Books you're reading now

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
River_Annarchy
First Video: Unskippable Eternal Sonata

Re: Books you're reading now

Postby River_Annarchy » 28 Feb 2012, 13:15

Im reading Shogun, 1984 and Knights of the Black and White.
Facebook page Tumblr Second facebook page Twitter

"Liches and hoes"

"My body is a temple tattoos are stained glass"
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 28 Feb 2012, 13:20

Back to On the Road.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 28 Feb 2012, 13:27

Wings of Madness: Alberto Santos-Dumont and The Invention of Flight

Fascinating stuff. The man deserves to be better known than the Wright Brothers - in fact WAS better known than the Wright Brothers in his own time, and was far away a much better man than either of them.

~Alja~
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 28 Feb 2012, 14:41

Just read the Hunger Games trilogy. Not going on my best young adult fiction ever list, but they were quite compelling (and actually rather cinematic, too) and dealt with some very interesting concepts. I agree with Stephen King's apparent quote (seen on Wikipedia) about there being some authorial laziness at work, but overall I quite liked them.

I nearly didn't read them when I saw the first one had a laudatory quote from Stephanie Meyer in the front cover, but I decided to give it a shot anyway. Meyer could sure learn a thing or two about worthwhile female characters and reasonably well handled love stories from these books.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 28 Feb 2012, 14:51

I've recently been reading Shamus Young's first novel, Free Radical, which is basically a System Shock fanfic. It's... alright. I had pretty high hopes for it considering how compelling his work usually is, but with about a hundred pages left it's been a bit slow. Still, it's from back before he started blogging, so it's not exactly surprising. I'm really looking forward to buying his newly released novel, Witch Watch, which sounds a lot more up my alley and just all around excellent.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Havok4
First Video: The first Unskippable

Postby Havok4 » 28 Feb 2012, 15:25

I just finished The way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Really good book with Sanderson usual flair for intriguing magic systems. It is also 1001 pages long and book one of a 10 part series that has not yet been made. I will be reading this series for more then the next decade.
Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 28 Feb 2012, 18:51

Jamfalcon wrote:I've recently been reading Shamus Young's first novel, Free Radical, which is basically a System Shock fanfic. It's... alright. I had pretty high hopes for it considering how compelling his work usually is, but with about a hundred pages left it's been a bit slow. Still, it's from back before he started blogging, so it's not exactly surprising. I'm really looking forward to buying his newly released novel, Witch Watch, which sounds a lot more up my alley and just all around excellent.

Really? That's a little disappointing. You're right though, he did write that a long time (and a lot of writing) ago. Hopefully it picks up by the end! I haven't read Free Radical myself yet because System Shock's not really my preferred fandom by a long shot, but I certainly plan to read the hell out of Witch Watch.
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 28 Feb 2012, 19:33

I just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (of Fanboys fame).

I wanted to save it and take it to work and read it over breaks, but with five days off, (and focusing on an MMO with server load issues - after just having gone F2P) I had enough free time to devour this book.

I don't care if it's been mentioned before, I have to step up and praise this book here and now!
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 28 Feb 2012, 22:19

Timelady wrote:
Jamfalcon wrote:I've recently been reading Shamus Young's first novel, Free Radical, which is basically a System Shock fanfic. It's... alright. I had pretty high hopes for it considering how compelling his work usually is, but with about a hundred pages left it's been a bit slow. Still, it's from back before he started blogging, so it's not exactly surprising. I'm really looking forward to buying his newly released novel, Witch Watch, which sounds a lot more up my alley and just all around excellent.

Really? That's a little disappointing. You're right though, he did write that a long time (and a lot of writing) ago. Hopefully it picks up by the end! I haven't read Free Radical myself yet because System Shock's not really my preferred fandom by a long shot, but I certainly plan to read the hell out of Witch Watch.

Cyberpunk isn't really my preferred style either, so that combined with never having played the game certainly isn't helping my enjoyment. I think it's really good considering what it is, but once it gets to the actual game part of the novel it is pretty much just alternating action scenes and dialogues explaining either how the computer works or why he needs to do the next action sequence. A book that is essentially a fanfic of a single character game that manages to be 350 pages of pretty good is still an impressive feat in my mind.

That said, I'm really looking to finishing it so I can get on to Witch Watch, because everything I've heard of it makes it sound excellent.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 03 Mar 2012, 11:38

Just picked up The Warmth of Other Suns, which is about the Great Migration. I love going book shopping a few days after the end of Black History Month... you can get some stuff at a steal.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Garfman
First Video: Failure

Postby Garfman » 04 Mar 2012, 13:36

I decided to get back into Animorphs. I stopped reading it in middle school because the books were coming out too slowly, and I would read them in about an hour. Now, with the series completed, I can get a stack of them from the library at once. I got the first 5 out yesterday, finished them this morning, so I got out the next 10.

They're short, quick, but definitely explore some neat concepts.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 04 Mar 2012, 13:42

Just finished the 6th book of the Horus Heresy and I'm left with the impression that the Imperium is a complete bunch of jerks when it comes to swooping down, invading your planet and completely messing up your culture in the name of reuniting all of humankind.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 05 Mar 2012, 04:44

Got back into Discworld. Bugger.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 05 Mar 2012, 06:05

Finished The Wavering of Haruhi Suzumiya, which was as awesome as the rest of them.
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 05 Mar 2012, 12:07

Now reading Lavinia, by Ursula K. LeGuin. Really interesting story of Lavinia, Aeneas' wife, who is given all of about 3 lines in the original poem. I never liked the Aeneid much, but this is way more interesting.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 05 Mar 2012, 12:10

LogicSword wrote:Finished The Wavering of Haruhi Suzumiya, which was as awesome as the rest of them.

Man, I really ought to re-read that series now that the new book is out. I'm just not sure how I'd handle some Haruhi's antics with Miruku.
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 05 Mar 2012, 12:45

Gap Filler wrote:Got back into Discworld. Bugger.

I'm currently re-reading through them myself...
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 05 Mar 2012, 13:13

I always think people mean Ringworld when they say Discworld.

All this new-fangled junk the kids are reading... get off my lawn!
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 05 Mar 2012, 14:08

1983 is new-fangled? You must be oooooooooooold :D
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
NotAwesomeAtAll
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby NotAwesomeAtAll » 06 Mar 2012, 15:27

Just finished reading Shadowmancer and Wormwood by G.P.Taylor. Here I thought they would be dull, being anti-occult/neopagan counterpoints to young adult fiction like Harry Potter and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and books like The His Dark Materials series.Instead I discovered Anglican ex-vicars can come up with some of the strangest fiction possible.
Example:
The angel Raphael lights some escaped convicts on fire with his(Raphael's) own blood, after saving some rich guy,he is guardian angel after all, from a homonoculus. Then this A-team of Jesus runs away( did I mention the rich guy owns what is pretty much the Necronomicon by another name) to stop a demoness from crashing a super-sized astroid into the Earth,but only after the dead begin to rise from beneath the streets of London. The demoness plans to do this by possesing the maid of the aforementioned man.
It was kind of awesome.
"It's very pissing in the wind, but the sky is on fire, and it's the best I can manage."
-David Mitchell
LogicSword

Postby LogicSword » 06 Mar 2012, 15:52

G.P Taylor's books are all awesome, still need to buy his newest...
Last edited by LogicSword on 06 Mar 2012, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
NotAwesomeAtAll

Postby NotAwesomeAtAll » 06 Mar 2012, 15:54

I forgot the parts with a bookseller who learns childrens true names ,or some such rubbish,and drowns them, forceing them to dwell in his bookstore forever.Then there is a part where a smelly,horny,demon creature has a holy hand grenade shoved up its ass by Raphael.Also,all whirpools that formed beneath the London bridge were really portals to hell.
Last edited by NotAwesomeAtAll on 06 Mar 2012, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
"It's very pissing in the wind, but the sky is on fire, and it's the best I can manage."
-David Mitchell
NotAwesomeAtAll

Postby NotAwesomeAtAll » 06 Mar 2012, 16:00

LogicSword wrote:G.P Taylor's books are awesome, still need to buy his newest...

Apologies for the the double post!
The Vampyre Labyrinth one?
I would be interested to know your thoughts on the fact that Mariah Mundi-The Midas Box is being turned into a movie by E-Motion.
-David Mitchell
LogicSword

Postby LogicSword » 06 Mar 2012, 16:20

Yeah.

And as with all book adaptations, I'm excited but sceptical. I think it's a better idea than Shadowmancer etc. as there's not as much religious stuff in it, which they'd probably take out (and subsequently half the plot). However, it could quite easily end up being like A Series of Unfortunate Events and just be a generic kids' film that misses the point of the books entirely, or just turn into a cheap Harry Potter rip off. I like to be hopeful though.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 06 Mar 2012, 16:26

I know it's kinda silly but I never got to finish reading the Unicorn Chronicles. Picked up Into the Land of the Unicorns at a second hand shop and am going to keep my eye out for the rest. Bruce Coville was the man come book report season <3 Yeah, like I said, a little silly but I am curious!
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.

Return to “General Discussion”