Getting to know you

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Runemist34
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Getting to know you

Postby Runemist34 » 28 May 2010, 16:53

Hey guys,
So, I didn't really see any topics that might house this question...so I made one!
I was wondering, for the LRR cast, what's it like making so many videos, having so many fans around the world, and possibly feeling like all these people know you, but you know nothing about them? I was thinking about that the other day, and I figured, you know...if I did actually get to meet one of you, I'd be completely shy (not that shyness is new for me) and wouldn't know what to say! But, really, you're all around my own age, and you're all normal people. It's just that...I would think it would be awkward, if I said something like "Hey, Kathleen, I saw you last in Phailhaus 30! How's your cat?" :roll:
And, for the rest of us on here on the forum who aren't "staff," what do you think of this? Would you be awkward meeting one of the LRR crew? How about Yahtzee, from Zero Punctuation (if you watch it, anyways!)? Do you put your own videos up, and find that this happens often?
Nature and wisdom never are at strife. - Plutarch
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: Getting to know you

Postby tak197 » 28 May 2010, 21:43

From what I understand, the crew would rather have a fan come up to them and say hello than write on the forums "I saw you at X today, but I was too nervous to say hi." Also, as I believe Kathleen has said before, "you aren't fans, you're just friends we haven't met yet."

It is a bit better to meet them at cons and stuff, but if you pass them on the street randomly, just say hi.
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Postby Zombaholic » 28 May 2010, 21:58

My Plan to meet them one day is when they do something live is to deliver pizza to the moonbase (Once I find it), act awkwardly when one of them answers the door, point to pizza, give something unintelligible then pass out. Most likely they'll take the pizza and have a good time.

First contact has been made
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 28 May 2010, 22:36

First, welcome to the forums. I hope you find this a pleasant & friendly community. We have lots of good times & the LRR crew moderates so you're likely to interact with them through here at one time or another.

And second, most of your questions can be answered in the podcasts archived on the site. They talk about the week's video but in the earlier episodes also give a lot of background on the website & brushes with local fame & such. One of the things that brings the community together is the fact that LRR interacts with their fans quite a bit in a number of ways. Hopefully one of them will see this thread & post to agree with me. ;)

I wouldn't be nervous to meet any of them. I've been watching videos, listening to podcasts & reading their posts long enough to write their biographies so I already feel like they're friends. I'd welcome any of them as guests in my home without a second thought. In fact, I almost did meet them last November. I was going to fly out & help out with Desert Bus for Hope but the week my flight was to leave I came down with the flu. First time in years! So I was grounded & had to watch the festivities from afar. Someday, tho'. Some day I will be able to give them their long overdue high-fives.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 29 May 2010, 00:00

I've met the crew twice, and they're very approachable. Though paul has seemed kind of nervous when first I said hi. But I was dressed up for anime evolution at the time. That could be part of the reason.

Looking forward to saying hello again at this years AE as well.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 29 May 2010, 01:48

Apart from Bill's hight there is nothing intimidating about the crew. They are good people and you should not feel apprehensive about meeting them.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 29 May 2010, 01:52

Just don't follow them around. That could be creepy.

Unless it's Matt. I have it on good authority* that he loves when people follow him around and whisper in his ear.

*I consider myself a reliable source.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Danzama
First Video: Wireless

Postby Danzama » 29 May 2010, 02:51

I would feel a bit nervous meeting any or all of the crew, I get nervous when my name is mentioned on ItM.

Meeting just one crew member rather than the entire crew would be less intimidating, but still kinda scary.

EDIT: woot 50th post
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 29 May 2010, 03:08

Speaking for myself, I'm so thrilled, and feel so lucky, that we have the dedicated following of downright awesome people that we do.

I strive every day to be worthy of it.

And I'm always happy and pleased to meet someone new. I did just tonight, in fact. It was neat!
Whitmore

Postby Whitmore » 29 May 2010, 04:43

Grayham, I love you.

Have my babies.

No homo.
The answer to everything is always tubes.
TheRocketSiobhan wrote:You:"He's the kind that completes me.. he is a best friend for life... that's what kind he is"
Hottie:"OMFG UR SEW IN TOUCH WITH FEELINGS. I WANT UR PENIS IN ME NOW"
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 29 May 2010, 05:16

Lorithad wrote:I've met the crew twice, and they're very approachable. Though paul has seemed kind of nervous when first I said hi. But I was dressed up for anime evolution at the time. That could be part of the reason.

Who were you dressed as?
Elaro
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Elaro » 29 May 2010, 05:17

I think he's taken.

Also, I would like to travel to Victoria to meet the crew in person... on foot. Across Canada. From Montreal. Like Terry Fox, but for comedy.

I would also love for them to meet the Chick'n Swell. They're a French-Canadian sketch comedy group (from VICTO!!!-riaville...) with a very similar subject range to LRR, but more light-hearted and silly. And more lol-ier. But that's probably because they're in their thirties and have developed their art for a long time. For example, one of their sketches revolves around a couple who met on the Internet, but don't feel comfortable talking to each other, so they communicate via keyboard for everything; their vows, their bedroom talk, etc. They've got references to previous sketches, parodies of old pop culture, some metahumor in the intersketch sequences... They're a lot like a french, better-made LoadingReadyRun. Oh, and they were hugely successful on Radio-Canada (French CBC) and are doing live shows now.Which is why I thought getting LRR on national public television would be a great idea. Hmmm...

What were we talking about?
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 29 May 2010, 05:34

so you just said: hey guys, i know a some people who are better, funnier and more successful that you who do the same thing that you do, isn't that neat?

it's a good thing the LRR crew are nice people. a not nice person like me could take that the wrong way - i'm sure it was not meant to be taken like that, I'm just trolling ya ;)

Anyway. I would shit myself if i were to meet the crew. After I'd cleaned myself up i would probably be very apologetic and then they'd probably be really nice because they're totally awesome people. I would very much like to meet the crew one day (without the underwear crapping obviously), but i expect it'll be a few years until i make it over to BC, although i do want to go some day.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Elaro
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Elaro » 29 May 2010, 06:02

Well, I was just explaining why I want these two groups to meet. The resulting intelligent, cultured humor would result in something that could very well spell world peace. If they overcome the language barrier, that is.

MEANWHILE! Yes, I would really like to meet the crew. Unfortunately, I live on the other side of the continent from them. I know you live even farther, iamafish, but at least you are closer to Brad. Oh well. I will have to contend myself with making stuff for the craft-along.
frozen_flame
First Video: Unskippable: Grandia III

Postby frozen_flame » 29 May 2010, 07:23

Meeting anyone famous gives me the shakes - it took me two tries to meet Steve Davis [famous snooker player] when I saw him at a local second hand book store, and I couldn't approach Alestorm [Scottish Pirate Metal] at all. If I get the chance then it would be awesome. But alas, Canada and any conventions in America are out of my reach for now.

If I did meet them, then after the initial shock it'd be OK. Also there'd be a high chance I would have Baileys in the system beforehand..
"The French looked at the dining table, and saw an opportunity to have dinner. We looked at the dining table, and saw an opportunity to play Wiff-Waff." - Boris Johnson on Ping-Pong
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 29 May 2010, 08:10

The Crew actually came up to me and said hi - I didn't even know they were in the room at the time. They also got me a great place to get pictures of the PAX 2008 concerts, which was cool.

Also, every last one of them is a goddamn giant, don't let anyone tell you differently. I have to actually jump to see through the viewfinder of my camera when it's on the most-extended end of my tripod, and Graham was all just "no big deal yo."
Runemist34

Postby Runemist34 » 29 May 2010, 08:18

I suppose I should have expected the reaction of "Don't be nervous!"
Not to sound stalker-esque, I did see Morgan when I was in Victoria last. I was like "I KNOW THAT GUY!" but, unfortunately, then had to explain what an "LRR" was to my mom. I was also in the car at the time, so I couldn't get out and say hi.
Though I just thought...well, he (and most of the guys, I suppose) wouldn't mind having some busty brunette telling them she's a fan, eh?
Graham, you're so nice :)

Also, Frozen_flame...you saw Alestorm? That's so cool! I wouldn't be able to approach them, either, if I got the chance.
Nature and wisdom never are at strife. - Plutarch
frozen_flame
First Video: Unskippable: Grandia III

Postby frozen_flame » 29 May 2010, 08:52

It's the best concert I've been to in a long while, pirate metal is bloody awesome. They're playing in Sheffield again in October as support to some other band, maybe then I'll be more vocal.
"The French looked at the dining table, and saw an opportunity to have dinner. We looked at the dining table, and saw an opportunity to play Wiff-Waff." - Boris Johnson on Ping-Pong
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 29 May 2010, 10:14

Runemist34 wrote:Though I just thought...well, he (and most of the guys, I suppose) wouldn't mind having some busty brunette telling them she's a fan, eh?
Graham, you're so nice :)

Busty brunettes are allways cool, whatever they're doing.
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 29 May 2010, 10:21

People who do cool stuff are still just people. My personal feeling on meeting people you admire is that getting nervous and tongue-tied is an unfortunate waste of meeting them, b/c then you miss the chance to chat w/ someone you presumably think has interesting things to say, and demonstrate that you also are a neat person with interesting things to say.

To me, being recognized by LRR fans means an opportunity to have interesting conversations with cool people. And yes, it does make me feel very special, which I don't always feel I've earned, but it is always amazing to hear that people like stuff you do.

I gotta say though, before Jeremy and I were actually dating we went to a play at UVic together, and one of the ushers recognized him after the show (this was about 5 years ago, when LRR crew being recognized for being LRR crew was really rare). For whatever reason, I found this utterly hilarious and had to leave the room to crack up while he talked to her.

Most random place I've been recognized as a LRR participant? An evening lessons & carols Advent service at my church. That was also pretty funny.
Emberwolf
First Video: The Mirror

Postby Emberwolf » 29 May 2010, 11:55

I've been lucky enough to meet quite a few people I admire (sci-fi/collectors conventions are great for that) and I've always been nervous- right up until the person I met said or did something that made me feel TOTALLY at ease. The Red Dwarf cast were the best for that, ended up having quite a long chat with them.

Though if I do ever meet any of the LRR crew, I will be immediately dwarfed. I'm 5'3, so most of my mom's 16-year-old students are taller than me.
If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun....
Katharine Hepburn
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 29 May 2010, 12:01

Emberwolf wrote:Though if I do ever meet any of the LRR crew, I will be immediately dwarfed. I'm 5'3, so most of my mom's 16-year-old students are taller than me.

I'm 5'3" too. If you ever get to be somewhere at the same time as LRR, let's hang out. Tall people are overrated. :)
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 29 May 2010, 12:15

Tally wrote:
Emberwolf wrote:Though if I do ever meet any of the LRR crew, I will be immediately dwarfed. I'm 5'3, so most of my mom's 16-year-old students are taller than me.

I'm 5'3" too. If you ever get to be somewhere at the same time as LRR, let's hang out. Tall people are overrated. :)

since Lying's in london for the weekend, i feel i can safely say "ha! haa... yeah, height isn't much of an issue...
and then post this picture.
Muahaha
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
Emberwolf
First Video: The Mirror

Postby Emberwolf » 29 May 2010, 12:15

Tally wrote:

Agreed! Except when you need them to get things off high shelves... And to be honest, you never appear to be that much smaller than the rest... oh the magic of visual media.
If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun....
Katharine Hepburn
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 29 May 2010, 12:17

ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:
Lorithad wrote:I've met the crew twice, and they're very approachable. Though paul has seemed kind of nervous when first I said hi. But I was dressed up for anime evolution at the time. That could be part of the reason.

Who were you dressed as?

I was dressed up as Himura Kenshin from Rouroni Kenshin.

I'll also admit that I was stunned at how tall Bill was. But after I got over it, I talked to him for a while. Really nice guy.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.

Return to “General Discussion”