Food gambles

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Evil Keebler Elf
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Food gambles

Postby Evil Keebler Elf » 09 Jul 2010, 07:06

What is the most questionable food that you've ever taken a chance on eating and gotten away with? Old, poorly refrigerated, prepared weirdly, found on the sidewalk, etc

I though of this topic as I have just fried up some old bacon. It was starting to get discolored and looking pretty bad. I figure my worse case scenario is turning in to a hampire, so I took a shot.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Re: Food gambles

Postby Evil Jim » 09 Jul 2010, 22:25

For me, in most recent memory probably undercooked eggs. I like 'em when the yolk is still liquid & hot but know that's risky. The last time I got food poisoning was from eggs five years ago & I'm still paranoid about it.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Agloriouscuppa
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 09 Jul 2010, 22:38

Never had a problem getting runny yolks with out undercooking. Dodgiest food I've ever eaten is probably Doner Kebabs from Antonio's listed as the greasiest greasy spoon in all of Manchester. It was repeatedly shut for unknown reasons but always managed to make a come back, and some nights you've been out at the disco living it up to The Wombats and such, and you'll be hungry and Antonios is on the way back to your flat, and you decide at half 2 it cant be all that bad and certainly better than whatever I could cook, so you go in; But do not go in children, lest you wish to harbour a daemon, a daemon which exists only to destroy your bowels and generate remarks on odours emitted from the toilet.
It doesnt help does it?

Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter
Ed.
First Video: Desert bus 3 (started at day 3)

Postby Ed. » 10 Jul 2010, 00:57

I once reheated the remains of the previous nights kebab
Spoilers for your life.
The main character dies at the end.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 10 Jul 2010, 02:44

Well, back in my teens, I grabbed leftover chicken that my folks had had before they left for their summer cottage. They gave me a call, and asked me to pitch the bucket they'd left in the fridge into the garbage because they had both gotten quite sick...making me look uneasily at the pile of bones on my plate; I spent much of the weekend in the bathroom.

Heck, just yesterday I spent an evening shift with some stomach cramps after what appears to have been bad mayo on my sub for lunch; not running for the porcelain throne/altar, but enough to make me crabby while I worked.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 10 Jul 2010, 02:56

A couple of the people staying at the wildlife reserve I did voluntary work at earlier this year took a chance on nyala venison that had been lying around for at least three days. And then stuck it on one of the pizzas that I was trying to prepare for the benefit of other people. Good job. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your point of view) neither of them was ill.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 10 Jul 2010, 03:23

OOoooh! That questionable sub I had yesterday; I'm gonna have to...erm, go and sit and think about it for a bit...right NOW...
frozen_flame
First Video: Unskippable: Grandia III

Postby frozen_flame » 10 Jul 2010, 05:15

Closest I've done that is without realising, was happily nomming cheese with some toast when I had a glimpse at the bottom and bam, huge patch of fungus.
"The French looked at the dining table, and saw an opportunity to have dinner. We looked at the dining table, and saw an opportunity to play Wiff-Waff." - Boris Johnson on Ping-Pong
Juliamon
First Video: I... think it was Who Watches Movies?

Postby Juliamon » 10 Jul 2010, 08:01

frozen_flame wrote:Closest I've done that is without realising, was happily nomming cheese with some toast when I had a glimpse at the bottom and bam, huge patch of fungus.

This happened to my mom as well, we'd just bought a fresh loaf of sesame Ezekiel bread (she has digestion issues) and she toasted a piece and put her almond butter on it as usual, and about halfway through she dropped it by accident and the bottom side was.. "Oh my god I was EATING that??"

Myself I can't remember eating anything particularly sketchy, usually I haven't got the slightest idea why I'm barricading myself in the bathroom. The closest I can think of is maybe a lobster roll that smelled and tasted a bit off. And I didn't get sick from it.

[edit] Just remembered today of something sketchier, I bought a breaded chicken sandwich from the supermarket some months ago and halfway through I realized it was stone cold in the middle and translucent. Now I'm not one to shy away from undercooked meats, but only when I know where that meat's come from, and with a chicken sandwich from a supermarket deli... ehhhhh no thank you! I felt a little ill afterwards, but that could have been psychological (happened last week when I thought I'd gotten E. coli poisoning from swimming in the pond that was closed down the next day, kept having panic attacks and nearly vomiting)
Last edited by Juliamon on 12 Jul 2010, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
brb, assaulting children.
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 10 Jul 2010, 09:16

Evil Jim wrote:For me, in most recent memory probably undercooked eggs. I like 'em when the yolk is still liquid & hot but know that's risky. The last time I got food poisoning was from eggs five years ago & I'm still paranoid about it.

Not as risky as you think. In order to get sick from "undercooked" eggs, you would have to ingest a fairly large amount of infected food; otherwise your digestive acid kills the salmonella off before it can infect you. And salmonella is fairly rare in the egg itself, so as long as you aren't licking the shells, you'll be fine.

My own dodgy food story is related to fowl as well. A couple years back, I wanted KFC for my birthday dinner. I ate a disgustingly large amount of it, and went to bed full and content. For a couple hours, at least. Then I woke up with what felt like a lead baseball rolling around in my stomach, and it felt that way for a couple days. I still can't eat the chicken at KFC, and that was like seven years ago.
BipsCutie
First Video: Phailhaus 25

Postby BipsCutie » 10 Jul 2010, 09:42

Evil Jim wrote:For me, in most recent memory probably undercooked eggs. I like 'em when the yolk is still liquid & hot but know that's risky. The last time I got food poisoning was from eggs five years ago & I'm still paranoid about it.

me toooooo!!! eggs with liquid yolk is THE BEST!!!!!

do dirty pints count??? my brother made a dirty pint with stuff like Cream, worcestershire sauce, gin, whisky, piri-piri sauce and ribena, so i had to down 3 fingers width of it when i forfitted the dare...
I'm like Marmite... you either love me or hate me ^^
Agloriouscuppa
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 10 Jul 2010, 11:29

BipsCutie wrote:do dirty pints count??? my brother made a dirty pint with stuff like Cream, worcestershire sauce, gin, whisky, piri-piri sauce and ribena, so i had to down 3 fingers width of it when i forfitted the dare...

I recall when I worked in Greggs, making a similar concotion in exchange for buying a mate some fags on my break since he had already gotten his, I said if he drank it I'd buy him some. He did it, I do not believe he was ill. According to him, the thing had like no taste because I added Basil and it overpowered everything.. So yea, if you're ever going to have to drink a diry pint sprinkle some basil in.
It doesnt help does it?

Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 10 Jul 2010, 12:15

Let's just say that I'm not as fond of raw meat and organs that I once was.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 10 Jul 2010, 13:18

Kind of going off what Jim is saying, there's a cake I love, and know how to make, which involves traditional buttercream, in which the eggs involved in the recipe I know are raw, and never cooked, but, assuming you're using enough sugar (a fuck-tonne, if you're curious), fresh eggs, and beat it thoroughly, it will cure the eggs, which, in this cake, which I've talked about before and is similar to tiramisu, is additionally facilitated by the refrigeration process that completes the cake. However, the first time I made it entirely by myself (for 20 people, no less) I had to beat the buttercream by hand. No one got sick, so we're off scott free.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 10 Jul 2010, 21:08

Mister Fiend wrote:Let's just say that I'm not as fond of raw meat and organs that I once was.

Raw steak is delicious. I never eat steak cooked over the point of slight coolness in the middle, but seasoned correctly sliced raw filet mignon can be fantastic! However well marbled New York strip can be just as good, I really prefer cooking that cut, however, as it goes fantastically well with the essence of hickory wood, throwing a layer of the bark over the coals before cooking gives it a nearly unbeatable flavor (I say nearly because of Ruth's Chris Steak House and its 260 °C oven, the best god damned thing you will ever eat!)... Ehem, yes, well, chances with food? ... I ate fruitcake once.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 11 Jul 2010, 02:32

I made and ate a sandwich with Vegenaise, left the Vegenaise out and forgot about it, then made another sandwich with it when I noticed it was out 8 hours later.

It smelled and tasted alright, so I claim victory.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
operagirl95
First Video: n

Postby operagirl95 » 11 Jul 2010, 08:13

Arius wrote:I made and ate a sandwich with Vegenaise, left the Vegenaise out and forgot about it, then made another sandwich with it when I noticed it was out 8 hours later.

It smelled and tasted alright, so I claim victory.

*facepalm* Nice to see you back. :)
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 11 Jul 2010, 12:12

What is it with Americans and raw eggs? When I was in Seattle there were warnings on everyone's menus about the 'possible presence of uncooked or undercooked eggs'. I mean, I guess it's a public health law or something. I eat raw eggs all the time in caesar salad dressing that I make myself - every couple of weeks, at least. No problems.

I have gotten sick over what I think was some bad eggplant once - I got viral enteritis. Sucked that it was while I was studying for finals. Another time I straight-up ate some moldy bread because I was having beans on toast and damn it, that shit is delicious.
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 11 Jul 2010, 13:00

The whole raw eggs things is especially annoying because it's not like we don't have PASTEURIZED EGGS now. Those warnings are really saying "Despite out best efforts we really can't guarantee that our staff or suppliers have handled these properly."
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 11 Jul 2010, 14:25

Gollom wrote:Not as risky as you think. In order to get sick from "undercooked" eggs, you would have to ingest a fairly large amount of infected food; otherwise your digestive acid kills the salmonella off before it can infect you. And salmonella is fairly rare in the egg itself, so as long as you aren't licking the shells, you'll be fine.

Negative. The last time I got food poisoning, my then-girlfriend & I went to a local diner for breakfast because she was hungry. I didn't order anything but stole a couple lumps of scrambled eggs from her plate. 6-8 hours later we were both mad sick with the vomiting & related unpleasantness.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 11 Jul 2010, 21:00

Evil Jim wrote:Negative. The last time I got food poisoning, my then-girlfriend & I went to a local diner for breakfast because she was hungry. I didn't order anything but stole a couple lumps of scrambled eggs from her plate. 6-8 hours later we were both mad sick with the vomiting & related unpleasantness.

The likely cause wasn't the eggs themselves, but the staff. Most food poisoning is related to the way food was handled, rather then the food itself. Did you see the eggs get prepared or is the diner known for fresh cooking everything? Scrambled eggs are something that can actually be prepared ahead of time and just reheated. At some places, they come in a bag from a factory and just get reheated at the resturant. In either case, improper storage and cross-contamination is the more likely cause.

However, unless you were an infant at the time (which seems unlikely) or severly immuno-deficient, a few bites would not have been enough to cause food poisoning. Your digestive system is pretty good at breaking down bad stuff before it can infect you. Generally, it takes a fair quantity of infected material to actually make it into your system. Also, your time table is pretty spot on...but not for salmonella (generally the big risk from eggs). Did you have anything to drink while there?

Either way, undercooked egg is generally pretty safe. Theres always a chance they'll have salmonella, but it's quite low. If you do happen to get the 1 in 10,000(varies by region/country) eggs infected with salmonella, you can curse my name as you hug the porcelain throne.

This and this site have a lot of very interesting information.

And now, on topic and less interesting: Last time I bought milk, the best before date was only a week away. It was all Sobeys had, and milk rarely lasts that long in my house, so I grabbed a bag anyway. Finished the bag yesterday, which was also the best before date, and apparently it was pretty spot on. Not feeling so good, and the heat doesn't help. Ugh.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 11 Jul 2010, 21:15

I have been lucky to not get sick from foods.

EDIT TO EXPAND: I am a picky eater in some senses that if I even suspect that something is wrong with my food, I will not eat it. When I cook, I make sure that it's cooked all the way through (except for steak, cuz I know that the bad stuff is usually on the surface). At the same time, I also believe that food has to have flavor and texture and be moist as well, so for the most part, I will make sure to let meat rest.

I think the dodgiest food I eat is brownie batter, but I know we use pasteurized eggs.
Last edited by tak197 on 11 Jul 2010, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 11 Jul 2010, 21:16

Actually E. coli O157:H7 can cause serious illness with fewer than ten cells - some sources say as few as one. Of course, this bacteria is more commonly found in raw hamburger, but other outbreaks have been associated with sources as disparate as packaged spinach, salami, milk, juice, lettuce, water... you get the idea.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 11 Jul 2010, 21:24

Evil Jim wrote:The last time I got food poisoning, my then-girlfriend & I...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. She must have been REALLY sick.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 11 Jul 2010, 21:42

Gollom wrote:
Evil Jim wrote:And now, on topic and less interesting: Last time I bought milk, the best before date was only a week away. It was all Sobeys had, and milk rarely lasts that long in my house, so I grabbed a bag anyway. Finished the bag yesterday, which was also the best before date, and apparently it was pretty spot on. Not feeling so good, and the heat doesn't help. Ugh.

BAGGED milk? wtf.. thats just......odd in the least
crazy canadians

also, never really taken a chance on foor, I check my bread before eating, dont really drink milk so I dont have to worry there. As my works rule goes, if its frozen, its good forever, thus the reason we served turkey from a year before in turkey tetrazzini
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!

Return to “General Discussion”