Thanks for the Inspiration LRR

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
thorin01
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Thanks for the Inspiration LRR

Postby thorin01 » 26 Jun 2010, 15:23

A few weeks ago I had to give a speech for my Toastmasters club. I wanted to do a speech about my job. The problem, I work in accounting. Now while I find accounting to be interesting (analyzing data, finding answers, working through a difficult problem) I fully acknowledge that it doesn’t make for great story telling fodder.

Fortunately I remembered two of my favorite videos from LRR; ’30 Minutes or Less’ and ‘The Secret of the Sauce’. You took the world of pizza delivery and fit it into the hard-boiled noir detective narrative. It helps that among my favorite series of books is Rex Stout’s Nero Wolfe mysteries, which I highly recommend (side note – Nero Wolfe is the ultimate geek).

And thus inspiration struck. And I ended up doing the following speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBdoZkw2LKk

I borrowed the ‘Chief’ bit from you guys and from the Superman comics and I named one the key characters Johnny.

The speech went over very well and I’m now further refining it for use in the Humorous speech contest later this year.

Once again, thanks for the inspiration.
Kirkygirl
First Video: Son Of A Bitch

Re: Thanks for the Inspiration LRR

Postby Kirkygirl » 26 Jun 2010, 18:30

Good job my friend! I can see you're a bit nervous with this speech but you gave a fabulous speech. Well done!

-Kirkygirl
Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there!
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Jack
First Video: The Joystique or Unskippable

Postby Jack » 26 Jun 2010, 18:59

That's really neat! And you did a good job, thorin01!
What are you looking at.
thorin01
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby thorin01 » 28 Jun 2010, 06:43

Thanks for the kind words. Like I said this was one of my favorite speeches. Hopefully when I get done reworking it will get me at least to the District finals.

Return to “General Discussion”