Canadian Ski Resorts

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Fumbles

Canadian Ski Resorts

Postby Fumbles » 26 Jan 2010, 09:17

So in the next year I intend to obtain a Canadian working visa and work up at one of the ski resorts. Trying to pick up as much info before deciding on anything

Which are the best resorts?
Anyone have any experience of working on one?
"I'd like to say to all the people of Australia - Kick me, I'm different."- Ron Hitler Barassi

TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Re: Canadian Ski Resorts

Postby TheRocket » 26 Jan 2010, 09:37

Haha I remember when I was younger, I HATED skiing and snowboarding. So when my parents would ask if I wanted to go to the resorts with them, I would only to check out all the hot Aussies that worked there. Good luck with your job search. I would checkout: Panorama, Sunshine, Lake Louise, and Canada Olympic Park.
Panorama is by far the most beautiful one I listed. Trouble is, I don't knwo how many people they hire, or i they hire lots of foreigners. I've always gone off season. I also imagine it would be most expensive lodging.
Sunshine is pretty nice, and Lake Louise is alright. But I have heard stories of foreigners being stranded for a place to live while working there.
COP (canada Olympic Park) is kinda weak for skiing, but they employ a lot of foreigners, and you would be in the city, so finding a place to live wouldn't be as hard.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 26 Jan 2010, 11:57

My soon-to-be brother-in-law worked at Sun Peaks and enjoyed it.

I would avoid Whistler if your primary goal is anything but skiing and enjoying scenery. It is far, far too expensive living there for you to save any money. The smaller mountains mean you can probably find reasonable accommodation.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 26 Jan 2010, 12:02

Yeah, honestly, I think your biggest hurdle is going to be crazy expensive living accomodations. Make sure you have them worked out before you arrive. I can't tell you how many foreigners make that mistake, and end up homeless and balls deep in the mountains.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 26 Jan 2010, 12:31

Crazy expensive cost of living is, I agree, going to be an issue just about anywhere you go. But if you go to Whistler, Mount Washington (on Vancouver Island), or Big White (Kelowna) - to name the few I know - you can fairly easily travel to Victoria to stalk LRR people. With cake, of course. :)
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 26 Jan 2010, 13:21

The best ones i've ever been to have been Big white and Silver Star. They're up by Kelowna and Vernon respectivly. I've talked to Austrailian and New zealand workers up there. My overall impressions are that living conditions suck, the job is fun, and you have people hitting on you all day long.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 26 Jan 2010, 13:47

If you feel like the other coast (which I doubt you will, since you already have to cross the Pacific), Poley Mountain (although it isn't actually a mountain) is about as good as you're going to get in Atlantic Canada. It's small, and I don't know if they'd hire foreigners, but cost of living would be fairly low (especially compared to BC).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 26 Jan 2010, 15:28

Whistler/blackomb is the only resort anyone actually cares about.

-m

I am not angry at you.
concupiscentcrustacean
First Video: black box

Postby concupiscentcrustacean » 26 Jan 2010, 17:14

I definitely second Sun Peaks - I love it up there(and I know people who have worked there, and had a great time). Also I third Big White, as it is also pretty sweet.
I'm a Huge fan of cypress myself not quite a busy as Whistler, but just as beautiful.
And as Matt said -there's whistler/blackcomb. My favorite run ever is at Whistler, but I have trouble with how full it is ALL THE TIME. They DEFINITELY hire foreigners though.
Actually, most BC ski resorts do, we get alot of Aussi and NZ lifties and teachers.
"I studied the ancient art of Origami gun making, and i've folded a pistol out of purest prose. This is an Origami 45. The most powerful poetry in the world."
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 26 Jan 2010, 18:00

I've known a few people who worked at Lake Louise and loved it, they were both Canadian though.

Also the only thing east worth mentioning is really Tremblant, and it isn't that good, although the village is ok.

I should mention I've never been west though.
Fumbles

Postby Fumbles » 26 Jan 2010, 21:03

Cheers everyone

Liking Whistler at the moment. Looks like an awesome resort and at $306.00 per month for staff accommodation (that being the cheapest option of course), it's not looking too crazy expensive

Lorithad wrote:living conditions suck, the job is fun, and you have people hitting on you all day long.

I am ok with this
"I'd like to say to all the people of Australia - Kick me, I'm different."- Ron Hitler Barassi

CommanderKeen
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby CommanderKeen » 26 Jan 2010, 23:37

If you're just looking at Resorts and don't care about saving money, go to whistler. If you don't mind an hour commute every morning by shuttle bus i'd go with one of the local mountains around Vancouver. Cypress Mountain, Grouse Mountain or Mt. Seymour. Find a place to live in Burnaby or Vancouver and you can still have all the fun of a winter wonderland and still live in a city.

Though, that all depends on the weather.

Return to “General Discussion”