World Cup 2010: In case you care!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Football!

HOO-YEAH!
47%
That's not Football...
2%
Too painful to talk about
4%
Don't Care
36%
That's not Hockey...
11%

Total votes: 45
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

World Cup 2010: In case you care!

Postby epocalypse » 04 Jun 2010, 14:26

So, who wants to talk Football? Not fake football, but Association Football, where people play with their feet! I'm looking forward to this tentatively, as my team (Portugal) was underperforming in qualifiers (get off your ass, Ronaldo!) and was cast into group g, the Group of Death in this tourney with two of the top 3 (I'm looking at you, A Seleção Brasileira!) but we are ranked 3rd, and the third big hitter in the section, Côte d'Ivoire, just suffered a huge hit with their captain and star getting a fracture in a friendly against Japan, and North Korea doing anything against any of those teams would be a shock to remember.

Personally, I'd love for us to win, preferably by managing to properly thrash our cousins in Spain and Brazil (1 & 2 in the ranks, respectively) at some point. I do hesitate to get my hopes up, as we're one of the best teams to consistently not have won the big prizes, and I know that Brazil is PISSED after 4 years ago, but I'll be cheering my team.

So, anyone else care at all?
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Agloriouscuppa
First Video: Unskippable

Re: World Cup 2010: In case you care!

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 04 Jun 2010, 14:31

As cliché as it sounds England could have a chance to get pretty far, assuming we get our players fit in time. Its the strongest team we've fielded in years. That being said I see us getting to round 2 before getting knocked out. The pub near my flat is going to have a brass band for every match England play in. So 12 June, look out Yanks, were coming for you.

I'm a pretty big fan of football only because it gives me something I can be social to other people about. My flatmate is downright obsessed, but he also works in a pub and gets paid to watch/pour pints. Lucky Git.
It doesnt help does it?

Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter
epocalypse
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 04 Jun 2010, 14:39

Agloriouscuppa wrote: So 12 June, look out Yanks, were coming for you.

I really hope England has higher expectations and ambitions than beating the USA.
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 04 Jun 2010, 14:44

England will make it to the semi finals and then lose on penalties. It's our party piece.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Agloriouscuppa
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 04 Jun 2010, 14:44

epocalypse wrote:
Agloriouscuppa wrote: So 12 June, look out Yanks, were coming for you.

I really hope England has higher expectations and ambitions than beating the USA.

You'd be surprised there are actually good American footballers, thing is they all play in the English Leagues so you lot never hear about them.
It doesnt help does it?

Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 04 Jun 2010, 14:48

My preferences for the World Cup generally fall into England>Germany>Netherlands, based on my heritage/people I know/uniforms. That said I'd love to see a country like Nigeria or Ghana do well, 'cuz, you know? Also one of my best friends is an ex-pat from Switzerland so I have to cheer for them too.

That said my only jersey is England's from 2002. So... I guess I have to cheer for them? Oh wait, I have an Italian one from the UEFA European championship of 2004 as well.

...Eh.

Also, CFL starts soon, so it's not the only football I'll be watching.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 04 Jun 2010, 15:13

I'm living with a Brazilian and a Portuguese so things are going to get tense around here later this month!

I'm not much of a football/soccer person myself, but I think I'll probably watch a few games. I guess I'll be rooting for Brazil. It's going to be non-stop football talk for the next month, I'm sure of it. A bunch of my friends are going to see some games so maybe I will have some stories to tell later about the shinanigans of the World Cup fans.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 04 Jun 2010, 16:09

Tapir12 wrote:I'm living with a Brazilian and a Portuguese so things are going to get tense around here later this month!

Yes... yes it will. At least you don't have a Spaniard, too.
my personal site
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 04 Jun 2010, 16:11

I don't actually care but it's painful because I know I should. A couple times a month there are football questions at Team Trivia & my team is pretty lean on sports info.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Juliamon
First Video: I... think it was Who Watches Movies?

Postby Juliamon » 04 Jun 2010, 16:21

I arrived in Rio de Janeiro about an hour before Brazil won in 2002, and let me tell you that week was one of the most fun I've ever had (even though I was too young to drink at the time!) It was pretty funny, as we'd gone there planning to look as touristy as possible, and then EVERYONE IN THE DAMN CITY was wearing Ronaldo and Ronaldinho shirts and Brazil flag hats and we ended up standing out due to looking more like Brazilians than the actual Brazilians did!

So even though I don't much care for football (I'm a baseball girl), I still have a soft spot for the Brazil team. Good memories.
brb, assaulting children.
frozen_flame
First Video: Unskippable: Grandia III

Postby frozen_flame » 04 Jun 2010, 16:28

It'll be nice in the background, and will be supporting England [ofc]. If they go out...always the underdogs. Stuff like S. Korea getting to the semis are awesome.

England fans: Opinions on Ferdinand pulling out?
"The French looked at the dining table, and saw an opportunity to have dinner. We looked at the dining table, and saw an opportunity to play Wiff-Waff." - Boris Johnson on Ping-Pong
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 04 Jun 2010, 17:20

Oranje! Oranje!
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
davefp

Postby davefp » 05 Jun 2010, 07:45

England for me. Although with all our injuries lately it's going to be tough. Who's up for getting to the semi-finals then losing on penalties? We are!
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Postby EnglishMQ » 05 Jun 2010, 08:05

I find your options constraining, I'm more than Not Caring but definitly don't shout HOO-YEAH! at the very mention of it.

I like Football, I like tournaments where you can apply statistics and facts and figures, so this is an enjoyable event. I don't support England though, I'm neutral.

Not that it matters, England are going to loose in the Quarter Finals to France 2-0. Mark my words!
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 05 Jun 2010, 09:42

ok here's the thing.

i dont really like football. it does not interest me. That's fine, different things for different people. I dont resent people liking it, it's their loss. What i do resent is all the FUCKING hype. I cannot turn on the TV without some bloody advert telling me to watch or bet on the world cup, or the radio, or interact with other people without it being shoved in my face (i'm not talking about this thread by the way). I dont mind people talking about it, but do you have to assume that everyone gives a damn? I really wish people would stop shoving the fact that the world cup is on into my face.

Another thing that pisses me off is that everyone is convinced that England will win and, unless you're on TV, it is blasphemy to say otherwise. The kind of patriotic dedication to your country's sports teams (or indeed your local sports team) has never made sense to me. Don't get me wrong, i enjoy sport and support sports teams, but when it gets to the point where your team can do no wrong and you despise people who do not support your team, you are taking things far too seriously. This is one of the reasons why football annoys me; the fans are so obsessive and fervent. England may win the world cup, it would be great if they did, but people are setting themselves up for disappointment, because in all likelihood England will to reasonably well, but wont win.

[/rant]
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 05 Jun 2010, 10:19

Come on Wales....oh wait, they're not in it. Maybe Ireland...err, no. Well there's always Scot...nope. ENGLAND!!!!!!!!
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 05 Jun 2010, 12:13

I have been in Melbourne long enough that 'Football' means Australian rules football. I will throw my support behind my adopted country and say "Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi".
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 05 Jun 2010, 22:02

Oi. I love that word.
my personal site
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 06 Jun 2010, 05:58

I have an idea; this year, when we (England) lose, why doesn't everybody skip the "Oh-well-I-never-gave-a-shit-anyway-and-actually-I-quite-like-Portugal" routine? That always gets on my nerves.

Agloriouscuppa wrote:As cliché as it sounds England could have a chance to get pretty far, assuming we get our players fit in time. Its the strongest team we've fielded in years. That being said I see us getting to round 2 before getting knocked out.

That sounds likely; sadly, no matter how strong the squad we almost never manage to actually work effectively as an entire team.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 06 Jun 2010, 07:29

What I find retarded, each world cup some stupid priest/clergy guy comes out with prayers to help England win. Yeah, talking to thin air is really going to help.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
matthewm
First Video: Sometthing from years ago.

Postby matthewm » 06 Jun 2010, 15:13

I think Spain will actually pull it off this time. I'm just really hoping that an African team at least makes it to the Quarterfinals (Semis would be ideal, but I dunno if that's going to happen).

Cote D'Ivoire have had the worst luck. I'm hoping it turns around for them, but I kind of expect them to get lost on their way to the game against North Korea and default on it automatically or something.

I find all Euro/South American teams dominating to be disappointing. I want teams from other parts of the world to do well! Well, except the USA, I do think they play pretty good football (last I saw them play they didn't seem to dive), and that the game against England will be closer than people in the UK think (England are ranked 8th in the world, USA are ranked 14th), but they don't "deserve" winning, in that I don't think it'd even be front page news if they won the entire tournament.

Do people want to post who they think will win the groups/semis/finals?
365 Zines a Year: Zine and mini-comic reviews.
Ed.
First Video: Desert bus 3 (started at day 3)

Postby Ed. » 08 Jun 2010, 10:32

I would almost like to see USA do well if it meant Americans start playing real football
Spoilers for your life.
The main character dies at the end.
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 08 Jun 2010, 10:44

I'm from the States, where not caring about Soccer (or Football to the rest of the planet) is a national pastime.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 08 Jun 2010, 11:03

Elomin Sha wrote:What I find retarded, each world cup some stupid priest/clergy guy comes out with prayers to help England win. Yeah, talking to thin air is really going to help.

They should grow a pair, like the Brazillian Nuns. I hear they go in face paint.
my personal site
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 08 Jun 2010, 11:16

Dip them in the pot is it?

Return to “General Discussion”