A $290,000 speeding ticket issude

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Re: A $290,000 speeding ticket issude

Postby sdhonda » 16 Jan 2010, 15:22

*steps outside for a moment*
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 16 Jan 2010, 15:41

metcarfre wrote:Good. I know of people who flagrantly disobey the law and budget for speeding tickets. I wish we had that system over here so rich douchebags would think twice before putting us mere mortals at risk.

I think in China a few months ago there was a case where a rich kid hit another person while going incredibly fast. The police initially said he wasn't going fast, but later changed their minds.

The kid he hit came from a poor family, was smart, and I believe got an internship and was going to be making more than his parents. I think it reignited a class war in China because people were incredibly pissed off, I wonder what happened.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 16 Jan 2010, 15:56

Every country should have income based fines. Ofc with a minimum limit so that you can't get away from the crime just because you are flat broke. But yeah it would be a good income for the government; if they can't tax the rich people then they should find another way to get their money :)

Also, create a asshole/duchbag fine.
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 16 Jan 2010, 15:58

Smeghead wrote:Also, create a asshole/duchbag fine.

BUT THEN BANNAFISH WOULD BE BROKE HAHAHH
JohnyMcmuffin
THERE'S Waldo!
First Video: The Stages

Postby JohnyMcmuffin » 16 Jan 2010, 16:16

Alja-Markir wrote:Perhaps the driver, being a professional driver, would have his license revoked and thus lose his means of living? Thus making drivers unwilling to speed for clients?

And if the driver is fired for not speeding, that'd be ground for a lawsuit.

~Alja~

I hope that is how it works
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 16 Jan 2010, 17:45

SammiRei wrote:
Alja-Markir wrote:Better still would be just revoking his license. Then no one dies.

~Alja~

This is assuming he'd actually stop driving, which may not be the case.

Yeah: check here for more details:
In Ontario, one of the most common crimes on the provincial court docket to actually go to trial is still drunk driving: in many of those cases, the drivers in question are already suspended from driving for previous drunk-driving offences. It's a regular occurrence here, too, police charging someone with impaired driving and, not incidentally, charging them with driving while disqualified as well.

I've been trying to find articles regarding a co-worker of mine that was working in the butcher shop of my store; he'd had a long history of DUIs, got his license revoked FOR LIFE in Newfoundland & Labrador, so he just went to Ontario, got hold of a temporary permit, and then just kept driving...and doing so while drunk. He ended up killing a young woman, as well as destroying his daughter's life - she worked in our store, too...but quit soon after he was arrested and the story broke - couldn't face us with the shame he brought on her.

Yeah, taking away his license REALLY helped, Alja.

Anyways, in all honesty, the scaled fine is a good idea, but it's not going to get across to this habitual offender, such a history of repeated contempt of law and public safety cries out for incarceration.
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 16 Jan 2010, 19:07

yeah thats the problem if you take away their liscense they still will drive and with out income based fines a lot of people pay the fine then a week later they are doing the same thing. its a hard thing to find aa olution that works for everybody.
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 16 Jan 2010, 19:34

Unfortunately, the matter of unsafe drivers continuing to drive is a problem of enforcement more than anything. Vehicles are such an ordinary part of life that it's impossible to prevent a determined person from getting behind the driver's wheel one way or another.

The least invasive way to handle it would be to declare the person a public menace. Someone who repeatedly drinks and drives clearly has a disregard for the safety of others that borders on the psychotic and sociopathic. They should be treated as such.

The only simple way to keep a reckless driver from endangering people is to lock them up. If someone took a shotgun and fired it randomly down a busy street, we'd put them away in an instant, even if no one was harmed. We don't allow dangerous people to roam free, people who lack an understanding of right and wrong, people who are a danger to themselves and others.

~Alja~

Return to “General Discussion”