Script Frenzy

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Script Frenzy

Postby tak197 » 11 Mar 2010, 00:46

I know some of you did NaNoWriMo in November. But I just found out that they are doing a thing in April called Script Frenzy. Basically, you write 100 pages of script in 30 days in April. Even better, you can PARTNER UP to do it to write scripts for movies, stage, video, comic books, graphic novels, etc. So I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it, if they want to do it this year, and if we want to get a few scripts going from these forums?

http://www.scriptfrenzy.org
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Re: Script Frenzy

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 11 Mar 2010, 02:11

Ooooohhhhh...
So...
tempted...

But no, so much coursework, must focus on uni... but... but... *whimpers*
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 11 Mar 2010, 02:35

I'm signed up an fully INTEND to do it. I make no promises on following through with that intention.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 11 Mar 2010, 09:10

i refuse to do this for the same reason as i refuse to to NaNoWriMo every year.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Angnor
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Angnor » 11 Mar 2010, 09:13

iamafish wrote:i refuse to do this for the same reason as i refuse to to NaNoWriMo every year.

Ah. Like me you have no writing talent...
;)
J. B. S. Haldane wrote:I have come to the conclusion that my subjective account of my motivation is largely mythical on almost all occasions. I don't know why I do things.
iamafish

Postby iamafish » 11 Mar 2010, 09:31

nono, i like to think i have some talent, i just don't think spewing out a whole story in just one month is the best way to develop or exploit that talent. Also i am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my writing, so i would not be satisfied with whatever i wrote, not without spending the next 3 months editing it down to something actually decent.

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 11 Mar 2010, 09:50

I really like the concept I came up with for NaNoWriMo last year... haven't done anything with it, but I liked the concept! Of course, I basically haven't done any creative writing since high school.

To the writers; how do you write? Do you make an outline of what needs to happen, plot- and character-wise, and then write around it? Or do you just jot down as it comes and make the story fit your writing?
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 11 Mar 2010, 10:00

Man, I should really do this... I had a great idea for a television show. Then again, I've been meaning to write more of the novel I tried to start in November... augh.
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 11 Mar 2010, 12:16

I would like to do this but alas no inspiration.

Then again there is that thing I've always been meaning to write but have never had the motivation to do so...

Then again again due to my current 7 day working week and dissertation to work on, I think its more important that I put my writing time in there. Oh, and in internet forums naturally.
Nothing to see here.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 11 Mar 2010, 14:12

iamafish wrote:nono, i like to think i have some talent, i just don't think spewing out a whole story in just one month is the best way to develop or exploit that talent. Also i am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my writing, so i would not be satisfied with whatever i wrote, not without spending the next 3 months editing it down to something actually decent.

From what I understand, that's actually the INTENT of NaNo. You write and write and write until you finish in November, THEN you edit it into the novel.

Ditto, what's your TV show about?
iamafish

Postby iamafish » 11 Mar 2010, 14:39

tak197 wrote:
iamafish wrote:nono, i like to think i have some talent, i just don't think spewing out a whole story in just one month is the best way to develop or exploit that talent. Also i am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my writing, so i would not be satisfied with whatever i wrote, not without spending the next 3 months editing it down to something actually decent.

From what I understand, that's actually the INTENT of NaNo. You write and write and write until you finish in November, THEN you edit it into the novel.

i'm just not comfortable with that style of writing. simply trying to write lots and lots without really focusing in on the finer point seems like a bad way of going about things

My Twitter

tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 11 Mar 2010, 16:59

True, but at the same time, as I heard one person say, in order to be a great writer, you have to remind yourself that it's totally fine to suck. I'm not trying to change your mind, but rather pass along what I heard that helps me with it.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 11 Mar 2010, 17:08

iamafish wrote:
tak197 wrote:

i'm just not comfortable with that style of writing. simply trying to write lots and lots without really focusing in on the finer point seems like a bad way of going about things

It's not a bad way of going about things, just a different way. Instead of worrying about minor details, worry about the big picture and just get it done.

I mean this in a friendly way when I ask: How many of your own writing projects have you finished? I know, with myself, that I do get super anal about my stories and novels and etc... and that sidetracks me so much that it doesn't get done.

Of course, if your method works for you, then that's good too, but this method isn't wrong either.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 11 Mar 2010, 19:42

Just registered, and I have every intention on filling this out. However, IF I actually manage to keep up AND motivated is the true challenge.
Credit to Foxmar
watshisname08

Postby watshisname08 » 11 Mar 2010, 21:33

I think I'll give my hand a try with Script Frenzy. Anyway this and NaNoWaMo, the main point is to put the ideas on the page. It doesn't matter if it sounds good, you just need to put the ideas on the page...the first step for writing ANYTHING.

Anyway let's swap some ideas around with what you guys will write (there is nothing wrong with swapping ideas and trying to suggest others).
A new start-up blog about life & gaming: http://midcorelife.tumblr.com/
And I succumbed to having a twitter: http://twitter.com/watshisname08
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 12 Mar 2010, 01:44

Well part of the point of this thread was that with Script Frenzy, you are allowed to partner up and co-write a 100 page script if you both want to work on it together. I think there is a good chance that I will be doing it this year, likely doing a cHustle storyline in a sense, if the crew doesn't mind.
iamafish

Postby iamafish » 14 Mar 2010, 07:41

Jillers wrote:
iamafish wrote:
tak197 wrote:From what I understand, that's actually the INTENT of NaNo. You write and write and write until you finish in November, THEN you edit it into the novel.

It's not a bad way of going about things, just a different way. Instead of worrying about minor details, worry about the big picture and just get it done.

I mean this in a friendly way when I ask: How many of your own writing projects have you finished? I know, with myself, that I do get super anal about my stories and novels and etc... and that sidetracks me so much that it doesn't get done.

Of course, if your method works for you, then that's good too, but this method isn't wrong either.

In terms of your question: i used to never finish projects, then i realised that my problem was not getting tied down in details, it was that i wasn't a good enough writer and didn't have enough time or motivation to do a good project. So i stopped trying to write great big long stories and started writing short stories that i could actually finish and be happy with. So in answer to your question; of late, all of them, because i set myself reasonable aims.

NaNoWriMo is not setting yourself a reasonable aim, so you are bound to either fail or write something unsatisfactory unless you are a very good writer who has already written several good novels, in which case you have no need to try to write a novel in a month.

My Twitter

watshisname08

Postby watshisname08 » 29 Mar 2010, 18:51

Alright who is doing this Script Frenzy? Let's have a LRR support team here so we can do this thing.
A new start-up blog about life & gaming: http://midcorelife.tumblr.com/
And I succumbed to having a twitter: http://twitter.com/watshisname08
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 30 Mar 2010, 12:30

I'm definitely on the Script Frenzy thing.
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 30 Mar 2010, 13:24

Seems like an idea I'd might as well do, but through April I'm also touring with a show around the province and getting ready for my school audition, so I don't know if it's realistic. I may give it a shot regardless.
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 30 Mar 2010, 15:24

metcarfre wrote:I really like the concept I came up with for NaNoWriMo last year... haven't done anything with it, but I liked the concept! Of course, I basically haven't done any creative writing since high school.

To the writers; how do you write? Do you make an outline of what needs to happen, plot- and character-wise, and then write around it? Or do you just jot down as it comes and make the story fit your writing?

I prefer to just write everything as it comes to mind and tweak it later, but I think it just comes down to whatever you're personally comfortable with. If you like the outline then do an outline.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 30 Mar 2010, 20:30

I already failed NaNoWriMo, and I don't write scripts on principle, so I won't partake.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre

Return to “General Discussion”