Inception (Home Release Necro'd edition)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Re: Inception (now with spoilers, marked on page 2)

Postby epocalypse » 10 Aug 2010, 13:51

I got you another present, and this one, is ammusing!
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Eccles
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Eccles » 12 Aug 2010, 19:37

Ok, ok, so maaaaaybe it was a good movie, but I hated the ending :x
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Aug 2010, 19:40

I loved it. :P I saw it coming as soon as he spun the top, and was silently praying it would cut without toppling. And then I heard the chorus of "Awwwwwwwwwwwwww"s.

Nice thread for your first post, btw.
Eccles
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Eccles » 12 Aug 2010, 19:45

Thanks? I didn't even notice that it kept track of that kind of thing >.>
But yeah. The top spun. It tipped a little, like all normal tops do, physics and all that. I really wanted it to be reality. I mean, who could ask for a cooler father than Michael Caine?!
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 13 Aug 2010, 02:02

I've been meaning to compose another reply here for some time, but I'm on vacation. For now, have an excellent comic which contains some nice commentary on the movie, despite being from long before it was released.
epocalypse
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 13 Aug 2010, 11:53

Eccles wrote:Thanks? I didn't even notice that it kept track of that kind of thing >.>
But yeah. The top spun. It tipped a little, like all normal tops do, physics and all that. I really wanted it to be reality. I mean, who could ask for a cooler father than Michael Caine?!

I think it is reality, but I think the end is intended to keep multiple interpretations going. Michael Caine's his father in law, by the way (Mal's Dad)
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 09 Dec 2010, 13:42

SO, just got the dvd bluray combo, and been watching it in the background while working on one of my animation final semester assignments. Cool stuff already found with the pause button (SPOPILERS):

-All these things are about the children. First, they have at least three costumes in the film: Memory/Older Dream (where they son is wearing a striped pull over), And Dream and Ending. The latter two are intentionally VERY similar, but they are notably different: Phillipa wears pink dresses in both, but in the end it's a straighter falling dress, and she's wearing a white blouse under it, and it also has a white stripe near the bottom. James is wearing a plaid button up and shorts in both, but his shorts are different colors in the two scenes.

Second, and most obviously if you look for it in the costuming, both kids are wearing very different shoes in the dream versus the end (black slip-ons for Phillipa and black and gray sandals for James in the dream, Pink converse style sneakers for Phillipa and white sneakers for James at the end.

Third, and most importantly, when able to compare the children at the two points very quickly jumping between the two scenes, or side by side, it is astoundingly obvious that the kids are significantly older by the end. This is clearest with Phillipa, who is shown standing closely next to Cobb twice in the film (one in a dream/memory and again at the end). At the end she appears fairly clearly to come between 4 and 6 inches higher on Cobb.

4th, as a side note that people had mentioned before the DVD, the kids indeed have different hair cuts in the end.

Still exploring it more, but man am I glad to be watching it again, it's great!
my personal site
Cybren

Re: Inception (Home Release Necro'd edition)

Postby Cybren » 10 Dec 2010, 14:33

The entire point of the ending is that it doesnt matter if it's real.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 10 Dec 2010, 14:41

it doesn't matter to Cobb. You're allowed to wonder.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 10 Dec 2010, 17:01

Well, yeah, of course.

But I don't really think whether it's a dream or not impacts the film all that much (if at all).
xdeathknightx
First Video: It's Magic

Postby xdeathknightx » 10 Dec 2010, 17:58

Ever since the movie I'm convinced that Cobb used the image of his kids as his totem. The other one belonged to his wife and it was made clear in the movie that you have to choose your own. So when he saw his kids and that they were older and had different clothes on he knew it wasn't his dream vision of his kids and that he was really out.
goat

Postby goat » 10 Dec 2010, 19:48

Just finished the bluray version.

Fucking. Gorgeous.

Also, did they tone down the WHUM noise a little or is that just me lacking the 5.1 to properly annihilate your eardrums with that is stopping it from sounding so good?
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 16 Dec 2010, 14:31

Watched the normal DVD version this week (blu-ray is still too expensive). I really enjoyed it, though I was expecting it to be more convoluted than it was. I can't see why people had difficulty following it. It's not like frigging Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
goat

Postby goat » 16 Dec 2010, 17:53

Keab42 wrote:Watched the normal DVD version this week (blu-ray is still too expensive). I really enjoyed it, though I was expecting it to be more convoluted than it was. I can't see why people had difficulty following it. It's not like frigging Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Yeah, I didn't get that either. I thought it was pretty straight forward. Now if you want a movie that is hard to follow, check out Primer. That movie will fuck with your head a little. Enough so that xkcd has a comic about it (bottom right).

http://xkcd.com/657/
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1

Return to “General Discussion”