Rejected ENN Moves to The Escapist

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Re: Rejected ENN Moves to The Escapist

Postby MattAn » 10 Jun 2010, 13:17

metcarfre wrote:Well, quite frankly, nothing then. Since ENN is 'The Escapist News Network', I'm personally of the opinion that everything relating to it should be over on The Escapist.

...Why? Why the hell does it have to solely be on The Escapist's website? It's made by four members of LRR in conjunction with Russ Pitts of The Escapist. It's still a product that members of LRR produce, therefore, it is also a LRR title. If you gradually throw everything over to The Escapist, then why have a LoadingReadyRun forum? Why not just have a LRR-related community section on The Escapist forums? With the mentality of "because it says Escapist, it MUST be there!" By that logic, the LRR videos are posted on The Escapist, therefore there's LRR's property right there.

GreigKM wrote:You know, if you brought back the Whatever Thing...
Okay, okay, I know, a man can dream right?
Anyway, expanding Loading Time or On The Run to cover ENN seems like a good idea to me, but I'm not the one making it.

This might be silly, but wasn't Phailhaus the replacement to The Whatever Thing? It's pretty much the same thing. Wacky stories and such. Instead, it's Graham as the main presenter rather than Morgan. Not much difference. They're both still funny. Besides, Phailhaus is done whenever anyway. Kathleen's been editing those like crazy. We do also get CrapShots 3 times a week..
Vohn_exel
First Video: commodoreHUSTLE 04 - Fixer

Postby Vohn_exel » 10 Jun 2010, 13:24

Hileict wrote:
metcarfre wrote:Well, quite frankly, nothing then. Since ENN is 'The Escapist News Network', I'm personally of the opinion that everything relating to it should be over on The Escapist.

...Why? Why the hell does it have to solely be on The Escapist's website? It's made by four members of LRR in conjunction with Russ Pitts of The Escapist. It's still a product that members of LRR produce, therefore, it is also a LRR title. If you gradually throw everything over to The Escapist, then why have a LoadingReadyRun forum? Why not just have a LRR-related community section on The Escapist forums? With the mentality of "because it says Escapist, it MUST be there!" By that logic, the LRR videos are posted on The Escapist, therefore there's LRR's property right there.

Well it might be made by them, but it's made for the Escapist. If they suddenly made something for say, G4, would you expect to be available to us here and not on G4? ENN is still The Escapist's even if it's made and shot by LRR. It's not an exclusive LRR thing, it's an Escapist thing the LRR crew is doing. So, the Escapist News Network belongs over there on The Escapist.
The Square Root of Nine is Three!
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 10 Jun 2010, 13:24

Because the Escapist funds and owns it.

They own the name, and likely have at least a partial share in the copyright.

It's their property.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 10 Jun 2010, 13:32

Yeah, pretty much.

Besides, what's good for ENN is good for LRR, and, in the end, good for us (the viewers) since we get more content. And it benefits ENN, since the vast majority of its audience is solely on The Escapist (which is fine!).
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 10 Jun 2010, 13:33

Jer wrote:
metcarfre wrote:Would this extra content be here or on The Escapist? Since the logic of moving Rejected ENN Stories (which I agree with) there is to keep all ENN material in one place, it seems incongruous to have another bit of bonus content over here... I guess if it were 'free to all' on over there (as opposed to being restricted to Publisher's Club subscribers) would be cool.

We're looking, specifically, for ideas on the kind of content you'd like to fill the hole left by Rejected ENN on our site.

What hole? There is no hole! Whatever hole was left was a pretty minimal one. No spackle necessary. We only had Rejected ENN for, what, a month or two now?

If you wanted to do something related, start talking about games more. More than just "what we're playing now" on the podcast. Discussions on games, the game industry, things that doing the research for ENN bring up. Technically it's not even related to ENN... but it's always fun to listen to you guys talk about games.

Haha for some reason the image in my mind now is Graham setting up a camera in a closet in the moonbase for "Gaming Confessionals," where the crew members go in and record deep, dark secrets about games they're playing. It'd be like reality TV.
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 10 Jun 2010, 13:42

Jer wrote:We're looking, specifically, for ideas on the kind of content you'd like to fill the hole left by Rejected ENN on our site.
You could bring back the Phailhaüs. Or the ISC.

Or have Tim make some non-specific On The Run vids; perhaps just a few random moments from around the Moonbase from each week.

Maybe an extra AskLRR mini-podcast?
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 10 Jun 2010, 20:04

On a completley rational level, I support and approve this decison. On a selfish level, I do not like it. Why? I like LRR, I like their videos. I do not like The Escapsit. I stopped watching Yahtzee a long time ago, and I don't like the forums there, or any other video content, or the articles. The only time I ever go to The Escapist is to, now, watch LRR. And while I love and support LRR, I can't justify spending money for access to bonus content from one series. And because my money is precious to me, in that I don't have a lot of it, if more bonus content were moved there, I'd also be upset. Because it is my choice to not join the Publisher's club, I don't have much right to, but in a sense it's like one thing, which could become many more things, that other people will see and discuss, and I am forced to be left out of. If too much of LRR's bonus content goes there, then that serves less to heighten the experience of people who can/will pay for that, and more to alienate fans who can't/won't pay for The Escapist.
Right now, it's really not a big deal. I like ENN, but it's not my favorite, so I can live happily without access to it.

I do remember them saying that this was a possibility though, in a topic a little while back (not too long ago, like maybe a month or so?).

tl;dr: not a big deal right now, and I compltely understand why it's being done, but I don't enjoy the idea that because I don't want to pay money to The Escapist, I am forced to miss out on content from the one group I watch on that website.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 10 Jun 2010, 20:25

One person will ALWAYS melt down, no matter what the changes are. There is nothing to be done about it.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Whitmore
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Whitmore » 11 Jun 2010, 00:36

King Kool wrote:One person will ALWAYS melt down, no matter what the changes are. There is nothing to be done about it.
You have gained influence with [Whitmore]
The answer to everything is always tubes.
TheRocketSiobhan wrote:You:"He's the kind that completes me.. he is a best friend for life... that's what kind he is"
Hottie:"OMFG UR SEW IN TOUCH WITH FEELINGS. I WANT UR PENIS IN ME NOW"
Snowman
First Video: Unskippable 01 - Lost Plane

Postby Snowman » 11 Jun 2010, 00:52

Graham wrote:Anyway, I think mostly everyone's on the same page here, and thanks again everyone for the feedback and for being largely cool about it!

To what Jer said earlier, what other behind-the-scenes info about ENN can we give you all?

More you to ranting with clips of those you rant about. Oh wait, about ENN, possibly ranting about Sir Fragsalot or Quickbender.

Evil Jim wrote:... Please watch this. ...
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 11 Jun 2010, 01:02

Ottoman wrote:You could bring back the Phailhaüs. Or the ISC.

Or have Tim make some non-specific On The Run vids; perhaps just a few random moments from around the Moonbase from each week.

Maybe an extra AskLRR mini-podcast?

Phailhaüs is in the works, albiet slowly - Graham's a busy busy guy and it surprises me when he finds time to urinate between render passes.

I believe Tim is chugging along well with some vids... Come to think of it I think I owe him an edit for something... *sweat*

Graham and I have been wanting to do a Crapshots micro-podcast for a while yet, but we're undecided on format. Maybe I should put some more thought into a radio drama...

Plus, there might be a... Surprise... Thing... Being worked on... A bit. Maybe.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 11 Jun 2010, 05:56

Alex Steacy wrote:Plus, there might be a... Surprise... Thing... Being worked on... A bit. Maybe.

Source 2?
No wait... that's Valve...
Still, this is relevant to my interests...
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 11 Jun 2010, 07:49

I wish people wouldn't talk about the ISC being dead just because it hasn't updated in six months. They've had long pauses between them before.

I'm starting to jones for one... I'll admit...
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 11 Jun 2010, 08:48

Think about other series, though. The Idiot Room was never 'officialy' retired, nor The Whatever Thing, nor Sheer Stupidity, nor Celestial Sea. Nobody would doubt that those are dead, though, right? As has been emphaticaly pointed out in this thread, the Crew are busy people, already producing 4 regular series, a podcast, and bonus behind-the-scenes videos. The likelyhood of any other bonus content seems low, especially considering how sporadic updates have become (which is a pretty reliable indicator of the health of any series, anywhere). At least until someone else can help with editing videos, I personally won't expect much other content. Which is fine; I just think it helps to be realistic about these things.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 11 Jun 2010, 10:41

I think the fact that Tim and Alex are also able to edit videos might help with getting some of the as-yet unedited stuff up. Obviously both of them are busy people though. For those saying they're releasing 3 weekly vids. if you take into account the fact that crapshots are also coming thick and fast, that's 6 weekly videos that are being written, filmed and edited by the crew of various members thereof.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 11 Jun 2010, 14:55

The Idiot Room was never a LoadingReadyRun series and it ended when my employment at that company ended.
I surprised people still remember it.

ISC has frequent hiatuses... hiatusii? ...but anyway, it's coming back. We have plans.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 11 Jun 2010, 15:34

Hey, could someone prod Morgan to finish that super secret video project he started whilst couch surfing across north America last summer?
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 11 Jun 2010, 16:38

Graham wrote:I'm surprised people still remember it.
Didn't you reference it in Hot Water at PAX? Or was that just coincidence?
Jer wrote:All I've had to eat is this complimentary non-dairy creamer. . .
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 11 Jun 2010, 16:51

Oh! Wow, that would've been obscure.
No, that's just cause it was there. It could have easily been coffee grounds.
tamaness
First Video: LRReview: Desert Bus

Postby tamaness » 11 Jun 2010, 22:27

AlexanderDitto wrote:Haha for some reason the image in my mind now is Graham setting up a camera in a closet in the moonbase for "Gaming Confessionals," where the crew members go in and record deep, dark secrets about games they're playing. It'd be like reality TV.

This actually sounds interesting... TGWP without people interrupting each-other; just candid thoughts about whatever from the crew, edited for our consumption.

Is Crapshots M-W-F now? We need Tues-Thurs content. We have a heavy Monday (Crapshots, LRR, Unskippable), a heavy Wednesday (Crapshots, ENN, ENN rejected), and a heavy Friday (Crapshots, ITM, AAAL), and podcasts on Sundays, usually. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays need some love. Especually Thursdays, because I'm usually off that day :P.
Vohn_exel

Postby Vohn_exel » 12 Jun 2010, 00:13

Really I still say that there's nothing that needs to fill the void. I mean, maybe have some other quick text write up or something. I really liked the story of the "echo" video. The thought of them sitting on top of a mountain and shouting at each other "YOUR WIFE'S A BITCH" and "I AM A HOMOSEXUAL" a few times is really hilarious.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 12 Jun 2010, 08:30

madAlric wrote:Is Crapshots M-W-F now? We need Tues-Thurs content. We have a heavy Monday (Crapshots, LRR, Unskippable), a heavy Wednesday (Crapshots, ENN, ENN rejected), and a heavy Friday (Crapshots, ITM, AAAL), and podcasts on Sundays, usually. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays need some love. Especually Thursdays, because I'm usually off that day :P.
I look at that schedule & all I can think of is they need a couple days off. If Tuesday & Thursday works for them, so be it. Seeing that list, it would make me feel bad asking for more content.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 12 Jun 2010, 09:39

I have to agree with Evil Jim - that's a pretty heavy schedule, so I don't mind the "low content" days. As far as the Rejected ENN moving to the Escapist Publisher's Club...I'll miss it, and am sad we didn't get to see the new format before the move, but I applaud anything that benefits LRR. The crew are the only ones who know what will work for them, and we just have trust that they have their own best interests at heart.

With that said, I tend to view the publisher's club much the same as TV commercials. I'll wait until the shows I like come out in a "commercial-free" format, so when/if ENN and rejected ENN bonus content come out on DVD, I will buy the hell out of them. Until then, I can wait to see the bonus content.

Why, yes! I am a slow adopter of new technology! Thanks for asking!

As far as content to replace rejected ENN, I like the idea to keep posting the graphics from the episodes. All that detail work needs to be appreciated!
Vohn_exel

Postby Vohn_exel » 12 Jun 2010, 13:09

Wow, that is seriously a hectic schedule! Yeah, with stuff like that, I think ya'll deserve few days of rest. I mean I'm sure you love what you do but wow, you gotta take a break sometime. I don't mind the lack of a few written texts in trade for you to be able to breathe,lol.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 12 Jun 2010, 13:25

Evil Jim wrote:
madAlric wrote:Is Crapshots M-W-F now? We need Tues-Thurs content. We have a heavy Monday (Crapshots, LRR, Unskippable), a heavy Wednesday (Crapshots, ENN, ENN rejected), and a heavy Friday (Crapshots, ITM, AAAL), and podcasts on Sundays, usually. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays need some love. Especually Thursdays, because I'm usually off that day :P.
I look at that schedule & all I can think of is they need a couple days off. If Tuesday & Thursday works for them, so be it. Seeing that list, it would make me feel bad asking for more content.

+1

This is just part of my philosophy that, when in doubt, look to Jim for the right answer.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~

Return to “General Discussion”