So is Micahel Bay like the Uwe Boll of movies or something?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: So is Micahel Bay like the Uwe Boll of movies or something?

Postby empath » 02 Jun 2010, 04:47

Well, the 'fantasy' is that the customers expect these hacks who steal from a misogynist Mormon actually have some writing ability.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 02 Jun 2010, 13:33

Keab42 wrote:
Smeghead wrote:Nah, the woman who wrote the Twighlight books for forever ruiening the vampire genre

It's ruined my local bookshop. They've cut the science fiction/fantasy section down to make room for the authors trying to rip her off. They've rather amusingly called it Dark Fantasy.

I fucking hate that! Most major bookshops are okay - they've kept room for the good stuff as well as the mounds of dark fantasy - but when I was trying to find extra reading on my travels in South Africa I couldn't always get to a big bookshop, and most of the places I went to had entirely replaced their Science Fiction & Fantasy section with Twilight rip-offs.

I wanted to read some Orson Scott Card, or maybe some Iain M. Banks (and fortunately I did get to read books by both authors in the end), but nooooooo, I obviously really wanted, in my heart of hearts, to read badly written novels with "dark", "midnight" and/or "sparkly douchebags" in the title.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 02 Jun 2010, 13:38

To be fair, not all dark fantasy is terrible.

I read this one on a whim.

It was better than some of RA Salvatore's works, but nothing great.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 02 Jun 2010, 13:49

I was happy enough recently when I saw {the movie that must not be named but which has a name close to Sunset} posted in the Horror section of a DVD area.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 02 Jun 2010, 14:34

In my library the dread books are categorised as Teen, but the ripoffs they can't seem to decide if they're romance or horror. Either way fans of both categories get a shock when they try to read it.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 02 Jun 2010, 14:39

Lyinginbedmon wrote:I was happy enough recently when I saw {the movie that must not be named but which has a name close to Sunset} posted in the Horror section of a DVD area.

Well, it certainly is horrifying.

-m

I am not angry at you.
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Postby EnglishMQ » 02 Jun 2010, 15:11

My book store has slowly bit surely managed to turn an entire section into "teen fantasy" which is Twilight, its rip offs, and a shelf they called "Comics and Manga" though is actually just Manga with some Alan Moore works next to it.
Vohn_exel
First Video: commodoreHUSTLE 04 - Fixer

Postby Vohn_exel » 03 Jun 2010, 17:22

Wow, thats an interesting topic switch, lol.

But yeah, I can say that I can sit through what I've seen of Michael Bay's movies. I mean, I didn't mind Transformers all that much, and two was acceptable although far worse then the original. I can certainly see where people are irritated with him, he definitely seems to love taking things that people grew up with and messing with them.

I think the only Boll movie I actually watched through till the end was " In the Name of the King" which wasn't that bad. Well, for one of his films. I mean, it obviously wanted to be LOTR, but still, it was probably his only good movie.

As for the Twighlight portion of the conversation...I don't really have a problem with it. What I do have a problem with is that now we've got a slew of knockoffs. I mean, ABC has "The Gates" coming out, which is ANOTHER vampire show. Seriously, you have the whole of western mythical monsters to chose from, and you stick with vampires? Where's the love for werewolves?
The Square Root of Nine is Three!
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 03 Jun 2010, 17:44

Of course not. Michael Bay is a failed clone hybrid of James Cameron, George Lucas, and a fraternity.

The more you know.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 04 Jun 2010, 04:33

Vohn_exel wrote:As for the Twighlight portion of the conversation...I don't really have a problem with it. What I do have a problem with is that now we've got a slew of knockoffs. I mean, ABC has "The Gates" coming out, which is ANOTHER vampire show. Seriously, you have the whole of western mythical monsters to chose from, and you stick with vampires? Where's the love for werewolves?

If you haven't seen it yet, I highly suggest watching Being Human. A vampire, a werewolf, and a ghost share a flat in Bristol, and it's awesome.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Vohn_exel

Postby Vohn_exel » 04 Jun 2010, 04:45

Master Gunner wrote:
Vohn_exel wrote:As for the Twighlight portion of the conversation...I don't really have a problem with it. What I do have a problem with is that now we've got a slew of knockoffs. I mean, ABC has "The Gates" coming out, which is ANOTHER vampire show. Seriously, you have the whole of western mythical monsters to chose from, and you stick with vampires? Where's the love for werewolves?

If you haven't seen it yet, I highly suggest watching Being Human. A vampire, a werewolf, and a ghost share a flat in Bristol, and it's awesome.

That sounds rather interesting. Is it a sitcom or something?
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 04 Jun 2010, 04:59

For what it's worth, I can sit through Uwe Boll movies, too. I don't find his stuff bad, but merely mediocre. Sometimes it's a little disappointing when I think of what he could have done with the film I'm watching, but I really am not disgusted with his work, or anything.

Michael Bay? Same thing.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 04 Jun 2010, 05:56

Vohn_exel wrote:
Master Gunner wrote:

That sounds rather interesting. Is it a sitcom or something?

Not quite, I believe the original pilot was more sit-com-y, but the actual series, while not without a plethora of comedic moments (its British, what do you expect?), is generally a dramatic series. There's also a US version coming out, but I don't have high hopes for it.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Vohn_exel

Postby Vohn_exel » 04 Jun 2010, 06:11

Hmm, that does sound pretty interesting. Yeah, I wouldn't put much stock in the American version being as good as the original. Although sometimes they do surprise :D
Echi
First Video: CHustle

Postby Echi » 05 Jun 2010, 17:21

I've got nothing against Michael Bay. I enjoyed transformers well enough, they weren't fantastic but they weren't the worst movies I've ever seen.

I am however a little worried about what he's going to do with the TMNT movie supposedly coming out in a few years.

Return to “General Discussion”