This thread is so gay

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Matt
LRR Crew

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby Matt » 06 Jul 2010, 11:13

Cybren wrote:
Matt wrote:
Cybren wrote:You're claiming in one breath that people "refuse to see their own behaviors", and in another, that you don't want to make judgments on peoples sexuality. There seems to be a contradiction in play.

/facepalm

you know you are able to make relatively general statements about human psychology while attempting not to categorize people based on specific sexual behaviors, right?

These things are not at all contradictory.

-m

Except he was stating that some people were in self denial (refusing to whatever blah blah) because they perform specific acts, but then didn't wish to categorize any act later because he doesn't want to pigeonhole people for them.

If you do not see a dissonance you are a forgurgo

The statement "people often refuse to see their own behavior" is a statement on the psychology of personality, and identity, and is not only a generalized statement(allowing for the fact that not everyone necessarily conforms to this tendency), but such a tendency is also well documented in science.

On the flip side, pigeonholing is trying to place entities that have little in common into neat little categorical boxes based on shared traits.

to say "you put your dick into another dude once, therefore you're clearly gay" is pigeonholing. Saying that "people have a tendency to rationalize behaviors that do not conform with their identity and sense of self" is clearly not.

and if you can't see a difference, you're intentionally being dense.

-m

I am not angry at you.
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 06 Jul 2010, 11:16

(Matt beat me to it :P )

Many men have homosexual tendancies and experiences, which despite being perfectly natural, they do not generally admit or talk about.

However, calling all these men gay due to their actions is erroneous and constitutes "pigeonholeing".

I wouldn't say that what I just wrote was contradictory in anyway.

Cybren wrote:forgurgo

Is this a word? I could not find it anywhere.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 06 Jul 2010, 16:01

Matt wrote:to say "you put your dick into another dude once, therefore you're clearly gay" is pigeonholing.

-m

Or cornholing depending on who you ask...

Sorry, I had to say it.

Anyway, part of the problem, as I see it, is the connection of "masculine" and "feminine" to certain traits and activities and considering that going against those labels is what makes you gay. Especially when an equal number of gay and straight people enjoy those activities.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 06 Jul 2010, 21:06

That would be the case matt, were he speaking to the general. But he's not. He's mention that people refuse to admit things about their identiy on the subject of homosexuality. Implicit in that is that most straight people are homosexual and refuse to admit it. A position that requires identify specific acts as specifically homosexual, and discounts the possibility of bisexuality. I can understand that he was pointing out the truth that people often have crisis' in identity, but if he were to make a statement only in the general, vaguest sense it would border on tautological.
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 08 Jul 2010, 06:33

Boo to Hawaii! I know a lot of couples that love vacationing there that will be boycotting them now. And think of all the hawaiian shirts that will go unsold. Tsk-tsk.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 08 Jul 2010, 08:39

Why...?
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 08 Jul 2010, 08:54

AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 08 Jul 2010, 08:55

aeric90 wrote:Hawaii gov vetoes gay civil union bill

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2010/07/07/14631551.html

SHITFUCK. :x
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 08 Jul 2010, 09:11

Was never planning to go to Hawaii anyways, but this certainly puts in far lower on my list.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 08 Jul 2010, 09:35

AlexanderDitto wrote:SHITFUCK.

Sorry, but given the context; heh.
cathou
First Video: the first one on the escapist

Postby cathou » 08 Jul 2010, 11:39

make me glad that i live in canada. here that debate is over and reopen that would be political suicide for any party...
Souris la vie est un fromage
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 08 Jul 2010, 11:46

It's not all fun and games yet though. The national age of consent for anal sex is 18, which means the de-facto AoC for male gay couples 18, whereas it's 16 for everyone else (and until recently was 14...or 12 if both parties were under 14...and a few other caveats that I'm forgetting...). More importantly, in New Brunswick at least, gay couples cannot adopt (last I heard at least, though that was a few years ago).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 08 Jul 2010, 12:06

It's really going to take someone getting charged for buttsecks before anyone really does anything about it. I'm sure there are civil right lawyers just waiting for that bomb to drop... both for the case itself and the ability to say 'anal' repeatedly in the Supreme Court.
cathou
First Video: the first one on the escapist

Postby cathou » 08 Jul 2010, 12:09

gay adoption is legal everywhere in canada except alberta and yukon.
and i think getting married before you are 18 is a bit extreme. I mean, true there's still work to be done, but look at the past 20 years, and it's amazing to which point our society have evolve in that subject
Souris la vie est un fromage
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 08 Jul 2010, 12:25

Guess things have changed for the better then, though Alberta doesn't surprise me. And I'm not talking about marriage before 18, I'm talking about sex. It's a (relatively) minor thing, but still something that needs to be handled for true equality (and makes no sense to me anyways why one hole should be any different to another).
Agloriouscuppa
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 08 Jul 2010, 12:53

I came into this thread assuming I'd have to wave my pride flag and be all vocal, but this conversation is clearly educated and in no need of my services.. Carry on.
It doesnt help does it?

Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

This post is so gay

Postby Evil Jim » 08 Jul 2010, 15:10

News flash!

Tired Gay succumbs to Dix in 200 meters.

In short, Olympic bronze medalist Walter Dix edged out Tyson Gay in the 200 meter run.

But! What happens when when your newspaper uses auto-replace & has no proofreaders? [link]
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Re: This post is so gay

Postby tak197 » 08 Jul 2010, 19:25

Evil Jim wrote:News flash!

Tired Gay succumbs to Dix in 200 meters.

In short, Olympic bronze medalist Walter Dix edged out Tyson Gay in the 200 meter run.

But! What happens when when your newspaper uses auto-replace & has no proofreaders? [link]

Ah, yes, Reuters fail.
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 09 Jul 2010, 10:15

*puts his pants back on* That's is BLATANT falls advertising.
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 11 Jul 2010, 03:14

the gay image portrayed in media is usually based around white male consumerism whereas a lot of gay people aren't white and far more are incapable of affording the brand names casually thrown around like so much fairy dust. in shows like sex and the city gay men are more of an accessory, a pet, for affluent white women that use them for overly feminine pranks on their boyfriends(the trickster gay; may take the form of a coyote) or use their 'gayness' in some way, usually to gain access to somewhere or to get them a one night stand because gays have a secret network of male whores and high-tier connections in the fashion world.

gays live in lofty apartments surrounded by old fashioned pottery; they are prone to exchanging witty banter in the salon while getting their nails did and shouting 'you go girl' unironically while snapping their fingers (unironically)

have gays ever been portrayed accurately on television or film etc cause I literally can't think of even one instance but it's so terribleagh
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 11 Jul 2010, 03:23

Bananafish wrote:the gay image portrayed in media is usually based around white male consumerism whereas a lot of gay people aren't white and far more are incapable of affording the brand names casually thrown around like so much fairy dust. in shows like sex and the city gay men are more of an accessory, a pet, for affluent white women that use them for overly feminine pranks on their boyfriends(the trickster gay; may take the form of a coyote) or use their 'gayness' in some way, usually to gain access to somewhere or to get them a one night stand because gays have a secret network of male whores and high-tier connections in the fashion world.

gays live in lofty apartments surrounded by old fashioned pottery; they are prone to exchanging witty banter in the salon while getting their nails did and shouting 'you go girl' unironically while snapping their fingers (unironically)

have gays ever been portrayed accurately on television or film etc cause I literally can't think of even one instance but it's so terribleagh

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StraightGay
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 11 Jul 2010, 03:39

"add diversity" = "we've bilked this specific gay stereotype down to its last drops lets see what happens when we make the gays like 'one of us'!"

lol, okay, so they 'add diversity' by sometimes being in the closet and more than likely having a gay caricature lure him out by seducing him (enforcing another stereotype).

In some cases — especially Soap Operas — this may be because of a Suddenly Sexuality switch for a previously heterosexual character.

this is hilarious though,

*slips on a banana peel* *is suddenly gay*

hurf, I don't know, is this good or not? it might give homosexuality more appeal but the fact that we're even making a complete u-turn from one extreme stereotype to another is embarrassing and almost makes me cringe, why do gay people have to exist only on two polar extremes

Often involves a situation where, if the character didn't mention he was gay, the audience would never know it.

haha the perpetual stereotype of the 'gay' is so entrenched that it's hard to even imagine someone being a gay if they don't fit an offensive and over the top caricature

okay so I guess it goes

create stereotype -> enforce stereotype -> use opposite of stereotype to create drama/twists?
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 11 Jul 2010, 03:41

idg were you saying that there does exist accurate portrayals of actual homosexuals on television becausei'd think the first step would be to not make them all white males, the ones who are not white are usually even more effeminate because a black/latino gay that hasn't been castrated would be too intimidating to milquetoast white audiences
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 11 Jul 2010, 03:49

I wasn't really saying anything, I was just answering your question with a link to a list of non-stereotypical gay characters.

That most of them are white (except in the anime part, maybe) is kind of incidental. I suspect the racial ratios of gays on TV is probably the same as the rest of modern TV: mostly middle to upper class whites.
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 11 Jul 2010, 03:53

oh, i just saw that. thanks~

(i don't use tvtropes a lot)

Return to “General Discussion”