My PAX Story

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
davefp

My PAX Story

Postby davefp » 04 Apr 2010, 08:31

I had massive fun at PAX. Wil Wheaton's keynote was excellent, MC frontalot's concert was fantastic, and I had a great time playing new board/card games. A full writeup will have to wait but I want to tell you guys about the single most memorable event for me, that had been brewing for over a year since Desert Bus 2.

DB2 was my first Desert Bus. I had been familiar with LRR for a while, and I watched with great interest and enjoyment as the hours rolled by. There was dancing, stories, jokes, all sorts. But best of all, there were the auctions. Watching them was exciting, but participating was something else.

I had $200 in my paypal account, and I was determined to win something. I bid on a couple of items (I forget what they were) before finally winning a piece of LRR history: Jer's Starbull t-shirt. I spent rather more than my previously stated $200 limit, but I didn't care. I was having so much fun bidding, the crew were having so much fun running the auction, and all the money was going to a good cause. Money was no object. Bidding in and winning that auction was probably the most tense and exciting thing I've done while sitting down. I couldn't wait til next year.

By the time DB3 rolled round, things had changed somewhat. The primary problem was that I was unemployed, and unable to contribute as much as I would have liked to the cause. I still had a great time, but watching the auctions was bittersweet knowing that I wouldn't be able to win anything or even be in with a chance. My Starbull t-shirt was still sitting on its shelf where I'd put it on the day I opened it. I appreciated having it, no doubt, but I couldn't help but think that I was being selfish by hanging onto it. Despite my financial immobility, that shirt still had the same potential to generate goodwill and happiness. Sitting in my apartment, that potential was wasted. I was disappointed in myself.

On January 23rd of this year, I decided to go to PAX East. This desicision was directly influenced by the announcement that the LRR crew were going to be in attendance. In addition, I now had a new job, and would be able to fund the trip. Hooray! I began thinking about the shirt again, and the feelings I'd had during DB2.
After what seemed like forever, it was time for PAX. Being totally unorganized, I packed the morning I was due to leave for the con. Alongside my clothes, washbag and phone, I also packed the Starbull shirt.

I didn't meet the LRR crew until Saturday, at the meetup. I was late, and worried that they might have moved inside because of the cold and I would miss them entirely. Fortunately LRR fans are made of sterner stuff, and I found the gathering exactly where it was advertised. The shirt was in my hotel room. When they meetup ended, Graham said that the crew were returning to their table in bandland for a while. I ran back to my room and grabbed the shirt (which I'd packed in the padded envelope it had originally been sent to me in).

Back downstairs, I waited while King Kool got his basketball signed, then went up to say hi. I bought one of Kathleen's mini-comics (#6/35, a collector's item!) and a set of LRR buttons. Then I tried to tell the above story to Graham while holding the package with the tshirt in. I didn't do a very good job. I was worried for a second that he might think I was returning some merchandise that I was unhappy with. However when I finally finished rambling and stumbling over my words and got the shirt out, I got the reaction I was expecting. 'Is that what I think it... Oh wow!' He called James over, and they both took a look at the signatures. 'I don't remember writing this' laughed James, pointing at his own handwriting.

Then I told them the last part of my story: 'I want to give this shirt back to you guys, on one condition: That you auction it off again at the next Desert Bus'. My reasoning was this: The most pleasure I'd gotten from the shirt was the moment I won it, over a year ago. I wanted to give someone else that chance. Also, it's for the Children, so no-one loses! I look forward to seeing it again on uStream during the next Desert Bus for Hope. Who knows, maybe I'll bid on it again ;)
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Re: My PAX Story

Postby King Kool » 04 Apr 2010, 10:10

I was there! I'm a witness!
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
facelesscog
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby facelesscog » 05 Apr 2010, 11:32

Awesome story! Glad that your PAX experience was as great as mine! :) (Heck, I was happy just getting a blurry picture with the LRR crew!)
-Jeff
@Facelesscog
OmegaGimp 2010 PAXE
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 07 Apr 2010, 20:47

Awesome story. I'm just glad I got to give them cookies.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 08 Apr 2010, 20:51

That is SUCH a neat story! You are amazing. (Now I want to know why the heck Jeremy didn't tell me this story as part of his "here's how PAXEast was" recountings. Maybe he missed this bit. I'd better go make him read this.)
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 08 Apr 2010, 20:52

Jer wasn't there. It was Paul, Graham, James and Kathleen.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
davefp

Postby davefp » 12 Apr 2010, 12:07

Thanks for reading, everyone! I'm really looking forward to DB this year, if the current year-to-year trend continues the donation total will be astronomical.
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 12 Apr 2010, 12:12

Aww awesome! We salute you, sir!
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 12 Apr 2010, 19:00

Wow that was epic and its always good to know that there are good people out there.
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 13 Apr 2010, 21:37

Should have gave the shirt a teabag before you gave it back.

That way, if the person is really thirsty when the shirt arrives, they won't try and drink the shirt, because they will have a teabag that they can throw into water and make tea, which they can then drink.

Should have rubbed your nuts on it, too.
Image Image Image
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 13 Apr 2010, 22:49

I just found out about this and wanted to say "Awesome :)". Sorry I wasn't around to see you when you stopped by, but hopefully next time -- that's an amazing story.

Return to “General Discussion”