I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
User avatar
MattAn
Posts: 1233
Joined: 15 Sep 2009, 13:07
First Video: You're Kidding
Location: Perth, Ausphailia
Contact:

I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby MattAn » 13 Jan 2010, 07:30

Right, so there's a new reason to despise NBC and everything they stand for.. And I don't even HAVE NBC in Australia! First the announcement of Jimmy Fallon replacing Conan as Late Night host..(Seriously? Did Jon Stewart turn it down? Chris Rock? Stephen Colbert? Byron Allen? Dave Attell? Arj Barker? Steve Byrne? Wyatt Cenac? Jamie Foxx? Jim Gaffigan? D. L. Hughley? Denis Leary? Wow, I could go on!)

But now they've really lowered the standards. Apparently due to The Jay Leno Show's horrid ratings, NBC has decided they're going to hinder Conan, Jimmy AND Carson Daly's timeslots in the process and bump everything later.

As Conan mentions in an official statement below, The Tonight Show and Late Night are landmarks for the timeslots they currently have.

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn’t the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it’s always been that way.

Yours,

Conan


What are everyone's thoughts on this? I made a Note about the whole thing via my Facebook here.
Image
User avatar
Matt
LRR Crew
Posts: 9742
Joined: 14 Mar 2004, 00:19
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby Matt » 13 Jan 2010, 08:29

Leno needs to just step down gracefully. He's a multimillionaire, he's had his run, and clearly he's demonstrated that people weren't tuning into the tonight show because "leno was on it". let conan have his turn.

-m
Image

I am not angry at you.
User avatar
Dubious_wolf
Posts: 2761
Joined: 30 Nov 2009, 09:52
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2
Location: My room eating YOUR cheese-its

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby Dubious_wolf » 13 Jan 2010, 09:13

I actually tend to disagree... Conan well is bad and no one wants to watch him on the late show. Leno is fairly good (more obnoxious then he used to be but ok.) the problem is that no one wants to watch A talk show during prime time hours, the masses would much rather watch a drama or a comedy or anything of that nature. Talk shows can't survive primetime which is why the Leno Show tanked. Conan is just not funny so that is why he tanked. So once you re-establish Leno as the Late Show host the ratings will most likely return to normal.
^( " )^
winner!
User avatar
Dubious_wolf
Posts: 2761
Joined: 30 Nov 2009, 09:52
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2
Location: My room eating YOUR cheese-its

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby Dubious_wolf » 13 Jan 2010, 09:13

I actually tend to disagree... Conan well is bad and no one wants to watch him on the late show. Leno is fairly good (more obnoxious then he used to be but ok.) the problem is that no one wants to watch A talk show during prime time hours, the masses would much rather watch a drama or a comedy or anything of that nature. Talk shows can't survive primetime which is why the Leno Show tanked. Conan is just not funny so that is why he tanked. So once you re-establish Leno as the Late Show host the ratings will most likely return to normal.
^( " )^
winner!
User avatar
MattAn
Posts: 1233
Joined: 15 Sep 2009, 13:07
First Video: You're Kidding
Location: Perth, Ausphailia
Contact:

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby MattAn » 13 Jan 2010, 09:23

You raise a valid point, Matt. Although in the beginning, I didn't mind so much that Jay had a new show lined up in primetime, Conan got to finally live his dream and take over the rightfully deserved Tonight Show chair. I'm certain that David Letterman is fully supporting Conan after what Jay did to his hopes of the Tonight Show all those years ago. I'm also sure the Jay isn't intending all this extra weight on Conan's back, seeing as supposed friends don't do that.

Conan really gained a lot more respect from me after reading his official statement. He's not being superficial, he's not bringing his personal vendettas into this dispute. He's merely standing up for what he believes in, which is the integrity of The Tonight Show and what late night TV history stands for. Kinda hard to gain MORE respect from that because I already think he's the best damn talk show host on TV, followed closely by Letterman/Ferguson's combo and Rove McManus, who I mentioned on Facebook as Australia's answer to late night TV.

People I've noticed that are supporting Jay over Conan, Jimmy and Carson (because let's face it, he's not just offending Conan, he's also pushing the other shows later too) are all saying very similar to what Kevin Smith from Clerks has been tweeting;

When you've got the ratings, that doesn't matter. At all.

This isn't about who's funnier/better. More late-night watching Americans are comfortable with Leno than any other late night host. He's familiar and (deny all you want) affably funny. Folks tune in en masse for his monologue, make it through the desk piece, then fall asleep/tune out by first guest. People have been doing this for nearly two decades now; they don't want to change. The ratings reflected that, but NBC went ahead and upset the perfectly balanced apple cart. Now they've got apple sauce.

I hope Conan ditches NBC. He is getting fucked in this whole fiasco. It's just ironic, considering NBC was trying to do right by him in the first place by giving him the TONIGHT SHOW. Problem was, it was at the expense of the guy with the actual audience (most people refer to THE TONIGHT SHOW as THE LENO SHOW), who didn't want to go anywhere, but was handed a five year dismissal notice in favor of, yes, a youth movement (which is funny, considering Conan's not exactly "young").


This isn't exactly true at all, referring back to what you said, Matt. Leno, to me, is more likely to be laughed at with the monologue he does. Jimmy Kimmel did a perfect impression (and when I say perfect, I mean horrible to the point where it was actually legit) of Jay Leno for the entirety of Jimmy Kimmel LIVE! on ABC. There are a lot of people supporting Conan, simply because he was promised this long-term gig and now suddenly NBC wants to play with the schedule and make it suit their apparent poster child. Conan's had a lot of viewers for over 17 years and it just hasn't ended, if it did, he would've been off the air and replaced years ago! If Jimmy Fallon can withstand more than 7 months of Late Night, there's no reason why Conan should be treated like this.

Kevin's right about one thing. In a way, I hope Conan DOES ditch NBC. He doesn't deserve the shit he's being served with. FOX has been wanting to grab him for a long time and I'm certain that his ratings will sky-rocket past Leno and Letterman's little feud.

@Dubious_wolf, firstly, it's the Tonight Show. The Late Show is Letterman's gig and quite frankly, Conan IS funny. He does one thing most hosts don't do and that's improvise. Conan's also more likely to make fun of himself, which is perfect! His overall delivery and enthusiasm completely trumps Leno's. As I said, it's highly unlikely he would've been so popular with Late Night if he simply wasn't funny. NBC is simply doing what they do best, fuck the system and in turn, their entire line-up. Why do you think Scrubs packed up and moved to ABC? Conan also has a worldwide audience, whereas Leno isn't exactly popular elsewhere at all. It's showed that no one's really even watching him in prime-time.
Image
User avatar
epocalypse
Posts: 2870
Joined: 19 Nov 2009, 12:17
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.
Contact:

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby epocalypse » 13 Jan 2010, 09:24

edit:

hrrmm, something weird is a foot... can't delete this, so just ignore it till i can. here's a picture of a cute thing:

Image
Last edited by epocalypse on 13 Jan 2010, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
User avatar
epocalypse
Posts: 2870
Joined: 19 Nov 2009, 12:17
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.
Contact:

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby epocalypse » 13 Jan 2010, 09:27

Dubious_wolf wrote:I actually tend to disagree... Conan well is bad and no one wants to watch him on the late show. Leno is fairly good (more obnoxious then he used to be but ok.) the problem is that no one wants to watch A talk show during prime time hours, the masses would much rather watch a drama or a comedy or anything of that nature. Talk shows can't survive primetime which is why the Leno Show tanked. Conan is just not funny so that is why he tanked. So once you re-establish Leno as the Late Show host the ratings will most likely return to normal.

Dubious_wolf wrote:I actually tend to disagree... Conan well is bad and no one wants to watch him on the late show. Leno is fairly good (more obnoxious then he used to be but ok.) the problem is that no one wants to watch A talk show during prime time hours, the masses would much rather watch a drama or a comedy or anything of that nature. Talk shows can't survive primetime which is why the Leno Show tanked. Conan is just not funny so that is why he tanked. So once you re-establish Leno as the Late Show host the ratings will most likely return to normal.


I completely disagree with the double post twins. Outside of Stewart and Colbert, Conan is the funniest late night persona, and he has not been given a proper chance at all. They need to let him keep going. The reason that both Conan and the local nightly news on NBC are tanking is because their lead in sucks really bad.

My money's on the pretty ho.

Leno's not that at fault here, but he's not funny any more, and I hope NBC tanks if they go with this stupid.

I'm also hoping that they streamline Late Night and just have it be run by the much more professional, talented and comedic members of the show, leaving us with Late Night with the Roots Crew
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
User avatar
Matt
LRR Crew
Posts: 9742
Joined: 14 Mar 2004, 00:19
Location: Victoria, BC
Contact:

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby Matt » 13 Jan 2010, 09:32

I disagree on just about every count.

conan is smart, witty, and genuine. his show and his mateial is consistently solid, and funny on both goofy and intellectual levels.

Leno's material is all about making others look stupid and himself look smart. it's mean spirited and easy comedy, and his schtick has gotten stale as hell.

the leno show tanked because no one wants to watch a talk show in prime-time, and because Leno isn't strong enough to carry a show's ratings on his own.

Conan's show tanked because leno tanked the ratings of the evening news - which meant there was a DRASTICALLY smaller audience to carry over into the tonight show, and since conan targets a different viewer demographic from leno, coco needed some time to etch out his audience.

The ratings of the tonight show would have bounced back. The leno show was doomed.

regardless of who you prefer, there's no question that NBC fucked the everlovin shit out of conan.

They dangled a carrot in front of him for nearly a decade, made him uproot himself and his family for a cross country move, and then screwed him on the deal. He's put in his time, and he deserves what he was promised.

-m
Image

I am not angry at you.
User avatar
MattAn
Posts: 1233
Joined: 15 Sep 2009, 13:07
First Video: You're Kidding
Location: Perth, Ausphailia
Contact:

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby MattAn » 13 Jan 2010, 09:47

epocalypse wrote:I completely disagree with the double post twins. Outside of Stewart and Colbert, Conan is the funniest late night persona, and he has not been given a proper chance at all. They need to let him keep going.

My money's on the pretty ho.

Leno's not that at fault here, but he's not funny any more, and I hope NBC tanks if they go with this stupid.


Didn't you know? Double post twins is cruise control for opposing view!

Stewart and Colbert have a PERFECT partnership, you're right about that. Conan brings an entertaining monologue primarily filled with his own material, with practically NO accompaniment from the band, whereas Jay requires Kevin and the band to constantly play the same riff after every joke. Paul Shaffer at least varies it up a bit for Dave's monologue. Also, as I stated previously, Conan takes jabs at himself too, only other person I know that does that is Dave. Jay tends to rely on the same old material, often ending in anti-climatic punchlines that just make him look like an asshat.

Conan's been doing the Tonight Show for only 7 months. He's had solid ratings, with upbeat segments and iconic moments. The fact that NBC has the nerve to suddenly shaft all three late-night hosts solely to suit their poster-child, Jay, to a better timeslot? That's just a low blow by itself. Johnny Carson was never actually too approving of Jay succeeding him. Letterman was originally supposed to be the next Tonight Show host, with Conan inheriting Late Night. Yes, at the forefront, Conan's a writer. Early The Simpsons and Saturday Night Live proves he's good at what he does. He tends to write his own material too and has, by far, THE best staff members in the business. Australia's Rove had a nice bunch of writers and producers too.. But overall, Conan doesn't deserve the kind of crap he's getting. He was promised the Tonight Show, Jay promised a smooth transition, with no drama involved and now look where we are.

Going on from what Matt said as well, he did sacrifice everything he had in New York and make the big move to LA. This was a life-changing decision and NBC made that deal concrete.

Coco the pretty ho for the show-show~! God I adored Deon Cole's explanation of the late night schedule..

EDIT: Let me be clear though, I don't HATE Jay Leno's prime-time show, I still watch it daily. But the jokes are somewhat lackluster and the only thing I've really liked watching is the green car challenge and some of the correspondent segments. Hamish & Andy from Australia really surprised me.. Twice, too. But after this recent outburst, I'm not surprised that Conan's a tad miffed. Hell, I AM surprised that Conan hasn't already thrown threats at Jay! Granted, Jay's even said that he doesn't even know the full plan and he really had (I believe) the best wishes for Conan in the transition. Jay can't be The Tonight Show host forever, it has to change and have a fresh new look at times! Otherwise we would never really have had Johnny Carson and every other host before him.

In saying that, Dave Letterman's been doing the Late Show for almost a lot longer, but he started Conan's career, so it's good to see that he's putting his support behind Conan, I think he even offered Conan his job, right? =O Maybe that was just a skit though, I'll soon find out in about half an hour!
Last edited by MattAn on 13 Jan 2010, 10:03, edited 2 times in total.
Image
User avatar
goat
Posts: 3710
Joined: 02 Feb 2009, 20:59

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby goat » 13 Jan 2010, 09:56

Matt wrote:I disagree on just about every count.

conan is smart, witty, and genuine. his show and his mateial is consistently solid, and funny on both goofy and intellectual levels.

Leno's material is all about making others look stupid and himself look smart. it's mean spirited and easy comedy, and his schtick has gotten stale as hell.

the leno show tanked because no one wants to watch a talk show in prime-time, and because Leno isn't strong enough to carry a show's ratings on his own.

Conan's show tanked because leno tanked the ratings of the evening news - which meant there was a DRASTICALLY smaller audience to carry over into the tonight show, and since conan targets a different viewer demographic from leno, coco needed some time to etch out his audience.

The ratings of the tonight show would have bounced back. The leno show was doomed.

regardless of who you prefer, there's no question that NBC fucked the everlovin shit out of conan.

They dangled a carrot in front of him for nearly a decade, made him uproot himself and his family for a cross country move, and then screwed him on the deal. He's put in his time, and he deserves what he was promised.

-m


This. All of this.
User avatar
GreigKM
Posts: 1863
Joined: 04 Jul 2009, 16:21
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)
Location: Meh, Places

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby GreigKM » 13 Jan 2010, 10:47

goat wrote:
Matt wrote:I disagree on just about every count.

conan is smart, witty, and genuine. his show and his mateial is consistently solid, and funny on both goofy and intellectual levels.

Leno's material is all about making others look stupid and himself look smart. it's mean spirited and easy comedy, and his schtick has gotten stale as hell.

the leno show tanked because no one wants to watch a talk show in prime-time, and because Leno isn't strong enough to carry a show's ratings on his own.

Conan's show tanked because leno tanked the ratings of the evening news - which meant there was a DRASTICALLY smaller audience to carry over into the tonight show, and since conan targets a different viewer demographic from leno, coco needed some time to etch out his audience.

The ratings of the tonight show would have bounced back. The leno show was doomed.

regardless of who you prefer, there's no question that NBC fucked the everlovin shit out of conan.

They dangled a carrot in front of him for nearly a decade, made him uproot himself and his family for a cross country move, and then screwed him on the deal. He's put in his time, and he deserves what he was promised.

-m


This. All of this.


And again.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
User avatar
wilson_x1999
Posts: 1090
Joined: 18 Aug 2007, 16:31
First Video: Quantum Documentary
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Contact:

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby wilson_x1999 » 13 Jan 2010, 10:56

What Matt said.


I wonder what will happen with the advertisers, most of the companies want to reach the young male crowd, and that's Conan's audience right there, I know for sure that I'm not gonna watch Leno's show if it goes at The Tonight Show's time slot and according to the internets, I'm not the only one.

Does anybody know a Nielsen family? o.o maybe you could convince them to watch Conan for the remaining weeks and then stop watching NBC altogether?
User avatar
JohnyMcmuffin
THERE'S Waldo!
Posts: 420
Joined: 17 Dec 2007, 18:24
First Video: The Stages
Location: Mountain View, CA
Contact:

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby JohnyMcmuffin » 13 Jan 2010, 11:01

GreigKM wrote:
goat wrote:
Matt wrote:I disagree on just about every count.

conan is smart, witty, and genuine. his show and his mateial is consistently solid, and funny on both goofy and intellectual levels.

Leno's material is all about making others look stupid and himself look smart. it's mean spirited and easy comedy, and his schtick has gotten stale as hell.

the leno show tanked because no one wants to watch a talk show in prime-time, and because Leno isn't strong enough to carry a show's ratings on his own.

Conan's show tanked because leno tanked the ratings of the evening news - which meant there was a DRASTICALLY smaller audience to carry over into the tonight show, and since conan targets a different viewer demographic from leno, coco needed some time to etch out his audience.

The ratings of the tonight show would have bounced back. The leno show was doomed.

regardless of who you prefer, there's no question that NBC fucked the everlovin shit out of conan.

They dangled a carrot in front of him for nearly a decade, made him uproot himself and his family for a cross country move, and then screwed him on the deal. He's put in his time, and he deserves what he was promised.

-m


This. All of this.


And again.

This is the bandwagon I want to be on.
Image
Image
User avatar
JohnyMcmuffin
THERE'S Waldo!
Posts: 420
Joined: 17 Dec 2007, 18:24
First Video: The Stages
Location: Mountain View, CA
Contact:

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby JohnyMcmuffin » 13 Jan 2010, 11:03

wilson_x1999 wrote:Does anybody know a Nielsen family? o.o maybe you could convince them to watch Conan for the remaining weeks and then stop watching NBC altogether?

I always find this funny, because that is my last name, so technically I am part of a Nielsen Family.
Image
Image
User avatar
Bananafish
Posts: 2914
Joined: 30 Mar 2009, 11:19

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby Bananafish » 13 Jan 2010, 11:03

As long as they don't touch 30 Rock.
User avatar
MattAn
Posts: 1233
Joined: 15 Sep 2009, 13:07
First Video: You're Kidding
Location: Perth, Ausphailia
Contact:

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby MattAn » 13 Jan 2010, 11:08

wilson_x1999 wrote:Does anybody know a Nielsen family? o.o maybe you could convince them to watch Conan for the remaining weeks and then stop watching NBC altogether?


Oddly enough, I do! The fact is.. Conan's ratings seem to be quite high, to be honest. He's had his constant fanbase for YEARS and that just hasn't diminished. I really haven't seen anything about his ratings being dull, in fact there's been much more rage against NBC for even thinking about bumping Conan back. He's even being rather supportive of Jimmy Fallon because he's outright refusing to force him to an even later timeslot. Jimmy may be rather annoying to watch, but it's still not fair to treat anyone like that!

I just watched Dave's input on the NBC debacle and it's simply hilarious. The whole thing is more of a jab at Jay and the NBC execs and a big boost to Conan, even stating that he's a smart man to be doing what he's doing. His clips of Law & Order: Leno Victims Unit was fucking brilliant as well. Ice-T as Carson Daly, I literally lol'd muchly at that..
Image
User avatar
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast
Posts: 5699
Joined: 04 Feb 2007, 21:03
Location: Deep In Space

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby Alja-Markir » 13 Jan 2010, 11:12

...

What is this.... television.... you speak of?

~Alja~
User avatar
korri
Posts: 2323
Joined: 14 May 2007, 12:02
First Video: I honestly can't remember...
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Contact:

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby korri » 13 Jan 2010, 11:15

I don't watch a lot of late night, but the few times I have, I found Conan to be hilarious and Jay to be 'meh'. I don't understand why NBC is giving Leno his old time slot back even though he had terrible ratings. I understand that Conan didn't have great ratings either, but didn't they have a contract?

In all this it just seems like Conan is getting screwed....
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
User avatar
MattAn
Posts: 1233
Joined: 15 Sep 2009, 13:07
First Video: You're Kidding
Location: Perth, Ausphailia
Contact:

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby MattAn » 13 Jan 2010, 11:50

For the record, I just checked through a page of comments on one of the recent segment videos (Howie Mandel's Deal or No Deal Conan segment) on The Tonight Show's official site.. The entire page is filled with "WTF NBC? You're just going to further ruin late night TV for your network and people will just switch to Letterman!"

Celebrities have even rallied behind Conan on this one. There's been a call to action for celebrities/potential guests, if Jay were to retake the Tonight Show franchise, to completely boycott it and refuse to be a guest on his show.

Disregarding contracts here, he made a PROMISE to his supposed friend that he would step down and let Conan fully take over the reigns. Jay then suffered a brain aneurysm, realized that he simply MUST have more screen time, so he pandered to the executives for a prime-time show.

Even if you're a fan of Jay Leno, you obviously should be against how Conan's being treated by NBC! Jay could just as easily do a "once-a-week show".. Hell, Rove McManus did "Rove Live", then "ROVE" for ten straight years, once a week in Australia. Starting out, it was every Tuesday night, then with the re-branding and name-change to just "ROVE", he moved to Sunday night primetime. Why can't Jay do something similar and give the newer/experienced hosts take their rightful place. Conan on the Tonight Show and Jimmy on Late Night, even though I don't understand why Jimmy Fallon got Late Night, to his credit, he HAS created some rather iconic and funny segments... Except for "Wheel of Carpet Samples", that thing can die in a fucking FIRE.
Image
User avatar
empath
Posts: 13530
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 17:20
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: back in the arse end of nowhere

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby empath » 13 Jan 2010, 13:02

I was a Johnny fan - Karnac, etc. I grew up with Mr. Carson on the Tonight Show, and then this goofy guy with the gap between his teeth on Late Night afterwards that I couldn't always stay awake to watch, but did so on enough occasions to think Letterman was okay, too.

I've NEVER been at all impressed with Jay Leno; even his Doritos ads smacked of irritating smugness ("Crunch all you want, we'll just make more.") I basically stopped watching nighttime talk shows when Johnny Carson stepped down, and while I looked on the byzantine machinations with a bemused eye, I didn't really care one way or the other when things settled down with Leno on NBC and Letterman on CBS.

When I graduated from high school, and started staying up later in my college years, I started looking around, and after checking both out, my TV would be showing The Late Show, not The Tonight Show. Because of that, I rarely checked out Late Night with Conan O'Brian - what I did see was pretty good, but still, I'd be hitting the sack instead of watching any 'post big-name-talk-show'.

I agree with a lot of what Matt and others have said on this:

1) O'Brian has proven he can find and keep an audience,
2) O'Brian had an agreement with NBC that they are quite simply reneging on,
3) Leno isn't much more than the second-rate stand-up comic that NBC latched onto, and looking over Tonight Show and Late Show ratings shows a DROP of viewership from NBC's offering to CBS's. (and I was one of that shift),
4) heck, what Conan himself said is true: The Tonight Show has ALWAYS come on right after the late news - for DECADES. Messing with tradition - especially a successful tradition - is neither wise, fair or even selfishly profitable.

And I think part of my personal dislike of Leno and his performances stems from a trivial and superficial thing: his large chin reminds me of that weasel Brian Mulroney...
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
MattAn
Posts: 1233
Joined: 15 Sep 2009, 13:07
First Video: You're Kidding
Location: Perth, Ausphailia
Contact:

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby MattAn » 13 Jan 2010, 14:35

The main problem with this whole thing is that NBC and Jay made a firm promise and commitment to Conan that The Tonight Show would be HIS show, a new show comes with a new audience! Jimmy Fallon hasn't kept Conan's Late Night audience just because it's still Late Night! Just the same as Johnny Carson and Jay Leno should NEVER be compared. They're two entirely different people with different comedic styles altogether. Jay's hosted the Tonight Show for longer than Conan's hosted Late Night, you can't just keep him held up in the same Late Night set for years and years when he's clearly experienced enough for something better.

Carson humbly retired and did not return. Leno is simply trying to milk NBC for every minute of fame he can get. It was stated by contract that his tenure as Tonight Show host would end so that Conan could step up. The whole Jay Leno Show idea should never have been even remotely thought about. Granted, there have been some great contributing correspondents to the new show, but it's not enough to rectify Jay's total lack of humor! He gets cheap laughs from the crowd, starts every joke with "Did you hear about this?".. "NO. No we didn't hear about this, Jay! Kindly tell us what the fuck you're referring to! THEN ask us if we've heard about it!"

I don't even have to compare the hosts (Fallon included) to put this in Conan's favor. As empath said as well, changing timeslots for these iconic programs (Tonight Show AND Late Night) is just not right. Letterman hasn't changed his timeslot on CBS for well over 30 years! It's been the same time every night to this day. Why must NBC have this problem? In a way, I do hope Conan ditches NBC, not only will he get a hefty 40 million dollars for a breach of contract by NBC, he'll also end up on another network, probably FOX or HBO (where he'll absolutely SHINE) at the same timeslot as Jay AND Dave and he'll completely blitz the competition.
Image
User avatar
Theremin
Posts: 7603
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 12:24
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.
Location: Bristol, England

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby Theremin » 13 Jan 2010, 14:37

I heard the news today, oh boy, four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire...
User avatar
MattAn
Posts: 1233
Joined: 15 Sep 2009, 13:07
First Video: You're Kidding
Location: Perth, Ausphailia
Contact:

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby MattAn » 13 Jan 2010, 14:40

Theremin wrote:I heard the news today, oh boy, four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire...


But the... How the.. Hu-whaaaaaaaaaaaaa? WHAT IS THIS I DONT EVEN!?

That's got nothing to do with anything!
Image
User avatar
Bananafish
Posts: 2914
Joined: 30 Mar 2009, 11:19

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby Bananafish » 13 Jan 2010, 14:44

Hileict wrote:
Theremin wrote:I heard the news today, oh boy, four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire...


But the... How the.. Hu-whaaaaaaaaaaaaa? WHAT IS THIS I DONT EVEN!?

That's got nothing to do with anything!


Beatles. Get it?
User avatar
Theremin
Posts: 7603
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 12:24
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.
Location: Bristol, England

Re: I'm sure everyone's heard the news lately...

Postby Theremin » 13 Jan 2010, 14:46

I don't know american talkshow, but I do know Beatles...and the thread title reminded me of this a lot.

Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests