Books you're reading now

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Re: Books you're reading now

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 09 Jul 2010, 06:09

Finally got round to getting Last and First Men by W. Olaf Stapledon out of the library. It's a 1930's SF classic which has been name-checked by a lot of good authors, but somehow I never quite got round to reading it until now.

I also got out the final part of Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space series, Absolution Gap. Now, I'm a big fan of Reynolds' work (I loved Pushing Ice enough to start a thread about the themes it deals with), since even his less well-written books are still thought-provoking, but I have my doubts about this one. The first two books in the trilogy were mostly devoid of polarised heroes and villains - everyone was motivated by what seemed to them to be good reasons - and the story was broadly similar to the Space Odyssey series, but at a more advanced stage of society, with humanity spread out across many star systems and with the alien threat less incomprehensible. Lots to enjoy, even if the dense plotting occasionally tripped over itself. This third book, however, seems to be incorporating more fantasy tropes - in particular "one girl who has the power to save or destroy us all" - which doesn't bode well.

I may post again to comment on both these books when I've finished them.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 09 Jul 2010, 10:27

Oh man, you just reminded me I have to go dig up Pushing Ice somewhere... thanks!
It's My Delorean
First Video: commodore hustle 06
Location: The Omniverse International™ campus, The Moon Nation of Omnibus, Universe 64

Postby It's My Delorean » 09 Jul 2010, 23:57

Well, I've just finished Asimov's Caves of Steel again. I think I'll take a sci-fi break and re-read Deltora Quest. In the mean time, I will fret that I am quickly losing money to Star Trek DVD's and fight with myself on whether I should get DS9 season 2 as it's on sale at best buy, but that's for a different thread.

EDIT: why are there two book threads?
Co-Owner of Omniverse International

DmitriW wrote:
It's My Delorean wrote:..However, provided you agree with my plan for Titan as detailed above...

I'm so down with that plan.

I don't actually own a Delorean...
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 10 Jul 2010, 03:28

Someone who could neither speak English nor use the search function started a duplicate thread, so I necro'd this one to kill it. (Of course, this is also a duplicate of the original thread. . . )
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 10 Jul 2010, 08:50

There's being at least a dozen reading/book-related threads. It happens as a forum grows, and threads like this always seem to be remade more often than revived, on any forum.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 10 Jul 2010, 09:00

Hence... big sticky'd threads... or at least big ones with OFFICIAL stamped on them...
rustak
First Video: Man Cooking - Swiss Meat Roll

Postby rustak » 02 Nov 2011, 11:57

(Boy, I hope I'm not mini-necroing the wrong thread here -- I guess reading took a back seat while everyone was outside during the summer? :))

A few things I've been waiting for somehow all ended up being released in October, so I'm gooing to have quite a full reading list over the next month or two.

I just finished China Miéville's Kraken. Entertaining and quirky, just like all the rest of his books; The City and The City still remains my favourite of his, but I have to give credit to his inventiveness in Kraken, where there's a scene of torturing a pot of ink for information (torturing it with bleach, of course). I also thoroughly enjoyed Neal Stephenson's Reamde.

I'm currently re-reading Richard Morgan's The Steel Remains, largely because The Cold Commands just came out, and I can't remember the story as well as I'd like to. It also helps that he's a fantastic writer.

House of Leaves is also staring at me from the nightstand. I'm reading an actual paper version for the full effect, but that makes it hard to read while I'm transit... so I keep reading it in bursts and then leaving it alone for a few days at a time while I get into something else. I may need to dedicate a weekend to it at some point.

In the queue are also Kill the Dead and Aloha From Hell by Richard Kadrey, both sequels to Sandman Slim. (Hmm.. the queue's a bit fantasy-heavy; need to add some science fiction into the mix.)

<bookrant>
I've tried a few of the self-published books on Kindle as well... there have been one or two that have been good (Michael G. Manning's Mageborn series; Randolph Lalonde's Spinward Fringe series, with caveats), but for the most part, I just want to slap the authors. They will often have a good story, but it will be in desperate need of editing and proofreading. Someone needs to explain to them what a run-on sentence is, what proper usage of the apostrophe looks like, the difference between their and there, etc.
</bookrant>
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 02 Nov 2011, 12:03

I should probably try and finish Snowcrash so I can give it back to the library.
dackwards d
First Video: The Job

Postby dackwards d » 02 Nov 2011, 12:09

Wow, epic necro. But then, BOOKS! YAY!

I've just finished rereading World War Z and will be starting the new Matthew Reilly book (which I got signed a week or so ago). I'm reading Orwell's 1984 but it's online, and since the only time I really get to read is on the train progress has been slow. Still, enjoying it so far. And it's always good to hear someone else has read or is reading House of Leaves. It's a bloody good book, and the messed up formatting makes it a lot of fun to read even as it fucks about with your mind.
ImageImage
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 02 Nov 2011, 12:33

I am reading Machiavellis the prince and selected discourses and have yet to start The Grand Design by steven Hawking
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
rustak
First Video: Man Cooking - Swiss Meat Roll

Postby rustak » 02 Nov 2011, 12:34

dackwards d wrote:Wow, epic necro. But then, BOOKS! YAY!

Whoops, not a mini-necro, but full-on zombie revival necro; for some reason my mind ignored the year... ahem. Anyway, bring on the books :)
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 02 Nov 2011, 12:47

I am reading numerous historical monographs and articles each week.

Reading that isn't for my degree, however, has almost ground to a halt. I've been re-reading the Wheel of Time series for a while now and finally finished the ones actually written by Jordan. I'm onto The Gathering Storm, the first of the books Sanderson as written for the series, but uni has meant that i'm finding very little time for casual reading. I'm just about over half way through now, but I'm not seeing myself finishing it before the end of term.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Drdiggit42
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Drdiggit42 » 02 Nov 2011, 13:42

I'm reading The Night Eternal by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck hogan right now. Its the finale to their The Strain trilogy. Its a good vampire concept and i thoroughly enjoyed The Strain and The Fall and I'm really liking this one too. I hope it ends up becoming a movie since that is Guillermo's forte.
All problems can be solved by trebuchets and/or fire.

When you're a pessimist there are only good surprises.

Steam ID - DrDiggit42(Currently: Indignity: ■■■■■) Add me if you like.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 02 Nov 2011, 14:11

Just read the first book of the WH40K Salamanders trilogy. Pretty epic stuff.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
scruffyprophet
First Video: Boy Wonder

Postby scruffyprophet » 02 Nov 2011, 14:20

I decided to reread The Areas of My Expertise by John Hodgman in anticipation of his latest book being released this week. There's also The Rasputin File that seems to have made it's way to the top of next to read pile.
Even I think that's unrealistic to expect from the thievery of grain.
dackwards d
First Video: The Job

Postby dackwards d » 02 Nov 2011, 14:32

Oh, I almost forgot. I'm partway through "Essentials of Mechatronics," but I keep being busy and it's due back.
ImageImage
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 02 Nov 2011, 14:45

Got House of Leaves on hold at the library, but it's closed today, so I'll pick it up tomorrow.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Ringo803
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Location: Satellite of Love, Somewhere over Lexington, South Carolina

Postby Ringo803 » 02 Nov 2011, 17:19

Currently in the middle of 3 books, myself, those being Mogworld (which is swell), A Storm of Swords (which is spectacular), and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (which is suprisingly good).

I definitely recommend all three, but you don't have to take my word for it!

*cue Reading Rainbow soundbite*
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war...and other things that are not war.

Ahlir
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Ahlir » 02 Nov 2011, 17:23

I own and have read Mogworld. Yahtzee can actually write. Definitely a recommendation from me there as well.
* Disclaimer: The person writing this has no idea what she is talking about.*

Image ImageImage
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 02 Nov 2011, 18:27

John Keegan's The Second World War.
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 03 Nov 2011, 00:28

Trixy wrote:I own and have read Mogworld. Yahtzee can actually write. Definitely a recommendation from me there as well.

+1
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis
Fenrir
First Video: LRRcast for Interrupted Garage

Postby Fenrir » 03 Nov 2011, 01:00

I'm kind of in the process of trying to read two books (stupid I know) ... 'Guild Wars - The Edge of Destiny' and 'American Gods'. Reaaaaaaaally either need to make more time for reading or just get a damn Kindle....
"Sing something new, I have nothing left. I can't face the dark without you."

: Fenrir - DB IRC : LRRFenrir - TwitchTV : @the_dismuke - Twitter :

Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 03 Nov 2011, 01:06

A Game of Thrones, the first book from the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Bit sad that it's taken me this long to get round to reading it.
Hurp-De-Durp!
RAIC
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby RAIC » 03 Nov 2011, 06:42

Fenrir wrote:'Guild Wars - The Edge of Destiny'

That is a GOOD book. Ghosts of Ascalon is very good too. Those two were the last 2 books I read and that has been a while ago.
I am looking forward to when the third will be released (Sea of Sorrows).

I can recommend these books to anyone who enjoys fanstasy novels.
Even if you're not interested in Guild Wars these are a good read.
tak197 wrote:Guys! A Good Looking Ginger DUDE! We have the internet equivalent of a unicorn in our presence.
Drinnik
First Video: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/v

Postby Drinnik » 03 Nov 2011, 07:14

I'm re-reading Dragons of Summer Flame by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. I do like the Dragonlance books.
dackwards d wrote:You'd think that anyone in the sciences would at least be open to experimentation.

Return to “General Discussion”