LrrMobile Mk. II

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Agloriouscuppa
First Video: Unskippable

Re: LrrMobile Mk. II

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 21 May 2010, 07:09

Whitmore wrote:Apparently I suck.

not suck, just missing out on what makes motoring so enjoyable, you can feel the cars power when you drive a manual gear box as cliché as that sounds
It doesnt help does it?

Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter
Whitmore
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Whitmore » 21 May 2010, 07:13

Driving fast. Not fun.
Skillfully controlling your vehicle's performance and handling on the road. Not really that fun (to me)
Cranking the Prog Rock and Prog Metal on a scenic drive. Now that's the great part of driving.
The answer to everything is always tubes.
TheRocketSiobhan wrote:You:"He's the kind that completes me.. he is a best friend for life... that's what kind he is"
Hottie:"OMFG UR SEW IN TOUCH WITH FEELINGS. I WANT UR PENIS IN ME NOW"
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 21 May 2010, 07:14

Disagree.
operagirl95
First Video: n

Postby operagirl95 » 21 May 2010, 07:17

metcarfre wrote:Disagree.
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 21 May 2010, 07:18

Listening to music was definitely a great joy of driving to me. Even though people could see in I felt like I could belt out whatever was playing like a buffoon and didn't care.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Whitmore

Postby Whitmore » 21 May 2010, 07:19

aeric90 wrote:Listening to music was definitely a great joy of driving to me. Even though people could see in I felt like I could belt out whatever was playing like a buffoon and didn't care.
Cranking Jazz Fusion in the city. Oh so many lols.
TheRocketSiobhan wrote:You:"He's the kind that completes me.. he is a best friend for life... that's what kind he is"
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 21 May 2010, 07:50

yeah, having driven both auto and manual, I'd never go back to automatic given the choice. Manual's tricky to learn, and it takes you longer to get comfortable driving new cars, but once you have the clutch and acceleration curve of the vehicle figured out, there's no comparison between the two.

Manual is more fun, puts you much more in tune with the car and the road, and makes driving much more active and interesting.

And you can still rock out while doing it.

(which I did at length, yesterday)

(they gave me a free upgrade to a 10" sub, rather than an 8").

-m

I am not angry at you.
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 21 May 2010, 07:55

Dutch guy wrote:
Kirkygirl wrote:I suppose it would be bad for me to mention here that I prefer VW's. Nice cars those, and they are one of the only cars in Canada that has a manual diesel for sale in Canada. There are far too many manufacturers that will only have automatics.

-Kirkygirl

I don't understand why anybody would ever want to drive an automatic. I really hate them

Automatics are preferred for off-roaders
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 21 May 2010, 08:00

Can you do a real 4-wheel low in auto? I didn't know that.

Also, manual transmissions are generally; a) $1500 or so cheaper than automatics on a new car (which unfortunately means they are often not bundled in higher-end packages), b) more fuel-efficient, especially if you hyper-mile.
Sable
The Master Chef

Postby Sable » 21 May 2010, 08:04

I like both.

If I'm driving a big truck or a van, I like having an automatic, it makes handling an already-unwieldy vehicle a bit easier.

In my BMW, I cannot live without the manual. It is my favourite thing ever.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 21 May 2010, 08:05

metcarfre wrote:Can you do a real 4-wheel low in auto? I didn't know that.

Also, manual transmissions are generally; a) $1500 or so cheaper than automatics on a new car (which unfortunately means they are often not bundled in higher-end packages), b) more fuel-efficient, especially if you hyper-mile.

I actually meant to mention both those things in my post, but forgot.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 21 May 2010, 08:11

Dude, look into hyper-miling. It works great on the Island Highway. Well, except for effin' Duncan, of course.
Agloriouscuppa
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 21 May 2010, 08:16

Matt wrote:yeah, having driven both auto and manual, I'd never go back to automatic given the choice. Manual's tricky to learn, and it takes you longer to get comfortable driving new cars, but once you have the clutch and acceleration curve of the vehicle figured out, there's no comparison between the two.

Manual is more fun, puts you much more in tune with the car and the road, and makes driving much more active and interesting.

-m

Thats what I was trying to say Matt, I find when I drive if I'm in a manual gearbox car that I'm also paying a bit more attention to the road as I have to be more conscious of, is the car ahead of me far enough ahead that I can switch to a higher gear or do I need to be down shifting to prepare to stop?
It doesnt help does it?

Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 21 May 2010, 09:04

Rikadyn wrote:
Dutch guy wrote:
Kirkygirl wrote:I suppose it would be bad for me to mention here that I prefer VW's. Nice cars those, and they are one of the only cars in Canada that has a manual diesel for sale in Canada. There are far too many manufacturers that will only have automatics.

-Kirkygirl

I don't understand why anybody would ever want to drive an automatic. I really hate them

Automatics are preferred for off-roaders

I find that odd to say the least. Even though an automatic delivers more torque at slow speeds (Due to modern Hydrolic Converters) But it makes it impossible to properly brake on the engine. My brother owns a 1966 Landrover Series 2A and it would be impossible to do the things that vehicle does with an automatic gearbox.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Whitmore

Postby Whitmore » 21 May 2010, 14:07

I really must get behind the wheel of a manual one day, for you guys at least.

As it stands. I don't generally find driving fun. I have a sneaking suspicion that it has something to do with my nervous wreck of a supervisor.

"10 clicks below the speed limit at all times, Andrew."
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 21 May 2010, 14:45

metcarfre wrote:Dude, look into hyper-miling. It works great on the Island Highway. Well, except for effin' Duncan, of course.

How much money can you save?

I never really worry about mileage, or finding low gas prices. It isn't worth the hassle. Given the opportunity, I'll drive a more fuel-efficient vehicle on long trips, but it isn't my first consideration.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Sable
The Master Chef

Postby Sable » 21 May 2010, 14:50

From what I can read, "hyper-miling" is exactly the same as "driving responsibly."

I regularly get 30mpg or more out of my 250-horsepower two-ton rear-wheel-drive sport sedan. I guess I'm awesome? I mean, I could push my eyeballs through the back of my head at every light, but I only do that now and then.
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 22 May 2010, 03:44

Whitmore wrote:I really must get behind the wheel of a manual one day, for you guys at least.

As it stands. I don't generally find driving fun. I have a sneaking suspicion that it has something to do with my nervous wreck of a supervisor.

"10 clicks below the speed limit at all times, Andrew."

Tell him he is actually making it MORE dangerous by driving below the speed limit. (If people have to slow down for you it could cause traffic to back up and cause jams. It also annoys people, and annoyed people drive less responsibly)

Driving too fast during a driving test here in the Netherlands is ofcourse not a good thing, but consistently driving too slow is also guaranteed to get you a failure.
Whitmore

Postby Whitmore » 22 May 2010, 06:35

She :P
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 22 May 2010, 06:58

Ahh, that explains it. Female drivers |:-/
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 22 May 2010, 11:49

Sable wrote:From what I can read, "hyper-miling" is exactly the same as "driving responsibly."

I regularly get 30mpg or more out of my 250-horsepower two-ton rear-wheel-drive sport sedan. I guess I'm awesome? I mean, I could push my eyeballs through the back of my head at every light, but I only do that now and then.

that or the car is geared for it :p

Hyper-miling goes quite a bit beyond driving responsibly.
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...

Return to “General Discussion”