iPad

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
James
LRR Crew

iPad

Postby James » 27 Jan 2010, 11:29

Discuss.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Re: iPad

Postby Evil Jim » 27 Jan 2010, 11:32

Don't care. Sick of hearing about it already.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Jan 2010, 11:34

Meh, both tablets and the ability to turn MacBooks into tablet hybrids have being around for years. Even if I ever did have a good experience with Macs, I still wouldn't have any use for it, especially with cheaper alternatives.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
wartjr2373
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wartjr2373 » 27 Jan 2010, 11:34

Pretty neat looking, but I can't imagine ever really needing it. Is there anything that it can do that an iPhone or laptop can't?
Just call me Dylan. It's easier to pronounce.

GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 27 Jan 2010, 11:35

Evil Jim wrote:Don't care. Sick of hearing about it already.

Re'd
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 27 Jan 2010, 11:35

If it was a really good wacom tablet screen thing, I'd have said "good on ya."

Instead I am disappoint.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 27 Jan 2010, 11:43

This thing gets elderly nerds excited. Therfore it is significant.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 27 Jan 2010, 11:47

Like a Tablet PC, but with none of its functionality?

Awesome!
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 27 Jan 2010, 11:47

Wait no I meant the other one.

Horrible!
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 27 Jan 2010, 11:50

hahaha

ipad.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 27 Jan 2010, 11:53

Sounds like something you use on days when flow is heavier.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 27 Jan 2010, 11:54

Uninterested. The price point is too high for what I would use it for. Not enough details out to really make a decision, anyways.
Annchan

Postby Annchan » 27 Jan 2010, 12:04

I had to google just to know what we are talking about and I still don't understand.
Like other people here seem to think I wonder, Is it like a giant Ipod touch, or a large Iphone minus the phone? Is it a macbook with limited functions?

It seems so. I am finding it hard to believe because that is not at all new and exciting. It's like the products they already make but large for an elderly audience that complained about eye strain.

The internet had this to say
http://ufies.org/archives/2010/01/27/apple-announces-the-ipad.html wrote:Apple has produced (finally) the Apple iPad. Short story, a big iPhone with no camera, a wifi + optional 3G, a book store and a new suite of office suite apps, compatible with current iPhone apps.

In a way I'm a bit disappointed that all the "it can't just be a big iPhone" talk wasn't true, and that the system looks and acts like a bit iPhone instead of a small computer with an iPhone-like UI. IE: no video conferencing, no multi-tasking, and most of the other limitations of the iPhone OS.

That said, they basically killed a big chunk of the Amazon kindle market with the "iBooks". If I can transfer my PDF eBooks to it and view in full color, with zooming and panning and page flipping? Awesome. The non-active screen on the kindle will keep some of the more "high end" readers who appreciate the lack of eyestrain, but I'd be willing to bet that most of the good parts of the kindle (with the Apple Book store and it's power) plus all the awesomeness of the iPhone and it's apps will make a compelling argument.

Other stats:

Low end price (16G storage, wifi only) $499 (great low price)
High end (64G + 3G) $829 (expected it to be that high to begin with)
Available in 60 days (both US and internationally)
International 3G by June
3G service from AT&T in the US, in two tiers (250mb and unlimited)
The product page has more, plus a video. Personally I'm vaguely excited, it looks beautiful and comes with a great Reality Distortion Field, and some of the potential (my own collected eBooks, videos, etc) I can completely see. But replacing my laptop and all it can do with this isn't going to save much weight or space in the backpack I take to work all day. I still want one though :)

KISS KISS

I personally will not be getting one of these.
Annchan

Postby Annchan » 27 Jan 2010, 12:06

metcarfre wrote:Uninterested. The price point is too high for what I would use it for. Not enough details out to really make a decision, anyways.

I think all the details are out, it's just hard to believe that it's an ipod touch for people that need glasses.
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 27 Jan 2010, 12:07

no joke though, that looks like it'd be a great frisbee
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 27 Jan 2010, 12:08

I was going to use it as a bobsled for babies...
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 27 Jan 2010, 12:18

Can't say I'm particularly impressed. It's pretty, and probably fun to use, but doesn't fill a niche that I have any interest in or need for.

I'm interested how typing on it will be, too. If you're going to rest it in your lap, it seems kind of small for that. If you're going to rest it on a table, then I'm concerned it might slide around a bit, or will be too flat (keyboards are tilted slightly for a reason).

Really, the way most people will use it is holding it in one hand and manipulating the screen with the other, and it may be just a touch big for that.

Just speculation, though.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 27 Jan 2010, 12:19

Annchan wrote:
metcarfre wrote:Uninterested. The price point is too high for what I would use it for. Not enough details out to really make a decision, anyways.

I think all the details are out, it's just hard to believe that it's an ipod touch for people that need glasses.

What are the exact specs? What's this 'soft-touch keyboard' Steve is talking about? Can you use Bluetooth peripherals (keyboard, mouse)? Are there any USB etc. ports? Can you draw on it - the appeal of many tablets (to artists)?
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 27 Jan 2010, 12:22

metcarfre wrote:
Annchan wrote:

What are the exact specs? What's this 'soft-touch keyboard' Steve is talking about? Can you use Bluetooth peripherals (keyboard, mouse)? Are there any USB etc. ports? Can you draw on it - the appeal of many tablets (to artists)?

There's an optional keyboard dock. No idea about a Bluetooth mouse, though it would make sense.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 27 Jan 2010, 12:26

I've never even laid eyes on a Mac, much less used one, I'm a Windowan by that reason alone.

That said, I have a very geeky reason to like this move.

See, in science fiction these days, most characters have a basically flat computer that is essentially a touch-screen monitor that they use like a regular computer to do a whole bunch of things. Stargate, Star Trek, Mass Effect, they've all got something like this.

Now, with that in mind, what is the iSlate? :D
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Annchan

Postby Annchan » 27 Jan 2010, 12:27

Why would a bluetooth mouse make sense when you can just touch what you want. No mouse needed.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 27 Jan 2010, 12:28

In case you want the option of using as an actual computer?
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 27 Jan 2010, 12:31

The only way I would buy this is if it had a stylus or some other way to actually write on it. Other then that, I would have no use for it.

Does anyone know if it will be able to play videos on websites like Hulu? because if you can watch this so called great video, but the only places you can get it is youtube or itunes, it would be dumb too.
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
eth0
First Video: Schrodinger's Fridge

Postby eth0 » 27 Jan 2010, 12:33

Form factor and all looks good.
But 1gh for cpu is a bit... meh. Didn't find info on ram yet.

Really disappointed, I was hoping somewhere around netbook spec and capability to run a full OSX.

I don't think i'll buy it. My macbook pro fills my desktop needs, my iphone my mobile needs. My netbook (hackintosh) my portable on campus usage needs.
~ eth0
ExplodingSims

Postby ExplodingSims » 27 Jan 2010, 12:38

It's an Apple product, and therefore is evil.
Can't say I'd ever use it.
He who would sacrifice a little liberty for a little security deserves neither.
Currently Failing my way through college.

Return to “General Discussion”