J.D Salinger is dead, yo

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
NachoManLance
First Video: The Stages

J.D Salinger is dead, yo

Postby NachoManLance » 28 Jan 2010, 11:09

http://tinyurl.com/yjgfhk9

As a fan of literature in general, and in particular The Catcher In The Rye", I was saddened to hear the news even though its been coming for awhile. I'm very glad though that I was able to read his stuff and appreciate it for what it was... even if it was against my own will. (High School sucked that way)

Did "The Cacher In The Rye" mean anything special to you, if you've read? Discuss and such if you'd like.

Is anyone else just a little unnerved that the only threads I seem to start are about somebody dying? Good lord, I need a hobby.
http://twitter.com/NachoManLance

<Witty quote that induces a chuckle>
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Re: J.D Salinger is dead, yo

Postby sdhonda » 28 Jan 2010, 11:11

sdhonda on another forum wrote:I await with dread all the people who will suddenly pick Catcher and Nine Stories for no other reason than that the author of them had died. It reaks of.......... well guess.

It probably won't be as bad as, say, Micheal Jacksons death, given that Mr. Salinger was not as generally popular, and the nature of their mediums and, ah, fandoms, but still...
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 28 Jan 2010, 11:15

NachoManLance wrote:Is anyone else just a little unnerved that the only threads I seem to start are about somebody dying? Good lord, I need a hobby.

Meh, I start most of my replies by making a pass at someone, gorgeous.

---

I've never actually read Catcher in the Rye. All I've learned about it is that if you buy it, the government follows you in silent helicopters.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 28 Jan 2010, 11:31

When a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 28 Jan 2010, 11:34

Or should I?
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 28 Jan 2010, 11:35

...I read the first three pages of Catcher in the Rye and simply gave up.

I even managed to get through three chapters of Twilight before giving up on it as utter crap (before all the Twilight hate. I only had heard good things at this point).

Catcher in the Rye is worse than _Twilight._
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 28 Jan 2010, 11:38

sdhonda wrote:
sdhonda on another forum wrote:I await with dread all the people who will suddenly pick Catcher and Nine Stories for no other reason than that the author of them had died. It reaks of.......... well guess.

It probably won't be as bad as, say, Micheal Jacksons death, given that Mr. Salinger was not as generally popular, and the nature of their mediums and, ah, fandoms, but still...

Unfortunately, this logic was used on me for defending the Twilight series, but it still holds true:

"If it gets one more person interested in reading and literature, then it's still valid."

I did not have to read Catcher in the Rye in school, but I read a lot of other "classics", including Cyrano, 1984, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Cat's Cradle, The Crucible, The Jungle, etc...
Last edited by tak197 on 28 Jan 2010, 12:09, edited 1 time in total.
infinite_guest

Postby infinite_guest » 28 Jan 2010, 11:41

I personally never liked Catcher in the Rye. It reminded me of too many people I knew at the time I read it who I hated. Including myself, incidentally.
Longwood: Location of Harvard Medical School where evil mad scientists and Jews create transgenic monsters.
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 28 Jan 2010, 11:44

I pretty much hated Catcher in the Rye. Seriously, shut up about the fish!
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
infinite_guest

Postby infinite_guest » 28 Jan 2010, 11:50

theDreamer wrote:...I read the first three pages of Catcher in the Rye and simply gave up.

I even managed to get through three chapters of Twilight before giving up on it as utter crap (before all the Twilight hate. I only had heard good things at this point).

Catcher in the Rye is worse than _Twilight._

Of course, when you apply this logic, for me, 1984 and Pride and Prejudice are worse than Twilight for me, since I got all the way through Twilight (as much as I hated myself for doing so) and got through about thirty pages of both those classics before giving up. To which I would say no, they've both got a infinitely more literary merit. I just thought they were boring.

Not to say that Twilight wasn't boring, but I could just turn my brain off when I read it.
Longwood: Location of Harvard Medical School where evil mad scientists and Jews create transgenic monsters.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 28 Jan 2010, 11:58

I attempted Wuthering Heights and Count of Monte Cristo in 9th grade. I refuse to pick up Twilight.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 28 Jan 2010, 12:01

The Outsiders and To Kill A Mocking Bird were my favorite school read books. *sighhhhhh*

In English, we were able to chose which book we read and did 25 reports on. I chose Charles Dickens: Great Expectations. I think Catcher in the Rye was one of the choices. I love Charles Dickens stories, I HATE his style of writing.

Did anyone have to read a STUPID FUCKING BOOK about some dude named Dudley? (and no, I'm not talking about the dragon) This book made me FURIOUS.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
sdhonda

Postby sdhonda » 28 Jan 2010, 12:03

tak197 wrote:
sdhonda wrote:

Unfortunately, this logic was used on me for defending the Twilight series, but it still holds true.

Huh? No, that is not what I meant.

Certainly, more people ought to be reading the works of Salinger et al. But suddenly picking up these works just because the person who wrote it died, or it's the anniversary of it's publication, or some shit like that, is just shallow. It's like x-mas: the one time of year one should be nice and cheerful.

Like one should not be like that any other time!
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 28 Jan 2010, 12:08

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought Catcher in the Rye was rubbish. A horribly paced, dull & rambling narrative with no character development or real point. It was edgy when published & people just didn't seem to notice that later on, far more shocking things were being printed. I've no ill will toward Salinger tho'. He seemed to have lived a good life. I wish I could write one book & live off it for the rest of my life.

Personally, I prefer his Terminator stuff discovered last summer.

Unrelated, Mark David Chapman is up for parole again in August of this year. Let's hope he gets a release. He's served his time.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 28 Jan 2010, 12:13

TheRocketSiobhan wrote:The Outsiders and To Kill A Mockingbird were my favorite school read books. *sighhhhhh*

OOooooh, good ones. Especially since AFI named Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird the number one HERO of any movie in the last 100+ years. Atticus really does strike you as a great honorable man.

The Outsiders is a classic from the 50s era too.
sdhonda

Postby sdhonda » 28 Jan 2010, 12:13

Evil Jim wrote:I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who thought Catcher in the Rye was rubbish. A horribly paced, dull & rambling narrative with no character development or real point. It was edgy when published & people just didn't seem to notice that later on, far more shocking things were being printed. I've no ill will toward Salinger tho'. He seemed to have lived a good life. I wish I could write one book & live off it for the rest of my life.

Personally, I prefer his Terminator stuff discovered last summer.

Unrelated, Mark David Chapman is up for parole again in August of this year. Let's hope he gets a release. He's served his time.

I would have honestly beleived that if they did Pynchon instead of Salinger.
It's My Delorean
First Video: commodore hustle 06
Location: The Omniverse International™ campus, The Moon Nation of Omnibus, Universe 64

Postby It's My Delorean » 28 Jan 2010, 12:55

I'm a great fan of 1984, which I read in grade twelve English. And which I have to read again for, well, grade twelve English. Curse you, University application minimum of 60% Curse you for not making an exception for 3 friggin' marks! Honestly, redoing a whole course, because you had 57%... utter madness. Ah, well, at least I get to keep some of the books this time.
Co-Owner of Omniverse International

DmitriW wrote:
It's My Delorean wrote:..However, provided you agree with my plan for Titan as detailed above...

I'm so down with that plan.

I don't actually own a Delorean...
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 28 Jan 2010, 13:20

I never read "The Catcher in the Rye".

As for books I was forced to read in school, "To Kill a Mockingbird" was the only good one.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 28 Jan 2010, 13:32

I was "forced" to read Picture of Dorian Gray.

I had already read it, and so it's like "SCORE! I love this novel!"
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Hakaryu

Postby Hakaryu » 28 Jan 2010, 13:44

Catcher in the Rye is one of my favorite books.

As for books we were forced to read in school,Candide by Voltaire was boring as hell and I thought the main character was very one dimensional.
Tonberry's poked the dutch again.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 28 Jan 2010, 14:02

I enjoyed "To Kill a Mockingbird" & "Fahrenheit 451" despite the fact that they were required reading in school. Most other such assignments were unmemorable. I read a hell of a lot of Stephen King on my own in high school. Some of his books were thicker than my textbooks.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Jack
First Video: The Joystique or Unskippable

Postby Jack » 28 Jan 2010, 17:00

Gordon Fearman wrote:I pretty much hated Catcher in the Rye. Seriously, shut up about the fish!

I'm pretty sure he talks about ducks, but I could be wrong. The ducks are used as a metaphor, I believe.

I liked Catcher in the Rye. I thought it was good. It's sad to hear that J.D. Salinger died.
What are you looking at.
Huxley
First Video: Can't quite remember

Postby Huxley » 28 Jan 2010, 17:05

Jack wrote:
Gordon Fearman wrote:I pretty much hated Catcher in the Rye. Seriously, shut up about the fish!

I'm pretty sure he talks about ducks, but I could be wrong. The ducks are used as a metaphor, I believe.

I liked Catcher in the Rye. I thought it was good. It's sad to hear that J.D. Salinger died.

The ducks are supposed represent fish, Jack, you just need to read into the subtext! It's a metaphor, JEEZ.
Last edited by Huxley on 28 Jan 2010, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
"OW! Who the crap just shot me in the back of the head?" - Abraham Lincoln.
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 28 Jan 2010, 17:05

I like Catcher in the Rye in high school, doubt I'd like it now though. Still, I owe the man thanks for my username.

Wasn't there a guy who was making a sequel to Catcher in the Rye and Salinger sued him or something?

This is the first I've heard of him having a safe, I can't wait to find out if it exists or if there's some unpublished books in it!
Last edited by Bananafish on 28 Jan 2010, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
Jack
First Video: The Joystique or Unskippable

Postby Jack » 28 Jan 2010, 17:11

Huxley wrote:
Jack wrote:

The ducks are supposed represent fish, Jack, you just need to read into the subtext! It's a metaphor, JEEZ.

How could I be so ignorant!?
What are you looking at.

Return to “General Discussion”