Books you're reading now

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Re: Books you're reading now

Postby EnglishMQ » 07 Feb 2012, 13:28

After embarrassing myself by not knowing who F. Scott Fitzgerald was, I've resolved to read The Great Gatsby and The Beautiful and the Damned on my Kindle.
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 07 Feb 2012, 17:13

Just finished Ezekiel and Christ on a bike was it ever tiresome. Been a while since I've read (done) something which angered me enough to not only finish out of sheer Sisyphean bloodymindedness but also to record my hatred in writing, but this did the job nicely. I cannot read this goddamn book in anything but fits and spurts and this is why.

On a lighter note, Ivor Cutler was a damn fine poet.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 07 Feb 2012, 17:44

Reading The Divine Comedy (more GPLPs dangit!) and The Prince. Getting some Alice in Wonderland and Dracula in there for good measure.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 07 Feb 2012, 20:34

MotorWaffle wrote:Reading The Divine Comedy (more GPLPs dangit!) and The Prince. Getting some Alice in Wonderland and Dracula in there for good measure.

Oh, sorry, sorry, sorry; Hope that didn't disturb you too much, there. It was the sound of books - pages being turned. So that's just what I was doing, just reading, uh, books. So not a moron. Anyway, just finished the last one, just now, the hardest one. Machiavelli. Do not know what all the fuss was about - understood it perfectly. Have you read that one?
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 07 Feb 2012, 20:40

Whoa, when did this thread claw its way out of its grave and decide to wander the earth as a soulless shell?

Anyway, I've also been trying to read House of Leaves for... six months now, but it's taking me forever because I can't read very far without getting all paranoid. :P I'm such a wuss.
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 08 Feb 2012, 07:26

Naomi Novik's "Tongue's of Serpents". Because it's the latest in her series of novels about the Napoleonic War, if there were Dragons.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 08 Feb 2012, 07:48

Geoff_B wrote:Is that before or after KOTOR?

It's set after the KotoR games, about 300 years before ToR.

I would suggest reading it. It's really not long at all, and it has some interesting information in it. Not to mention that I loved seeing Revan as a canon character (well, I'd already seen him as such before reading the book, but I just liked seeing more of it.) and getting to know more about some of the characters from the KotoR games.

Not to mention that it has the frickin' Emperor in it. That alone makes it worth reading. :o
Hurp-De-Durp!
Ringo803
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Location: Satellite of Love, Somewhere over Lexington, South Carolina

Postby Ringo803 » 08 Feb 2012, 20:41

I just started "No Country For Old Men", side note: Cormack McCarthy can be hard to read sometimes. Good stuff, though.
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war...and other things that are not war.

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 08 Feb 2012, 20:50

Got book four, The Necromancer. Then its onto book five OR I might wait til the paper back comes out in may-july so they all match
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 12 Feb 2012, 14:44

I've started reading Horus Rising. For people who know about the Warhammer 40,000 universe it's fun to see all the little asides the author put in - such as "Astartes can only be killed by Astartes" and characters talking about what they'll do when all the fighting is over.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Ahlir
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Ahlir » 13 Feb 2012, 16:43

Books I'm reading: Gauntlgrym. Neverwinter book 1 by R.A. Salvatore. Mutants. On the form, varieties & errors of the human body by Armand Marie Leroi. The secret history of Cults by Peter Haining. The Usborne Great Wildlife Search. Yes all at the same time.

Just finished The Poseidon Adventure by Paul Gallico.
* Disclaimer: The person writing this has no idea what she is talking about.*

Image ImageImage
dackwards d

Postby dackwards d » 13 Feb 2012, 17:09

Geoff_B wrote:I've started reading Horus Rising. For people who know about the Warhammer 40,000 universe it's fun to see all the little asides the author put in - such as "Astartes can only be killed by Astartes" and characters talking about what they'll do when all the fighting is over.

I've been meaning to look into the Horus Heresy books. I read one of the Night Lords ones, which was cool. They were always my favourite chapter.

Just finished reading Magician by Raymond E. Feist (excellent sword & spell fantasy), Future Cops (a sci-fi compilation of cops and crim stories), Port Out, Starboard Home by Michael Quinon (an occasionally long winded but often interesting account of the origins of many words and saying in the english language, usually accompanied by a story or two of popular false etymology) and Sniper Elite (a true war story that I only really finished because I was already halfway through).

On my immediate 'to read' list is Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (which I've mentioned before), Into The Storm by Taylor Anderson (a story of a naval Destroyer that slips into an alternate past where dinosaurians evolved instead of monkeys), and Victor Kelleher's Into The Dark which I have read many times before but picked up this weekend at a beach market for $4, telling the classic tale of Dracula from the point of view of his manservant Ox. Speaking of I have a book on the history of vampires. It's recent enough to have mention of a certain Matt-torturing series but it looks to be 10 out of 16 chapters investigating the myth and reality of Vlad the Impaler and other famous historical 'vampires.'

Oh, also I plan on reading a book that will explain to me the details of how Noah included two of every dinosaur on the ark, how Pangaea is rot and poppycock and how oops maybe it isn't because kangaroos but the bible didn't mention it so oh god I've gone cross-eyed. No insult being meant for any of the more faithful members of the board, I don't intend to mock your faith merely the authors of this preposterous work of 'non-fiction.' A preliminary read gave me the giggles and Trixy the very angries.
ImageImage
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 14 Feb 2012, 01:15

just started american gods by Neil Gaiman

so excited.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 14 Feb 2012, 03:10

dackwards d wrote:Oh, also I plan on reading a book that will explain to me the details of how Noah included two of every dinosaur on the ark, how Pangaea is rot and poppycock and how oops maybe it isn't because kangaroos but the bible didn't mention it so oh god I've gone cross-eyed. No insult being meant for any of the more faithful members of the board, I don't intend to mock your faith merely the authors of this preposterous work of 'non-fiction.' A preliminary read gave me the giggles and Trixy the very angries.

This is just a guess but presumably the reason why Pangaea, kangaroos and even dinosaurs aren't mentioned in the Bible is because those words weren't known when the Bible was written (c 1500BC - 70AD) or even translated into English (1611 for KJV)

Actually in Job you get a creature called Behemoth and the description of it is basically the description of a dinosaur. Brachiosaurus possibly.

dackwards d

Postby dackwards d » 14 Feb 2012, 09:37

Geoff_B wrote:This is just a guess but presumably the reason why Pangaea, kangaroos and even dinosaurs aren't mentioned in the Bible is because those words weren't known when the Bible was written (c 1500BC - 70AD) or even translated into English (1611 for KJV)

The authors explicitly state that there never was a supercontinent and that continental drift is a blatant lie. They then bring up the subject of how animals came to remote locations such as Australia and flail about weakening their own argument trying to explain it. That's how it seemed from the summary included at the beginning of the book anyway, though I don't intend to pass judgement until I've actually read it properly. Well further judgement anyway.
ImageImage
Allen!
Uwe Boll Fanboy

Postby Allen! » 14 Feb 2012, 10:16

I have recently begun Jim Butcher's Dresden Files.

I started with Storm Front on Saturday, and finished this morning.

So, that means I think it's good.

I'm also reading Terry Pratchett's Snuff and a book called Perdido Street Station.
PSNid: Obee1
XboxLive: LastErrand
Undefeated Lord of Donuts
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 15 Feb 2012, 08:41

dackwards d wrote:
Geoff_B wrote:This is just a guess but presumably the reason why Pangaea, kangaroos and even dinosaurs aren't mentioned in the Bible is because those words weren't known when the Bible was written (c 1500BC - 70AD) or even translated into English (1611 for KJV)

The authors explicitly state that there never was a supercontinent and that continental drift is a blatant lie. They then bring up the subject of how animals came to remote locations such as Australia and flail about weakening their own argument trying to explain it. That's how it seemed from the summary included at the beginning of the book anyway, though I don't intend to pass judgement until I've actually read it properly. Well further judgement anyway.

Oh... so it's a comedy book then?

On the Horus Heresy front I've ripped through the first three books. It's interesting to see how the characters develop and events actually take place, given this is a period you only hear snippets about in the main WH40k story.

elvor
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby elvor » 18 Feb 2012, 12:52

Perdido Street Station is so damn good! Although I couldn't seem to get into the sequel, The Scar. Will probably try again when I run out of his other books.

Which I seem to be doing at a remarkable rate. Finished Embassytown now (Amazing! Completely recommended to those who like Sci-Fi that's a bit different) and immediately bought his short story collection (Looking for Jake). Which is also great.
rustak
First Video: Man Cooking - Swiss Meat Roll

Postby rustak » 20 Feb 2012, 17:18

elvor wrote:Perdido Street Station is so damn good! Although I couldn't seem to get into the sequel, The Scar. Will probably try again when I run out of his other books.

Which I seem to be doing at a remarkable rate. Finished Embassytown now (Amazing! Completely recommended to those who like Sci-Fi that's a bit different) and immediately bought his short story collection (Looking for Jake). Which is also great.

Abso-f'ing-lutely. I love Miéville -- he has an incredible imagination, and all his books are very diverse. The City & the City is probably one of my favourites, and PSS got me hooked.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 20 Feb 2012, 17:32

I just snagged The Hunger Games, Invitation to a Beheading by Vladimir Nabokov, and Generation A by Douglas Coupland. I'll probably read them in that order.
Geoff_B

Postby Geoff_B » 21 Feb 2012, 00:23

I read the blurb for Hunger Games. It seemed to me like a kiddie version of Battle Royale

Mowinckel
First Video: Bump in the night

Postby Mowinckel » 23 Feb 2012, 06:14

I am still reading the Quran... nearly done
If I'm half-mad, then which do you think I consider my better half?
Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 23 Feb 2012, 06:46

Started reading Snow Crash.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 25 Feb 2012, 07:34

re-reading Elantris right now.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 25 Feb 2012, 18:47

I just wanted to quote from Strange and Norrell, cause I love this kind of humor

Every time Witloof entered the wardrobe there was the most hideous noise as if half the demons in Hell were screaming inside it, clouds of little silver stars issued from the cracks and hinges and the wardrobe rocked slightly upon its ball-and-claw feet. After the three questions had been answered, Buonaparte regarded the wardrobe silently for some moments, and then he strode over and pulled open the doors. Inside he found a goose (to make the noises) and some saltpetre (to produce the silver stars) and a dwarf (to ignite the saltpetre and prod the goose). No one knew for certain what had happened to Witloof and the dwarf, but the Emperor had eaten the goose for dinner the following day.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.

Return to “General Discussion”