Rejected ENN Moves to The Escapist

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Re: Rejected ENN Moves to The Escapist

Postby Theremin » 09 Jun 2010, 13:59

Reminds me, I have barbecue pizza.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 09 Jun 2010, 14:00

I want barbecue pizza now.

And cheese.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 09 Jun 2010, 14:01

I quit eating pizza when I left NYC. It's been helping great with my diet.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Postby EnglishMQ » 09 Jun 2010, 14:01

A good explanation, cheese and barecue pizza!

Truly this thread has brought good to the world!
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 09 Jun 2010, 14:07

epocalypse wrote:I quit eating pizza when I left NYC. It's been helping great with my diet.

That is because you, sir, are a fool.

Pizza is fantastic: protein, carbs, vegetables, fruits, and fat. EVERYTHING (save fibre and I'm sure I could figure that out) you need to survive, all in ONE GLORIOUS MEAL.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 09 Jun 2010, 14:12

Whole wheat crust for fibre.

-m

I am not angry at you.
EnglishMQ

Postby EnglishMQ » 09 Jun 2010, 14:14

Is there nothing this pizza doesn't provide!
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 09 Jun 2010, 14:15

Yes, the sense of belonging and companionship found only when holding your lover and soul-mate.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 09 Jun 2010, 14:15

Okay, a few things. I never said that it was 'my' content. What I meant by 'our' content is that it's made by LRR, and we are LRR's fans. I even said that I understand that it's the Escapist's property, but we're the real fans, and it's being taken away from us. And it's not that I mind having less content; I would totally understand if LRR stopped making a series, for example. But in this case, LRR is still making this content, and it's being kept from us and reserved for other people.

Alexander, your dairy analogy doesn't apply to this situation. You have the yogurt being produced by the same company that makes the cheese. That would be like if LRR started a new series, owned by them, and then said 'you love LRR, now try our new series, x'. That makes perfect sense, as you said. But the situation here isn't the same, because it's the Escapist who are using our loyalty to LRR to try to squeeze money out of us. They're saying, essentially, 'we know you really love LRR, so we can probably get some of you to give us money by taking some content and making it only available to Escapist people'. And I find that absolutely insidious.

I don't even have a problem with paying for content. If LRR cost $20 a year, or $50, or whatever, I would gladly pay; I know the Crew deserve it. (That's why I buy merch.) On the other hand, I refuse to pay Russ Pitts and his goons a single cent. And the more they try to bully us into giving them our money, by using other people's hard work, the more I can't stand them.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be hostile at all, this is just how I feel about the whole mess.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 09 Jun 2010, 14:21

Matt wrote:Yes, the sense of belonging and companionship found only when holding your lover and soul-mate.

-m

Then make a wife out of pizza. It'd be moist.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 09 Jun 2010, 14:22

Matt wrote:Yes, the sense of belonging and companionship found only when holding your lover and soul-mate.

-m

I speak for myself, and if she ends up leaving me for this SO BE IT.

My soul-mate is only 99% as awesome as good pizza.
EnglishMQ

Postby EnglishMQ » 09 Jun 2010, 14:24

Maybe you could have a Pizza, with your soul-mate? It would be like the best of both worlds!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 09 Jun 2010, 14:25

I can confirm that pizza - especially homemade, together - consumed with one's soul mate is, indeed, boss.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 09 Jun 2010, 14:25

EnglishMQ wrote:Maybe you could have a Pizza, with your soul-mate? It would be like the best of both worlds!

Oh it is...it is.
JoshTheater
First Video: Desert Bus Killed The Internet Star

Postby JoshTheater » 09 Jun 2010, 14:26

Ottoman wrote:...but we're the real fans, and it's being taken away from us....But in this case, LRR is still making this content, and it's being kept from us and reserved for other people.

No, it's not being "kept from you". You can still access it if you pay. That is not the definition of being "kept from you". Nothing you have to pay for is being "kept from you", you just have to choose to make the exchange.

I hate how you're saying it's being reserved for "other people". They're not some other exclusive group that you can never be a part of. You pay a small amount of money and you're a part of that group. It's not being taken away from LRR fans at all. LRR fans and people who pay for content are not two separate groups. You can make the choice to be part of the people who pay for that content, but you're choosing NOT to be.

If you refuse to pay anything to the Escapist on some principle, that's neither LRR's problem nor The Escapist's problem. That's your problem.

And once again, how are they even "taking away" any content from LRR fans? This is content that they have NEVER had available before. You just said in your post that if they offered a new series, that would be fine. They ARE offering a new series. This is a new series. So why is it not fine just because it happens to be on another site, where it's still easily accessible?

And lastly, you keep implying that this was all The Escapist's decision. It wasn't. Jer has made it clear that this was LRR's decision to do this. So how is The Escapist exploiting anything? IT WASN'T EVEN THEIR CHOICE.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 09 Jun 2010, 14:32

Also, since I haven't seen it mentioned:

The Escapist didn't ask for it. LRR offered it. Big difference.

Edit: FOILED AGAIN!
Last edited by Vigafre on 09 Jun 2010, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.
JoshTheater
First Video: Desert Bus Killed The Internet Star

Postby JoshTheater » 09 Jun 2010, 14:34

I just pretty much edited that into my last post as you were writing that, but good point. :)
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 09 Jun 2010, 14:35

JoshTheater wrote:I just pretty much edited that into my last post as you were writing that, but good point. :)

CURSES!
EnglishMQ

Postby EnglishMQ » 09 Jun 2010, 14:37

Yes, and to be fair it is BONUS content. It's kind of like, a bonus, not manditory and whatever.

It's like if LRR was a pizza, and than they made a different kind of pizza, and eventually said "Hay, we got some other stuff left over from the pizza that could make an O.K dish, for a bonus or anything." And a lot of the time a lot of people would be like, "Well, we just had all that amazing pizza, so I'm good at the moment."

I want pizza, damn it being midnight here!
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 09 Jun 2010, 14:38

Ottoman wrote:I even said that I understand that it's the Escapist's property, but we're the real fans, and it's being taken away from us.

Never say this again. You're making yourself sound like an idiot.

No matter how much longer some people have been fans of LRR, or how diehard they are, or whatever, it makes no difference to the point that people on the Escapist who are watching the new LRR videos every week are just as much LRR fans as us here on the forums. Just because they heard of LRR a bit later and have some catching up to do and haven't seen all of their content just yet doesn't make them any less a fan than you or me.
We've got a lot to thank these people for, even if we don't know them like we know the forumgoers. When it comes down to it all of these viewers and new fans that LRR has been acquiring and will continue to acquire through the Escapist are what is giving them the opportunity to do their work, get paid, and create more content than ever before.

If you're so distraught about it, go spend a few bucks and get a membership. I personally don't even really watch ENN all that much. If you've got a serious problem with missing out on content, do something about it. IT'S A BLESSING TO GET SO MUCH FREE CONTENT ON THE INTERNET. People shouldn't be so surprised when it becomes somewhat less free. Bare in mind, that regardless of this ENN and Unskippable themselves aren't going to cost money for you to watch, nor will LRR.
wartjr2373

Postby wartjr2373 » 09 Jun 2010, 14:42

I'm okay with Escapist-exclusive videos. I feel bad for people who won't/can't pay for the Publisher's Club to watch additional LRR content, but it makes too much sense for me to make a big deal about it. Rejected ENN belongs on the Escapist.
Just call me Dylan. It's easier to pronounce.

AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 09 Jun 2010, 14:52

Goddamnit I didn't have lunch and now this thread is making me hungry and it's ALL MY FAULT.

Jer instead of these videos can we just have pizza? Or videos of you guys eating pizza? I don't even care, I'm so friggin' hungry.

Also I wasn't trying to "gang up" I just got ninja'd by a bunch of other people.
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 09 Jun 2010, 14:53

Kara wrote:If you're so distraught about it, go spend a few bucks and get a membership. [. . . ] IT'S A BLESSING TO GET SO MUCH FREE CONTENT ON THE INTERNET. People shouldn't be so surprised when it becomes somewhat less free.
Did you even read my post? I don't care about the cost, I just refuse to give my money to the Escapist, because they've done nothing to deserve it.

And we are the real LRR fans. If people at the Escapist appreciate LRR, they will come over here and be a part of it. If not, all LRR is to them is an after-dinner mint to ZP. (Not that I don't like Yahtzee, mind.) They don't deserve to get content made by people they don't even appreciate.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 09 Jun 2010, 14:56

I'm trying hard to believe someone can actually be this vitriolic.

New thought; I declare myself to be one of the 'chosen' LRR fans. You are not. Go away.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 09 Jun 2010, 15:00

Ottoman wrote:And we are the real LRR fans. If people at the Escapist appreciate LRR, they will come over here and be a part of it.

How can you... why are you... what... >.<

I think part of my brain just exploded. What, to you, does it mean to be a fan? To me, being a fan means loving something, enjoying it, supporting its creators, wanting more of it. Does your definition somewhere include "being a member of a specific message board associated with the thing?"

Well, shit, then I guess I'm not actually a fan of Doctor Who, or Hitchhiker's Guide, or Kurt Vonnegut or Claude Debussy or cheese or any of the thousand other things I love.

I guarantee you there are fans of LRR who don't even know what a message board is. According to you, they're somehow not worthy of LRR? That's dumb.

Return to “General Discussion”