so about avatar

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Re: so about avatar

Postby iamafish » 21 Mar 2010, 11:53

epocalypse wrote:
metcarfre wrote:
Science Fiction
Fantasy

i would argue that neither of these genres are dependant on voice-over, well written dialogue and an element of mystery can tell the viewer all he or she needs to know without ever resorting to voice over.

Usually the problem of having a universe you need explaining to an audience is to have a lead character be unfamiliar with the world, so he needs it explained to him. Or to have a prologue of some kind, although this is only worthwhile if the exposition only sets the scene, rather than providing information directly relevant to the plot, this it better revealed more organically.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 21 Mar 2010, 12:05

it is a fairly fantastic little movie.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 21 Mar 2010, 12:30

iamafish wrote:
epocalypse wrote:
metcarfre wrote:
Science Fiction
Fantasy

i would argue that neither of these genres are dependant on voice-over, well written dialogue and an element of mystery can tell the viewer all he or she needs to know without ever resorting to voice over.

Usually the problem of having a universe you need explaining to an audience is to have a lead character be unfamiliar with the world, so he needs it explained to him. Or to have a prologue of some kind, although this is only worthwhile if the exposition only sets the scene, rather than providing information directly relevant to the plot, this it better revealed more organically.

You're right, a more accurate statement is that they are dependent on exposition, and voice over is often associated with both that and literary or mythic tones (which it can often create through virtue of being very prosaic).

zfubarz wrote:it is a fairly fantastic little movie.

I would say fantastically fair. But to each their own.
Last edited by epocalypse on 22 Mar 2010, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 22 Mar 2010, 09:28

well most films need exposition of some kind, although i agree fantasy and scifi need more by way of exposition.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
SprintToTheFinish
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby SprintToTheFinish » 22 Mar 2010, 10:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9bsHAXwaEE

Just thought I would point out that Avatar's plot line is approximately the EXACT SAME as that of every other scifi movie since the 80's. The visual effects were one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen, but I just about lost it when they said "Unobtainium" for the first time. I mean really, that's the best name you can come up with? And it seems like they're obtaining a metric fuck-ton of it every few minutes.
Also, what the hell are they doing with it that makes it so expensive? Or is every one just addicted to it? The Unobtainium must flow.
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 22 Mar 2010, 11:16

Yeah, I kinda cringed when they revealed that they were after "unobtainium".
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 22 Mar 2010, 11:19

MacGuffinum
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 22 Mar 2010, 11:19

oh my god, are we seriously still going on about unobtanium?

Unfortunate a choice as the name may have been, (and really only so if you already knew that it was an engineering term), it's such a minor complaint about the movie as a whole that it hardly bears continuing to dredge up.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 22 Mar 2010, 11:35

I don't think it's a gripe, so much as a very good example.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 22 Mar 2010, 11:42

If we actually discovered a naturally-existing material with near-magical properties (I haven't actually seen the movie, so I don't know what the alleged properties are), do you really think our scientists and engineers wouldn't call it unobtanium informally, at least until it became common-place?
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 22 Mar 2010, 11:46

Master Gunner wrote:If we actually discovered a naturally-existing material with near-magical properties (I haven't actually seen the movie, so I don't know what the alleged properties are), do you really think our scientists and engineers wouldn't call it unobtanium informally, at least until it became common-place?

If we actually discovered a naturally-existing material with near-magical properties, that doesn't exist on earth, and has to be mined from a planet that's a 5 year space flight away...

fixed.

And yes, they would. Because they already do call things (specifically, as a short hand for some material that does everything they want but which they can't get becasue it doesn't exist) Unobtainum as an informal shorthand.

It's one of the reasons I facepalm so hard at people bringing it up - the name is actually perfectly reasonable in context.

-m

I am not angry at you.
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 22 Mar 2010, 12:31

I was unaware that we used that as a term.
My bad.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 22 Mar 2010, 13:48

Matt wrote:
Master Gunner wrote:If we actually discovered a naturally-existing material with near-magical properties (I haven't actually seen the movie, so I don't know what the alleged properties are), do you really think our scientists and engineers wouldn't call it unobtanium informally, at least until it became common-place?

If we actually discovered a naturally-existing material with near-magical properties, that doesn't exist on earth, and has to be mined from a planet that's a 5 year space flight away...

fixed.

And yes, they would. Because they already do call things (specifically, as a short hand for some material that does everything they want but which they can't get becasue it doesn't exist) Unobtainum as an informal shorthand.

It's one of the reasons I facepalm so hard at people bringing it up - the name is actually perfectly reasonable in context.

-m

Now, you see, and I didn't bring it up, but that is exactly why I didn't like the name, because of its previously existing use. Still, opinions and to each their own, etc.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 23 Mar 2010, 04:19

Matt wrote:And yes, they would. Because they already do call things (specifically, as a short hand for some material that does everything they want but which they can't get becasue it doesn't exist) Unobtainum as an informal shorthand.

-m

Reasonable? A term used to refer to a hypothetical substance that by definition DOES NOT EXIST, being mangled into being stuck on AN EXTANT MATERIAL in the movie, thereby nullifying the term's meaning?

Sure, okay.

Can we get back to the fact that Avatar is more rife with film-cliches than SW: A New Hope?
SprintToTheFinish
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby SprintToTheFinish » 23 Mar 2010, 14:15

Hahaha, I didn't honestly see bringing up unobtainium would cause such a huge tangent. I was more concerned about the fact that they couldn't just come up with an original name than that it was called unobtainium. I mean really, they named every plant, animal, and spec of dust in that whole planet, and the one thing they couldn't make up their own name for was the object that caused the entire story. I really don't care that much though, that wasn't that big of a deal. I'll say though, I had expected more from Avatar, If for no other reason than the amount of money they put into it.

And I think they would call it unobtainium at that point, regardless of the fact that it exists, but that's what I think.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 23 Mar 2010, 17:44

"Plot-deviceium"
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 23 Mar 2010, 17:48

Evil Jim wrote:"Plot-deviceium"

Bananafish wrote:MacGuffinum

Heh, *~owned~*
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 23 Mar 2010, 18:20

Yeah, that was better. :)

So, how about all those other cliches?
DRog
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby DRog » 23 Mar 2010, 18:26

However you put it, unobtanium is a really fucking stupid name. At least just get a team of writers there. Call it cocaine for all I care.

Avatar redone as a movie about the seedy underbelly a city may work with that. They're trying to get the cocaine, cops try to stop them, cop goes in with criminals, criminals don't accept him at first, they gradually do, cop gets them cocaine, everyone is happy.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 23 Mar 2010, 18:31

Is it any worse than ununtrium or the other stupid names for the crazy elements that have only ever existed for mere moments in particle accelerators?
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 23 Mar 2010, 18:32

Aren't those just using the Latin and Greek numerical roots to say "element ###" until they can confirm that they've produced it and give it a proper name like "Roentgenium" (previously unununium, for element 111)?
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
DRog
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby DRog » 23 Mar 2010, 18:44

MG, that is in fact that case. I think 112 was recently renamed from ununbium to copernicium.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 23 Mar 2010, 19:20

Sweet, I actually managed to remember something from my three years of chemistry.

Return to “General Discussion”