Books you're reading now

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Re: Books you're reading now

Postby Timelady » 02 Oct 2013, 12:44

Last of the Doughboys by Richard Rubin. It's interviews with the last remaining American veterans of WWI that the author could find, interspersed with details about the war, the author's own experiences trying to find the veterans to interview, and some background information about the times. It's really interesting so far.
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 02 Oct 2013, 16:20

Well I'm trying to read Child of God, but I think I'm a little fed up with McCarthy and the "shitty 20s midwest novel" at this point.
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 11 Nov 2013, 07:28

Blazed through To Kill a Mockingbird the other day then promptly lent it to a friend. Heh, "pork." What next? Damn, that's quite a pile of Discworld amassed recently. Best get cracking.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Postby Lord Hosk » 11 Nov 2013, 10:03

Timothy Zahns New Cobra series, its just as good as the first trilogy was when I read it in high school.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
D'Arcy
First Video: Something from season 2 or 3

Postby D'Arcy » 11 Nov 2013, 12:28

Been reading Roadside Picnic, but it's been slow with a heavy schoolwork load
I write about videogames over at http://www.hbhud.com

Don’t expect great things, already know that it’s great and match it.
JayBlanc
First Video: That thing with the thing and that stuff

Postby JayBlanc » 11 Nov 2013, 12:44

"Raising Steam" is pretty good.
Aztren Skrimish
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby Aztren Skrimish » 11 Nov 2013, 13:32

I've been reading "The Long Dark Tea-Time of The Soul" by Douglas Adams. It's a good book if you can appreciate it's humor and (at times) pure sarcasm.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 25 Nov 2013, 00:15

I need help finding a book. Well, the title and/or author of a specific series. I am hoping the well read members of this forum can help me. I also hope my memory of the books is fairly accurate as I haven't seen/read these books in at least 10 years. It was 2002 ish? and I was in Nova Scotia when I read them. Here goes.

The basic story:
A group of what I assumed to be teenagers took a camping trip in a very isolated location in a canyon/valley of some sort. They had to climb down a rock formation they called the devil's staircase, or the steps into hell. Something along those lines (I remember the name Hell, as it made me giggle, I was 12). They were camping for a week or two, when they came out, their city/town/country was under attack by an un-named military force. The teens had no idea what happened to their families, and decided to engage in guerilla warfare using their campsite as a base of operations due to its remote location.

Everything else I remember is very specific to one of the books, but I have no idea which one. I also thought one of the books was called "Back into Hell" (It was one of the few ways I could get away with saying Hell at the time, so that part of the title got ingrained into my brain), but I can't seem to find any mention of the books at all. If anyone knows what books I'm talking about, please let me know who the author is, or what they're actually called. I would really appreciate that.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 25 Nov 2013, 00:22

It's the Tomorrow, When The War Began series by John Marsden, about the invasion of Australia, I'm very nearly sure of it. If it's not, it's uncannily similar.

The seven books in the series are:

Tomorrow, When The War Began
The Dead of the Night
The Third Day, The Frost (published in the US as A Killing Frost)
Darkness, Be My Friend
Burning For Revenge
The Night Is For Hunting
The Other Side of Dawn

A group of teenagers go camping in "Hell", over Commemmoration Day long weekend, and return to find that their town (and, they gradually realize, the country) has been invaded. The series was very mature in many ways, it was my first exposure to sex in a book, and there was some significant wartime violence, and it was aimed at 15/16 year olds.

I really kind of hope it is them (and as I said, I was certain very quickly it was; they're very similar if not). I read them when I was in early high school in the early 2000s and have reread them more recently. Still my favourite series in that demographic.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 25 Nov 2013, 00:37

Yes! That's it! I looked at the wiki on the books. I guess I got the titles wrong. Oh well, 10 years changes the memory. Thank you so much! Seriously, I've been trying to learn the titles, off and on, for at least 5 years now.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Mara Kalat
First Video: I wish I remembered... (but am not bot!)

Postby Mara Kalat » 25 Nov 2013, 01:14

Wow, that's a super quick reply. I was hoping to stretch my Google-Fu on that one :P

I've finished the last of my Birthday books (Son of a Witch was the last one, and good but not great) so now I'm rereading the Hitchhiker's 'Trilogy' so bridge the gap until Christmas / regional equivalent.

Mara.

What if Alan Turing came up with the test because he was actually a robot and wanted people to find out?
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 25 Nov 2013, 01:17

As soon as I saw MinniChi's description, I was convinced I knew it. I know those books damn near backwards, though.
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 25 Nov 2013, 08:10

I had a get together here the other night, and a few people spent the night. Some got bored the following morning and pulled a few books to read as I made breakfast and now, instead of simply reshelving the damn things, I'm rereading them all from start to finish. Dang it, I still hadn't finished the book I already had... I can't get through all of What God Hath Wrot to pick it back up!
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 25 Nov 2013, 08:43

I'm curious, when was the last time you (anyone) read a classic?
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 25 Nov 2013, 08:59

I read Brave New World at the start of the year, which I think is old enough to qualify. The plot itself didn't thrill me, but I loved the way it was written.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 25 Nov 2013, 09:02

I am not sure what you define as a classic but is in the middle of reading Bram Stokers Dracula
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Bebop Man

Postby Bebop Man » 25 Nov 2013, 09:19

That would be one yes.
I know what defines a classic is debatable and doesn't necessarily mean it's aged well to begin with, but let's go on a limb and treat the concept as "relatively correct".
plummeting_sloth
First Video: three PS3s

Postby plummeting_sloth » 25 Nov 2013, 09:29

I used to get drunk at the dollar a pint night at the bar by the Barnes and Noble and then go over and use the money I saved to by something from their Classics line. So I read Emma, A Tale of Two Cities, and most recently the Brothers Karamazov.
He habitually wears an expression as if he had determined to drive his head through a brick wall, and was about to do it (Description of U.S. Grant)
Elomin Sha wrote:I love the smell of napalm'd sloths in the morning.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Nov 2013, 14:55

Probably Catch-22, a few years ago. Since then most of my reading has been modern sci-fi and fantasy.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 25 Nov 2013, 15:12

I READ NOTHING ANY MORE

Seriously, I don't have the time. Be prepared for a bitch over in the Venting thread at some point during the next week.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 25 Nov 2013, 21:57

I'm reading The Raw Shark Texts and

I........am having

problems

.........................conceptualizing

now
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 26 Nov 2013, 06:11

I since getting my Kindle a couple years ago I have read A Tale of Two Cities and Oliver Twist. I have tried reading Crime and Punishment a few times but I have never gotten through it.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Drecon
First Video: Ransom

Postby Drecon » 26 Nov 2013, 13:19

I'm currently reading the Belgarion series. Just started in book five "End game".
It's actually a pretty good series that has taught me a lot about how to write a good story.
"if it ain't shiny, rub it on your hiney"
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 26 Nov 2013, 14:35

Oh man, I love the Belgariad. I need to get the ones I'm missing.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

ocelotteranian
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby ocelotteranian » 26 Nov 2013, 16:59

Bebop Man wrote:I'm curious, when was the last time you (anyone) read a classic?

Being a medieval history major, the most recent classic I was required to read was Abelard and Heloise, but I believe Dante's Inferno (if not the whole Comedy) is coming up. But on my own, over the summer I FINALLY got around to The Once and Future King.

Return to “General Discussion”