What level are you?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
DRog
First Video: Three PS3s

What level are you?

Postby DRog » 23 Jan 2010, 18:52

I just read a really great article on the Escapist, and it got me thinking. How would levels be measured in real life? I can think of a few, just simple things like years alive, but I think that everyone together can make a better definition of experience. There's also the question of skills, like strength, agility or endurance, to name the few I've thought of. You could have every 5 pounds you can lift be a point in strength, every 10 seconds faster in a mile be a point in agility, and however long you can do something, like running however many miles/kilometers be a point in endurance. Any other thoughts?

Article is here http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_237/7035-The-Tao-of-Leveling
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Re: What level are you?

Postby TomBrend » 23 Jan 2010, 20:39

http://xkcd.com/189/

I think that comic was a much more succinct version of the same concept.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 23 Jan 2010, 20:48

I once made an Excel spreadsheet that took physical characteristics and backwards engineered them into Dungeons & Dragons statistics, based on what a person could do if they had a given statistic compared to the average human norm of 10 in all stats.

For example, there's a table in 3.5 that relates each individual point of Str to how much weight you can lift above your head. Int I considered to be your IQ score over 10, rounding down (Because rounding up could mean an unfair bonus improvement), given that the average human has a 10 Int and the average IQ score is 100.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 23 Jan 2010, 21:04

It'd be pretty tough to do wisdom... it's kind of difficult to explain the difference between intelligence and wisdom to average non-gamers, and I can't think of a single way to measure it.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 23 Jan 2010, 21:17

I, myself, live in an RPG that has evolved beyond a leveling system. However I'm am stuck on a grid. Most embarrassing.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
DRog

Postby DRog » 23 Jan 2010, 22:11

I think wisdom may have to be a function of age and intelligence. Everybody always has the wise man be old anyway, so it could be something like age/10 plus int/2. Of course, that's not a perfect measure, but I think it works fairly well.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 23 Jan 2010, 23:05

In terms of known universal potentials, I'm Level Six of a maximum of nine.

Which doesn't sound nearly as impressive as my character level in AdventureQuest of 78.

~Alja~
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 23 Jan 2010, 23:07

I'm an eleventh level vice president
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 23 Jan 2010, 23:09

I put all my physical points into dexterity.

So, my strength and endurance stats are pretty low.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 23 Jan 2010, 23:57

My stats are Evil Jim: 100.

I have 100% of the capabilities & abilities of Evil Jim. Few in the world can say that.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
VanHelsing23

Postby VanHelsing23 » 24 Jan 2010, 00:02

I just need to kill a few more rapists and I'll level-up. You can level-up in tons of ways: Learn a new language; Help an old lady cross the road; successfully complete a trap-check. What I'm saying is, everyone is S.P.E.C.I.A.L in their own way(See what I did there?).
War is hell.
Hell is other people.
Therefore, War is other people.
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 24 Jan 2010, 00:20

You are not a unique or beautiful snowflake.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
VanHelsing23

Postby VanHelsing23 » 24 Jan 2010, 00:57

Oh no. You have crushed my spirit.
War is hell.
Hell is other people.
Therefore, War is other people.
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 24 Jan 2010, 01:00

Evil Jim wrote:You are not a unique or beautiful snowflake.

Dear Evil Jim:

<3

-kkief02

That is all
Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 24 Jan 2010, 01:16

Would you <3 me more if I actually got the line correct?

"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake."
kkief02

Postby kkief02 » 24 Jan 2010, 01:57

Evil Jim wrote:Would you <3 me more if I actually got the line correct?

"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake."

It was the thought that counted. But for the extra effort you get extra <3.

<3<3<3

-<3 kkief02

Graham wrote:It was less "filler" and more "I'm Morgan! I want to show off my hat! I have sex with dead horses!"
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 24 Jan 2010, 12:09

At my peak I was only 5.10b, so not very high at all.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 24 Jan 2010, 21:43

DRog wrote:I think wisdom may have to be a function of age and intelligence. Everybody always has the wise man be old anyway, so it could be something like age/10 plus int/2. Of course, that's not a perfect measure, but I think it works fairly well.

I think wisdom is actually the result of education and successful trial and error. The best definition I've heard of it is the successful survival of stupidity.

As for my levels, my puzzle solving, creativity, fiction consumption, and dexterity points are highest, followed closely by my art skills and pain endurance (emotional lower than physical) Those skills are the closest to maxxed out. My strength is below average, though I have a built in boost on lower body (I've never done serious weight training in my life, but am consistently able leg press about two times my body weight, which makes sense considering my legs are about thirty inches around at their widest point), I am above average in flexibility for a man of my weight and age, particularly considering that I don't work out barely at all, with a built in boost in upper body, as I'm double jointed in my shoulders, and have the ability to rotate them 360 degrees, giving me a naturally high score in escaping skills, and the ability to get out of a straight jacket. My worst areas are in dealing with nature (i'm allergic to many flora and fauna) non swimming aerobic endurance (asthmatic) and speed (ironically, considering the asthma, I'm a short, stout and muscle built guy with a body built for endurance, which is why, when swimming, where my asthma isn't an issue, and in climbing and free running, which can be done anaerobically, allowing myself to catch my breath while I figure out the next obstacle, I have a very long endurance and ability), maintaining long romantic relationships, particularly uncomplicated ones, weight, which should be about 30lbs less, and attention span. I'd say that out of a possible 100 levels, where 100 would be my perfectly idealized version of myself, I'm at about a 56.

I do not know my pH, magic, or rogue skills well enough to document them at this time.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 24 Jan 2010, 21:51

Wisdom, in my mind at least, is indeed experience based. Although it doesn't have to be direct influence, in that you can glean knowledge and wisdom from other sources, like text or other records.

~Alja~
operagirl95
First Video: n

Postby operagirl95 » 25 Jan 2010, 05:14

To me, wisdom and knowledge are two entirely different things. Wisdom is a product of how you (personally) interpret/react to/handle life, which is something a book cannot teach. Both are important to be successful. I've worked with many PhD's who had no wisdom at all.

tl;dr just putting my random $0.02 in.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 25 Jan 2010, 07:32

Knowledge is the information you have collected.
Intelligence is your ability to learn.
Wisdom is your ability to put knowledge to good use.

*scratches his head*

Roughly speaking. Your results may vary.

~Alja~
operagirl95
First Video: n

Postby operagirl95 » 25 Jan 2010, 07:51

Alja-Markir wrote:Knowledge is the information you have collected.
Intelligence is your ability to learn.
Wisdom is your ability to put knowledge to good use.

*scratches his head*

Roughly speaking. Your results may vary.

~Alja~

yeah, that.
Whitmore
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Whitmore » 25 Jan 2010, 08:57

I'm a level 82 Tired Mother-Fucker.

Only in this game, to win you have to try and work off your levels by sleeping.

That makes no sense, I'm going to bed.
The answer to everything is always tubes.
TheRocketSiobhan wrote:You:"He's the kind that completes me.. he is a best friend for life... that's what kind he is"
Hottie:"OMFG UR SEW IN TOUCH WITH FEELINGS. I WANT UR PENIS IN ME NOW"
DRog

Postby DRog » 25 Jan 2010, 14:47

Holy crap epocalypse, that was really long, but a pretty good way of saying it. Out of an idealistic 100, I think because of only a few things I'm about an 80. I could be better in a few areas, but I feel like I'm pretty well off at this point in my life.
SprintToTheFinish
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby SprintToTheFinish » 08 Feb 2010, 22:01

I'm defiantly going to start working on improving my stats, now that I have actual motivation. If I can get 14+ in all stats, I will go start exploring dungeons much more often.

Return to “General Discussion”