The LRR wiki is back! Drop that baby and edit it!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Re: The YRR of LRR is over, but the WIKI still needs your he

Postby King Kool » 26 Oct 2015, 17:37

Why don't we try making a Aftershow section of the Checkpoint page, and see if it doesn't get too long? Maybe if we see how long an average one gets, we'll have a better idea how to address it?
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Silverfish
First Video: The Gay Chicken

Postby Silverfish » 27 Oct 2015, 15:43

That seems the best approach. It was the sort of thing I was suggesting.
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 28 Oct 2015, 15:27

I've had a bit of a thought about my Scribunto idea. I still think it could be very useful, but there are a couple of Extensions, Variable (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Variables) and Loops(https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Loops). That would give you some of the key benefits of Scribunto.

Variables lets you define variables that are specific to a page, and then retrieve the value somewhere else on the same page. Here is one example using the Feed Dump navbar. Currently it looks like this:

Code: Select all

<!--background: url(http://wiki.loadingreadyrun.com/images/a/a9/FeedDumpBack.png) repeat top #666;-->
{|style=" background: #666; border: 1px solid #a6a6a6; width:100%; margin: 1em auto; color: #fff"
|-
| style="text-align: center" |[[EpisodeCategory::Feed Dump|<span style="color:#666">I</span>]] [[Image:Feeddump-navbar.jpg|link=Feed Dump]] <span style="color:#666">I</span><br/>{{#if: {{SMWFeedDumpPreviousEpisode|{{{Episode-Number}}} }} |'''◀ ●∙∙∙''' '''{{FeedDumpFormattedWikilink|  {{SMWFeedDumpPreviousEpisode|{{{Episode-Number}}} }}  }}''' | }} &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;{{#if: {{SMWFeedDumpNextEpisode|{{{Episode-Number}}} }} | '''{{FeedDumpFormattedWikilink|  {{SMWFeedDumpNextEpisode|{{{Episode-Number}}} }}  }}''' '''∙∙∙● ▶''' | }} <br/>
'''Watch [{{{Video}}} <span style="color: #fff">{{PAGENAME}}</span>] &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Discuss [http://loadingreadyrun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t={{{Forum-LRR}}} <span style="color: #fff">{{PAGENAME}}</span>]''' <br/>{{#if: {{{Forum-Esc|}}}| [[Category:The Escapist]] '''Discuss [{{{Forum-Esc}}} <span style="color: #fff">{{PAGENAME}}</span>] on The Escapist''' &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;| }} '''Read [[{{PAGENAME}} Transcript|<span style="color: #fff">{{PAGENAME}}</span>]] Transcript'''
|}
<includeonly>[[Category:Videos]][[Category:Feed Dump]]__NOTOC__</includeonly>
<noinclude>[[Category:Navigation Templates]]</noinclude>

[[FeedDumpEpisodeNumber::{{{Episode-Number}}}|]]

With Variables, it could look like this:

{{#vardefine:previousepisode| {{SMWFeedDumpPreviousEpisode|{{{Episode-Number}}} }} }}
{{#vardefine:previousepisode|
{{#if: {{#var:previousepisode}} |'''◀ ●∙∙∙''' '''{{FeedDumpFormattedWikilink| {{#var:previousepisode}}  }}''' | }}
}}

{{#vardefine:nextepisode|{{SMWFeedDumpNextEpisode|{{{Episode-Number}}} }} }}
{{#vardefine:nextepisode|
{{#if: {{#var:nextepisode}} | '''{{FeedDumpFormattedWikilink|  {{#var:nextepisode}}  }}''' '''∙∙∙● ▶''' | }}
}}

{{#vardefine:spanpagename|<span style="color: #fff">{{PAGENAME}}</span>}}

{{#vardefine:WatchVideo| '''Watch [{{{Video}}} {{#var:spanpagename}}] }}

{{#vardefine:DiscussLRR| Discuss [http://loadingreadyrun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t={{{Forum-LRR}}} {{#var:spanpagename}}]'''
}}

{{#vardefine:DiscussEscapist|
{{#if: {{{Forum-Esc|}}}| [[Category:The Escapist]] '''Discuss [{{{Forum-Esc}}} {{#var:spanpagename}}] on The Escapist''' &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;| }}
}}

{{#vardefine:Transcript|'''Read [[{{PAGENAME}} Transcript|{{#var:spanpagename}}]] Transcript'''}}

<!--background: url(http://wiki.loadingreadyrun.com/images/a/a9/FeedDumpBack.png) repeat top #666;-->
{|style=" background: #666; border: 1px solid #a6a6a6; width:100%; margin: 1em auto; color: #fff"
|-
| style="text-align: center" |[[EpisodeCategory::Feed Dump|<span style="color:#666">I</span>]] [[Image:Feeddump-navbar.jpg|link=Feed Dump]] <span

style="color:#666">I</span><br/>
{{#var:previousepisode}} &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;{{#var:nextepisode}} <br/>
{{#vardefine:WatchVideo}} &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; {{#var:DiscussLRR}}<br/>
{{#var:DiscussEscapist}} {{#var:Transcript}}
|}
<includeonly>[[Category:Videos]][[Category:Feed Dump]]__NOTOC__</includeonly>
<noinclude>[[Category:Navigation Templates]]</noinclude>

[[FeedDumpEpisodeNumber::{{{Episode-Number}}}|]]

It's longer, but I think it is much more readable for various reasons. It is split into component parts that each do one thing, with spaces between them. It also turns repeated parts (the spanpagename bit, for example) into variables, which makes some things shorter. It also separates the formatting from the code that generates the next/previous episode, the Transcript, Video Link, etc, so you can see how it is laid out. Only the part starting "<!--background: url" generates the navbar itself, the rest sets up the variables that are used within it, so the navbar code is very simple. It seems that it would be a lot easier to copy and paste into a new navbar, retaining the basic formatting, but altering the details.

The #vardefine parts store a value for each variable, and the #var parts retrieve the value.

Loops lets you repeat the same code, or similar code multiple times. One example would be for the {{AppearanceBy}} template. It currently looks like this:

'''Appearing:''' [[AppearanceBy::{{{1}}}]]{{#if: {{{2|}}} |, [[AppearanceBy::{{{2}}}]]|}}{{#if: {{{3|}}} |, [[AppearanceBy::{{{3}}}]]|}}{{#if: {{{4|}}} |, [[AppearanceBy::{{{4}}}]]|}}

It could look like this:

'''Appearing:''' [[AppearanceBy::{{{1}}}]]{{#vardefine: i | 2}}{{
  #while:
  | {{{ {{#var: i }} |}}}
  |<nowiki/>
,[[AppearanceBy::{{{ {{#var: i }} }}}]]{{
    #vardefine: i
    | {{ #expr: {{ #var: i }} + 1 }}
  }}
}}

In this case, the syntax is rather ugly. It loops over the numeric arguments to the functions ({{{1}}},{{{2}}}, etc), increasing by 1 each time, until it runs out, and tags each argument as an AppearanceBy. The advantage of this is that it can handle any number of arguments, so any number of credits, whereas the correct version only works up to a fixed limit, currently 4. You could do similar things for the VitalStatistics templates (for each credit).

The links above give other examples of how the extensions work.

If we had Scribunto I wouldn't be intending to be much more complicated than that really. Lua is a scripting language, which is designed for short programs to automate fairly simple tasks. It might take some getting used to, but personally I prefer the syntax to template language.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 02 Nov 2015, 15:42

Silverfish, I'm really happy about this stuff, but you might as well be describing it to a dog. I have NO idea how any of that works.

--

It doesn't appear to be showing up on the wiki yet, but Daniel Davis is the Featured Article for November 2015.

Unless I'm forgetting something, Daniel's the only crew member or contributor on the wiki who has passed away.

I meant to give Daniel his own page for a long time. I saved that screenshot of him calling in to DB6 live during DB6, and that was almost three years ago. I just never got around to it. I wish I'd gotten off my ass and done it so he could know he was important enough to us to give his own page to... but I think he knew that anyway, from the kindness of the crew and chat.

Those who knew Daniel (or those who can watch the archives, I can't bring myself to right now) are encouraged to add to his page.

May he rest in peace.
a winner is you. - Ash
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Postby AdmiralMemo » 04 Nov 2015, 23:49

I noticed that there are no pages (indeed no mention at all, actually) of ENN: Rejected on the Wiki. Should I make some or do you think it's not something to be separately logged? Should it be lumped in with each ENN page it references, maybe as a separate section? Some ENN: Rejected cover more than one episode.
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

marathemara
First Video: Homo Mortuus

Postby marathemara » 06 Nov 2015, 16:48

I have begun updating the LoadingReadyLive episode lists on the wiki following the formatting of the Things on my Stream page. There are some pages, like IDDQDerp, which use a radically different formatting. Should I restructure them to match the others?

Also, while I'm thinking about it, how should I update the Checkpoint page? Should I continue to give every episode its own page, and where should I link the aftershows--from the list or from the episode pages?
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 07 Nov 2015, 01:00

I would say yes, revamp IDDQDerp, ASTC, and Book of Passwords. Also, GPLP and Video James really need an update.
Watch and Play needs both.

I think CheckPoint should still have its own pages, and the After-Show can stay in the NavBar.

marathemara

Postby marathemara » 08 Nov 2015, 15:49

Thank you!

What NavBar are you referring to? The navigation pane in the left toolbar only links to Checkpoint episodes without listing aftershows.
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 08 Nov 2015, 16:15

The NavBar that was made at the bottom of this page and several others: http://wiki.loadingreadyrun.com/index.php?title=So_Brave,_So_Default

flailsquared
First Video: Desert Bus '09

Postby flailsquared » 11 Nov 2015, 20:53

I'm getting back to updating Feed Dump, and it looks like the wiki has changed a little - is it okay that newly created pages are showing up as "Page does not exist" on the main list of episodes? It looks like eventually they turn blue/purple, but right after I create the page the link is red - even after a full browser refresh. If it's just an indexing thing that makes sense, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a new step I was missing. The two that I'm seeing as red right now are 201 and 202. Thanks!
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Nov 2015, 08:18

Yes, that is due to the "aggressive caching" that Paul implemented server-side.

MrL
First Video: Bad News

Postby MrL » 26 Nov 2015, 15:15

So Crapshots... are we still testing something or are we ready to start mass-producing those pages?
Join me on Xbox Live, I'm Lord Zirroc
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 30 Nov 2015, 06:42

Sorry for the delay in responding. Holidays and such.

Um, the only pert of it we haven't nailed down is how we're going to link to the forums for Crapshot pages, but I figure we could just link to the "Crapshots forum" page at the bottom of all of them, baked into the bottom of every page. If we wanted to change it later, we could. But with how inconsistent it is, I think that could be good enough.

If you want to start making pages, we can do that. I'll try to make up more pictures in the same size as the ones I made for eps up to 18, I think it was. We'll focus on that for now.

http://loadingreadyrun.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=40
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 01 Dec 2015, 08:21

The Featured Article for December is Christmas Caroling On Halloween.

Merry Halloween.
a winner is you. - Ash
marathemara

Postby marathemara » 14 Dec 2015, 22:50

The LoadingReadyLive episode lists are all up to date, with the exception of Checkpoint+ and LRRMTG. There are also some menus and logos missing that I didn't know how to add to new pages (Let's Nope, Adam's Gamehaus, House of Stark I think are all of them.) I will continue by updating Checkpoint+ and the aftershows; anyone who wants to update LRRMTG, feel free.
Aztren Skrimish
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby Aztren Skrimish » 15 Dec 2015, 11:57

So I have a transcript of Qwerpline Ep08 mostly done if you guys want it for the wiki. Although I don't know how to edit Wiki pages properly and I don't really know where you'd want me to put it... It'd probably be for the best, if you want it, that I hand it off to someone on here that knows what they are doing and won't accidentally ruin everything?

I figured it'd make sense to have a written out script of the Qwerpline episodes for the off chance that anyone with hearing impairments may want to enjoy it since they are based primarily on verbal comedy and the jokes will transfer to paper better than a lot of the old sketches.

Also, although it may just be me, but I thought since it is essentailly a radio show, it is easily re-performable and having the scripts on-hand would make it a little more accessible to anyone who would want to re-perform them in the future.

Either way I have it if you guys want it and I'll be making transcripts of the previous episodes as well (it'll take time) and I'll try to do the future ones too, but again, time.
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 17 Dec 2015, 15:10

I think a transcript would be great. Generally we have a separate page for the Transcript (something like EPISODETITLE Transcript, see the feed dump transcripts for examples). If you post something reasonably well formatted we can do any necessary editing. You don't need to worry too much about breaking anything, as the wiki keeps a history of all previous edits of a page, so you can easily repair any mistakes. We can move the page if we don't like the name.

For me 2 of the main advantages of having transcripts are that they make episodes easier to search for, and they could make it easier to write summaries, character descriptions, etc.

On a different note, I have a questions for King Kool. A while ago I raised the possibility of using Semantic Forms. I think you mentioned it to Paul, but I don't know if he supported it. Could you update us at all?
marathemara

Postby marathemara » 13 Jan 2016, 17:43

Here is a list of all the missing Loading Ready Live episodes that I know of (for all shows except Checkpoint and LRRMTG because I haven't catalogued those yet). If there is a better place to post it so that Ian (or whoever is uploading videos) will see it, please let me know.

Things On My Stream
* Soulblazer Ep1
* Enslaved: Odyssey to the West Ep1
* Brutal Legend Ep1 or 2
* Brutal Legend Ep5
Beej's Backlog
* Paper Mario: TTYD Pt3
* Paper Mario: TTYD Pt10
* Shadowrun: Dragonfall Ep1
* Shadowrun: Dragonfall Ep9
* Shadowrun: Dragonfall Ep16
IDDQDerp
* Papo & Yo Ep2 and subsequent
* S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with Misery Ep12
* FEAR Ep1
I, Horner
* Metal Wolf Chaos Ep1
* Rhythm Tuesday 2015-07-28
Kathleen Saves the World
*Final Fantasy X Eps. 9 and 10
*Final Fantasy X Eps. 16 and 17
*Child of Light Ep5
GPLP
* Metal Gear Rising Ep4
* Sunset Overdrive Ep4
A Swiftly Tilting Cameron
...the playlist has issues. It's hard to tell exactly what's missing.
Video James
* Modded Minecraft DW20 Ep6
House of Stark
* Dark Souls Pt2
* Resident Evil Revelations 2 Ep1
Adam's Gamehaus
* Tomb Raider Ep2
* Monster Hunter 3 Ep3
* Dark Cloud 2 Ep8
* Mad Max Eps. 3&4
AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 13 Jan 2016, 23:23

There were only 2 episodes of Papo & Yo.

AdmiralMemo

Postby AdmiralMemo » 19 Jan 2016, 20:09

Bill needs to be next month's Featured Article. Would've been his birthday, so it's appropriate.

King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 19 Jan 2016, 21:09

Bill already was the Featured Article for February 2015. We could do it again, but we could also come up with another Bill-themed article to eulogize him with.

As it is, this reminds me that I need to get the fuck back to the wiki. This combined with some other stuff, I need to get this show back on the road.

Larger post to follow once I can write it up, but for now.... Rest in peace, Bill.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 03 Feb 2016, 18:46

I picked The Cinammon Challenge, which was posted in Feburary, as an indirect eulogy for Bill.

I had an epiphany for the wiki recently. The work piles up, and I get discouraged, but at the end of the day... I can only work on one thing at once.

So, that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to start working on Crapshots. Even if I just do one a day, or just upload screenshots, it's stuff that has to be done.

Time to get back to work.
a winner is you. - Ash
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 03 Feb 2016, 21:39

OK so I am really busy wrapping up my PhD so I have been derelict in my Feed Dump wiki duties.

But I feel like something that the crew would use a LOT would be if someone updated the "This Hat" page. Because they have done so many Dumps that they have no way of knowing if a hat has been used already.

It needs to be updated so all it includes is a screenshot of This Hat from the end of each episode, along with a bunch of keywords that describe the hat. The little quips that are currently on the page are cute but don't help for doodly if you're trying to figure out if, say, they've already used a crochetted rainbow yarn toque. But if the hat had under it "Crochetted rainbow yarn toque, fan-made" or "Dancing singing animatronic seizure chicken hat" it would be way easier to just Ctrl+F for chicken to check all the chicken hats, see if it's there, and then use/not use it.

I cannot do this right now; I am too busy. Some day I will try to squeeze it in, but if anybody wants to do it, I guarantee you they will almost certainly use such a page.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 04 Feb 2016, 15:51

Yeah... This Hat needs to be revamped, possibly with some semantic data to put them in order.

Maybe I'll work on that instead of Crapshots.

EDIT: Wow, it's in better shape than I thought.
a winner is you. - Ash
MrL
First Video: Bad News

Postby MrL » 05 Feb 2016, 11:42

I've just begun making a "real" (read: standardised) list of Crapshots but I don't know where one season ends and another begins so a that column is blank for someone to fill in.
Thanks.
Join me on Xbox Live, I'm Lord Zirroc

Return to “General Discussion”