Whats in a Username?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Re: Whats in a Username?

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 23 Apr 2010, 14:25

I was over at a mate's house, and she said "you know what I watched the other day? Sword in the Stone. There's that bit in it with the witch, who's utterly nuts and has that really weird laugh and wears a lot of purple? Yeah, she reminds me of you."
"Oh... thanks?"
"Yeah. So you're Mad Madam Mim from now on."

Except I added an extra "m" on the end, because I felt it looked better.
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
WBAGNR
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby WBAGNR » 23 Apr 2010, 14:36

Well, my first username was crafted for Runescape of all things. This would have been in my second year of senior school, so 2003-ish I wanted to have 'mental', but that was taken, so I used 'mental62'. This stuck for a long time, and I think even my myspace account may still use it, and I occaisionally check to see if the account is still running on runescape, which it is!

I then changed to WBAGNR when I got Xbox Live, as I needed a gametag, and so I combined two things I liked at the time: West Bromwich Albion (my soccer/football team), which is often abbreviated to WBA, and Guns 'n' Roses, who were my favourite band back then.

I couldn't be bothered to type W.B.A.G.N.R, so I just ran it together, allowing for hilarities on XBL were Americans try to call me 'Wug-bag-ner-ruh'.

I just prefer it if people call me Mark :)
iamafish wrote:copping a feel is just the gentlemanly thing to do

My travel blog
Agloriouscuppa
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 23 Apr 2010, 14:37

well mine sort of came about because when I was in school and doing theatre things.. yes I was that kid.. I was in glee club too so shut it.. anyway my surname sounded alot like latte and so I became known as latte... But I hated coffee and was just starting to love tea.. so I told my friends to call me cuppa.. I just added the glorious bit on after awhile...
It doesnt help does it?

Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 23 Apr 2010, 14:38

Maybe you should call yourself ellipsespam dude!
Nothing to see here.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 23 Apr 2010, 14:39

Entry #4966: February 25, 2005

I'm stuck here on a lone island. I think the natives call it "The Nintendo NSider Forums". Anyways, all of the people around here are using crazy pseudonyms with weird spellings and numbers. NUMBERS. However, to fit in here, I feel I must do the same. My friends back home say I'm quite obsessed with video games. Hm, maybe "VideoGameFreak"? No, that's much too long and generic. AH! How about "VGFreek"? Yes, while it's still generic, the misspelling of "freak" is quite unique, and "VG" could technically mean anything. Vince Gill. Vegetable Garden. Vagi-No, nevermind. Hm, as far as numbers go, I do have a liking for 34 and 36. Eh, let's combine them.

Hm, "VGFreek346". I like it. Let's hope I fit in.

Entry #6204: July 17, 2008

Ah, my first non-Nintendo console: The Xbox360. You are so sleek and new. Well, to me at least. I can finally join that club I always wanted to join. "Xbox Live" was it? Anyways, they seem to have strange monikers, just like those people on that island way back when. These people seem much older, and "VGFreek346" seems quite juvenile. I still have a special place in my heart for it, though. Maybe I can rework it. Hm...

Ok,expanded it is "VideoGameFreek346". Maybe...

VideoGameFreek

Yes! I like it! Vigafre! It's quite sleek, and it doesn't sound very juvenile. While I do like the numbers, adding them to an already made up word/name seems unnecessary. It does sound like a Dungeon and Dragons name, though. Ah well.

-----

And I've stuck with it ever since.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 23 Apr 2010, 14:40

Machalllewis wrote:Maybe you should call yourself ellipsespam dude!

That wasn't even close to ellipses spam (I fucking ellipses spam [like a fuck ton {I also bracket spam in case you couldn't tell}]).
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Machalllewis

Postby Machalllewis » 23 Apr 2010, 14:42

He used ellipses instead of full stops! No full stops in that post! All ellipses all the time!
Nothing to see here.
Agloriouscuppa
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 23 Apr 2010, 14:46

You act as though every time I use ellipses I am potentially ending you life, get off your perilously tall pedestal and join us peons in the muck.
It doesnt help does it?

Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter
Elaro
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Elaro » 23 Apr 2010, 14:47

Alex -> Alero -> Elaro

Alex is the name I gave to the kid in Legend of Zelda:Oracle of Seasons/Ages, and when it came time to start a new file, I named myself Elaro (because Alero was too obvious).
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 23 Apr 2010, 14:51

Waay back when KaZaA was still something that people used I discovered that usernames existed, so I made my first username on KaZaA VanillaFlavourCheesecake by flipping through a dictionary that was on the desk nearby and sticking my finger down randomly and using what came up.

Once I discovered that this was too long for most username limitations I shortened it to Vanilla Jester, for no particular reason other than I liked how it sounded and thought Jesters had it fairly good, what with being able to (within reason) make fun of everybody, even monarchs. Which appeald to my personality, because I would.
I kept the vanilla part because I like the falvour, and because vanilla pops up in a surprising number of ingredients lists. Something about the fact that something considered so unnasuming and ordinary being all over the everywhere, in the most unlikely of places, appealed too. It had nothng to do with the fact that I'm white. :P

Anyway, I used that for a while untill I started abbreviating it to simply 'The Jester' since I'm a bit lazy, and I used that on here because I thought I'd try and move forward again, shorten my screen name and mature a bit. Leave behind some of the trappings of my past. But in fact I do still like the name Vanilla Jester, and use it when Vanilla Jester won't fit, or when I feel like it. ;)
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 23 Apr 2010, 14:58

Real name is Eric. I had trouble coming up with a name for a DND character so I tacked an "A" in front to make it fantasy-esque and it stuck. I used it throughout my BBS and MUD days.

I'm a Montreal Canadiens fan, as well as a fan of Maurice Richard who wore the number 9 for them. When it came time to get my own jersey though the 9 didn't look right on my wide back, so I added the zero to make it 90.

When I got to the internets there were other Aerics so I tacked the 90 on the end.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
lugthor
First Video: the job

Postby lugthor » 23 Apr 2010, 15:00

I am very much like you machalllewis with the exception that this has been my only screen name. my screen name was born when I was about 12 or 13. I was raised in a house of mac users so computer gaming beyond warcraft 1,2, and 3 and starcraft was almost non existent.(mom is an avid christian so i wasn't able to play Diablo till much latter). while good games me and my older brother needed variety so we where eventually were forced to go look on the Internet for free games. it was in one such game (not unlike the one that Luinie described but I forget witch but i remember it wasn't very good) during my character creation that i asked my brother what would be a good name for an orc warlord. after a few minutes of brainstorming he suggested Lugthor and i decided to use it. after that it just stuck around. I like it because it is unique to me and it has some sentimental value as something my brother gave me. So what's in my screen name? not much just history.

(P.S. I was a huge machall fan! i still keep my favorites saved onto my hardrive. i read their new comic. its good but i still prefer machall.)
Steamcastle wrote:Well I think that we have more mad scientist and evil genius in the runners, also we have Tall Paul and also we have this cake.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 23 Apr 2010, 15:01

Twofold; my old 'nickname' on the USENET was empty, or rather 'eMpTy', thus playing an onomatopoeic double entendre with my initials being IN the 'nic' and being a homonym with the word.

At one point, someone commented on how understanding and sympathetic I was to others - how I could take a text-only discussion from a complete stranger and somehow bond with them and 'get' what they were feeling, and introduced me to a term that refers to it.

...that the term is very similar to my previous nic only made adopting it all the better.

As the Internet has become more and more populous, I begin to find even this semi-obscure term already snapped up as a username, so I've taken the cynicism that aging (and spending more than a decade on these tubes) has tempered me with, and prefaced the 'nic' with 'jaded_' where necessary, and any 'user slogan' or similar field being filled with "Yes, I CAN understand what you feel, but I'm far too cynical to care to." or similar.
Dempsas
First Video: ss

Postby Dempsas » 23 Apr 2010, 15:30

Not very exciting but:
My username was chucked at me at high school via the novell client, Dempsas: dempsey being my last name cut short, and A S being the initials of my first and middle name, Not a very interesting story but I have used it online scince except for a few sites where I use ADAM_KH99 because of my liking for kingdom hearts.

Back then when I was young was all like I got the SAS.... I know Soo lame!!
Now I use it frequently even the uni signed me up with the same name.
Machalllewis

Postby Machalllewis » 23 Apr 2010, 15:39

Agloriouscuppa wrote:

You act as though every time I use ellipses I am potentially ending you life, get off your perilously tall pedestal and join us peons in the muck.

Dude, come on though. Are you saying that it wasn't all ellipses based? No I didnt make it a big deal, I said one sentence and here comes your over reaction. I cracked a fucking joke and here you come saying I over reacted. That was an all ellipses posts. Thats all it had. Come on dude. Chill out, slow down, its cool.
Nothing to see here.
Ayailla

Postby Ayailla » 23 Apr 2010, 15:50

Ayailla: D&D Goddess of Light.

I needed a name for my Paladin on WoW and, as usual, looked up a list of D&D deities to steal a name from. Found Ayailla, loved it and started using it for everything.

Google it, you get two results for, "Did you mean: Axilla?", one for D&D and then "Stacy Roberts (Ayailla) on Twitter" So, I'm impressed.

Note: I pronounce it Eye-illa. Not sure if that's how it's meant to be prononced but, I do so there.
*If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad.* - Lord Byron
Snowfire
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Snowfire » 23 Apr 2010, 16:11

Hmmm....now where the hell did that book go. There it is!

Winds of Fury by Mercedes Lackey. Minor character name that I've always liked. Also it's got the whole current of oxymoron running through it. It's always a lot nicer (at least in my opinion) then Firesong, Darkwind, Songwind, Dawnfire, etc.

Ok, Dawnfire, could have worked. I just prefer Snowfire. I have another username I use when I can't get Snowfire, as it has become more difficult to get after Eragon's horse got called Snowfire. That one pulls purely from a nickname from when I was much younger. It's never been taken on any forum, so it works when I can't get the one I use here. Which is now infinitely more awesome due to Desert Bus 09. Come on, it just is.
Juliamon: Snowfire you are a gentleman and a scholar and a brilliant troll. I salute you.

D`Archangel: Snowfire: Your use of SPACE BID proves that you are a strong, adult woman. I am so, so proud of you. <--- Is actually male
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 23 Apr 2010, 16:37

letters.
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 23 Apr 2010, 16:46

Reading all these cool stories makes me wish my nickname had a bigger meaning.

Elsewhere I do go by "Levi_theDreamer" and I prefer it, but I only started that after here.

Levi being my not entirely real not entirely fake first name.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
InsaneFool
First Video: How to Talk like a Pirate

Postby InsaneFool » 23 Apr 2010, 17:19

I started using InsaneFool thanks to GameSpy of all things.

Way back when Medal of Honor: Allied Assault came out I decided to register with their forums over at Planet Medal of Honor. I couldn't come up with an original name, so I clicked on their Random Name Generator (called the Naminator at the time)...that spewed out Insane Byte.

So I made it one word, and because it was 2002 and I was super elite and stuff, I mixed the capitalization to come up with InSaNeByTe.

I rocked that for about a week and decided I didn't like Byte, and switched it to Fool.

A few years later I realized it was stupid to alternate caps, and just made it InsaneFool.
Personal Fail Count: 3ish? (So Far)
Follow me on Twitter
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 23 Apr 2010, 17:21

My user name is my first name and part of my last name. It was the user name on the AOL account my dad set up for me back when AOL wasn't bad... in the Windows 3.1 days.

Unless there's a MUD'er or BBS'er around who hasn't changed their username I might have the oldest here, some time between 92 and 95.
operagirl95
First Video: n

Postby operagirl95 » 23 Apr 2010, 17:23

You beat me, mine started in 95
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 23 Apr 2010, 17:41

First name Mister
Middle initial Period
Last name Fiend.

So my first online handle was nnybone213, a combination of my two favorite comic books, Johnny The Homicidal Maniac and Bone, plus 213 for...some reason. It was pronounced "knee bone 213". I stopped liking Bone and JTHM stopped, so I made a change.

After that I was MurderSaint, based loosely on The Saint of Killers from the comic Preacher. Dropped it because some mod somewhere had a problem with it.

Back when I was in the First Church of Satan, I was called Frater Perdurabo, the other name of Alistair Crowley. Kinda pretentious, not unlike Satanism. Those lasted about six months.

And then there is Mister Fiend, which was based on my love of the band The Misfits, and their fanbase called the Fiends or the Fiend Club. Somehow I felt that adding Mister to Fiend would pretty much sum up my persona, and it had a familiar ring to it.

Years later I was watching some reruns of Rugrats while hung the FUCK over when the episode titled "Mister Fiend" came on, which was about a curiously advanced robot clown toy called Mister Friend that scared the crap out of the characters, who referred to it as "Mister Fiend". At first I was pissed, then I realized that a person(toy) that just wants to be friends but winds up scaring and ultimately being destroyed by those I sought friendship from pretty much describes me to a T.

Speaking of T, my frequent mohawks are a slight reference to Mr. T, who (as a child of the 80's) I still think is pretty damn cool.
Last edited by Mister Fiend on 24 Apr 2010, 11:26, edited 2 times in total.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 23 Apr 2010, 17:45

Short story by Salinger
The Italian
First Video: Writer's Room
Location: Starting the Italian occupation of the US in Jacksonville, Fl

Postby The Italian » 23 Apr 2010, 17:50

I chose mine not because I find my ethnicity super fantastic but because it is something that a lot of people identify me by. For instance, my English teacher yells "Anotonio!!!" whenever he sees me and says "In Italia..." whenever he says something to me. My History teacher makes a lot of Italian jokes considering how post-Renaissance my people kind of sucked. She also calls me the Italian and even writes it down like whenever she puts me in a group (In fact, in her grade book, my name isn't even there, it just says "the Italian"). And, my French and Sociology teachers make a lot of mafia jokes like asking me if I can "do them a favor". So, I don't know. I never saw my ethnicity as important. Its just the people around me who made it a defining feature of mine. So that's why I went with it.
Master Gunner wrote:One's a young Italian living in Florida who's new to the internet, the other is a grizzled and seasoned spambot with no land to call his own. Together, they fight crime!

Return to “General Discussion”