This thread is so gay

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
User avatar
Theremin
Posts: 7603
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 12:24
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.
Location: Bristol, England

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby Theremin » 11 Jul 2010, 18:23

tak197 wrote:
Theremin wrote:I don't mean to be rude saying this, so if I'm out of line please call me on it.

But...I totally knew it! :D


A) I thought that there was some unwritten rule about "outing" people in general. Granted this is a pretty closeknit community but it still feels like it may be a faux-pas.


Which is...why never asked him about it before...
User avatar
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
Posts: 4376
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 07:41
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!
Location: Cambridge, Massachu~
Contact:

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby AlexanderDitto » 11 Jul 2010, 18:26

tak197 wrote:
Theremin wrote:I don't mean to be rude saying this, so if I'm out of line please call me on it.

But...I totally knew it! :D


A) I thought that there was some unwritten rule about "outing" people in general. Granted this is a pretty closeknit community but it still feels like it may be a faux-pas.


I think he means he would have guessed. Didn't tell him.

What clued you in, Theremin? ("Clued you in, Theremin" is the name of my Blues Clues cover band.)

tak197 wrote:B) With regards to "coming out timing", I think it's like sharing any major decision in your life with people who matter to you. You know in your heart that the timing is right, but it's critical that you surround yourself with the people who support you no matter what.


My heart knows nothing! D: It's completely useless. I've never shared any major life decisions with anyone. Have I? I don't even know.

And this isn't really a decision. I've just gotten to the point in my life where I'm financially stable, I'm surrounded by people who are very tolerant, and my self-confidence is high enough that I can admit it.
User avatar
aeric90
Posts: 2866
Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 06:09
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby aeric90 » 11 Jul 2010, 18:32

I can't resist...

AlexanderDitto wrote:"Clued you in, Theremin" is the name of my Blues Clues cover band.


""Clued you in, Teremin" is the Name of My Blues Clues Cover Band." is the name of My Blues Clues cover band.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
User avatar
Theremin
Posts: 7603
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 12:24
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.
Location: Bristol, England

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby Theremin » 11 Jul 2010, 18:33

I can't really point to any one thing, apart from the impeccable dress sense.

Mainly it was just building up a mental image of you were as a person going by the things you said and the way you interacted with people. Something clicked and and I got the feeling that 'This is a gay man'.
User avatar
Agloriouscuppa
Posts: 1117
Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 16:53
First Video: Unskippable
Location: West Westerchesterbmingham

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 11 Jul 2010, 18:37

I find that gay men all seem to be capable of picking each other out. I certainly had hunches.

I used to always say to my best friend 'That boy, he has the gay' she'd laugh and then would test the theory if she thought we would make a good pair, this is how I met my first boy friend.
It doesnt help does it?
Image

Image


Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter
User avatar
aeric90
Posts: 2866
Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 06:09
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby aeric90 » 11 Jul 2010, 18:40

Along with the ability to dance, fashion sense, and ability to decorate someone also neglected to send along my gaydar in my enrollment kit after I came out... I'm hopeless.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
User avatar
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
Posts: 9010
Joined: 13 Mar 2007, 19:20
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate
Location: Stroudsburg, PA
Contact:

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby tak197 » 11 Jul 2010, 18:46

Theremin wrote:I can't really point to any one thing, apart from the impeccable dress sense.

Mainly it was just building up a mental image of you were as a person going by the things you said and the way you interacted with people. Something clicked and and I got the feeling that 'This is a gay man'.


I must say that I kinda follow you on this. However, before I thought "gay", I thought "this is a totally made of awesome friend."
Image
Image
User avatar
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
Posts: 4376
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 07:41
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!
Location: Cambridge, Massachu~
Contact:

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby AlexanderDitto » 11 Jul 2010, 18:46

aeric90 wrote:Along with the ability to dance, fashion sense, and ability to decorate someone also neglected to send along my gaydar in my enrollment kit after I came out... I'm hopeless.


That's OK. I don't think I really have any of those things either! :B

tak197 wrote:
Theremin wrote:I can't really point to any one thing, apart from the impeccable dress sense.

Mainly it was just building up a mental image of you were as a person going by the things you said and the way you interacted with people. Something clicked and and I got the feeling that 'This is a gay man'.


I must say that I kinda follow you on this. However, before I thought "gay", I thought "this is a totally made of awesome friend."


Dawwwwww. That's very kind of you.
User avatar
Metcarfre
Posts: 13676
Joined: 08 Jul 2008, 13:52
First Video: Not Applicable
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby Metcarfre » 11 Jul 2010, 19:29

Well, it certainly explains your extreme dapperness.
*
User avatar
OMGItsSarah
Posts: 634
Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 22:41
First Video: Offensisensitivity
Contact:

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby OMGItsSarah » 11 Jul 2010, 19:41

So, I'm bi. I recently came out on Facebook (in the subtlest way possible - I changed my ''interested in'' and said nothing), and...

Nobody has noticed.

Kind of anti-climactic, since I was expecting family members to be all WTF I THOUGHT YOU ONLY LIKED TEH PENISES! But oh well.
Image
Image
Cybren
Posts: 1497
Joined: 29 Feb 2008, 14:38

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby Cybren » 11 Jul 2010, 19:52

I think most people consider female bisexuality 'trendy' and probably think you're just after attention
User avatar
OMGItsSarah
Posts: 634
Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 22:41
First Video: Offensisensitivity
Contact:

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby OMGItsSarah » 11 Jul 2010, 19:55

Yeah, the ''trend'' is really annoying.
Image
Image
User avatar
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
Posts: 9010
Joined: 13 Mar 2007, 19:20
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate
Location: Stroudsburg, PA
Contact:

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby tak197 » 11 Jul 2010, 20:09

It's hard for me to admit, but when my twin brother came out to me, I was not happy with him, but I was also more than happy to support him. I had to talk to one of the other gay guys on the forum to have him walk me through this. The fact of the matter is, I'm Christian, my parents are Christian, I live at home with them, and when he came out to me, he was living in West Virginia.

Oh, yeah, and I'm gay too. (Also very closeted as you will read, and coming out in any form is a huuuuuge deal.)

So the reason I wasn't happy with him is that he got to be all gay and proud while I went through all of college as part of some Christian group or another and having to live in fear of someone finding out. (Then about 6 weeks later, he had to move back home, for stupid university reasons.)

Am I self-loathing? No. Am I a hypocrite? Shit no. Am I one truely fucked up individual? Yes, but for so many other reasons that make this pale in comparison.

In the end, I don't want to be seen as insane or weird, but I want to be seen as other things. Hell, coming out to my parents as a GEEK was hard enough, but it took a bunch of people to help me with that.

This is gonna be a weird request, but will you all be my support net for this? PWEEEEASE??? *puppydog eyes*
Image
Image
User avatar
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
Posts: 4376
Joined: 28 Nov 2007, 07:41
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!
Location: Cambridge, Massachu~
Contact:

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby AlexanderDitto » 11 Jul 2010, 20:26

tak197 wrote:It's hard for me to admit, but when my twin brother came out to me, I was not happy with him, but I was also more than happy to support him. I had to talk to one of the other gay guys on the forum to have him walk me through this. The fact of the matter is, I'm Christian, my parents are Christian, I live at home with them, and when he came out to me, he was living in West Virginia.

Oh, yeah, and I'm gay too. (Also very closeted as you will read, and coming out in any form is a huuuuuge deal.)

So the reason I wasn't happy with him is that he got to be all gay and proud while I went through all of college as part of some Christian group or another and having to live in fear of someone finding out. (Then about 6 weeks later, he had to move back home, for stupid university reasons.)

Am I self-loathing? No. Am I a hypocrite? Shit no. Am I one truely fucked up individual? Yes, but for so many other reasons that make this pale in comparison.

In the end, I don't want to be seen as insane or weird, but I want to be seen as other things. Hell, coming out to my parents as a GEEK was hard enough, but it took a bunch of people to help me with that.

This is gonna be a weird request, but will you all be my support net for this? PWEEEEASE??? *puppydog eyes*


I don't think that makes you fucked up, at all. I think a lot of people go through that, for different things.

And you know we're here for you, tak. I know I am.
User avatar
the amativeness
Posts: 3735
Joined: 31 Jul 2008, 19:53
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby the amativeness » 11 Jul 2010, 20:27

OMGItsSarah wrote:So, I'm bi. I recently came out on Facebook (in the subtlest way possible - I changed my ''interested in'' and said nothing)


I have only one thing to say:

WTF I THOUGHT YOU ONLY LIKED TEH PENISES!
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
User avatar
OMGItsSarah
Posts: 634
Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 22:41
First Video: Offensisensitivity
Contact:

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby OMGItsSarah » 11 Jul 2010, 20:39

the amativeness wrote:
OMGItsSarah wrote:So, I'm bi. I recently came out on Facebook (in the subtlest way possible - I changed my ''interested in'' and said nothing)


I have only one thing to say:

WTF I THOUGHT YOU ONLY LIKED TEH PENISES!


-clears throat-
OMGItsSarah wrote:Boobs are FANTASTIC.

I rest my case. :D

Also, tak, I'm totally here for you too.
Image
Image
User avatar
Agloriouscuppa
Posts: 1117
Joined: 12 Apr 2010, 16:53
First Video: Unskippable
Location: West Westerchesterbmingham

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 11 Jul 2010, 20:49

tak197 wrote:It's hard for me to admit, but when my twin brother came out to me, I was not happy with him, but I was also more than happy to support him. I had to talk to one of the other gay guys on the forum to have him walk me through this. The fact of the matter is, I'm Christian, my parents are Christian, I live at home with them, and when he came out to me, he was living in West Virginia.

Oh, yeah, and I'm gay too. (Also very closeted as you will read, and coming out in any form is a huuuuuge deal.)

So the reason I wasn't happy with him is that he got to be all gay and proud while I went through all of college as part of some Christian group or another and having to live in fear of someone finding out. (Then about 6 weeks later, he had to move back home, for stupid university reasons.)

Am I self-loathing? No. Am I a hypocrite? Shit no. Am I one truely fucked up individual? Yes, but for so many other reasons that make this pale in comparison.

In the end, I don't want to be seen as insane or weird, but I want to be seen as other things. Hell, coming out to my parents as a GEEK was hard enough, but it took a bunch of people to help me with that.

This is gonna be a weird request, but will you all be my support net for this? PWEEEEASE??? *puppydog eyes*


I will be your support on the net, tell me anything ask me anything I will answer. If it counts I'm also certified Safe Zone, a support organisation for gay and lesbian students.
It doesnt help does it?
Image

Image


Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter
User avatar
King Kool
Quality and Quantity
Posts: 5981
Joined: 28 Jan 2008, 19:22
Location: Rhode Island
Contact:

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby King Kool » 11 Jul 2010, 21:19

I have no gaydar whatsoever. You'd figure it'd come with a theatre degree.
Image
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
User avatar
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
Posts: 9010
Joined: 13 Mar 2007, 19:20
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate
Location: Stroudsburg, PA
Contact:

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby tak197 » 11 Jul 2010, 21:30

Here's a puzzle for you: one of the reasons I say I'm "insane" is that I'm gay, but I am VERY distrusting of guys.
Image
Image
User avatar
King Kool
Quality and Quantity
Posts: 5981
Joined: 28 Jan 2008, 19:22
Location: Rhode Island
Contact:

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby King Kool » 11 Jul 2010, 21:35

You should be. You turn your back on me for a second, I'll put the antidote in your cosmopolitan and BAM! You'll love football and women's legs all over again!

I'll get you someday...
Image
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
User avatar
thadivilhimsewf
Posts: 229
Joined: 10 May 2010, 16:42
First Video: intsallation anxiety

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby thadivilhimsewf » 11 Jul 2010, 22:13

tak197 wrote:Here's a puzzle for you: one of the reasons I say I'm "insane" is that I'm gay, but I am VERY distrusting of guys.


I find the two go together actually. Like straight women saying "men are scum" or straight guys hating women. We have to make ourselves vulnerable to the gender we want to sleep with--some of us mask that as anger while others are emotionally intelligent enough to call it fear. Wait till you hear me go on an I-hate-the-gay-community rant.
I have installed Linux on human communication. Glitches may occur until the wrapper for the proprietary empathy driver exits beta.
User avatar
Arius
Posts: 7228
Joined: 23 Jun 2009, 03:38
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Inside You
Contact:

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby Arius » 11 Jul 2010, 22:24

Not really my place to say this, being the sweltering cannon of machismo and heterosexuality that I am, but I would like to see two things: A game and a movie with a homosexual lead character. But done in a way where it's just a part of their personality.

Most movies with gay characters focus on them being gay as if it should be some huge thing. They never just have a casually gay lead. It's always something like "Look! They're gay and cowboys! They're gay! Check it out, gay! And cowboys!" Can't homosexuality ever just be treated as normal for a lead character rather than making it a focus of the story?

Like imagine an action movie similar to Die Hard with a gay lead. No real focus on the character being gay. He just happens to have a boyfriend in the building being taken by terrorists.

I just feel that when entertainment media makes homosexuality out to be some huge thing, it does more to instill the idea that gay people are completely different than straight. I just see it more as some people like hot dogs, some don't. They're not gonna make some movie all about how there's a man who doesn't like hot dogs.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
User avatar
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
Posts: 9010
Joined: 13 Mar 2007, 19:20
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate
Location: Stroudsburg, PA
Contact:

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby tak197 » 11 Jul 2010, 22:39

Arius wrote:Not really my place to say this, being the sweltering cannon of machismo and heterosexuality that I am, but I would like to see two things: A game and a movie with a homosexual lead character. But done in a way where it's just a part of their personality.

Most movies with gay characters focus on them being gay as if it should be some huge thing. They never just have a casually gay lead. It's always something like "Look! They're gay and cowboys! They're gay! Check it out, gay! And cowboys!" Can't homosexuality ever just be treated as normal for a lead character rather than making it a focus of the story?

Like imagine an action movie similar to Die Hard with a gay lead. No real focus on the character being gay. He just happens to have a boyfriend in the building being taken by terrorists.

I just feel that when entertainment media makes homosexuality out to be some huge thing, it does more to instill the idea that gay people are completely different than straight. I just see it more as some people like hot dogs, some don't. They're not gonna make some movie all about how there's a man who doesn't like hot dogs.


It can't be treated as "a normal thing" in the movies until it's treated as a normal thing by society, and unfortunately, that's a long ways off still. But I agree, the media makes a MUCH bigger about gays than it needs to, but only when it's "scandalizing". I mean look at Clay Aiken and Ricky Martin. Was it shocking that they came out? No. It wasn't a big deal when NPH came out (can I say I'd hit that faster than I'd hit Ryan Reynolds?) but that's because he did it on his own terms.
Image
Image
User avatar
Arius
Posts: 7228
Joined: 23 Jun 2009, 03:38
First Video: Max Effect
Location: Inside You
Contact:

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby Arius » 11 Jul 2010, 22:44

I live in the art district. I'm the abnormal one.

I'd say homosexuality is treated pretty normally in some areas. Hell, every girl under 30 is "bisexual" now.*

But movies can treat it like it's just a part of their personality rather than making it the character's sole defining characteristic.

* I do believe in bisexuality, I just find it hard to believe that most of these girls truly are.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Cybren
Posts: 1497
Joined: 29 Feb 2008, 14:38

Re: This thread is so gay

Postby Cybren » 12 Jul 2010, 00:35

I think that's more likely a case that it's more socially acceptable for women to be bisexual. Many of them probably later come to 'change their minds' more because after a certain point they're "supposed" to get married and have kids, so what is socially acceptable changes.

Were it as acceptable (and as invisible) for men to be bisexual i think you'd see similar numbers.

Return to “General Discussion”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests