Whats with the LARP hate?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
killljoy
First Video: ENN on escapist

Whats with the LARP hate?

Postby killljoy » 01 Jul 2010, 16:50

I love LARPing. Yeah its dorky, Thats why we do it way out of the public eye.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Re: Whats with the LARP hate?

Postby Nevrmore » 01 Jul 2010, 16:52

Okay.
Zhyard

Postby Zhyard » 01 Jul 2010, 17:09

So then you agree that it is a shameful thing that should be seen by no one?
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 01 Jul 2010, 17:13

Ostracizing other people's moronic hobbies make me feel better about my own

*spends 50 dollars buying & painting a toy*
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 01 Jul 2010, 17:13

I will call you Lord Jizz'ar
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 01 Jul 2010, 18:21

I see nothing wrong with it, I quite like roleplaying and LARP'ing.

Though it's funny that people will make fun of roleplayers and LARP'ers and say that's the dumbest thing you can do, yet they go to the movie theater and love watching professional roleplayers.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 01 Jul 2010, 18:27

Unless you're LARPing in my living room, I'm not going to care. Or if you ARE, and it's actually based on medieval times and is thoroughly entertaining, I AM going to care and enjoy it. Or if you're LARPing as giant walking talking pokemon, I'm going to kick you in the pokeballs and not care.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 01 Jul 2010, 18:41

It isn't hate, it's parody. LRR also makes fun of the Dutch, gamers, reporters, and Linux users, however they do not hate them. If you are referring to the general hate of LARPing in the world, well, people suck.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 01 Jul 2010, 18:47

LARPing looks bizarre & silly to an outsider or someone who has never roleplayed before. I can certainly see the appeal but I'm not quick enough on my feet to be able to play my character in real-time so I'll stick with table-top RPGs.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 01 Jul 2010, 18:48

*spends 2 bucks on paper and coloured pencils*

I will call this country Moriya. It's capital is located on the south coast and the exit of the central river running through the country, and serves as a port to allow the exports of the countries agricultural surplus. But all is not well in this country, as internal problems relating the maldistribution of wealth from the coasts to the int...
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 01 Jul 2010, 18:53

When I play Monopoly I like to roleplay as the evil capitalist milking disenfranchised and impoverished people for their money. If I'm playing with a group I'll single out the most unpopular person and regularly cheat at rolls and rent and if he calls me out I'll accuse him of being a pedophile and turn everyone against him.
goat

Postby goat » 01 Jul 2010, 19:09

Cureless_Poison wrote:I see nothing wrong with it, I quite like roleplaying and LARP'ing.

Though it's funny that people will make fun of roleplayers and LARP'ers and say that's the dumbest thing you can do, yet they go to the movie theater and love watching professional roleplayers.

Well there is a difference there, isn't there? If you happened upon a bunch of amateur hockey players who were terrible at it you'd point and laugh as they fell down on the ice and argued about obtuse rules, but would have no problem turning on an NHL game.

It doesn't help matters that a lot of LARPers are considered socially awkward and are generally considered easy targets for being picked on.

(yes, i know that many LARPers are fine upstanding citizens, but this is the public opinion. Take it up with the mob)
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 01 Jul 2010, 20:25

So you are admitting that it is not in line with the societal norms? Well then, there's your answer. People don't like things that are different.
I personally don't like it because it seems a little ridiculous... The thing about RPG's is it allows you to be someone else, if you are a short, sixteen year old. It's a bit difficult (for me anyway) to convince yourself that you are Bathalion the Warrior King of Amirightomon who's 6 feet tall and hefts a giant bladed axe the size of night stand. I feel that the inherent flaw in the concept is the "live -action" because by an large you can't get past physical experience. . Using one of the above examples, actors are chosen for parts based on certain physical criteria, i.e.. You wouldn't cast Jon Heder as Chev Chelios in Crank... Plus it seems like a lot of work. If i'm roleplaying I want to be comfortable, which is why I prefer tabletop RPG's. More comfy and easier to establish unique characters.
^( " )^
winner!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 01 Jul 2010, 20:31

I kind of think of it as adults being looked down upon, in general, for enjoying childish things. Video games, comic books, models, Lego, Nerf guns, tabletop gaming - all of these to one extent or another, are associated with childhood. And yet, all of them are enjoyed at one level or another by adults. LARPing may be associated with perhaps the most childish of pursuits - simple running around pretending, creating entire worlds with your friends.

The other, obvious, difference, is perhaps that LARPers are, by their very nature, out in the public eye, whereas the above mentioned 'childish' pursuits are enjoyed mostly in private, and by one's self. The exhibitory nature of LARP may be the deciding factor.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 02 Jul 2010, 00:20

I'm LARPing at the moment, as a human being.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
NecroVale
Card-Carrying Cool Person
First Video: Door to Door

Postby NecroVale » 02 Jul 2010, 01:17

Elomin Sha wrote:I'm LARPing at the moment, as a human being.

Lies!

You are clearly LARPing a Sasquatch-bunny.
Allen! wrote:I know, it confused and aroused me.
Also made me hate him more.

Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 02 Jul 2010, 02:34

NecroVale wrote:Lies!

LIES!
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 02 Jul 2010, 02:40

(8)Liar! Liar! everything's on fire!(8)

one internet to anyone who can identify the song, album and band.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 02 Jul 2010, 02:46

Evil Jim wrote:I can certainly see the appeal but I'm not quick enough on my feet to be able to play my character in real-time so I'll stick with table-top RPGs.

I don't think you actually have to be Damien Walters to roleplay a character with a high acrobatics skill, even in LARP.
Vohn_exel
First Video: commodoreHUSTLE 04 - Fixer

Postby Vohn_exel » 02 Jul 2010, 04:14

I used to rp on message boards for years, only stopped recently because I got bored with it. I mean, I was on a Star Wars forum, where we geeked out and even trained padawans (I'm a Jedi Master there, takes alot of work to earn that. Anyway.) and it was great. However, they looked down on LARPing there too.

I personally can't quite get into it, although I can be said to do "lite" larping with my friends. We have swords (they used to be plastic hockey sticks, now they're these foam replicas) that we sword fight with. It's quite fun, actually. I used to be terrible and I got pretty good at it, at least compared to how I used to do. Anyway, we had "spells" and stuff that I kept track of until they got ridiculous, but most of my friends don't want to do that anymore. We still "sword fight" though. Infact, we're going to this saturday.
The Square Root of Nine is Three!
Anatidaephobia
First Video: Green

Postby Anatidaephobia » 02 Jul 2010, 04:42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ04mfAY2BU

Do we really need to say more?
Anatidaephobia - a pervasive, irrational fear that one is being watched by a duck.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 02 Jul 2010, 04:43

I understand people (especially those on the internet) looking down on LARPers about as much as I understand them looking down on Furries. For them, it's a fun, enjoyable, activity/hobby/lifestyle that, honestly, is no weirder or unusual than things that we generally (ESPECIALLY on the internet) take for granted.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 02 Jul 2010, 04:50

LARPing is a sin, just like premarital sex, drinking alcohol, and posting on internet sketch comedy forums.

Guess which three of those I'm doing right now.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 02 Jul 2010, 05:29

ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:
Evil Jim wrote:I can certainly see the appeal but I'm not quick enough on my feet to be able to play my character in real-time so I'll stick with table-top RPGs.

I don't think you actually have to be Damien Walters to roleplay a character with a high acrobatics skill, even in LARP.

Ah, but there's the rub; most table-top RPG'ing involves suspension of disbelief and imagination - the GM describes the setting and - apart from a rudimentary (and often player-drawn, thus error-ridden) map for record-keeping, the players visualize the situation their characters are in. Since people are already using their imagination it's not much harder to also imagine the avatars of the players as something other than themselves; the foot is already in the door, so to speak, and willing suspension of disbelief is strengthened.

But LARPing removes some of that visualization and engages the mind in a different activity - disbelief of what IS present and tangible and replacement with an imaginary analogue. This makes things more difficult; one not only has to imagine Jon Cryer as Conan of Cimmeria while he's sitting at the table describing what he's doing, but look at Mr. C physically acting out Conan's actions and mentally cut-and-paste in Frank Franzetta's artwork over this.

With that, on one hand, the mind's disbelief has to be suspended to insert the character's image into the fantasy - just like normal - but simutaneously it has to be ENGAGED to override the actual sensory input being presented by real-life.

This makes it harder to 'get into' LARPing, especially if one's a bystander to the activity, and if an viewer's willing suspension of disbelief doesn't succeed while watching something, the instinctual response to the play/movie/storytelling/etc. is derision. The thrown tomatoes at a bad actor, the boos and catcalls at a horrible production of a play, and also LARP-hate.

Another factor is the live-action and real-time nature of LARP runs counter with the necessarily irregular and unrealistic pacing of a typical RPG session; time stops as the GM takes several minutes to describe and elaborate on vivid settings that unfurl within the players' minds. Contrast that with a GM that's running along to keep up with a charging party of LARPers and has to attempt the same level of description and imagery in about a split second...while short of breath.

For the record, the increase of the concrete representation in subsequent editions of Dungeons & Dragons has led to correspondingly less appeal to those revisions with me - it's one thing to use scale maps to facilitate combat resolution (and tie back to its board wargame roots), but it takes some of that imagination away, and thus weakens willing suspension of disbelief. It's my one sticking point with 3rd/3.5, and (AFAICT) remained the same in 4e, joining other problems I have with that revision. :(
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 02 Jul 2010, 08:17

Empath just said what I was trying to say with more elocution. I wish I was a wordsmith.
^( " )^
winner!

Return to “General Discussion”