Oh that Australian

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Oh that Australian

Postby sdhonda » 16 Feb 2010, 15:41

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gamer ... 5830886493

Excuse me while I remove my palm from my face.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: Oh that Australian

Postby tak197 » 16 Feb 2010, 16:22

Hey, that means in a sense, Evil Jim is a WMD!

AUSSIE ASSHAT, FEAR US!!!!
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 16 Feb 2010, 20:51

"Cruel sex and extreme violence"?

What games are these politicians seeing? Really, I want to know.

I think of all the games I've played, The Sims games have the most sex. Followed by Indigo Prophecy.

And I wouldn't call either of those cruel. Well, maybe IP since it cruelly goes from having a great premise to being the parts left out of the Matrix.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 16 Feb 2010, 20:55

GTA, Ar, GTA.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Arius

Postby Arius » 16 Feb 2010, 20:58

But GTA doesn't have sex in it... Other than some moaning and a shot of a window.

And the violence is pretty tame. I mean, they have the Hostel movies over there. Those are extreme violence and cruel sex.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
VanHelsing23

Postby VanHelsing23 » 16 Feb 2010, 21:00

Outlaw motorcycle gangs can run candidates in Australia? Neat.
War is hell.
Hell is other people.
Therefore, War is other people.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 16 Feb 2010, 21:24

It may be different in Australia but you wouldn't want to refer to some of the bikers I know as a "bikie."
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Arius

Postby Arius » 16 Feb 2010, 21:38

"Aww, look at you with your bikie pals. Aren't you precious? With your little bandanas and - okay, can't breathe. No no, this is not nice. Come on, put me down."
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 16 Feb 2010, 23:01

I think I just palmed my face so hard that I broke my nose. How does Yahtzee get by down under?
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 17 Feb 2010, 07:10

TBH the 18 ratings make no difference thanks to stupid parents.

I remember when GTA: San Andreas came out I was in a game shop and listened in whilst the sales clerk listed out all the reasons it was an 18 game to a woman who smiled and nodded at each one, paid her money and then handed the game straight to her 8-10 year old son.

This guy sounds a bit like an Australian Jack Thompson though.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
AtomicPigeon
First Video: Desert Bus 2009

Postby AtomicPigeon » 17 Feb 2010, 08:24

Last time i worked in a games store I actually ended up pleading with some woman not to buy an eighteen rated fps for her five year old son- her rationale being 'he only likes the parts where he's shooting people'

I lost count of the number of parents who blatantly buy GTA for their ten year olds no matter what you tell them about the games content or rating
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 17 Feb 2010, 08:53

But I don't think an 18+ rating would HURT. I mean you do have parents like mine would seriously didn't let me see a pg 13 movie UNTIL I turned 13. No lies. Some parents do care and I know some parents will just buy something because the box art looks nice, they don't know what the kids will enjoy and they might actually care what they are buying their kids.
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 17 Feb 2010, 12:43

I agree Korri, an 18+ rating is still a good idea because it clearly signposts the fact that these games should only be played by people who are old enough to understand the difference between fact and fiction.

But sadly it's the stupid parents who then turn around and complain because their child became a criminal. So ultimately nobody notices the difference because the vocal ones are the ones flouting the rating anyway.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 17 Feb 2010, 12:47

with regard to the "cruel sex" comment, the game Atkinson likes to bandy about as representative of an "18+ title" is a Japan-only erotica game called RapeLay wherein the main character is a serial rapist who forces himself on young women.

Yeah. This is "represntative of" to this man.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 17 Feb 2010, 12:49

See now games like that you don't bother rating, you just ban them. I think most people would agree with that.

But he's a little twisted if he thinks that most games contain that sort of content, or that there's a large market for that game.

-Edit-

Because I can already sense that my statement there will cause debate I shall clarify.

IMHO the guide should be what's acceptable on television is acceptable in gaming. So on TV you have shows where the hero ends up shooting people, you have gory shows or films and they come with age ratings.

If you released a film that centred around a man raping people and that was where the entertainment was derived then nobody would ever let it be shown.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 17 Feb 2010, 13:31

Keab42 wrote:If you released a film that centred around a man raping people and that was where the entertainment was derived then nobody would ever let it be shown.

(Not a movie, but...)
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Arius

Postby Arius » 17 Feb 2010, 14:15

Matt wrote:RapeLay

Wait, I know about that game, but that can't seriously be the game he's talking about.

Japan even outlawed it after people in America complained about it having a fan translation. And it seems like every couple months, a new country is finding out about it and getting in an uproar. I think Italy is the most recent.

Gotta love an alarmist media.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 17 Feb 2010, 16:30

Arius wrote:
Matt wrote:RapeLay

Wait, I know about that game, but that can't seriously be the game he's talking about.

Japan even outlawed it after people in America complained about it having a fan translation. And it seems like every couple months, a new country is finding out about it and getting in an uproar. I think Italy is the most recent.

Gotta love an alarmist media.

That is very much truthfully, the game he uses to demonstrate the kind of content that an 18+ rating would 'typically' allow into Aus.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Arius

Postby Arius » 17 Feb 2010, 16:59

Don't people usually rise up and overthrow their governments at this point?

Considering all the other stuff that is happening, the internet filtering, the bandwidth limiting, the "just give us your home address if you're going to talk about a political party on the internet" law, and this...

Seriously, wasn't Australia originally a penal colony? Where's the rioting?
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 17 Feb 2010, 17:06

Arius wrote:Seriously, wasn't Australia originally a penal colony? Where's the rioting?

Yeah but to be fair so was America at various points of history.

We only have a tiny little island so why bother keeping convicts here, mussing up the joint.
Nothing to see here.
Arius

Postby Arius » 17 Feb 2010, 17:07

Yeah, but in America we actually have laws preventing our government from censoring art and politics.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 17 Feb 2010, 20:41

Last edited by masamune on 02 Dec 2014, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.
iwashere33
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby iwashere33 » 18 Feb 2010, 14:31

i figure he would be more worried about how 10 year olds are still being given MA15+ games from the parents.

perhaps he should come with a restrictive law of parents or maybe game stores. similiar to alcohol, if the clerk believes the product is going to be given to someone underage they don't sell to the person in front of them.

perhaps after that we can get started on 18+ allowances.
Ian McKellen, now!
Dempsas
First Video: ss

Postby Dempsas » 18 Feb 2010, 15:54

Our poor across the ditch neighbours, We have the R18 game rating over here. I believe that NZ and OZ were linked together in Steam but due to the whole L4D2 debate over there we were now separate on the system because we could legally have the R18 version of the game. And yea the laws should be more strict, 10 year olds do not! need to be exposed to the content in allot of 15+ games.
Niko88

Postby Niko88 » 18 Feb 2010, 16:41

Evil Jim wrote:It may be different in Australia but you wouldn't want to refer to some of the bikers I know as a "bikie."

Yeah, I am pretty sure doing that would get your ass beat over here
Why do I love the blinking street lights so much?

Return to “General Discussion”