Books you're reading now

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
adi_pie
First Video: Fun with condoms

Re: Books you're reading now

Postby adi_pie » 11 Sep 2014, 05:08

Volafortis wrote:Well, I'm nearing the end of Infinite Jest, and it's been a rather long (but very enjoyable!) read, so I've built up quite a backlog, so I'll offer to you all, which should I read next?

- Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A. Heinlein
- Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
- Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Niel Gaiman
- Prelude to Foundation (leading into me reading the entire series, eventually) - Isaac Asimov

(No, I have not read any of the books posted above before. As you may have guessed, I kinda want to catch up on some of the classics of science fiction.)

Or, if there's anything in particular that's super highly recommended by anyone, I'm open to suggestions to add to the backlog. I'll work through it all eventually anyway :P

I would recommend either Cat's Cradle or The Ocean at the End of the Lane, they're both tragic, heartbreaking, yet, ultimately, hopeful, and uplifting books.

Out of all those, I would have to say Stranger in a Strange Land, while still an influential book that people should definitely read, is my least favourite. Then again, my opinions on Heinlein might colour my thoughts on the book somewhat.
mariomario42
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby mariomario42 » 11 Sep 2014, 06:24

In taking the bus to work, I've actually have had time to read.

Started off by reading some Tim O'Brian works (Going after Cacciato, If I Die in the Combat Zone, Nuclear Age), but have taken a break and read a few book about etymology (The Painted Word, Bloomers, Biros & Wellington Boots, A Certain "Je Ne Said Quoi", Spell Bound). I like to be versed in every subject so I can contribute to conversations, and the English language has been a weak spot of my for a while.

Nice to get back into reading :)
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 11 Sep 2014, 07:44

"What if" by Randall Monroe

yup
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
elvor
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby elvor » 11 Sep 2014, 14:02

Ptangmatik wrote:"What if" by Randall Monroe

yup

Snap
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 11 Sep 2014, 21:27

adi_pie wrote:I would recommend either Cat's Cradle or The Ocean at the End of the Lane, they're both tragic, heartbreaking, yet, ultimately, hopeful, and uplifting books.

Out of all those, I would have to say Stranger in a Strange Land, while still an influential book that people should definitely read, is my least favourite. Then again, my opinions on Heinlein might colour my thoughts on the book somewhat.

I'm leaning toward The Ocean at the End of the Lane, since it's been waiting in my collection the longest.

Heinlein is certainly a controversial figure; I've read plenty about him as an author, but it seems to me that he's a bit of somewhat that you can't unequivocally oppose. A lot of his beliefs were among the earliest signs of progressive forward thinking. To my understanding, he'd always been a strong advocate of racial equality and sexual freedom. The main issue that seems a bit sticky with him is gender equality, and again, it seems based on what I've about him as an author, is that he felt that he felt that women were equal, and tried to reflect a progressive stance on the matter, but his attempts were betrayed by writing that showed an ignorance to the true nature of the issue.

All in all though, he's certainly not the worst out there. Partially because I believe if Heinlein were alive today, where society has advanced to better articulate how Heinlein had gone wrong in his ideology of female characters (I say ideology, because he did write female characters that he portrayed as strong. He simply did so in a manner that to the modern reader still seems backwards.), I believe if he were alive today, he'd acknowledge this issue with some of his work, and use his influence to try to make it better.

Compare to, say, Orson Scott Card, who I really very strongly disagree with on his stance on homosexuality, and he seems pretty firmly planted where he stands with regards to it. I'd still recommend reading Ender's Game.

Sometimes I read to enjoy fiction, but just as often, I'll read something I know I probably won't agree with, just so I can question my own ideals, and form my own opinions. For instance, as a pretty freaking liberal person, I have every reason to believe I'll hate Atlas Shrugged, but I still feel it's a book I should probably read someday. Hell, if someone plopped a copy of Mein Kampf in front of me, I'd have to read it, just because, while I may not agree with a single word written within the book, I feel these words are still thoughts produced by a human being, and therefore worth acknowledging. If I am too afraid to be presented with a contrarian viewpoint, how can I trust myself to remain open-minded and to continually expose myself to new ideas?

I suppose it comes down to this:
Which is worse, Public Hate Speech, or Public Censorship?

I feel like censorship is always the greater of those two evils. It doesn't resolve any issues; it sweeps them under a rug to make them taboo. Hate speech, as bad as it is, at least gives us a platform upon which we may open a dialogue to allow humanity to come together to bridge these divides, and look at how far we've come! Compare the world now to the 1950's! I feel like this is largely due to the abandonment of censorship, which I feel is one of the greatest evils of the human race. There are very few things I'd consider worse than honestly believing that anyone does not have the right for their voice to be heard.

And wow, I've gotten off-topic. But yeah, I suppose those are my thoughts.
adi_pie
First Video: Fun with condoms

Postby adi_pie » 11 Sep 2014, 23:02

Ha, perhaps I should have worded my thoughts on Heinlein a bit better, though it did bring up an interesting discussion regarding censorship. One that I will not get into though, if for no other reason than I know the limits of my ability to carry on a debate through writing.

Overall, my major objections in regards to Heinlein are of a literary nature. I am simply not a huge fan of his writing style.
While I do acknowledge that his views do influence my opinions regarding his work, it is not a deciding factor.
I won't go any further because this is one rabbit hole I'm not eager to go down again ( I.e. should an author's actions outside a novel influence your perception of the it?)

Whichever book you end up going for though, I do hope you enjoy.

P.S. Isn't going off topic a proud LRR tradition? :)
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 12 Sep 2014, 06:53

I'm 3 stories short from finishing The Yellow King but I got a little bored. I'll go back to it but right now I'm with Dr. Bloodmoney by Philip K. Dick.
bar room hero

Postby bar room hero » 13 Sep 2014, 14:25

Very strange, I do read quite a bit and thought that it was high time I actually joined in this thread, and the second to last post mentions the book I'm currently reading! I picked up The Fountainhead years ago after hearing Rands philosophy influenced Bioshock and thought it was really good. Several years later I've decided to start Atlas Shrugged. Only 100 pages into it but will let you know what I think of it as and when I finish it
I do not regret the things I've done, only those I did not do
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 13 Sep 2014, 16:03

Bought Michael Moorcock's Dancers at the End of Time the other day on a reccy. Also, rereading Ballard's Atrocity Exhibition again and my old William Blakes which, for shame, I haven't touched in a very long time, nigh on ten years perhaps.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
Viking_Sleyheron
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Viking_Sleyheron » 16 Sep 2014, 06:37

After finishing with Feist I decided to go a bit less fictional next time and decided to re-read Elizabeth Pakenhams, Wellington, Years of the sword before starting on Bernard Cornwells new book on the Battle of Waterloo...

I still maintain that if you have any interest in the napoleonic wars or even just Britains rise in the 19'th century, you cant miss the Wellington book and Cornwells Waterloo history seems to be really good.
I HATE those stupid birds!

Vir prudent non contraventum mingit!
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 16 Sep 2014, 11:07

I'm reading After Dark by Murakami.
Liking it so far
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 16 Sep 2014, 19:59

King Kool wrote:I'm reading Daemon by Daniel Suarez.

Yyyep, finished it. It's boring and sucks.

Guh.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 18 Sep 2014, 09:36

There's an Agatha Christie book with an exceptionally racist title that I bought in Edinburgh because it's apparently a fantastic story, I just found it in a bag. I guess I'm reading that now I've finished what if

Oh, apparently they renamed it "And Then There Were None" at some point. I'm beginning to wish I'd bought a later edition.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 18 Sep 2014, 10:33

Just finished Coupland's Microserfs (again). I recommend it to most of you.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 18 Sep 2014, 12:48

Agreed.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Pringle
First Video: Crapshots EP175 - The Cookie

Postby Pringle » 26 Sep 2014, 05:03

I am reading "The Spice of Life" by "Jake Furie Lapin"
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 26 Sep 2014, 05:34

Finished After Dark by Murakami.
I wanna say I liked it but it was confusing. It could have been a better read but it was half assed. So, I liked it, but not as much as other novels by the same author.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 26 Sep 2014, 07:32

My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 29 Sep 2014, 06:17

On Metcarfre's recommendation, finished Microserfs this morning. It was... fine I guess? I dunno, it kinda felt like reading Questionable Content- it was a very well done slice-of-life piece (made all the more entertaining by the fact it was older than I am), but... didn't feel like it had a central reason to be in some way. Perhaps there wasn't enough individual character focus for my liking.

Neh, maybe I was just looking for a revelation I didn't find.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Viking_Sleyheron
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Viking_Sleyheron » 29 Sep 2014, 07:41

About to start Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan. Not really the biggest fan of the Song of ice and fire style "low-fantasy politcal grimdark", but the characters are compelling so after finishing Blood Song I cant just leave the series lying about:-)
I HATE those stupid birds!

Vir prudent non contraventum mingit!
Thysane

Postby Thysane » 03 Oct 2014, 00:07

Finished the behemoth that is the first Wheel of Time book, finally. I enjoyed it, to a certain extent (the weird gender-essentialist thing really rubbed me the wrong way), but I'm unsure if I'll check out the rest of the series. It's a big commitment. Might leave that decision for a bit.

So, another big fantasy book needs to be read. In this case, The Blade Itself, the first book of Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. I've read another of Abercrombie's books from the same setting, Best Served Cold, which was excellent, so I have high hopes for this one. Also it'll serve as a nice short stop-gap between bigger volumes. After all, it's ONLY like 600 pages long. That's nothing.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 03 Oct 2014, 07:45

Well, I'll just say that if you didn't like Book 1 of WoT, you probably won't like a large chunk of the series. It gets better and improves in Books 2, 3, and 4... However, books 5 through 9 go steadily downhill and the series really doesn't get good again until Book 10.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 06 Oct 2014, 11:57

Alright so I finally got around starting Dr. Bloodmoney. I'm liking it a lot. PKD always delivers.
CancerBottle
First Video: Fun with Condoms

Postby CancerBottle » 06 Oct 2014, 15:21

I started reading The Stand, my first Stephen King book. My friend loaned me the unabridged version. Over 1400 pages. I'm about halfway through. It's getting a little weird. It's all harsh realism and then suddenly Randall Flagg starts levitating....

Anyway, I'm just hoping The Stand doesn't turn out to be an instruction manual.
"Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong." - H.L. Mencken
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 07 Oct 2014, 16:19

Okay... I didn't post about it when I read it, but now I think is the time.

Apparently, The Fault in our Stars makes me physically angry when I see something about it. I had a bodily response to watching a short video about the film adaptation, because it showed a clip of something which in the book was my go-to "see, that is everything wrong with this book".

I clearly need a hobby.

Return to “General Discussion”