iPad

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Re: iPad

Postby Cureless_Poison » 31 Jan 2010, 21:16

I think iPad is a pretty cool gadget, it plays games and doesn't afraid from any stupid jokes.
Intellectually funky

Postby Intellectually funky » 31 Jan 2010, 21:22

I guess at the end of it all we ALL expected some huge amazing device that would do the same to the world like the Iphone did, We got our hopes up and we were left underwhelmed with the "its a laptop with a touch screen!" idea.

Sure it has the potential to do something great, yes i'm disappointed it can't do more then one thing, but the Iphone is just coming out with commercials saying that it can multitask so maybe in time these things that we're all bitching about will get fixed and we'll say"well shit... I haz gotz to get onezz!!1!" and run out to get one.
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception. - Groucho Marx

March Hare: Ah, that's just it. If you don't think, then you shouldn't talk.
ExplodingSims

Postby ExplodingSims » 31 Jan 2010, 21:25

Or better yet, the competitors are listening and will fix them. And offer a lower price!
He who would sacrifice a little liberty for a little security deserves neither.
Currently Failing my way through college.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 01 Feb 2010, 00:03

Graham wrote:I absolutely did not think of a hygiene pad until someone else made that joke to me, and upon that first hearing, the joke was played out.

I have to agree. Even *I* didn't think of that the first time I heard it. And now that I've heard it, the people who continuously say it thinking it's still funny get nothing but FACEPALMING.

Seriously, it makes me think of that person at a party who's telling a joke, but no one laughs... so he tells it again. And again. And then tells you WHY the joke should have been funny.

That being said... I have looked over this product, and cannot see a single redeeming quality in it. I know what it *could* be used for... but the things out already cover those things, and do it better.

Me no rikey.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 01 Feb 2010, 06:29

Yes, I know. The joke is played out. But at the same time, you have to wonder if they named it the iPad with the intent of the jokes as a form of publicity, or they just were blissfully ignorant. Though the "iPad: Now in Red." would make history as the first time that Steve Jobs is openly dicking with people, should they make a red case for the iPad.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 01 Feb 2010, 07:20

*shrug* Sorry, I haven't gotten bored with the jokes yet. (but in consideration for other, weaker-willed souls, I'll refrain)

...mind you, I've been laughing at Apple products since 1984 ("Ah. So how do you get floppy disk out when the Mac is turned off...or the power goes out?")
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 01 Feb 2010, 08:33

empath wrote:...mind you, I've been laughing at Apple products since 1984 ("Ah. So how do you get floppy disk out when the Mac is turned off...or the power goes out?")

Paper clip.
empath

Postby empath » 01 Feb 2010, 14:04

Yeah, but it still seems a little 'un-ergonomic' in the design when you have to improvise a tool to do something that the competition allows you to do with 'no assembly required'.

Note that this was a NEW design of disk drive; it's supposed to be an improvement to what was already out on the market - a drive with a mechanical latch that requires user operation to free the disk and permit removal, but one that continues to function regardless of the computer's power state...

I guess Apple figured 'If it ain't broke, try fixing it anyway.'
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 01 Feb 2010, 14:19

I will bet you even money that ipad comes with the protective case they shown, otherwise apple making a native case would just be a dick move. also, it is more portable than a not because of it's size as much as the fact that it's a single surface. To illustrate what I mean, think about using a laptop on a plane, now imagine what it would be like with out having to have it open. These complaints are not the well founded ones, in my opinion. Also, I too have found the resilience that Graham has in an iphone, but I'd say that if I were to get an iPad, it'd be just as at risk as my laptops, i.e. most likely to get destroyed by being crushed on a film shoot (personal insurance people, get it, have it, love it).

That said, i don't think it's god's gift to tech, but hell, you knew it was going to be a tablet, so don't complain about it being a tablet.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 01 Feb 2010, 16:34

My thoughts are exactly what everyone else has been saying. However, I can completely see Graham's point of view here, about it being a coffee table gadget, and it made my cold angry anti-mac heart soften to this thing. However, at 500 dollars for its cheapest version, which doesn't multitask (so I can't play music while I write) and doesn't support flash (so I can't do a lot of other things), it doesn't seem worth the price. Whenever I write I need music, and while I could just use my iPod, why should I have to use two devices when I, hypothetically, only need one.
I do think that future iterations of the iPad, should they support flash and multitasking, would be pretty worthwhile for the kind of gadget it's trying to be, though I'm keeping a watch on the courier since I like how it's laid out much better.

My guess is Apple's going with a "less is more approach". And sometimes it is.

Also, to whomever asked it earlier, I have an iPod Shuffle, and never needed any other type of iPod since it serves my needs perfectly. I expect that the iPad will serve someones needs perfectly too.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 01 Feb 2010, 16:48

You can play music through itunes and do other things. Just like the iPhone. I can listen to music through itunes and do pretty much everything else on the phone.
empath

Postby empath » 01 Feb 2010, 22:11

James, quit skimming while you read:

Jillers wrote:which doesn't multitask (so I can't play music while I write)

Yes, you can listen to iTunes on the iPad, but you can't do anything ELSE. I, too, tend to need music to help the creative juices flow, so this'd either require a second device to play music while I have a word processor open, or I'd have it sitting next to my legal tablet that I'm writing on.

Again, interesting entry to the ebook reader market, but until they can make it multitask...
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 01 Feb 2010, 22:14

If it's running the exact same OS as iPhone, why wouldn't it be able to run the iPod features in the background as the iPhone does?

EDIT: Can we, in perpetuity, cease referring to it as the iPhone OS and start referring to it properly as the iPhone firmware?
epocalypse
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 01 Feb 2010, 22:32

okay, now folks, this is bullshit:

no flash. adobe be pissed.
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 01 Feb 2010, 22:43

Yah. I am confused.
Keith K

Postby Keith K » 01 Feb 2010, 22:57

I'm kind of hoping that Adobe stops publishing Adobe Suite on Mac out of spite. It would save me a lot of headaches as a prepress tech., troubleshooting on two platforms. Apple owes a lot to Adobe for success in all facets of the printing industry.
ExplodingSims

Postby ExplodingSims » 01 Feb 2010, 23:26

I think this sums everything up nicely. Plus the stone can be weaponized!

He who would sacrifice a little liberty for a little security deserves neither.
Currently Failing my way through college.
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 01 Feb 2010, 23:57

Keith K wrote:I'm kind of hoping that Adobe stops publishing Adobe Suite on Mac out of spite. It would save me a lot of headaches as a prepress tech., troubleshooting on two platforms. Apple owes a lot to Adobe for success in all facets of the printing industry.

You can hope that, but god would I be pissed if they did that. Adobe doesn't have to do shit but wait for apple to pull their head out of their ass and feed them money, because my whole adult dependency on apple (and many like me) is based on the ability to use adobe suite and final cut studio on the same machine.

also, found this: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 04222.html

apparently, adobe is not the kind of group to let that stop them. sooner apple realizes that the easier they make it for adobe the better they make it for themselves, the better off everyone will be.\
my personal site
Keith K

Postby Keith K » 02 Feb 2010, 00:01

I wouldn't worry about it. The great majority of Suite sales are on Mac.
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 02 Feb 2010, 00:03

i know, but even the idea makes me antsy. I'd seriously go out for blood... although admittedly it'd be apple's.
my personal site
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 02 Feb 2010, 00:52

Can I say that I don't see why no multi-tasking is an issue?

It's not a problem on the iPhone. If you have to close Safari to do something else, and then open it up again, your webpage is still there. The iPad looks like it launches apps so fast that a "lack" of multi-tasking won't be a problem at all.

Additionally, why is no USB a problem?

You can plug it in (with USB) to a Mac or PC, so all you'd need to plug in is a peripheral. What peripheral could you possibly need to plug into this device that you can't do wirelessly?
Keith K

Postby Keith K » 02 Feb 2010, 00:55

I think the comparison is a little skewed because the iPhone screen is too small to multit-task anyway. That said, I completely agree, except on the subject of the iPod, which I'm sure will be capable of playing in the background.

To me, the biggest issue, as it is with the iPhone is the lack of Flash. It's very annoying to open Twitter links that pique your interest only to invariably realize it's Flash-based.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 02 Feb 2010, 05:59

I've been told by some sources that Jobs is pissed at Adobe for having a lot of bugs in Flash, and therefore refuses to have it supported.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Feb 2010, 06:29

If the iPad is cheaper than an HP Touchsmart over here, I *might* consider getting it over that, but otherwise I don't have much favour for it. Even then, HP Touchsmart is pretty pricey :P
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 02 Feb 2010, 06:47

The only time I've ever been a little sad that my ipod touch doesn't multitask is when I want to listen to Pandora and go on Safari.

It would be different on the iPad because I would use it more like a laptop (I know its not a laptop) and right now, on my laptop I have this window open, a tv show playing in the one next to it and I'm talking to someone on aim. I have this problem where I can't just do one thing at a time
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com

Return to “General Discussion”