Books you're reading now

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
CGwonder
First Video: Man Cooking

Re: Books you're reading now

Postby CGwonder » 30 Jun 2015, 13:30

I really want to read The Martian, I've heard some amazing things about it recently, but I've already got a backlog the length of my arm to get through. Right now I'm reading Metro 2033 and I'm finding the difference in the structure and pace to what I'm used to really interesting. Not sure if it's the author's own style or because it's been translated from Russian but I really like the fluidity of the story, how it feels like Artyom is just a part of a much bigger machine even though he's the 'hero'. I also have absolutely no idea where this story will end so that's pretty exciting.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 30 Jun 2015, 13:48

Metro 2033 is pretty interesting. If you want to read some more recent Russian Scifi, try Roadside Picnic. If you're interested in older stuff, try Red Star or Aelita.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 30 Jun 2015, 14:13

Tried to start reading 'Farenheit 451', found it a little bleak for my present temprament, started reading 'Roughing it' instead, its an account of Mark Twain's time as a vagabond, and it's quite fun.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 30 Jun 2015, 14:38

Yeah, Fahrenheit 451 is one of my least favourite of Bradbury's actually. Roughing It is great, though!

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Prospero101
First Video: Feed Dump: Soldiers of Fortune

Postby Prospero101 » 30 Jun 2015, 14:43

Fahrenheit 451 is classic, and has a lot to say on the subject of censorship, paranoia, and loss. Having shed fat, massive tracts of it don't make any sense on the first read. Or the third.

Most of my recreational reading is comics these days. There's some great stuff going on in the indie comics scene. My personal favorite right now is Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips' The Fade Out, a drama about Hollywood in the late 1940s.
It's all over but the crying. And the taxes.

"Perfectionism might look good in his shiny shoes, but he's kind of an asshole and no one invites him to their pool parties."
CGwonder
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby CGwonder » 30 Jun 2015, 15:07

Thanks Fayili, I shall have to check those out! On the subject of comics, I'm absolutely in love with a web comic called Lackadaisy which is about anthropomorphic cats running a speakeasy in the 1920s. The art is stunning.

I'm also reading An Astronaut's Guide To Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield. I bought on sale and I'm finding it very interesting. It's a wonderful insight into space stuff and he's got some great advice to give about how to approach your goals/expectations in life.
OccamsRazor
First Video: That was a very, very long time ago...

Postby OccamsRazor » 30 Jun 2015, 16:48

An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth was one of my favourite books I've read recently. Chris Hadfield is a remarkable person. Decided he wanted to be an astronaut at 9 years old even though, because he is Canadian, it was quite literally impossible. But he just went forward with that in mind anyway.

I'd highly recommend people pick up a copy of you have a chance.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 02 Jul 2015, 18:16

I'm reading Shusaku Endo's "Silence". It's a historical novel. I don't know how good the book is, I think I'm personally invested because I happen to fancy the time period/setting, the aftermath of the Shimabara Rebellion in early 17th century Japan.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 02 Jul 2015, 19:48

I tried to read Shadows of the Empire after finding it cheap at a game store. A few pages were missing, but nothing that seemingly affects the plot. The new character is this incredibly power and wealthy crimelord, and the story moves between his machinations and Luke and Leia pursuing the frozen Han Solo.

I say "tried" to read it because... for the first time in a while with any book, I just stopped reading it. It's such a goddamn bore. Nothing freaking HAPPENS in it.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 04 Jul 2015, 05:47

Far enough into William Gibson's Pattern Recognition that having hard time figuring whether not it's spec fic. Feels so damn real jumping like reality to like reality unless noted to scifi and back at such a clip.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
RedHelveticaCake
First Video: Feed Dump 146
Location: Toronto, floating 4' off the ground, next to a sink

Postby RedHelveticaCake » 07 Jul 2015, 08:54

i've been reading Nnedi Okorafor's Who Fears Death, but it's super intense and I've had to take breaks of several days every time I read a couple chapters.
You can lead an idiot to knowledge, but you can't make them think.
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 18 Jul 2015, 20:03

So I'm quite far into Wise Man's Fear. It's very absorbing, and I'm enjoying reading it. But. I suppose I have the trouble with it that I have with many stories now. Heroes are great things to read about, but they are not always kind and they are not always thoughtful, and they damage the people around them. And yet people still place being a hero as the height of achievement, and devalue being kind and working to make the world a kinder place.

It's not a big thing, but it's a tiring thing, I suppose.

betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 19 Jul 2015, 19:41

I just picked up Gaiman's new short story collection Trigger Warning from the library yesterday. I started it, but before I read the stories I always read the introduction, and he talks about why he named the collection Trigger Warning. He explains what a trigger warning is, how they're used on the internet, and then goes into a thing about them being used on other media in college courses (such as novels and films). While he said he appreciated their use on the internet, it feels like he said if you're an adult reading adult fiction, suck it up and deal. Which just doesn't sit right with me.

The stories themselves are so far pretty good, but I can't extract the author's opinions out of a piece of work or appreciate media in spite of an author's viewpoints, so I've found myself not quite enjoying it as much as I'd hoped. We'll see if there's a good standout piece in the collection, though. I still think short stories are his best medium.
-betsy
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 20 Jul 2015, 00:15

I finished Anthony Trollope's The Warden as well as his Barchester Towers, the first and second books in the Chronicles of Barsetshire.

Set in fictitious English county of Barsetshire in mid nineteenth century, the books describe the petty squabbles of the clergy and gentry. I found the two books to be quite delightful.

I have just started the third book in the series, Doctor Thorne.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
RoboNixon
First Video: Skeletor's Dick

Postby RoboNixon » 21 Jul 2015, 16:16

Just finished "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. It's flawed, with a lot of exposition in the first 5 chapters. Once it gets going though, it's full of 80's nostalgia, near future tech, and interesting characters. I burned through the last 150 pages in a day. Back to book 4 of the Dresden Files :)

P.S. Anyone else always buy 2 books, read 1, then buy 2 more and repeat until you have a backlog?
Learning without thought is labor lost - Confucius
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 21 Jul 2015, 20:24

I have a backlog of like 30 books right now, and am probably not going to stop getting new ones ever, so it'll only keep growing.

Currently reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 21 Jul 2015, 22:05

I've got 78 books I've yet to read, and a list of books I've yet to buy.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

RoboNixon

Postby RoboNixon » 22 Jul 2015, 06:08

Volafortis wrote:Currently reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

This sounds interesting. I'm not sure I've ever read a modern book translated from another language either. Have to add it to the list.
Volafortis
First Video: I am a spam bot.

Postby Volafortis » 22 Jul 2015, 08:34

I just started it, so I can't say much about it, but I've enjoyed what I've read so far.
RoboNixon

Postby RoboNixon » 23 Jul 2015, 06:11

Volafortis wrote:I just started it, so I can't say much about it, but I've enjoyed what I've read so far.

Fingers crossed :) Just ordered it and The Martian. I always end up buying 2 at a time :P
BeatrixPlotter
First Video: Spring

Postby BeatrixPlotter » 23 Jul 2015, 12:00

I've been re reading the Watch novels from the Discworld series. Currently on The Fifth Elephant. Vimes is probably my favourite Discworld character.
Ennui On Me
First Video: The first on the Escapist.

Postby Ennui On Me » 24 Jul 2015, 18:34

I'm reading Frankenstein, for school. I tried reading it before and quit about 50-ish pages in. The prose is gorgeous, which is enough to keep me going, and it is kind of a necessary book to read, but its whole "science can go too far, ignorance is bliss" message is totally disgusting to me.

And the movie lied to me. I was told the monster would sing Puttin' on the Ritz.
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 24 Jul 2015, 23:43

That's not really the message at all, though. Yes, the undirected scientific mind can create some horrors. But Frankenstein's real villainy is callousness. He abandoned his creation, and then repeatedly falls back on his word later on. Others are also cold to the creature, which contribute to his own cruel behavior.

There's also weird themes about masculinity and motherhood and junk, but I'll let you get to those yourself if you want to.

Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 26 Jul 2015, 14:53

From memory, impression I got was Frankenstein being a bit of a flake (and being unthinking about it) and the monster turning out a schlub because of that. My take there was something of the working stiff about the monster, which ties in with Fayili's take.

Meanwhile, I've been rereading Jane Eyre. Mostly because of having just finished Wide Sargasso Sea. Phun Phact, spent a good couple of hours midweek reading it in the park (wearing my Hark a Vagrant Bronte Garden Party shirt no less) for Fayili's most recent quest.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
Ennui On Me
First Video: The first on the Escapist.

Postby Ennui On Me » 26 Jul 2015, 17:54

Yeah, I understand all that, but Frankenstein did blatantly say that the overly ambitious goals of the obsolete physicists he studied were part of his path of destruction. I guess I'll just consider him an unreliable narrator.

Return to “General Discussion”