This thread is so gay

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby The Jester » 12 Jul 2010, 02:12

You know, I had absolutely no idea that Tak was gay? I won't say I'm surprised because I've gotten used to people just being people, not saying certain things and not being what you expect, so I don't expect anything in particular from them. Still, good for you Tak. At least you've got somewhere to admit it and recieve support.. there's gotta be at least four fully gay guys and I don't know how many bi people on the forum already, and given that we're one of the best online communities (no citation needed ;D) I think you'll be allright. ;)

I actually rememer Alexander mentioning the fact that he's gay maybe a year or so ago, so I wasn't surprised. He must have mentioned it at some point because it's not an assumption I make on my own..

Alexander, I doubt that your best friend thinks you're leading her on, and probably already suspects that you're gay, although it's worth considering that she doesn't. Still, I'd come out to her at least, just so it's not a big "thing" in your mind. Also the fact that your best friend knows your secret should be some considerable comfort. ;)

Personally I hate it when parents are all "nudge nudge wink wink" with their kids, to the extent that I would want to do whatever I could to make them STFU. Still, I can't recommend coming out to you for that reason because it's a bit dumb and confrontational.
However, I would still recommend coming out to them anyway, because they're your parents and they'll still love you anyway. That's what they're there for. ;) It may take them a while to come around to the idea, but they will (I'm assuming here that they're not the kind of right wing christian extremist nutters that'd disown you for coming out ;)). Either way, good luck with whatever you decide! :)
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 12 Jul 2010, 02:22

I'm still pretty bad at reading gay people.

Tak, no clue.
Ditto, thought he was just a serial killer.
Cuppa, thought he was just British.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 12 Jul 2010, 02:24

God damn, this FORUM is so gay.

*makes sure to always stand with his back against the wall*
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 12 Jul 2010, 02:30

So, you just like to watch?
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 12 Jul 2010, 03:36

tak197 wrote:Here's a puzzle for you: one of the reasons I say I'm "insane" is that I'm gay, but I am VERY distrusting of guys.

You should be! They're only after one thing...

Sweet, sweet boy pussy.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 12 Jul 2010, 03:55

Wow, my mind.....completely blown. The last few pages have certainly helped wake me up this morning. I had no idea about any of this (except for Sarah, didn't you come out here years ago?). I'm going to have to take a while to come to terms, I just thought Tak and Ditto were awesome, this changes everything!

Well, not everything. But my mind is still blown.
Last edited by Master Gunner on 12 Jul 2010, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 12 Jul 2010, 06:30

tak197 wrote:
Arius wrote:... I would like to see two things: A game and a movie with a homosexual lead character. But done in a way where it's just a part of their personality.

Most movies with gay characters focus on them being gay as if it should be some huge thing. They never just have a casually gay lead. ...

It can't be treated as "a normal thing" in the movies until it's treated as a normal thing by society, and unfortunately, that's a long ways off still. But I agree, the media makes a MUCH bigger about gays than it needs to, but only when it's "scandalizing". I mean look at Clay Aiken and Ricky Martin. Was it shocking that they came out? No. It wasn't a big deal when NPH came out (can I say I'd hit that faster than I'd hit Ryan Reynolds?) but that's because he did it on his own terms.

I agree with this. Being gay... isn't a big thing! I don't know. It's very frustrating that it's made out to be a huge thing, and everyone views it in a certain way.

Then again, it's kind of a difficult line to walk. If a character is gay, and it's reflected in their personality, people will accuse you of pandering to gay stereotypes. If a character is gay, and doesn't "act" gay (whatever the heck THAT means), people just assume the character is ACTING straight (see also: Straight Gay. Warning! That's a TV Tropes link right there). There's just an implicit assumption that if someone isn't camp, they're straight.

Which is why I admire Neil Patrick Harris. He's not camp, he's not "straight acting," he's just... himself.

The Jester wrote:I actually rememer Alexander mentioning the fact that he's gay maybe a year or so ago, so I wasn't surprised. He must have mentioned it at some point because it's not an assumption I make on my own..

Eh, I definitely wouldn't have just come out and said it a year ago. I probably just implied it. I've never really been vehement at denying it, and I made no secret of the fact that, regardless of my own sexuality, I'm pretty open about supporting gay rights.

The Jester wrote:Personally I hate it when parents are all "nudge nudge wink wink" with their kids, to the extent that I would want to do whatever I could to make them STFU. Still, I can't recommend coming out to you for that reason because it's a bit dumb and confrontational.
However, I would still recommend coming out to them anyway, because they're your parents and they'll still love you anyway. That's what they're there for. ;) It may take them a while to come around to the idea, but they will (I'm assuming here that they're not the kind of right wing christian extremist nutters that'd disown you for coming out ;)). Either way, good luck with whatever you decide! :)

That last part? The assumption? Yeaaaaah.... Did I ever tell you guys the story about how my mother randomly espoused that if she found out I were gay she would cut my testicles off? No? Yes, that happened.

Honestly there's really no reason for me to tell them. They'd be upset, I'd get no gratification out of it. I doubt it would even stop the subtle push to get married with someone and have teh babbys. In fact, it might intensify it. Ugh.

I went through enough grief telling them I was an atheist, which they still don't accept.

I do think I'll try to muster up the courage to tell my friend, though.

Arius wrote:I'm still pretty bad at reading gay people.

Ditto, thought he was just a serial killer.

Hahahahaha.

Doesn't mean I'm not, chuckles.

No but seriously what?

Master Gunner wrote:Wow, my mind.....completely blown. The last few pages have certainly helped wake me up this morning. I had no idea about any of this (except for Sarah, didn't you come out hear years ago?). I'm going to have to take a while to come to terms, I just thought Tak and Ditto were awesome, this changes everything!

Well, not everything. But my mind is still blown.

I can't still be awesome? :(

Not like it changes anything! I'm still the strangely-dressed stuffy scientist serial killer you all know and love! Except, you'll have to reclassify me as more... Alan Turing than Nikola Tesla. Actually somewhere between those two.
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 12 Jul 2010, 06:43

I think its really awesome that people felt comfortable enough with the group in the forums to disclose with us. Also helps to make me feel a bit less lonely since for a while I thought it was only me and Cuppa. Heheh.

I felt it was important to let people know because I want to share without having to hide. I hate disguising pronouns and the like just to fit in with a conversation. It's easier being out in the open, and let's face it, lies spiral out of control very easily.

And Ditto you are still awesome and also please don't kill me and put me in your freezer or something.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 12 Jul 2010, 06:52

This thread, I can say without reservation, is awesome. And gay. The two are totally synonymous here. :D

First of all, congrats to the people who came out in this thread (Sarah I knew about already, but haven't interacted with the others enough to comment, really). Even so, hurrah for internet friends you can tell anything! :)

Second, I think I have become considerably more enlightened about being gay from reading this thread, and I am pleased to say I don't find the knowledge remotely weird. Hurrah also, then, for cosmopolitanism.

AD, I think Master Gunner meant he previously thought you were *just* awesome, whereas now he knows you are both awesome and gay. Like the thread.

...this is what we call a full circle.
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 12 Jul 2010, 06:55

aeric90 wrote:I think its really awesome that people felt comfortable enough with the group in the forums to disclose with us. Also helps to make me feel a bit less lonely since for a while I thought it was only me and Cuppa. Heheh.

I felt it was important to let people know because I want to share without having to hide. I hate disguising pronouns and the like just to fit in with a conversation. It's easier being out in the open, and let's face it, lies spiral out of control very easily.

And Ditto you are still awesome and also please don't kill me and put me in your freezer or something.

Yes apparently it turns out there are quite a few gay guys on this forum, who'd have known?

I don't really hide anything. I guess I've just always been pretty detached, in terms of relationships and the like, so I just normally don't engage in discussions about sexuality, or even who I find attractive. That sort of thing clouds judgment! It feels... out of character, for me. So I never really had to lie about anything. I imagine I am something of a rare case. Sexuality aside, I still have no desire to get married, so I can truthfully dismiss my parents' ridiculous stupidity out of hand.

Haha well thank you and you are much too good looking to kill and put in a freezer and besides I just cleaned out my freezer and dead bodies do make such a mess!
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 12 Jul 2010, 07:15

AlexanderDitto wrote:Haha well thank you and you are much too good looking to kill and put in a freezer and besides I just cleaned out my freezer and dead bodies do make such a mess!

*BLUSH*
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 12 Jul 2010, 08:01

Ditto wrote:That last part? The assumption? Yeaaaaah.... Did I ever tell you guys the story about how my mother randomly espoused that if she found out I were gay she would cut my testicles off? No? Yes, that happened.

I don't mean to laugh at the painfull position this involves, I'm not intending to be insensitive... but I did giggle when I pictured how I would handle that.

Personally, I probably would have grabbed a knife, handed it to her, and started to drop trou... Just to see if she got the hint. Don't make such threats unless you're willing to execute them.
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 12 Jul 2010, 09:40

*posts*

why are my fingers sticky
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 12 Jul 2010, 09:50

2stepz wrote:Don't make such threats unless you're willing to execute them.

Considering the nature of the threat, and the sensitive nature of the target of said threat, I think I'd rather err on the side of caution and not tempt fate too much. Sure it's likley a bluff, but just in case I'd keep my boys nice and safe when I would come out. Liek by wearing kevlar underpants.
Theremin

Postby Theremin » 12 Jul 2010, 09:52

Oh, big strong boys like you, can't even overpower your own mothers.
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 12 Jul 2010, 10:01

Moms are masters of subterfuge and sneaky tactics. Brute strength will never defeat them!

Besides, 75% of the time your mom knows that you're gay already.
Agloriouscuppa
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 12 Jul 2010, 10:05

aeric90 wrote:Moms are masters of subterfuge and sneaky tactics. Brute strength will never defeat them!

Besides, 75% of the time your mom knows that you're gay already.

QFT, my mum was like, I know dear you're not as clever as you thought.
It doesnt help does it?

Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter
Theremin

Postby Theremin » 12 Jul 2010, 10:09

"Aw, you really guessed? Was it the puerto rican guy in the silk robe I brought over that one time? Yeah, it was the guy in the robe."
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 12 Jul 2010, 10:12

one of my friends got outted by his mom because he was playing the pronoun game. She was all "why don't you just say 'he' dear... you make yourself sound slutty using 'they.'"
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 12 Jul 2010, 10:15

There was a guy that I was sort of seeing who invited me over to his mom's for dinner. I can't remember how the conversation steered towards it but she turns to me and says "So does he snore?"

Moms can be evil.
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 12 Jul 2010, 10:29

Yeah, you don't want to mess with my mom. She would do it. She can be pretty crazy sometimes.

I assume, though, that you've all had relationships. Or that your parents talk about that sort of thing with you. I never have... I've never dated anyone or expressed even remote interest in doing so. In fact, this summer was the first time they started giving me the "it's time to start thinking about getting married" talk, and I think it's because of my stupid sister. Her and her boyfriend. Everyone talks about them as though they're already engaged. :/

Anyway. Maybe they know, but they've made it abundantly clear that they don't want me to be, or don't want me to say it, or... I don't know what their problem is. But I can't see such a conversation going anywhere good.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 12 Jul 2010, 10:45

I think you'll have to weigh your options on lying to them your whole life (or at the very least until the point where you no longer live in the same hundred square miles) or risking estrangement. I'm not going to make any assumptions on how they'd react, as i've never met your parents.
Theremin

Postby Theremin » 12 Jul 2010, 10:54

Is there any real benefit to telling them at all?

Aside from 'getting it off your chest' which just seems like a flimsy reason.

I mean, they're just parents. They don't need to be intimately involved with your life.
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 12 Jul 2010, 11:15

Cybren wrote:I think you'll have to weigh your options on lying to them your whole life (or at the very least until the point where you no longer live in the same hundred square miles) or risking estrangement. I'm not going to make any assumptions on how they'd react, as i've never met your parents.

I'm 21, and I already live almost exactly one thousand miles away from them, and they don't support me financially. So that's not a problem! :P

Theremin wrote:Is there any real benefit to telling them at all?

Aside from 'getting it off your chest' which just seems like a flimsy reason.

I mean, they're just parents. They don't need to be intimately involved with your life.

Bingo. Really, it's kind of none of their business, and frankly, my parents are neither very intelligent, nor very compassionate. They're honestly not the kind of people that I aspire to be, nor do I think there is a whole lot more I can learn from them. If it weren't for the fact that they're my family, and I feel the emotion that is often categorized as "love" toward them (though this is a strange love, one that often involves lots of yelling and anger), I don't think I'd really be attached to them.

I've lived with them for a long time, and I honestly have no idea how they'd react. They're fairly unpredictable, and it often depends on the mood they're in. Actually, that's not true. My father wouldn't react very badly. It's my mother who is the problem.

Being Hispanic is tough! There's an expectation that you never really "leave" your family; "leaving the nest" is not a thing that really happens. You live with your parents/family for your entire life. Problematic!

I think it would be different if I had an aspiration to be in a relationship, or get married. Which I don't, at least not right now, and I can't envision myself ever doing so. So, telling them would basically be informing them that I fancy boys. But who I fancy is not really their business!
Agloriouscuppa
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 12 Jul 2010, 11:32

aeric90 wrote:There was a guy that I was sort of seeing who invited me over to his mom's for dinner. I can't remember how the conversation steered towards it but she turns to me and says "So does he snore?"

Moms can be evil.

I have a story like this; my ex's aunt was his guardian. She knew we dated and stuff. I had a wedding to go to and I stopped off in his town as the train was heading through the station. She popped in and said, 'Oh hi, on your way back from the wedding why dont you just stop off here I'm sure he'd appreciate if you stayed over. I'm going out to a hen party and wont be back until monday.' This would've been fine until she turned to my ex and said 'Remember to change the sheets when your done.' That turned the whole situation awkward really fast. ah memories
It doesnt help does it?

Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter

Return to “General Discussion”