I've Got Christmas Money to Spend - What Anime To Use It On?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lorithad

Re: I've Got Christmas Money to Spend - What Anime To Use It On?

Postby Lorithad » 28 Dec 2009, 02:27

I'd like to point out that you're the only person i've known, be it online or in real life that has watched tekkaman blade besides myself. I own the series on dvd.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 28 Dec 2009, 02:32

Same here, Alongside New Dominion Tank Police it was the first anime I watched 12 years ago (currently writing a screen play of Tekkaman as a film). I'm glad I have mine on DVD, not sure if I want to go for Tekkaman Blade II yet.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
D-Darsh
First Video: The Quantum Documentary

Postby D-Darsh » 28 Dec 2009, 05:46

No way other people who watched Tekkaman Blade, Elomin Sha I would avoid Tekkaman Blade II it leaves a lot to be desired and it really doesn't get decent until about halfway in it seems to be filled with a lot of fanservice.

I would definitely recommend GunXSword if I only had to make 1 recommendation.

Others would be

Gundam Char's Counterattack
Gundam F91
Nadesico
Big O
Overman King Gainer
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 28 Dec 2009, 08:25

You two take the people I know who have watched Tekkaman to three (apart from me).

Bought Appleseed today, will enjoy it later. My local HMV's anime section has shrunken recently so not much to choose but the did have Trigun and Guren Lagen (next time I go I'll get them).

EDIT

Appleseed was a bit of a let down compared to Masamune's other work, it never really picked up.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 28 Dec 2009, 18:56

HONEST SUGGESTION:

Whatever you decide to go for, especially if it's something new, watch an EP on YouTube (subbed or dubbed, your choice).

Make sure you LIKE IT before you BUY it.

That being said:
Full Metal Alchemist
Rurouni Kenshin
Neon Genesis Evangelion (make sure you also get End of Evangelion)

Alternates (ones I've watched & liked):
Negima! (Manga was/is better)
Ouran High School Host Club (ending could've been better)
Code Geass (still have yet to watch this)
Elfen Lied
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Fruits Basket (wasn't bad, more cute-sy)
Zoids: Chaotic Century
Zoids: New Century Zero **early '90s flashbacks, anyone?
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Niko88

Postby Niko88 » 28 Dec 2009, 21:19

Last Exile-- it takes a bit to really get going but if you love the steam punk as I do you will really dig it.
Why do I love the blinking street lights so much?
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 29 Dec 2009, 12:33

the amativeness wrote:
Whatever you decide to go for, especially if it's something new, watch an EP on YouTube (subbed or dubbed, your choice).

Make sure you LIKE IT before you BUY it.

That being said:
Full Metal Alchemist
Rurouni Kenshin
Neon Genesis Evangelion (make sure you also get End of Evangelion)

That's basically what I did with Pani Poni Dash and Ergo Proxy (I usually dl a torrent of an ep too).

Can't believe I forgot to add Akira to my list of what I've seen.
I've watched End of Evangelion, had to watch it three times to understand what was going on.
Philip
First Video: Desert Bus Killed the Internet Star

Postby Philip » 11 Jan 2010, 06:57

I don't know if the matter of buying a new Anime is already solved, but I think I still need to say something here.

Considering your preferences with your watched Anime you seem to like mecha and dystopia, correct? Well. If you go for the crazy fun ride, you will probably be satisfied with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. It was suggested a couple of times, but I am going to spell it out one more time: Gurren Lagann is considered to be the most fucking amazing Anime in the newer Mecha Genre. It's just over-the-top manly action that will blow your mind. It starts out a little slow though and the presentation is something that may or may not appeal to you, it seemed ugly to me at first but then it has a very distinctive style that will grow on you. Also: it does not take itself serious, in fact it parodies a lot and is often ridiculous.

If you like supernatural + mecha battles and a huge portion of Melodrama, then you should probably look into Code Geass, which is probably on of the Anime of the decade in the community. Code Geass has a lot of clever tactics going on and takes itself serious to a certain degree, however the style of the presentation and the animation is very colorful and there are some funny scenes in the often tragic story. The plot is actually really interesting and the world of Code Geass will quickly suck you in, if you are open for it.

If you want to cry and watch an epic tear jerker for a change, then go and watch Clannad, which is awesome in it's own way. Although it has a very cute style with really really big eyes and colorful animation, which can be hard to watch if you prefer... Ergo Proxy or something, but then again you watched Poni Poni Dash :D

You can also try Darker Than Black, if you are into Dystopian near future with supernatural elements. I guess there is just too much to recommend. If you are interested in more recomendations you can send me a message :)
Let the words and letters be your colors and let your soul be the brush, that paints a new reality
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 11 Jan 2010, 09:35

It's kind of been sorted (Haven't bought Gurren Lagen) I bought Area 88, the recut editions of GITS Individual Eleven and The Laughing Man. Just waiting for them and Magical Shopping Arcade now. Moving on to Gun Slinger Girl next and then I may take a wild stab at something I'm not sure on aka Gurren Lagen.

You're pretty much bang on correct for what I like in anime. Other anime I like are the ones which have me at the end go: What the hell is going on here? confusion on my face which will make me watch it again and go ohhhhhhhh I see now.
Philip
First Video: Desert Bus Killed the Internet Star

Postby Philip » 12 Jan 2010, 09:19

You picked wisely, although I would always recommend Gurren Lagann if you do not know what to buy next. So you did buy Magical Shopping Arcade? I was wondering if I should watch that, because it sounded really interesting and it appeared to be filled with a lot of what-the-fuck-moments, but then again I do not buy Anime, because it's simply not offered in my area and it is way to expensive here.

A word on Gunslinger Girl. I have seen the first season, it was one of my first subbed Anime, before I really started to get into it and make it one of my hobbies. At that time I think the first season is pretty good and had a somewhat nice ending. The problem is, that the series doesn't end with the first season, although you can watch it like that. The second season is called Gunslinger Girl: Teatrino and I haven't seen that one, but the general opinion is, that it is compared to the first season, not really good. I don't know how that might affect your purchase, but I thought I might tell you. The difference between those two season is I think caused by a change of the animation group. Teatrino is lacking in many ways.
I can recommend the first season though :)

Another "What the hell is going on" Anime I can really really recommend to you, is "Baccano" if you watch the first episode you will probably not get anything that's happening but throughout the whole thing the pace will quicken and you will begin to unravel the mistery behind the Anime, which is really entertaining. Mainly because there are so many interesting characters.
Let the words and letters be your colors and let your soul be the brush, that paints a new reality

Return to “General Discussion”