The Dream Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: The Dream Thread

Postby AdmiralMemo » 30 Jan 2015, 02:16

So, after a night of watching Dix and having the LRR Destiny Clan (except Dix) and Dix's chat room trolling me about my name with me getting really pissed off...

I end up dreaming about a bunch of Runners (who I no longer recognize as Runner names familiar to me) trolling me about my name on my own server, and me getting really pissed off... And them getting pissed off about my "abuse of power" or something...

It was some sort of Half Life or CounterStrike server...

So, now, I'm waking up angry, due to my dream. :(
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 05 Feb 2015, 17:17

So two days ago I dreamt Ganesha asked me to make him a commercial about... him I guess. My dad was in the dream and was angry because the commercial would cost him a lot of money. Then I swimmed in a river with dead bodies and was really grossed out but a kind dinosaur shaped god carried me to safety. I'm guessing it looked like a dinosaur because (let's be honest) I don't know how hindu deities look like.
I woke up and told my bf about it and I think afterwards I kept on sleeping some more before waking up.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 05 Feb 2015, 19:43

Maybe it's cause you were disrespectful of Ganesha that one time.

Amake
First Video: Le Cafe

Postby Amake » 06 Feb 2015, 04:29

I had the most nonsensical, abstract dream. On one hand it involved a series of walnuts (without shells) attached to my body and connected with electrical wires, forming some kind of information network. And on the other I had the planet Jupiter in the palm of my hand and, with a strong sense of fucking up a responsibility greater than any human should have, I shoved it far away from the solar system. Not sure why I thought that was a good idea, but then I couldn't put it back again which scared me so I woke up.

I'm guessing that fear of not being able to put a thing back is because I started thinking if it turns out putting my novel online (see link below) will make it harder to get it published, it's already too late to take it back. Not that I care about the money, but there was a moment late last night when I worried a publisher might get mad at me.

But the real question is, what does all the other stuff mean? And does my subconscious really equate my novel with Jupiter?
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Robo4900 » 06 Feb 2015, 09:41

I had a dream in which I went to sleep and had a lucid dream. I then woke up from this(But was still asleep), and then I went to sleep again(Still inside my dream), and had another lucid dream.

Dreams within dreams... Clearly I need to watch inception again.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
BlueChloroplast
First Video: something on the escapist

Postby BlueChloroplast » 06 Feb 2015, 21:09

I was in a MMORPG. LRR's Morgan was showing me where the town was. HIs character was named Codpiece.

I think this comes from reading about 16th century fashion on the internet. Did you know that codpieces had pockets in them?
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 07 Feb 2015, 00:42

Does anybody else have this problem?: My dreams and memories get stored in the same indexed catagories in my brain, meaning it is not immediately obvious to me which is which. I can go through days assuming that recent dreams are memories - until I actually think about them, and assess how unlikely they are. And vice-versa.

The problem is not just of retrospect - whilst you're in a dream it feels very real, probably about as real as you feel reading this currently. At any given moment, how are you supposes to know whether you're awake or asleep?
Amake

Postby Amake » 07 Feb 2015, 04:45

Lucid dreaming techniques have probably been covered before in the thread, fantôme, but the simplest way in my experience is training yourself to recognize a certain sign or other to trigger the idea that you may be dreaming. These signs can be anything that's easy for you to remember, like for example when you see a body of water or a face you don't remember . I like to attempt to fly myself. If it doesn't work that usually means I'm awake. The key is just training your brain to consider the possibility that you're in a dream so that you can do it even while asleep.

Or you can just assume everything you see is real until otherwise proven. It's less likely to get you in trouble, though also less likely to make life interesting.

As to your first question, ironically only while I'm dreaming. My dreams often have a strange irregular recurring continuity, like if you put them all together I think I'm currently living in three or four different places, holding down at least two jobs and in one case being a woman. While in one of these dreams, remembering past dreams in the same let's call it timeline makes it almost impossible to recognize it for a dream.
"I know I tend to sound like I think what I say is written in stone, but please ignore that. I assure you I'm well aware that I have no idea what I'm talking about." -Amake, 2015
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 11 Mar 2015, 05:37

I had a weird dream...

Graham was drafting DII and for some reason, he called me on the phone for advice... I was helping him out with him narrating the packs over the phone and we were making picks together. I don't remember any of the picks or debates except one: both of us wanted Lingering Souls for whatever reason. None of this seemed strange: that Graham called me for advice, that it was a weird way to draft, that it was an old set, or that it was a set that I had never personally drafted.

But then my mom got in on it somehow with a 3-way call and started debating the picks... THAT'S when it seemed weird: first, how did my mom get in on the call, and second, that my mom, someone who knows zero about MtG, would be debating a draft.

Of course, that's when I woke up...

Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 11 Mar 2015, 12:27

I had a dream about LRRcon the other night. It was jumbled whether it was the real one again, or a hypothetical LRRcon 2, but now I've been thinking about the possibility a lot and hoping it happens. Though I suspect if it were, it would've been announced at the PAX East panel...
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 21 Mar 2015, 20:53

Yesterday I dreamt of KFC. In my dream, this particular KFC was super nice and I remember thinking "Mmm, how nice! This looks so much better than the KFC I went to a few weeks earlier" Then I woke up.
Yes, that's how much I love chicken wings, don't judge me. :(
Duckay
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Duckay » 27 Mar 2015, 16:43

I had a dream the other night that my friend won a contest to have dinner with Simon Pegg, and invited me to come along. We played the iPhone game Heads Up, which Pegg was embarrassingly bad at. Like, I think dream-Pegg was trolling us by not knowing the names of his own films.

It was a little weird.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 30 Mar 2015, 04:20

I am an older man, grizzled, and scared from many battles in the past, with short white hair and in need of a shave.

I stand upon the hastily constructed barricade that the people have erected between the cliffs to provide some kind of protection against what is to come. It is a futile but desperate effort, made by people with nothing left to lose but their lives.

I survey the snow covered hills on the horizon, knowing that they are coming and that death rides with them. And there it is, a single dark figure coming over the hill.

The people see him, stops for a moment before cries of fear and panic spreads amongst them. They are coming.

The figure isn’t alone anymore; soon the hills are covered in dark figures approaching at great speed, riding on top of great woolly beasts. The riders are all dressed in hides and furs just like the people behind the barricade, clothing that is perfect for holding the cold at bay. In fact the only one who isn’t dressed for the weather and who stands out from the crowd is me; wearing a dirty and worn padded jumpsuit who’s faded orange color makes me an excellent target for the rider’s arrows.

I pull up my rifle; take sight along the black barrel as the high tech display that would once have done the targeting is broken. But I do not take the shot, for it would be a waste of ammunition of which we have so little and it would unlikely be able to fell a single rider or beast at this range.

I jump down behind the barricade just as the first arrow passes me by, and is met by the people rushing towards the barricade to fire their own arrows back at the attackers. For a moment I expect the oncoming horde’s great beasts to come bursting through the barricade as if it was made from grass, but to my surprise they do not. Instead they stop short of the barricade; trying our defences rather than charging it.

A volley of arrows start raining down over the barricade and into our camp, I do not know if anyone is hit for my sight is set on a structure further into the camp, a structure made from metal rather than the tents the people use. I run from cover to cover as the arrows rain down; many smashing and shattering upon hitting the cliff wall. But I cannot avoid them all and several hits me as I run, but most fail to cut through the jumpsuit, and the ones that do only leave me with small scratches.

Maybe it is bravado, madness or some strange sense of sarcasm but I laugh at the situation. Maybe it is the first time in ages that I’ve truly felt alive.

I reach the structure that is now revealed to have treads and seem to be part of a vehicle. I climb up a short set of metal stairs and pull a heavy door open and head inside.

It is narrow and rather cramped and the walls are covered in equipment and devices I do not or care not to understand at this moment. Three people stand around a table containing some kind of map; apparently trying to plan for this oncoming battle, and they pay me little mind.

They are not like the people outside, but all wear worn clothes that seem to be part of some kind of uniform, and like mine; their faces tell of the hard times they’ve been through in the past.

I laugh a little and make sarcastic remarks about the situation as I pull the bone and rock arrows from my clothes. It seems to me that it is too late for planning ahead for the battle when it is already upon us.

One of the three hands me a big device with a screen and ask me to go over its information and to use whatever I deem necessary to solve the situation. The screen flickers, the result of many improvised repairs over the years. It shows me machine, the mechanical armor which I am meant to pilot and what few weapons are available for it. The choice is made and as I set out to climb inside the machine and bring it to battle I think about how all this worn out technology has failed to stop the horde in the past. Hold it back maybe, but never stop it. The horde might not have tech on its side, but it has the numbers and the strength to finally crush the last of us.

That is when I wake up, to find that it was all just a dream.
My pseudonym is Ix
First Video: Canadian Girlfriend

Postby My pseudonym is Ix » 30 Mar 2015, 06:29

I dreamed last night I was at my first day studying at MIT. It was rather... Oxford-esque, at least in my dream state. I spent most of the time trying to work out why I'd left uni in the UK, particularly given they used lecture notes I'd used at uni, and more specifically why I'd gone back two years to do so.

It took a while for it to click.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not Image it after all."
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 30 Mar 2015, 08:51

Smeghead, that sounds like the opening to an epic Sci-Fi novel.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 30 Mar 2015, 14:46

Robo4900 wrote:Smeghead, that sounds like the opening to an epic Sci-Fi novel.

I know, that is why I'm working on a story idea around it.
Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 01 Apr 2015, 20:38

Last night, I had a dream where I was Sherlock Holmes investigating the disappearance of a transexual robot.
Amake

Postby Amake » 07 Apr 2015, 08:15

I've clearly spent too much time rereading Worm, cause I dreamed I woke up in bed with Tattletale by my side as a villain burst through the window. I think probably Victor, the second-rate nazi. Apparently I was a parahuman too, since my reaction was to bounce his head against the floor like a basketball three or four times before putting him in a headlock and bending his neck until I could hear his spine creak. I asked if he wanted me to take his arms off or just break his back and he crumbled into a fetal, hysterically crying pile on the floor. For a while, I ranted about how his idiotic attempt here was nearly as pathetic as his politics, really kind of rubbing it in, and Tattletale asked "Now what are we going to do to you?" which made him even more scared, but then I woke up, thinking that I should have known it was a dream since Tattletale doesn't do romance.

It was so hilariously badass.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 29 Apr 2015, 01:39

My dream last night was that I was in Brazil in a coastal town during a Kaiju attack. The monster went away and I went to buy an awesome Lego Technic model from a charity shop and the Kaiju returned. I never got to buy the Lego since I was fleeing for my life with my friends. I wanted to tell my Spanish friend via Whatsapp about what's happening but I had no Wi-Fi signal. I also realised it might worry him so I wasn't sure if it was a good thing or not. I was also sad that he wasn't there.

The latter part would probably happen if I was caught in a natural disaster.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 29 Apr 2015, 11:50

I remember that I had a nice dream last night that was interrupted by a phone call. I can't remember what the dream itself was, though, and I'm annoyed.

Robo4900

Postby Robo4900 » 30 Apr 2015, 15:31

If I remember correctly, my dream was about me fighting a time demon for custody of one hour of my time. I woke up from the dream one hour later than I normally get up.
Amake

Postby Amake » 04 May 2015, 09:23

So I'm hunting mushrooms in the forest outside town, at night, with a rifle. It sounds like a surreal joke, but I shoot two mushrooms larger than my fist and walk through town with the rifle on my back just to feel like a big guy which is a lot more surreal to me. I've never even touched a gun in real life.

And then a cop shows up to arrest me and sort of shatters my testosterone-induced hallucination. I put my hands up, mind flooding with recent stories of American police brutality. At the station, I'm trying to sit still and answer all their questions, but I keep teleporting randomly and spawning copies with myself which makes the cops nervous and me confused as to which me is the one whose head I'm supposed to be in, but I keep all my hands up and act as unthreateningly as possible and it's more awkward than dangerous.

And then I woke up, confused and unsatisfied.
Amake

Postby Amake » 24 May 2015, 23:54

Double dreampost combo? Double dreampost combo.

So I'm playing a very strange Dark Souls mod that looks like my hometown. I die or quit or something, and find out I've somehow entered ghost mode. I float around, try to wave at another ghost image, but there aren't any gesture controls and I don't know if they see me. (It's a floating shark with a camera attached to its head, a ridiculous pun that lets you know the devs are Swedes.) I float to an area you couldn't get to on feet, and find more of the inner city, minutely rendered. I walk around in shops and business offices full of hustling and bustling NPCs who can't see me and get more and more amazed at the attention to detail. There are obvious gangsters having luxurious parties on the third floor of a building I've never been inside and I wonder if they were planning to make some sidequest stuff about this that they put in though it's unfinished or if all of this is just an easter egg for players who break the game like I did. At some point it clearly stops being Dark Souls and I'm just goofing around in this perfect world simulator, eating bread and feeling the taste, rattling the gates to a mansion and being treated as a ghost by this group of NPCs made up of a young woman and several children who have a lecture about how in this world sometimes there are these ghosts who're playing around, but they can't hurt you, and you should talk to them to let them know you can see that they are there and don't make them feel excluded because then they may do bad things to get your attention - this is just exquisite worldbuilding that perfectly explains my presence in terms that make sense to the characters.

And I'm planning to abuse my ghost and/or PC status, not to get away with doing shit to people, but to make their lives stranger and richer and maybe get a girl to want to try to kiss me when I wake up, because my shoulder is uncomfortable and I need to roll over.

But here's the interesting part: In my barely awake state, I'm conflating my control over the game world as a ghost player character with controlling my dream world to such a degree that I'm able to turn the dream back on at will. I'm relaxed, asleep, perfectly aware and perfectly in control. It's like Christmas for a solipsist.

And then, Immediately, I go "What's the point of anything?" and return to the waking world where I have things to do. I wasted all day yesterday playing Civ 5 with cheats so maybe that's what it was really about.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 25 May 2015, 09:50

I had a weird dream where there was a highway policeman who was giving tickets for bad grammar. Specifically, people who spell "lose" as "loose." :D

Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 21 Jul 2015, 06:50

I dreampt of my Catalonian friend.
I woke up feeling sad.

I don't like dreams of super awesome things, because when you wake up you feel sad.

Makes me worried about falling asleep now since it's clear my missing of him is getting a tad stronger, and I don't want to dream of them again because of the waking up bit.

I need to get better at being content with what's around me, as opposed to yearning for what's missing. This isn't helpful for that.

Return to “General Discussion”