New Doctor Who (Possible Spoilers)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Re: New Doctor Who (Possible Spoilers)

Postby Elomin Sha » 08 May 2010, 16:00

I liked the library card bit with the original Doctor's face on it.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 08 May 2010, 16:51

Next episode is definitely looking good, and I enjoyed this one, despite some sizeable gripes (I mean, forgetting the lack of sunshine, the fish EXPLODED from a compact!)
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 08 May 2010, 16:53

Here we go again. . .
Gordon Fearman wrote:Does Black Guy not own any other shirts?

So the Doctor's carrying around his library card. Wow, he must not have been to a library in a while. 'Cause it still has his original face on it. Wait, why's he carrying that around?
Could these be for comedic effect?
Gordon Fearman wrote:Why did they need to sink Venice?[. . .]

So none of them are wearing clothes, right?[. . .]

So the plan is to sink Venice.[. . .]
I'm not sure about the pylons, but yes, all of that was pretty much nonsense. One point, though: the tidal wave was a side effect of the fish-people's actual plan, which was to their weather-control device to create torrential rain.
Gordon Fearman wrote:So the Doctor climbs up a thing in a scene that can only be influenced by Assassin's Creed 2. He stops the spinning thing from spinning. He's standing on a really tiny ledge. Not a lot of room to manoeuvre. But then afterwards he kinda leans over without holding anything. Seems kinda dangerous.
He's the Doctor; danger is his middle name. He can probably keep his balance.
Gordon Fearman wrote:So was Beardy a fish thing too? Or did he just know about the fish? And he was helping them because he hates Venice or something?
It doesn't matter.
Gordon Fearman wrote:So the Doctor's like "I have a policy about guns and explosions." But didn't he use a gun two episodes ago? That lead me to believe his policy about guns were related to killing people with them. I mean, it's good that he didn't use the gunpowder because it would've made a lot of noise and then the fish would've found them, but they weren't going to kill anyone with it.
In the last story, though, using the gun was the only way to save everyone. This time, there were other options; even if there hadn't been right away, he had time to think about it, and they weren't in immediate danger.
Gordon Fearman wrote:So Black Guy's like "the place is like a fortress and the only way we can get in is through the tunnel." Why didn't they just go in the same way the Doctor did before?
Because Black Guy had to be a distraction for the Doctor to get in. And presumably after the trouble he caused the first time around, it would be a bit better guarded.
Gordon Fearman wrote:So the sonic screwdriver can heal wounds now? O...kay. Well, I guess it's never really come up before in the serieses. I mean, except in "The Empty Child".
Those two instances are the only times so far that I thought the Screwdriver was abused by the writers, so it wasn't too bad.
Gordon Fearman wrote:So the fish guys explode in sunlight. But they walk around during the day a lot. So it's just direct sunlight that irritates them or what?
Apparently so.
Gordon Fearman wrote:So then this weird guy's like "you're in the dream world now. If you die here, you return to reality." And then the Doctor's like "this is gonna be a tough one." Is it? It just seems like you throw yourself off a building or something.
Context, context, context. The exact thing that they don't want you to have in teasers.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 08 May 2010, 17:01

Ottoman wrote:Here we go again. . .
Gordon Fearman wrote:Does Black Guy not own any other shirts?

So the Doctor's carrying around his library card. Wow, he must not have been to a library in a while. 'Cause it still has his original face on it. Wait, why's he carrying that around?
Could these be for comedic effect?

That's what I said.

Ottoman wrote:One point, though: the tidal wave was a side effect of the fish-people's actual plan, which was to their weather-control device to create torrential rain.

What would that do though? Wouldn't it be harder to flood Venice with rain than any other city? Because it would drain into the ocean and stuff?

Ottoman wrote:
Gordon Fearman wrote:So was Beardy a fish thing too? Or did he just know about the fish? And he was helping them because he hates Venice or something?
It doesn't matter.

Okay, you don't seem to get that I know it doesn't matter. It's still a question, though. Did you miss the last time when the first thing I said was that the music was weird?

Ottoman wrote:
Gordon Fearman wrote:So the sonic screwdriver can heal wounds now? O...kay. Well, I guess it's never really come up before in the serieses. I mean, except in "The Empty Child".
Those two instances are the only times so far that I thought the Screwdriver was abused by the writers, so it wasn't too bad.

What two times? I was saying there was never really an instance when the Doctor would need to heal small wounds except during "The Empty Child" when he burned his hand on the Tardis console.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 08 May 2010, 17:13

Gordon Fearman wrote:What would that do though? Wouldn't it be harder to flood Venice with rain than any other city? Because it would drain into the ocean and stuff?
I didn't say that it was a good plan, just that it was the actual plan that was explained.
Gordon Fearman wrote:Okay, you don't seem to get that I know it doesn't matter. It's still a question, though. Did you miss the last time when the first thing I said was that the music was weird?
Argh, why do you care?
Gordon Fearman wrote:What two times? I was saying there was never really an instance when the Doctor would need to heal small wounds except during "The Empty Child" when he burned his hand on the Tardis console.
Oh. I though you were talking about the bit in that story when Rose fixes barbed wire with the Screwdriver. So I meant that that scene, as well as the healing-a-bite-wound one, were the only serious abuses of the Screwdriver so far in the new series.

Incidentally, I just watched The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances, and I don't remember the Doctor burning his hands. Could you elaborate?
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 08 May 2010, 17:15

You can't really notice him burning his hands, but when he first enters Jack's ship in "The Doctor Dances" the nanogenes swarm his hands and then he says that he burned it on the console.

And I care about all these things because I noticed them.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 08 May 2010, 19:38

The writers have said before that the screwdriver was a bit of plot device and sometimes just does what it needs to... Also its new and green and everyone knows that they can heal

I like Rory, he's funny and I look forward to more adventures with him. Also, did anyone notice that he had a nice mullet pony tail going on in the teaser?
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 08 May 2010, 19:56

Fast paced but not rushed, exciting and terrifying, with some bits that had me laughing in absolute delight. A great episode! I thought it was rather tightly woven, story wise, too!

And I like Rory! Yay Rory! Yay male companions!

And... I thought it was obvious that they chose Venice because it's a city that is actually sinkable? You know, since it's essentially built on wood beams on top of soft sand? All it would take is a nice big tidal wave....

Loved the library card and the psychic paper (I love the psychic paper!) and the Doctor popping out of cake. Delightful!

And next episode looks like it's going to scare the shit out of me. Goddamnit, Moffat.
elvor
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby elvor » 09 May 2010, 02:42

I wasn't too impressed by this one. It started strongly, but towards the end got more rushed and silly. The evil plan didn't really make sense. Rory was good though.

Next week looks fucking awesome though. I am hugely excited about it. And Gordon, the point is that they don't know which world is the dream one, so killing themselves would be a huge gamble.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 09 May 2010, 03:08

Doesn't he say "this is the dream world"?

elvor
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby elvor » 09 May 2010, 03:23

Nope. He just says that there are two worlds. Never specifies which one they're in.

Also, watching it again his final line implies that they have to choose a world. So I think the idea is that they actually do have to kill themselves in the dream world - once they work out which one that is.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 09 May 2010, 03:35

Oh. Okay then. I'm sorry.

iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 09 May 2010, 10:32

Well that was interesting.

I enjoyed it, but felt there was something missing. I love vamps (proper ones, not silly twilight ones), but the point is that they're all Gothic, dark and ever so slightly erotic. Ok so this episode had a bit of the erotic, but not enough dark and Gothic.

Anyway, in short, vamps are scary and sinister, big fat aliens are not. Remove the mystery and they stop being scary. Same thing with the Daleks in that episode; explain to quickly why they're offering tea and they stop being so damn scary.

So the key here is pacing. Why is dr who not an hour long? if it where an hour long they could spend more time at the start and then increase in pace, rather than the whole thing just being helter-skelter towards a slightly dull finale. There never seemed to be any real danger at any point. Oh noes! rain! save us. seriously? more scary: turn Amy into a vampire.

I think the episode tried to get though too much in too little time. Less complex plot, better pacing, more satisfying story. On this note: does everything have to threaten to destroy humanity? cant it just be slightly sinister and eat a few people? you dont need to have every story on a massive earth killing scale. It means things destroying earth and killing everyone gets a little old.

Also it looked a bit crap at times. What happened to the special effects budget? Did you guys spend it all on getting the Angels to move?

Next week looks sweet though. I hope it's as good as the trailer promises.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 09 May 2010, 11:48

Ummmm isn't doctor who an hour long? Sure, it's only 45 minutes without the commercials, but thats how all shows are
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 May 2010, 12:03

The first episode was including the specials but they're usually 45 minutes long.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
iamafish

Postby iamafish » 09 May 2010, 12:04

this is the BBC darling, we don't have Ad breaks.

Without them this was 50 minutes long, so actually slightly longer than usual.

With the plot they had they needed longer, it was too complex for 50 minutes. It felt rushed. They needed a more simply plot or a longer time slot.

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 09 May 2010, 12:56

I think that's been the problem with this series as a whole. Moffat has some very grand ideas, but they lend themselves more to 2-parters than single episodes. Heck, with the involvement of the arc in a greater way in these episodes I wonder if maybe he's thinking more old-school again. Maybe season 6 will have more 2-parters, or maybe it'll be a couple of stories with 6 episodes each.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 09 May 2010, 16:30

Doctor Who is officially capable of making better vampires out of fish than twilight can out of VAMPIRES!!
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Snowfire
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Snowfire » 10 May 2010, 02:23

epocalypse wrote:Doctor Who is officially capable of making better vampires out of fish than twilight can out of VAMPIRES!!

+ 1
Juliamon: Snowfire you are a gentleman and a scholar and a brilliant troll. I salute you.

D`Archangel: Snowfire: Your use of SPACE BID proves that you are a strong, adult woman. I am so, so proud of you. <--- Is actually male
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 11 May 2010, 13:36

Is anyone else getting annoyed at how the end of the season has been shoved in our faces since episode 1? In previous seasons it was a lot more subtle, like Bad Wolf. This time they've thrown the whole "2 periods of time colliding that never should have touched, the silence in coming" thing right from the start.

It's gotten to the point where every time they make the crack centre screen and zoom in on it, just in case we're blind or just complete idiots, that I want to turn the show off and walk away. I HAVEN'T done this yet though.

But really, does the crack need to be the plot device in ALMOST EVERY EPISODE? :/
#TeamKroze
iamafish

Postby iamafish » 11 May 2010, 13:44

It is slightly annoying.

I like the emphasis on the overarching storyline, but I do not like the way is it constantly shoved in our faces. Talk about the silence and the crack in reality and all that, fine, but you dont need to show us the crack, or provide us with silence at the end of every episode. Having the characters talk about it and foreshadow it is great, but you can have too much of a bad thing.

My Twitter

Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 12 May 2010, 02:00

I think they keep mentioning it so stupid children who have no long term memory know what's going on.
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 14 May 2010, 07:22

AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 14 May 2010, 07:56

Theremin wrote:Doctor Hoo?

Oh my goodness BEST THING EVER.
theduckthief

Postby theduckthief » 14 May 2010, 13:58

Gordon Fearman wrote:What's taking you weirdos so long? You know the internet exists, right?

This weirdo likes to take her time thank you very much.
In Soviet Russia Desert Bus crashes Bill twice!

Return to “General Discussion”