it stand for homemade AM?
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 26 Dec 2009, 21:13

Not quite (or at all):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology_of_ham_radio

In any case, Ham Radio is used in that context because of the nature of the setup, not the operators or use. That is, a small-scale setup that can often be readily disassembled (depending on the complexity) and transferred, lacks a dedicated large transmitter like commercial radio stations, and is often used for two-(or more)-way communication.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
NachoManLance
First Video: The Stages

Postby NachoManLance » 26 Dec 2009, 21:50

Master Gunner wrote:Not quite (or at all):

In any case, Ham Radio is used in that context because of the nature of the setup, not the operators or use. That is, a small-scale setup that can often be readily disassembled (depending on the complexity) and transferred, lacks a dedicated large transmitter like commercial radio stations, and is often used for two-(or more)-way communication.

Mmmm.... it's getting hot in here. >:3
http://twitter.com/NachoManLance

<Witty quote that induces a chuckle>
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 26 Dec 2009, 22:08

Master Gunner wrote:Not quite (or at all):

Actually, it's the service we operate in. Ham radio setups range from QRPPP rigs putting out less than a quarter of a watt to 1.5 kW transmitters connected to towers like this: Image

Ham radio is ham radio because it's used to communicate within the worldwide set of hams. Though the hobby of shortwave listening does sometimes result in unlicensed parties listening in on ham QSOs, the service exists as a two-way service strictly between licensed ham operatiors.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 26 Dec 2009, 22:57

Hmmm... we had a pork roast with panko and blue cheese.

Return to “General Discussion”