Oh the Horrors!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Snowfire
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Re: Oh the Horrors!

Postby Snowfire » 30 Apr 2010, 12:44

korri wrote:I don't like Horror movies or even haunted houses because for some reason I get scared very easily. This leads to really bad nightmares and many sleepless nights. For example after I saw Signs (yes I know, not very scary at all) I had to sleep with all my closet doors and windows shut. Did I mention I was in high school at the time?

This is me. Yep, I'm a wuss. So sue me :P
Juliamon: Snowfire you are a gentleman and a scholar and a brilliant troll. I salute you.

D`Archangel: Snowfire: Your use of SPACE BID proves that you are a strong, adult woman. I am so, so proud of you. <--- Is actually male
iamevilchris
First Video: Max Effect

Postby iamevilchris » 30 Apr 2010, 19:09

aeric90 wrote:Favorite kills?

the lawnmower scene in Brain Dead/Dead Alive (the Peter Jackson zombie movie).

also, Dead Snow just might be the greatest zombie movie ever, of all time. think Evil Dead but with Nazi Zombies in Norway.
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 30 Apr 2010, 19:13

korri wrote:I don't like Horror movies or even haunted houses because for some reason I get scared very easily. This leads to really bad nightmares and many sleepless nights. For example after I saw Signs (yes I know, not very scary at all) I had to sleep with all my closet doors and windows shut. Did I mention I was in high school at the time?

Yeah, I'm a wuss, but I've always been scared of stuff. Even now, if I think about people breaking into my apartment at night, it scares the shit out of me and I end up awake all night with every little sound making me jump...

So no horror movies for me....

I used to be like that, and then I realised that in your head, there are no weapon laws. So the me in my head who gets attacked by things is armed. WELL armed. :twisted: It sounds stupid but believe me if you imagine taking a monster/burglar to bits with a really BIG gun, the (absolutely miniscule) chance of it actually happening becomes significantly less scary.

(I like to carry a mental shotgun at all times. It keeps the bad things away, or at the very least in pain. :wink:)

Sorry for off-topic-ish but I've always wanted to post that and this is the closest I've gotten to relevance with it. :D
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 30 Apr 2010, 22:59

I'm not a scary movie person (well I liked the two "Non-Wayans Bros." Scary Movies). However, some of the stuff that I have seen is the stuff that fucks you up. I watched Carrie (Sissy Spacek) from the Prom scene on to the end, and I watched most of The Ring (US).

However, the one thing I agree with most on is this: the only person to ever do horror properly is Alfred Hitchcock. It's not the gore that scares you, it's the PLAUSIBILITY of it happening to you. You could fall from a bell tower, or see a murderer in the building across the street, or be mistaken for a spy from an enemy country. Birds can try to harm you, and you can meet someone with Dissociative Identity Disorder.
madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 01 May 2010, 14:15

PROGRAM_IX wrote:

Yeah, I'm a wuss, but I've always been scared of stuff. Even now, if I think about people breaking into my apartment at night, it scares the shit out of me and I end up awake all night with every little sound making me jump...

So no horror movies for me....

I used to be like that, and then I realised that in your head, there are no weapon laws. So the me in my head who gets attacked by things is armed. WELL armed. :twisted: It sounds stupid but believe me if you imagine taking a monster/burglar to bits with a really BIG gun, the (absolutely miniscule) chance of it actually happening becomes significantly less scary.

(I like to carry a mental shotgun at all times. It keeps the bad things away, or at the very least in pain. :wink:)

Sorry for off-topic-ish but I've always wanted to post that and this is the closest I've gotten to relevance with it. :D

I also do this. Things are less scary when you can blow the crap out of them with a pulse rifle. This might be why I like Aliens so much (could you guess from my avatar?).
And also why I like zombie games, because they FALL BENEATH MY MIGHTY FIREARMS! RAGGHH! The very few (parts) of horror movies I've seen tend to involve me turning off (or going away) and imagining myself murdering every last one of everything I found disturbing.
Keelah Se'lai
GaProgMan
First Video: 1337 - 64K

Postby GaProgMan » 01 May 2010, 16:21

I would have to say that two of the scariest films I've ever seen are: the original Ju On and GhostWatch

Ju On, while not being scary to the point of making you jump out of your seat - or as Bruce Campbell puts it "Punching the guy sitting next to you in the arm," - it is very creepy, and some of the deaths/disappearances give the feeling that you can be taken from (literally) anywhere. That, and the kid is real creepy. I can't tell you the amount of times I've walked past a mirror and expected that kid to be there.

GhostWatch was a typical piece of British film making. It started out really light hearted and fun, then went for a drive through creepy, past scary and into down right crap-your-self realism. It was presented as a "live" show when it was first aired (note: it's only ever been aired once), and the public took it as that. It's filmed like a documentary, with several scenes filmed 2 or 3 times to add an air of suspicion in the viewers mind. Plus, the antagonist is only ever seen for 10 to 15 frames at a time.

Zombies movies CAN be good, more often then not they're just an excuse to use violence in a movie. That being said, they do seem to be the easiest of the genre to make.

@tak197: Whilst I've only ever seen Psycho, I would have to agree with you. 15 gazillion people in the world cannot be wrong about the genius that is Hitchcock. Plus, my favourite place to eat is named after him.
Avatar image is part of Vanilla Jester's Draw-A-Thing series on LRR forumers
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 01 May 2010, 20:31

Personally I don't like horror movies.
1) I don't enjoy being scared.
2) If the movie doesn't scare you, then it's just lame.
3) ...Or it's hilarious, in which case it's not really horror at all, is it.

The exception would be zombie movies. I'm a sucker for zombie movies. Of course, they're kind of their own genre.
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 01 May 2010, 21:22

metcarfre wrote:Personally I don't like horror movies.

Well some horror movies can inspire fear subtly and can be frightening when it doesn't show anything at all. Causing you to look at the film after it's finished and go, "Oh geeze...I better lock that door". I'm trying to think of one, but nothing comes to mind unfortunately.
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 01 May 2010, 21:23

I prefer psychological horror. Things like One Hour Photo. That was fucking terrifying.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 01 May 2010, 21:58

Zombaholic wrote:
metcarfre wrote:Personally I don't like horror movies.

Well some horror movies can inspire fear subtly and can be frightening when it doesn't show anything at all. Causing you to look at the film after it's finished and go, "Oh geeze...I better lock that door". I'm trying to think of one, but nothing comes to mind unfortunately.

Yes, but why would I do that? I don't enjoy that!
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 01 May 2010, 22:16

For the thrill! It's like a roller coaster ride but the straps aren't on right as you creep forward! Horrifying but man do you have a story to tell

Or you could watch this film
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0779982/
Either way I forgot my point
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
Ayailla
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Ayailla » 02 May 2010, 12:49

Best way to get through horror films is take the piss the entire way through.
I do that all the time. I have a running joke when it comes to watching Ju-on.

Incidentally, Japanese horror films are the best. They are so not scary when you watch them, but they stick with you. I had a fear of televisions that are turned off for ages after watching Ringu.

Plus... and this is the best thing ever... there is a Japanese horror film with the same name as me. My real name is Stacy. Get this... I am not kidding...
Yes this means I am slightly biased towards the awesomeness of Japanese horror films and no I don't care. And yes, that is a zombie film. :D

Somebody bought me that film for my 20th birthday. IT'S THE BEST FILM EVER!

Yes, the bias crept in again. And no, I won't stop answering questions you haven't even asked me.
*If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad.* - Lord Byron
GaProgMan
First Video: 1337 - 64K

Postby GaProgMan » 02 May 2010, 13:01

Ayailla wrote:...I have a running joke when it comes to watching Ju-on.

interesting. What is this running joke? (if you don't mind sharing, that is)
Avatar image is part of Vanilla Jester's Draw-A-Thing series on LRR forumers
Ayailla

Postby Ayailla » 02 May 2010, 13:08

It's really pathetic but cracks us up. Erm... have you seen 'On the Moon' on weebls-stuff.com? Basically, every time the a ghost turns up, say "Hello!" in Insanity Prawn Boy's voice. It's expecially funny in the scene where the girl is in the elevator and the little boy is on every floor. "Hello. Hello. Hello." Like I said, Pathetic.

We like to dub over it too. We've had some really hilarious comments dubbing over Japanese horror films. Ju-on is the easiest though.
elvor
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby elvor » 03 May 2010, 05:14

I love ze horror. I'm more into scary games, because horror in general really don't work as horror. Scariest film I've seen though is Paranormal Activity for sure. I keep intending to watch Takashi Miike's scarier stuff as well.
Whitmore
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Whitmore » 03 May 2010, 05:17

Coincidence, just today we were told that mostly all horror music is purposefully atonal. Especially the ones that belay a strong sense of dread [Do a lot of them do this? I don't know I haven't seen much horror]
The answer to everything is always tubes.
TheRocketSiobhan wrote:You:"He's the kind that completes me.. he is a best friend for life... that's what kind he is"
Hottie:"OMFG UR SEW IN TOUCH WITH FEELINGS. I WANT UR PENIS IN ME NOW"
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 03 May 2010, 06:23

I like horror movies up until a certain point: the point that what's going on is explained. I can only find fear in the unknown, like if a person is is forced to come face to face with a malevolent being or spirit that they are powerless to stop, and have no idea why. Once the situation is explained, and the protagonist has a way of stopping the events, it just becomes an action adventure in my eyes. On a side note, I really like "Quarantine".
For the record though, Judge Doom from Who Framed Roger Rabbit it still the most terrifying character I've ever seen.
Ayailla

Postby Ayailla » 03 May 2010, 10:56

How do we all feel about comedy horror? There are a lot of comedy zombie films, but there are others like "Scary Movie." What is the general opinion?
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 03 May 2010, 11:16

"Shaun of the Dead" is, as far as I can tell, the only perfectly good blend of horror and comedy that doesn't decend into parody.

And it has Grandmaster Flash... Rrrrang-dang-diggity-dang-gi-dang.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Ayailla

Postby Ayailla » 03 May 2010, 11:19

There's a Japanese one called Wild Zero that I love. It's got the rock band Guitar Wolf as the zombie, fighters. And an awesome twist involving a wannabe rocker and his love interest. :)

(Also, this is my 100th post. Got here in 67 days. :D)

Return to “General Discussion”