oscars... @$^*#!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Re: oscars... @$^*#!

Postby korri » 08 Mar 2010, 09:16

metcarfre wrote:Is The Blind Side really that good? I have not seen anything that makes me want to see it.

I have the exact same feeling. To me it just looked like one of those inspirational movies that I just have no reason to see...

Did anyone else enjoy the dance performance to the different soundtracks? I thought it was pretty cool, because it was nice hearing the soundtracks with just some dancing with them.
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
wilson_x1999
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wilson_x1999 » 08 Mar 2010, 13:28

Am I a bad person beucase I couldn't care less for Precious?

I know it's a sad story and she went thru some horrible things, but I don't want to go into depression on my free time, yet, pretty much everyone I know look at me as if I were a horrible person because I want to have fun when I got to the movies ¬_¬

Also, I'm happy that Avatar didn't win best movie or director, because IT'S NOT A GOOD FILM, it's just an entertaining tech demo and that's it.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 08 Mar 2010, 13:37

wilson_x1999 wrote:Am I a bad person beucase I couldn't care less for Precious?

I know it's a sad story and she went thru some horrible things, but I don't want to go into depression on my free time, yet, pretty much everyone I know look at me as if I were a horrible person because I want to have fun when I got to the movies ¬_¬

The opinion here in the city, most of which I gather from all my friends and professors @ NYU was that the film was pretty much over the top oscar bait. I haven't seen it yet, but I kind of agree that it seems like it's just over the top, especially if you're just looking for escapism.

wilson_x1999 wrote:Also, I'm happy that Avatar didn't win best movie or director, because IT'S NOT A GOOD FILM, it's just an entertaining tech demo and that's it.

ding.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Ollie, don'tcha know!
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Ollie, don'tcha know! » 08 Mar 2010, 14:06

wilson_x1999 wrote:Also, I'm happy that Avatar didn't win best movie or director, because IT'S NOT A GOOD FILM, it's just an entertaining tech demo and that's it.

Exactly. I dispare at my family and friends who think that it was good in any department other than visual effects and production design, which is sadly the majority. My friends today think they proved that it had a good plot because there were four idiots saying that it was a good plot and one person who has seen more than the odd summer blockbuster (damn, I sound like an arrogant twat, but oh well) who said it didn't, therefore 'the majority of the public thought the plot was good'. They then walked off leaving me in stunned silence.

Anyway, if there's one thing that I am furious about is the lack of Where the Wild Things Are mentions. Not even one nomination! Should have won best original score at least!
I think this place is full of spies. I think they're onto me.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 08 Mar 2010, 14:53

Ollie, don'tcha know! wrote:

Exactly. I dispare at my family and friends who think that it was good in any department other than visual effects and production design, which is sadly the majority. My friends today think they proved that it had a good plot because there were four idiots saying that it was a good plot and one person who has seen more than the odd summer blockbuster (damn, I sound like an arrogant twat, but oh well) who said it didn't, therefore 'the majority of the public thought the plot was good'. They then walked off leaving me in stunned silence.

Anyway, if there's one thing that I am furious about is the lack of Where the Wild Things Are mentions. Not even one nomination! Should have won best original score at least!

agreed on both accounts, although given that literally all of my friends are some degree of art or film enthusiast/snobs, myself included, none of us were singing avatar's praises outside of effects.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 08 Mar 2010, 22:42

At the same time, in the case of Mo'nique, it was a performance worthy of an Oscar, because as a stand-up comedienne, Mary Jones is a very dark role and a total 180 from the other roles she usually played. In fact, she has said in interviews that the only way she knew how to play the role was because she herself was abused by her older brother when she was a child.

The Blind Side is an inspirational movie, yes, but the reason it was strong in that sense is because it's a true story, based on Michael Oher of the Baltimore Ravens. Plus, this was, again, a nod to a comedic actress for playing a serious dramatic role. So in a sense, it's kinda like what Graham said in the video on VISFF'10, in that it seems like award shows don't really view comedy in the same way as dramas.

I talked to my mom this afternoon about the horror tribute. She said she agreed with me on the presenters. She told me who they SHOULD have had present it were Linda Blair and Rodger Corman. But once Were-douche and dumb-slut stopped talking, the tribute was really cool. I hate being scared in the movies, but horror movies as a genre are so good.

(I watched the end of Carrie [from the pig's blood to the end], most of The Ring, parts of Poltergeist, and that's about it.)

I think we may need to have a discussion thread about horror movies.

Return to “General Discussion”