What old timey words/phrases ect. do you use?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Vohn_exel
First Video: commodoreHUSTLE 04 - Fixer

What old timey words/phrases ect. do you use?

Postby Vohn_exel » 03 Jul 2010, 08:54

My family is one of long livers, at least on my dad side. They are just now starting to really all kick the bucket and are around 90 and up. My dad is an exception as he as just about won the life threatening illness lottery. Anyway, because of this, I've noticed that I have alot of "old timey" words for saying stuff.

I actually can't think of all of them now, but I use them when I'm not thinking about it. In another thread, I just said "video tape" instead of "film." Which is kind of funny because you hardly even use tapes now. It actually irritates me now because I can't think of any but I know I do it. So, I'm sure someone else out there does too. Anyone use any real old terms, phrases or words for any particular reason?
The Square Root of Nine is Three!
Keab42

Re: What old timey words/phrases ect. do you use?

Postby Keab42 » 03 Jul 2010, 09:19

I don't know about old but I do use several regional terms that make no sense to people outside of this part of England.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
BipsCutie
First Video: Phailhaus 25

Postby BipsCutie » 03 Jul 2010, 09:28

i say 'you reet?' for 'are you alright?' which is a very strong, manly, working class, Boltonian accent, and me being a 17year old female people often are shocked when i talk (i have an extremely strong Boltonian accent) xD
I'm like Marmite... you either love me or hate me ^^
It's My Delorean
First Video: commodore hustle 06
Location: The Omniverse International™ campus, The Moon Nation of Omnibus, Universe 64

Postby It's My Delorean » 03 Jul 2010, 10:16

I dunno about old-timey phrases but my family on my Mom's side are German and so it's not uncommon for random german words to slip into conversations.
Co-Owner of Omniverse International

DmitriW wrote:
It's My Delorean wrote:..However, provided you agree with my plan for Titan as detailed above...

I'm so down with that plan.

I don't actually own a Delorean...
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 03 Jul 2010, 10:26

I have on occasion said jolly good, tally ho, wut wut, I say and a number of other old time phrases. The oldest I have done is speaking in Old English.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 03 Jul 2010, 10:55

I say alreet. I also say dude alot, which causes people to call me dude a lot but not eachother. Thats not old timey though.

La is something I've picked up which is a very Scouse way of referring to a person.

I can also understand backslang, but can't really speak it. Thats another very Scouse way of speaking. Its basically incomprehensible if you don't know the rules. Its like a way of talking without people knowing what you're saying.
Nothing to see here.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 03 Jul 2010, 12:25

I'll occasionally say boot due to watching too much Top Gear, and torch instead of flashlight because of my father, along with the odd other British-ism, which would be considered old-timey/odd around here.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
SecretsOfMoon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby SecretsOfMoon » 03 Jul 2010, 14:33

Top Gear can affect your english. It can also make you forget what side of the road you're supposed to drive on.
I am the bearer of Sitra Ahra, the one who stands at the gates of Qliphoth, I am Maskim Xul.
4861696c20536174616e21
Depressive Realism Now!
GaProgMan
First Video: 1337 - 64K

Postby GaProgMan » 03 Jul 2010, 16:28

As a modest sort of fellow (some have commented 'chap') I always attempt to use the fullest of the vocabulary and mannerisms offered me by my mother tongue, the English Language. For instance, I'm known for saying 'good lord' 'I say' and 'hello' to show shock and amazement.

However there are times when I feel the need to use the slightly less than savoury words. When I do, I try to make them sound as absurd as I can in their delivery and setup. For instance, I have been known to use 'bastard' on occassion. However, I always make sure to pronounce it in a very like Machurian (a person from Manchest) accent - for those who might not know what this means, picture Sean Bean saying it. I never use these words for insults though, as there are such better insults out there (one of Oscar Wildes better ones springs to mind 'You, sir, are a mangy cock flap')

I also fall into the trap of using 'dude' a lot, but this is simply because I am a Hulkamaniac and proud of it.
Avatar image is part of Vanilla Jester's Draw-A-Thing series on LRR forumers
Agloriouscuppa
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 03 Jul 2010, 17:04

GaProgMan wrote:As a modest sort of fellow (some have commented 'chap') I always attempt to use the fullest of the vocabulary and mannerisms offered me by my mother tongue, the English Language. For instance, I'm known for saying 'good lord' 'I say' and 'hello' to show shock and amazement.

I usually say good lord, I say or hello to surprising situations but I hardly think of it as old fashioned. Also nice to see that their are other chaps on these forums. I assume you will be attending the Chap Olympiad. I was meant to be but with my being abroad for the good of the Empire I must miss it. I was so looking forward to the bicycle joust.
It doesnt help does it?

Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 03 Jul 2010, 17:29

words I've picked up from my grandparents:
Yonder
seventyleven
divan
... I know there are more, but its difficult to think of right now. Maybe more later?
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 03 Jul 2010, 18:03

...I've started saying "ate" as "ett."

Fucking QI.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 03 Jul 2010, 18:11

Sometimes I say 'tis but I think that's about it.

Sometimes throw in the odd british phrase, but I donb't necessarily think they are "old timely"
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 04 Jul 2010, 02:31

i often says 'me thinks' rather than 'i think' and i occasionally quote Shakespeare... I also use some other old timey words sometimes, 'cad' 'for seuth' various others.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 04 Jul 2010, 02:43

Is 'dude' really old timey? I mean, I say it a lot (I also have been know to say gnarly and rad. I may or may not be stuck in the early nineties. Which sucks, seen as I was born in '92). I say chap and jolly good and chap but I wouldn't consider them old either. Though some would. This is what you get for attending public school.
Keelah Se'lai
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 04 Jul 2010, 02:52

No dude is not old timey, thats why I said
The Me wrote:Thats not old timey though.

Also using English phrases when you're not English, especially out dated ones like chap and jolly good and tally ho and lawks melordie me bottoms on fire etc etc, just makes English people think you're either making fun of them or a dick. If you are English though, then thats fine.

Oh and seventyleven? What does that even mean? Isn't that how old Bilbo was?
Nothing to see here.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 04 Jul 2010, 05:30

I think I am the king of old-timey phraseology. I say "good heavens!" quite a bit, I often address people as "gentlemen!" I'm having difficulty right now thinking of other things in particular... but I like to think my speech mannerisms are a bit more archaic than others.
Ed.
First Video: Desert bus 3 (started at day 3)

Postby Ed. » 04 Jul 2010, 05:38

I use unusual instead of weird and people always laugh its totally unintentional.

I also use la, in a bit, like, sound ect but that's all scouse stuff and not old timely.
Spoilers for your life.
The main character dies at the end.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 04 Jul 2010, 05:50

Egads...where do I start?
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 04 Jul 2010, 08:32

I use a lot of slightly outdated dutch, it actually improves communicating with "the older generations" but when talking with my fellow youths I sometimes get weird looks.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 04 Jul 2010, 10:46

Machalllewis wrote:Also using English phrases when you're not English, especially out dated ones like chap and jolly good and tally ho and lawks melordie me bottoms on fire etc etc, just makes English people think you're either making fun of them or a dick.

I agree. "old-timey" and "generic, cliche things that North Americans think British people say" aren't the same thing.
Agloriouscuppa
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 04 Jul 2010, 10:49

Nevrmore wrote:
Machalllewis wrote:Also using English phrases when you're not English, especially out dated ones like chap and jolly good and tally ho and lawks melordie me bottoms on fire etc etc, just makes English people think you're either making fun of them or a dick.

I agree. "old-timey" and "generic, cliche things that North Americans think British people say" aren't the same thing.

Yes I can attest to the rage inducing-ness.. I have lost count how many sentences directed at me have ended in Governor or as they always say in upbeat cockney 'Guv'nahr' or pip pip.
It doesnt help does it?

Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 04 Jul 2010, 12:19

I can safely say that I have never, and will never, end a sentence with the word "governor" unless I am talking to an actual governor, and then, definitely not with a cockney accent.

Then again, by and large I don't pick up on British, Scottish, or Irish accents other than the very strong ones. Not immediately at least. I've just become inured to them over the years (not to mention that I have a generically British/Scottish accent of my own).

I do occasionally bite my thumb at people though, but generally only for humour with those that understand what I'm doing, and would not be adverse to spontaneously acting out the beginning of Romeo and Juliet.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 04 Jul 2010, 13:54

If you had a brain, it would rattle around in a gnats ass like a beebee in a boxcar.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 04 Jul 2010, 14:42

"Folks" and "Folk" both in wider usage than they are typically used now. There are others that I'm not thinking of.

Not quite what we're talking about, but there are some foreign language words I use randomly while speaking english (the result of growing up in a bilingual household). One is that I say "What?" as an interjection reflexively in Portuguese ("O Que?"), Spanish ("Qué") and french ("Quoi"). This is especially weird as I don't know any french, where as I speak Portuguese and took Spanish in school. Most of my other one's come from Portuguese.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site

Return to “General Discussion”