Best day of the year

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

What’s your take on the level of legalization?

Full legalization with no limits.
4%
Full legalization with limits like alcohol has.
63%
Medical only.
8%
No legal use for any reason.
13%
Other, please comment.
13%

Total votes: 24
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Re: Best day of the year

Postby Gordon Fearman » 20 Apr 2010, 16:12

Matt wrote:legalize, tax, regulate, restrict.

-m

Man, we should do this with murder. Imagine the profits.

(Note: This post isn't meant to criticise the original point.)
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
goat

Postby goat » 20 Apr 2010, 16:18

Maeglin wrote:I put it for being like alcohol, although I don't think there should be an age limit on either. My current mindset is that there should not be an age limit on use, but maybe to set an age limit for the purchase. That or what some have compared to a driver's license. You have to take a test to show your knowledge of the thing and potential consequences. After that though, you can use it.

No.

If there is an age limit for buying only, people will buy and give to kids. And I don't think that it's something that kids need to be exposed to.

A driver's license type exam would be a good idea, but equally unenforceable. If legalization happens it needs to be cut and dry as to who can use and who can't. Preferably, an obvious visual marker, like age, would be employed so that at a glance an officer can determine the legality of the situation.
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 20 Apr 2010, 16:22

I hate the smell of weed, and what it does to people.

I like how Ontario does alcohol: special government run shops which sell it. Normal stores can't unless they have this special government run store INDEPENDENTLY inside it.

Weed should be like this, if you must legalize it.

And, like cigarettes, please to be keeping it away from places I might go, ie restaurants, stores, malls, office buildings.

Fucking hate tobacco smoke, too.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 20 Apr 2010, 16:34

Bananafish wrote:
Dubious_wolf wrote:
Right I'm not a fan of legalizing it

Mind telling me why?

I really don't like any kind of drug taken for recreational purposes. Alcohol, pot, cigarettes , any of the illegal drugs, they aren't really good to do. Any time you light anything organic on fire and inhale the resulting smoke you are breathing in carcinogens... basically I am not a fan of legalization, but i realize that there are some strong arguments for legalization, and the arguments against it aren't great.
No I don't have any specific number I just know in my area of crazy ol' Texas most of the suburbs of Dallas/Ft. Worth Have passed city ordinances along these lines.
^( " )^
winner!
Gordon Fearman
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 20 Apr 2010, 16:40

theDreamer wrote:I hate the smell of weed, and what it does to people.

But duuuuude. If you don't do weed just because you're like...afraid of how it's going to like...change your behaviour, then it's already like...changing your behaviour maaaaaaaan.

And yes, real argument made on these forums. Just it was for alcohol. You can check.

Anyway, I think that all drugs should be made legal for rappers only. All laws should be removed for rappers. Then they can't rap about how they oppose establishment.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 20 Apr 2010, 19:45

Trymantha wrote: Alcohol is far to deep rooted in our history and up bringing to be illegalized

It has more to do with the fact that there is no multi-million Marijuana lobby like there is with things like cigarettes and alcohol.
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 20 Apr 2010, 19:47

Gordon Fearman wrote:Then they can't rap about how they oppose establishment.

You don't listen to good rap~
InsaneFool
First Video: How to Talk like a Pirate

Postby InsaneFool » 20 Apr 2010, 19:57

Bananafish wrote:
Trymantha wrote: Alcohol is far to deep rooted in our history and up bringing to be illegalized

It has more to do with the fact that there is no multi-million Marijuana lobby like there is with things like cigarettes and alcohol.

That and the whole "War on Drugs" thing has done a good job of demonizing marijuana to people who are ignorant of the drug and its effects. This is about the only thing it has managed to accomplish.
Personal Fail Count: 3ish? (So Far)
Follow me on Twitter
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 20 Apr 2010, 20:03

I have had nothing to do with it, nor will I if given the option. HOWEVER... I've been told that the argument against taxation is that it's too easy to grow, so it would be rather unenforcable. Contrary to tobacco that is stubborn and a time-consuming growth and development, Pot tends to grow wild in a lot of the US, and even in areas where it doesn't, a hot house in someone's garage can produce a large amount of product in a short amount of time. This makes it extremely difficult to regulate and tax.

As I said, I don't really have an opinion either way, but it's a point I hadn't seen mentioned yet.
DRog

Postby DRog » 20 Apr 2010, 20:04

I'm for legalizing and large restrictions. Like smoking cigarettes or drinking. I'm also surprised that Berkeley stayed off that list. At UC Berkeley today there were about 300 people congregated smoking, all together.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 20 Apr 2010, 20:12

It's the middle of exam week for me, I had an exam today, and I have another one tomorrow. I'm not about to get stoned off my ass, even if I were the type to do so. While I have shown up to exams drunk before, that was in high school with Music and Canadian History, which are far simpler than Discrete Math and Information Systems.

As for legalizing it, I'm not convinced that it's less dangerous than alcohol (and seeing as joints tend to contain four times the amount of carcinogens that are in cigarettes, it's certainly not significantly safer than smoking). However, so long as the same laws presently in place in my area that cover smoking apply (no smoking inside in public places, have to be a certain distance away from buildings, blah blah blah), I don't really care. I've tried it a few times, never really got any effects from it, but to each their own. So I have no problem with legalizing it in theory.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
far_wanderer
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby far_wanderer » 20 Apr 2010, 21:34

I'm of the opinion that people shouldn't be using drugs of any sort for any reason other than health. And I include even things as "normal" as alcohol and caffeine in that list of drugs. But that's a cultural battle, not a legal one. And more importantly, it's a cultural battle that was lost a long time ago.
So I'm fine with legalization. I won't vote for it, if it comes to that, but I won't try to stop it. People are going to do drugs regardless, and unlike alcohol, cigarettes, and coffee, the smell of pot doesn't make me instantly nauseous.
Whitmore
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Whitmore » 20 Apr 2010, 22:13

smoke pot 420!!

In all seriousness, I haven't tried it, but I've seen people on it and those particular people are INSUFFERABLE!

I agree with Matt.
The answer to everything is always tubes.
TheRocketSiobhan wrote:You:"He's the kind that completes me.. he is a best friend for life... that's what kind he is"
Hottie:"OMFG UR SEW IN TOUCH WITH FEELINGS. I WANT UR PENIS IN ME NOW"
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 20 Apr 2010, 22:34

Dubious_wolf wrote:I really don't like any kind of drug taken for recreational purposes. Alcohol, pot, cigarettes , any of the illegal drugs, they aren't really good to do. Any time you light anything organic on fire and inhale the resulting smoke you are breathing in carcinogens... basically I am not a fan of legalization, but i realize that there are some strong arguments for legalization, and the arguments against it aren't great.
No I don't have any specific number I just know in my area of crazy ol' Texas most of the suburbs of Dallas/Ft. Worth Have passed city ordinances along these lines.

So, no one should be allowed to smoke pot because you don't want to smoke pot?

Now, I don't smoke pot. I have no desire to. But I have in the past. But I do have sex for pleasure while using birth control. It does absolutely no good to my body except making me feel good. And it can lead to injuries, trust me on that one. And even with a condom, there is a small risk of receiving an STD.

Should consensual sex between two adults be illegal if not for the purpose of procreation?
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 20 Apr 2010, 22:47

Arius I actually believe that in some states there are archaic laws which haven't been removed, do to the hassle it would be to remove those laws through more legislation that say something to that effect, yes. However do to the right to Privacy citizens of the United States mostly enjoy, these archaic laws are unenforceable. No I'm not saying just because I don't want to no one should. What I am saying is that legal or no it needs to stay far, far, far the fuck away from me. I would rather it stay illegal 'cause then I don't come into contact with it, if it's legal it is accepted and so you will see it in everyday life, and I don;t want to.

And I did see one person pointing out the ease with which pot grows, and while this is true, I do have a theory. People are by and large really really damned lazy. If they don't HAVE to grow their own weed then they probably won't. You will get those that want to grow it. However those people are akin to people who make their own alcohol. most people don't distill their own alcohol, most of us go down to the liquor store and by our alcohol. 'cause it's easier.

Oh another argument against it is the difficulty proving someone is high. as far as I know there isn't a quick test similar to the Breathalyzer test to check if you are being affected in some one by a substance.
^( " )^
winner!
Arius

Postby Arius » 20 Apr 2010, 22:58

If I don't want to be around alcohol, I don't go to bars.

If I don't want to be around cigarettes, I stay away from them.

If I don't want to be around meat, I go to a vegan restaurant.

If I don't want to be around children, I unzip.

I have choices I make, but I would never impose my choices on another's right to choose for themselves. And I'd expect the same courtesy from them, and if they can't respect my choice, they don't need to be my friend.

And you want to tell if someone is high? Show them some Dane Cook stand up. If they laugh, they're high.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 20 Apr 2010, 23:04

I'm in favour of any legislation that limits, restricts or outright bans (especially bans) usage of tobacco products. The last thing I want is MORE products that people can ignite & inhale for recreation. Especially if it's highly recommended they don't drive or operate heavy machinery within four hours afterward. Smokers are filthy people & the fewer of them there are, the better.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Arius

Postby Arius » 20 Apr 2010, 23:12

Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 20 Apr 2010, 23:25

no no I'm with Evil Jim on this one.
^( " )^
winner!
InsaneFool

Postby InsaneFool » 20 Apr 2010, 23:31

Completely understandable, and by understandable I mean retarded.

God forbid someone else in this world makes different choices than you.

Really, unless a smoker is being a douche and blowing smoke in your face, how is it any of your business what I do in the privacy of my home or car.
Follow me on Twitter
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 20 Apr 2010, 23:41

The only smokers I see are in public, & therefore douches. Every time I drive, someone ahead of me is throwing their butt out the car window to throw sparks on the road. Every time I walk down the street there are people in business doorways stinking up the air because they can't do it inside. Everywhere I go there are cigarette butts on the ground, the sidewalks & gutters. The world is not your ashtray.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Arius

Postby Arius » 20 Apr 2010, 23:45

Simple way to solve that:
Have police enforce litter laws. It's illegal to throw a cigarette butt out the window of a car. Both as littering and a fire hazard. Cars come with ash trays.

And I see far more piles of fast food packaging than anything else.
InsaneFool

Postby InsaneFool » 21 Apr 2010, 00:01

Evil Jim wrote:The world is not your ashtray.

But it is all our septic tank!
Follow me on Twitter
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 21 Apr 2010, 00:39

Arius wrote:Simple way to solve that:
Have police enforce litter laws. It's illegal to throw a cigarette butt out the window of a car. Both as littering and a fire hazard. Cars come with ash trays.

And I see far more piles of fast food packaging than anything else.

It's not that simple. There aren't enough police & it's too small of a crime. I really wish litter laws were more heavily enforced. Or rather, that people themselves followed them just because it makes the environment look nicer. When I was in Japan 5 years ago the places I visited were so clean that on the occasions I found litter *I* felt compelled to pick it up & throw it away just because there was so little of it.
Arius

Postby Arius » 21 Apr 2010, 01:17

And there's the problem right there. The law isn't enforced and people don't care. It's not because they're smokers, it's because they're people.

Also, I'm pretty sure Japan has the highest rate of smokers per capita. Not 100% sure, but I know there's a lot.

Return to “General Discussion”