The LRR wiki is back! Drop that baby and edit it!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Silverfish
First Video: The Gay Chicken

Re: The YRR of LRR is over, but the WIKI still needs your he

Postby Silverfish » 19 Feb 2015, 09:15

I didn't have them before, as I'd gotten more involved in Feed Dump, but I have now. I've just created a template for the drafts, based on the one from Feed Dump. It covers the vital Statistics section, and you put in the date and drafters (up to 4). I've already tagged http://wiki.loadingreadyrun.com/index.php?title=Master%27s_Edition_4_MTGO_Draft as an example. VitalStatisticsMTGDraft is the template, and Date and Drafter1-4 are the drafters.

If you need to include drafters on their own, use

Code: Select all

{{DraftedBy|James Turner|Kathleen De Vere}}
which works for up to 4 people, and creates the headings. If you need just the link, use

Code: Select all

{{DraftedByPlain|James Turner}}
This works for one person at a time.

That should cover all the draft videos. If you have any questions let me know. The template is more or less the same as the Feed Dump one, with different headings/properties, so it shouldn't have any problems.

I haven't got templates that cover other MTG related videos. It seems some of them (the CC ones in particular), have very long appearance lists, which my existing templates don't cover. I should be able to do one fairly easily for spoiler cards, as they just have a date, category, and appearances.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 01 Mar 2015, 21:42

Oh, fuck, I need to change the Feautred Article, don't I?

Dammit, I'll do it tomorrow.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 05 Mar 2015, 11:11

I'm on the final stretch with Feed Dump, as I'm up to March 5 2014, a year ago. I've made notes about unusual episodes, and when I'm fully up to date I'll post the list on the wiki, but I'll just post a brief summary of the issues I've found.

There are very few episodes where we could debate who is actually host, and even then I think it's clear who is host, as one person is host for most of episode. There are more episodes where someone could be credited as cohost, as they have a brief appearance. I'm inclined to say a cameo should only be when they appear on camera. Also, we have a few inanimate "guests" (Creepy Doll, or a Vin Diesel Cutout), or occasional cats.
MrL
First Video: Bad News

Postby MrL » 15 Mar 2015, 06:14

Silverfish; I made a template for Unskippable but I don't grasp the smw yet so I leave it to you to get it up to standard. If that's necessary that is... in over 200 episodes there's only one deviation. Your choice.

http://wiki.loadingreadyrun.com/index.p ... nskippable
Join me on Xbox Live, I'm Lord Zirroc
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 15 Mar 2015, 13:48

I think the template is fine like it is. I don't think there's any point in making it more complicated for the sake of one episode that we could just handle manually. If it becomes a recurring thing we might need to expand the template to cover it.

For one off episodes that don't fit the usual template, we can have individual templates for each heading. That's what I've done for Feed Dump (Feed Dump 100, for example). I think that's the best way of handling Weekly LRR Updates too, due to the variety of different credits, some of which only apply to some episodes, such as Crafted By, or Art By, or special thanks.
MrL
First Video: Bad News

Postby MrL » 15 Mar 2015, 20:34

Ok, do you want to make G&P smw links cause as it is now they are just regular?
Join me on Xbox Live, I'm Lord Zirroc
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 16 Mar 2015, 09:05

I've added the smw links. I don't know if they are strictly necessary, as they don't change between episodes, but they might be useful. I've added Paul and Graham an AppearanceBy and WrittenBy property for each of the episodes. I've gives Yahtzee an AppearanceBy for Star Ocean.
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 18 Mar 2015, 16:47

I've tagged all the Feed Dump episodes with articles now with the semantic templates, and I've posted some potential issues on the Feed Dump. Most are fairly clear, but some you might disagree about. Mostly I've followed on from the information already in the articles.

I'm going to start looking at automating the filmographies. It should be very similar to the way I did the Phailhaus ones.
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 18 Mar 2015, 17:59

I've added the SMW Filmography to Kate's page, as a sample. Also, we should probably amend the filmographies section of the community portal, now we can generate them automatically, but only for Phailhaus and Feed Dump, as the data hasn't been added to the other articles yet.
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 22 Mar 2015, 05:18

ClayWebster has been posting spam. It seems he joined before we started approving new members.

http://wiki.loadingreadyrun.com/index.php?title=Special:Contributions/ClayWebster
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 22 Mar 2015, 09:09

I blocked that user and deleted the pages it created.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 24 Mar 2015, 12:38

Ditto had a suggestion to be able to sort Feed Dump stories by the state or country they take place in. I think that's a terrific idea. He's going to write a python script to implement it, but I dunno how that's gonna work.

I've said before that I thought it'd be cool to see the number of times certain games and companies were reported on by ENN or Checkpoint. My problem is... I just don't get this Semantic stuff enough to figure out how to implement it, which is another reason I haven't edited lately. I don't know if it'd be the same way, whatever Ditto comes up with, or something with Semantic stuff.

Welcome to the wiki, Cam!
a winner is you. - Ash
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 24 Mar 2015, 16:17

King Kool wrote:Ditto had a suggestion to be able to sort Feed Dump stories by the state or country they take place in. I think that's a terrific idea. He's going to write a python script to implement it, but I dunno how that's gonna work.

I've said before that I thought it'd be cool to see the number of times certain games and companies were reported on by ENN or Checkpoint. My problem is... I just don't get this Semantic stuff enough to figure out how to implement it, which is another reason I haven't edited lately. I don't know if it'd be the same way, whatever Ditto comes up with, or something with Semantic stuff.

Welcome to the wiki, Cam!

I'm not going to go through an hand-annotate this stuff. It's laborious and I just don't have time for that and frankly I don't think anybody needs to. What I am interested in, though, is transcripts. I already wrote the first 100 or so Feed Dump transcripts. There's lots more to do. But from a transcript, it's really trivial to extract all the words and check for mentions of states/locations. From that, I can create stats on which States get dumped on the most.

I'll try with the episodes I have transcribed when I get time (I've been swamped recently). The major limiting factor is transcription, something I was doing in a rather crude fashion before, but I'd like to try a transcription-aid tool (like oTranscribe) to make it faster and easier.
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 26 Mar 2015, 16:27

You might not need the full transcript to get the states. I think the synopsis usually includes the places where the stories happen. Sometimes they are an exact transcript of the host reading out the story.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 01 Apr 2015, 07:06

The new featured article is Graham Stark.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 02 Apr 2015, 14:57

I'm looking at the way the Feed Dump filmographies are listed. Do we need all the other information there, or would it be easier with just a list of the video titles?
a winner is you. - Ash
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 02 Apr 2015, 15:04

For the filmographies there should just be a list of titles.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 02 Apr 2015, 17:39

I've changed the filmographies to just include the title and release date. Having the release date means they can be easily sorted earlist first, or latest first. Also, it means you can easily get a sense of whether someone is a regular guest, or if someone has recently started appearing, or if there are long gaps between appearances. I think, particular for Feed Dump, a list of episodes with no other information isn't very informative.

I've been playing around with a new approach for the Feed Dump navigation template, to automatically extract the previous and next episodes. The issue is getting the colour of the links to be white, as they currently are. I think I might need to create a css stylesheet, but there might be another way. I hope to have the template ready for next Feed Dump, as I don't think the current one works well without an escapist forum link.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 02 Apr 2015, 20:29

Oh, yeah. I hadn't thought of that. We'll need to make that a non-mandatory criteria for the template.

Good catch.
a winner is you. - Ash
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 03 Apr 2015, 05:25

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by non-mandatory criteria. If you mean that the template should have parameters to specify if the date is included then I'm not sure that's the best approach. My approach has been to create SMWFeedDumpFilmography template, which just has one parameter for whoever we want the filmography to cover. If we start adding other parameters it would get more complicated to use. It seems if we want to adjust what information is included it's easier just to edit the template, or create a new template.

To put it another way, the template is designed for convenience, so you don't need to mess with the smw code in the articles, but if we start adding parameters, we risk making using the template as complicated as using the raw smw code.

There are ways of doing it, with sensible defaults, but it seems easier to just edit the template, or create variant templates, as I assume we aren't going to need to change them very often.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 03 Apr 2015, 07:06

Sorry, I was typing on my tablet.

You know how the LRR infobox has a way that you don't have to include the Escapist link because there were years before they were putting their videos on the Escapist? Like that. I forget how I did it off the top of my head. I think it's putting a "|" symbol after the first instance of the parameter.
a winner is you. - Ash
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 03 Apr 2015, 08:27

To be clear, are we talking about the SMWFeedDumpFilmography template? Do you want, for example {{SMWFeedDumpFilmography|Kate Stark}} to include the dates in the filmography, and {{SMWFeedDumpFilmography|Kate Stark|0}} to not include it (or vice versa)?

If so, we could do that, but don't think we need that. It seems like we want either all filmographies to have the release date, or non of them to, so if we want to change whether the date is displayed, we can just edit the template itself. In constrast, it makes sense for some infoboxes not to have a Escapist link, and some to have it, so the template has to cope with both.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 03 Apr 2015, 08:42

No, sorry! The Infobox thing at the bottom of the Feed Dump pages. That one. I'm sorry, I wasn't being clear.
a winner is you. - Ash
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 03 Apr 2015, 09:31

I understand now. You were talking about the escapist forum links. The template will be very similar to how the LRR infoboxes handle not having links, so if you don't include one, then nothing gets displayed. I could also adjust it to remove the escapist category.
Silverfish

Postby Silverfish » 04 Apr 2015, 13:33

I've got the new template working, and tested it on a few episodes (starting with 196, and working backwards). The template contains the episode number, and uses that to find the previous and next episodes. It only includes the escapist forum link if you include it. The only issues are that it doesn't include the next (or previous) episode if there isn't an article with the new template yet, so it can't include non-existent articles, and also it seems to need a refresh sometimes.

I'll do the rest of the articles later.

Return to “General Discussion”