Everyone Should See...

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Everyone Should See...

Postby Arius » 19 Jan 2010, 01:22

List movies you think everyone should see once and tell people why they should watch them.

Henry Fool (1997) - A cult film at its finest. It explores censorship and narcissism as well as a novel take on the "kind mentor" persona in so many films. The film is a good mesh of dark humour and drama. Not the best paced film, but it is deliberate and meaningful.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Re: Everyone Should See...

Postby Evil Jim » 19 Jan 2010, 01:47

The Wizard of Speed & Time (1989) A wonderful special effects feature by Mike Jittlov. The mostly true-life story of how he created his amazing 3 minute short film of the same name. It's a shame there isn't a higher quality version of the short available online because at the time it was made it contained more special effects shots than your average big-budget picture. The movie is out of print but it's definitely worth the effort of tracking down a VHS tape.

It should also be noted that the LRR crew loves this movie as well & Paul has cited it as an inspiration for making short films.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 19 Jan 2010, 03:32

Goodfellas (1990)
The word "fuck" is used in the film 300 times.

Pulp Fiction (1994)
The word "fuck" is used in the film 265 times.
ChoTomoko
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby ChoTomoko » 19 Jan 2010, 04:36

Gosford Park (2002) The UK's finest actors all in one movie. Rich people being naughty, gossiping servants and murder. What maore can you want in a film?
I've been stabbed, shot at, impaled, been beheaded with a chainsaw, set on fire and had a parasite injected into me and I'M STILL NOT CRYING!
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 19 Jan 2010, 04:38

Synecdoche, NY (2008)- Simply put, an astounding film that in 10 years time will have a place the likes of 2001, 8 1/2, or Brazil in how groundbreaking it was for the medium of film. Also, just an extraordinary film.

Michel Gondry's Music Video and Short Film Collection

Spike Jonze's Music Video and Short Film Collection (both of which should be seen to show the genuine creative value that can be found in short and even commercial forms, and to respect the talent of these two directors)

π (1998) awesome mind fuck, great example of what can be done on a low budget.

Primer (2004) some of the hardest and tightest scifi ever written, and an astoundingly complex and engaging mystery that you will watch over and over again. The anti-Avatar, if you ask me (visually modest, astoundingly cheap, very short for a feature, and a much better film, IMHO)

8 1/2 (1963) Fellini's Magnum Opus and one of the singel greatest films of all time, very meta, and in the end the ultimate story of moving past creative block and failures.

Brazil (original or "European" cut) (1985) Dark comedy, scifi and drama hybrid, very strange and bizzare, and totally worth seeing.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) The best romantic film of all time, and one of the best films about memory of all time, and a film which demands to be watched over and over again.

Harold and Maude (1971) Fantastic and hilarious dark comedy, with an absurd edge and eccentric characters. Always a great film to watch.

Revolver (1992) (Short Film) My opinion, one of Liam Neeson's greatest roles. Awesomely simple film.

Night of the Living Dead (Public Domain) (1968) The thing you call zombies would only nearly exist as the vampires in "I Am Legend" (the novel) with out this film.

Duck Amuck (Looney Tunes) (1953) One of the single greatest cartoons ever made, it remains mind splitting and inventive to this day.

Porky in Wackyland (Looney Tunes) (1938) The only actual appearance of the Dodo character, and a completely insane surreal little film.

Pixar et al. Because they are made of quality like no one's business.

Akira (1988) Because it's awesome, and because, I shit you not, it is indirectly based on Pinocchio.

Shichin no Samurai (1954) the 7 Samurai is an amazing film, Kurosawa's best, and if you seen not other of his movies, you should see this

The Dollars Trilogy - Cause Clint Eastwood should always be a nameless cowboy.

Taxi Driver (1976) Because it made De Niro and Scorsese, and not without reason.

The Conversation (1974) simply put, you understand the power of sound in films after seeing this movie.

Day for Night (1974) This film is just remarkable, hilarious and immensely influential of many films being made today.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
elvor
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby elvor » 19 Jan 2010, 05:31

epocalypse, you have an excellent taste in films, I gotta say.

I keep meaning to pick up Synecdoche, NY at some point. It sounds really interesting.

As for my pics, all I will say now is:

Any and all Coen Brothers films, but especially No Country for Old Men (2007), for having one of the best villains I have seen in a movie, and The Big Lebowski (1998), for being generally awesome. (And incidentally uses the word "fuck" 260 times :P)
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 19 Jan 2010, 07:19

Epocalypse, that's a nice selection. I've seen & agree with most of the movies on your list. From the combination of what you've mentioned, I think you'd like the Wizard of Speed & Time too.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Tinasaur
First Video: Forget About It

Postby Tinasaur » 19 Jan 2010, 07:26

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)
To quote an imdb reviewer: "The film, although essentially a spoof of science fiction films and comic book superheroes, remains a delightful, inventive enigma of eighties cinema."
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 19 Jan 2010, 07:58

12 Monkeys (technically 1995, actually 1996)
Probably my favourite film, if you forced me to choose; certainly the one I've watched the most. I'm just a sucker for time travel plots, really. I know a lot of people consider Brazil to be Terry' Gilliam's best film, but I love the tight plotting that results from the time-travel aspect of 12 Monkeys, and there are some great performances, so I'd go for this one every time. Not that you shouldn't also watch Brazil.

Any Way the Wind Blows (2003)
A really funny slice-of-life film, which has a satisfyingly fresh and different feel to it, due to having a Belgian director who prefers French and Spanish cinema, and has positively my favourite film ending. Also the phrase "Open up! Police... and Art!"

Goodfellas (1990)
All anyone ever says when I bring up Goodfellas is "Oh, it's that film with loads of swearing in, isn't it?" Well, yes it is, but they didn't give Joe Pesci an Oscar just for swearing a lot; there's a little more to it than that. So just in case anyone here is under any kind of misapprehension about it, Goodfellas' fame comes from its sheer quality, not from any swearword-based notoriety. You should watch it.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 19 Jan 2010, 08:28

Casablanca (1942) - I saw this movie last year, and I found it VERY deserving of its fame. Some parts of it might seem "overdone" today due to the Seinfeld Effect, but even if it were made more recently, it would still be a very well put together film.

Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939) - The other blockbuster film of 1939, it only managed to wrangle the Oscar for Best Actor from the grip of Gone with the Wind (though they both lost Best Music to a film no-one remembers). Admittedly I'm thinking of it through Nostalgia Goggles, as the one time I saw it was years ago at my Uncle's collage (and about half my family were teachers at one point or another), but I still thoroughly recommend it from everything I've read about it since. Also, despite being set "in England", thanks to an almost pure British cast, the only "bad accent" is the German teacher's if you have a keen ear for the differences between Austrian and German accents.

The Maltese Falcon (1941/1931) - The 1941 version is regarded as the definitive movie adaptation of the book, and having seen it a couple months ago, it too is a damn good movie. Though I haven't seen it, the 1931 version (produced before the Hayes Code) is also apparently quite good.

So those are the "old" films I can vouch for and think you all should watch (I'd probably rank them in order you should watch Falcon -> Casablanca -> Chips).

For newer films: In Bruges. It is Amazing. That is all.

Also, Godfather. A bit slow by today's standards, but still a very in-depth and intriguing film.
Last edited by Master Gunner on 19 Jan 2010, 09:21, edited 1 time in total.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 19 Jan 2010, 08:30

The Gamers: Dorkness Rising (2008).

The single greatest full length nerd D&D movie to date. Find it and watch it. Also watch The Gamers in order to aid your understanding of a couple of jokes from The Gamers 2, otherwise its not important, theres practically no continuity.
Nothing to see here.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 19 Jan 2010, 08:37

Don't know how I forgot it earlier, but Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter (2001). Low budget Canadian film about Jesus hunting vampires who are preying on lesbians. It's awesome. And hilarious.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 19 Jan 2010, 08:37

City of God AKA Cidade de Deus (2002). Really an epic of sorts, this film follows the lives of two young friends growing up in the slums of Rio de Janeiro. As the years pass, one chooses a life of crime and gang violence; the other, to become a photographer. Over and above all this, though, is the story of Rio and its massive gang wars of the 70s and 80s. Richly told and beautifully shot, you can practically feel the salty humidity of the city in every scene. Yes, you have to read subtitles, but trust me, it's worth it.

Run Lola Run AKA Lola rennt (1998). A frenetic and visually interesting film with a pulsing techno soundtrack. "Lola receives a phone call from her boyfriend Manny. He lost 100,000 DM in a subway train that belongs to a very bad guy. Lola has 20 min to raise this amount and meet Manny. Otherwise, he will rob a store to get the money. Three different alternatives may happen depending on some minor event along Lola's run."

And I'll just second Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Edit: Oh! Oh! Go watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid too. It's awesome.

Double Edit:
Master Gunner wrote:For newer films: In Bruges. It is Amazing. That is all.

I don't know what it is, but I was severely disappointed by that movie.
elvor
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby elvor » 19 Jan 2010, 08:59

Dammit people, stop reminding me of awesome films I wanted to see! I only have so much free time!

Also, I know he's overhyped, and Pulp Fiction is already mentioned, but the collective works of Quentin Tarantino are some of my absolute favourite films.
epocalypse
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 19 Jan 2010, 09:14

metcarfre wrote:City of God AKA Cidade de Deus (2002). Really an epic of sorts, this film follows the lives of two young friends growing up in the slums of Rio de Janeiro. As the years pass, one chooses a life of crime and gang violence; the other, to become a photographer. Over and above all this, though, is the story of Rio and its massive gang wars of the 70s and 80s. Richly told and beautifully shot, you can practically feel the salty humidity of the city in every scene. Yes, you have to read subtitles, but trust me, it's worth it.

Run Lola Run AKA Lola rennt (1998). A frenetic and visually interesting film with a pulsing techno soundtrack. "Lola receives a phone call from her boyfriend Manny. He lost 100,000 DM in a subway train that belongs to a very bad guy. Lola has 20 min to raise this amount and meet Manny. Otherwise, he will rob a store to get the money. Three different alternatives may happen depending on some minor event along Lola's run."

And I'll just second Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Edit: Oh! Oh! Go watch Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid too. It's awesome.

It's interesting that you include both of those and second eternal sunshine, because my list actually started twice as long and had both of those. They are fantastic films. I plan to add some more later on, but for now I'm just watching the list evolve.

also, Jim: although I haven't seen or been able to get my hands on the feature of the Wizard of Speed and Time, I have seen the original short, and it's great stuff.
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Dark the Reaper
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Dark the Reaper » 19 Jan 2010, 09:14

Lucky Number Slevin (2006)
One of my favorites due to the mind fuckiness of the twist.....and Bruce Willis is a total badass
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 19 Jan 2010, 09:16

Machalllewis wrote:The Gamers: Dorkness Rising (2008).

The single greatest full length nerd D&D movie to date. Find it and watch it. Also watch The Gamers in order to aid your understanding of a couple of jokes from The Gamers 2, otherwise its not important, theres practically no continuity.

This. Very much this.

In the vein of low budget geek films. Press Start
The only video game movie I've enjoyed unironically. A ninja, a (female) space bounty hunter, and a spiky-haired youth unite to save the kindgdom. Count Vile is the best villain EVER!
Last edited by Mister Fiend on 19 Jan 2010, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 19 Jan 2010, 09:20

Press Start is awesome too!

I LOVE the commentary tracks on the dvd for those. I have never learnt so many cheap ways to do filming! And story decisions based on budget never really occured to me until I listened.

Count Vile does rock!
Nothing to see here.
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 19 Jan 2010, 09:28

And the sequel should be out this year!
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 19 Jan 2010, 10:22

A Bothersome Man, which is a depressive Norweigan thriller.

An American Werewolf in London, THE DEFINITIVE british horror film.

Withnail & I, a deranged and poetic farce of a character study.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 19 Jan 2010, 10:40

Epocalypse i'd have to agree with most of your list, except #1 Synedoche NY ended up just being to weird for the sake of weird. While it's a very good story I don't think it was told very well.

Damn glad somebody other than me and 2 of my friends have seen primer though, that movie is fantastic on every level.

To add to the list Death at a Funeral (the british not the american remake coming out) is fantastic comedy with both low and high brow traits.
Layercake: one of the best mobster movies to come out in the last 20 years
Redbelt: the most honest martial arts movie I've ever seen. Nothing Fancy, just the honour and skill of a warrior.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 19 Jan 2010, 11:03

~Alja~
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 19 Jan 2010, 12:56

let's see if i've come up with any others:

Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, cause I think that crazy crew are some of the most talented and skilled people working in comedy films today.

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (2001) Really, I'd say, one of the best happy straight up makes your day better movies ever made, and extraordinarily awesome visuals.

Delicatessen (1991) A lot like what would happen if you beat Amelie over the head with 12 Monkeys and added more cannibalism.

Oldboy (2003) the epitomy of revenge film, with awesome and gruesome turned up too such high dangerous battle levels that you'll need a claw hammer just to watch it.

Léon (or "The Professional")(1994) fantastic action and acting, Gary Oldman kicking some ass while evil, and just a great story through and through.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) even, EVEN if everything else about this movie was horrible, Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse are in the same scene at the same time. It's an added bonus that the movie is awesome and shows how the highways in LA were a insane cartoon conspiracy.

I'll add more later.

Also, zfubarz, I respect your opinion, and recognize it as valid, as long as you extend me the same courtesy on Death at a Funeral; that movie just does not do it for me.
my personal site
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 19 Jan 2010, 13:38

epocalypse wrote:Léon (or "The Professional")(1994) fantastic action and acting, Gary Oldman kicking some ass while evil, and just a great story through and through.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988) even, EVEN if everything else about this movie was horrible, Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse are in the same scene at the same time. It's an added bonus that the movie is awesome and shows how the highways in LA were a insane cartoon conspiracy.

Hells Yes.

And the director of Leon, Luc Besson, also did:

La Femme Nikita, which is almost like a female version of Leon.

Le Dernier Combat, a silent post-apocalyptic movie.
iamevilchris
First Video: Max Effect

Postby iamevilchris » 19 Jan 2010, 14:12

Dead Snow - think Evil Dead, but with medical students, Nazi zombies and it takes place in a cabin in Norway.

Pontypool - very interesting and different take on the zombie outbreak. takes place in a radio station in the small town of Pontypool, Ontario (an actual town in what may as well be the middle of nowhere).

Fido - set in a community modeled after the 1950's, and everyone has a zombie servant.

A Boy And His Dog - for fans of Fallout and Wasteland, which were pretty much inspired by this movie in addition to Mad Max.

Nightmare City - because the zombies fucking shoot people!

Carnival of Souls - one of the main influences of George Romero. a woman survives a drag race accident and is drawn to the mysteriousness of an old pavilion where a carnival used to be held. it's bizarre, and it's public domain, too. (it was remade in the 90's but i heard it was total crap)

Troll 2 - save this for bad movie nights with friends. i somehow managed to watch this in one sitting, completely sober. and yes, it really is as bad as people say it is. if you haven't heard the "Oh my God!" line yet, go here

Return to “General Discussion”