How hot is it where you are?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
falconknight06
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Re: How hot is it where you are?

Postby falconknight06 » 28 Jul 2010, 18:36

Ottoman wrote:
Master Gunner wrote:No thermometer, too lazy to check, but until recently: damn hot.
Yeah. Anything above 25° is too hot.

Unfortunately, that means most of the summer here in NY State; except for the heat wave in which I nearly died, it's been between about 25° and 30° during the day.

Also, if you don't use Celsius, kill yourself. (And did you never take a high school science class?)

As a scientist, I must make it known that Kelvin is the scale I've used the most. I also feel the need to point out that the Fahrenheit scale is technically a more accurate scale as there are 180 degrees between freezing and boiling compared to Celsius' 100 degree seperation.
Actually 3 falcons in a trench coat
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 28 Jul 2010, 19:38

It's been in the 90s here, and I have had to work with a broken A/C at my store, so our AVERAGE temperature is about 80-84 F. And it's also humid.

What makes this worse is that we have customers who come up to us and say, "Um, I think your A/C is broken." The past two weekends I've been very close to smacking said customers in the face with a bottle of cologne.

"Seriously, fucktard? You think our A/C is broken? No, I'm just a 25 year old guy going through FUCKIN MENOPAUSE AND HAVING HOT FLASHES! That explains why I am sweating like your whore of a mother in church. Now either buy something or GTFO."

Of course, if I did say that, I'D be the one with the problem.
Dempsas
First Video: ss

Postby Dempsas » 28 Jul 2010, 19:58

Today outside it was about 10 C but now the suns has gone behind the hills its about 3 C.

Inside its freezing NZ is notorious for poorly insulated houses... Ours is one of the better ones. And its a scarfie flat <- Otago students we are NZ renowned for living in horribly cold and shitty living conditions. This year we got a lovely flat but its still cold allot of the time
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 28 Jul 2010, 20:02

I think we'd all want to change with you, Demp. But only for like a day, then we'd be bitching about how freakin cold it is.
octopimpostor
First Video: Halo

Postby octopimpostor » 28 Jul 2010, 20:09

i dont' find the 80s to be hot. on a good day my room goes all the way down to 85. mostly humming around 90-92.
My total fail count: 6
Dubious_wolf wrote:
octopimpostor wrote:My total fail count: 7...8

[/quote]
Link to my desert bus video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGrIfi2ORK8
my other video that will soon be a series is here. REAL VIDEOGAME CHARACTERS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj2T7wIymsk
Chuckles
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby Chuckles » 28 Jul 2010, 20:28

Thursday looks like 25 - 29 (C). But also looks like scattered thundershowers. Boo.

Projected temperature for Friday, though is 22 - 25. Overnight low looks like it might go as far as 10.

Who has two thumbs and is leaving all the windows in his house open?

THIS GUY.
"Flat beer or a lumpy mattress. Take your pick."
"I'd prefer a flat mattress."
"Hmm.. Well, it could be done.. If I take the lumps out of the mattress, and put them in the beer, you'd have a flat mattress and a lumpy beer!"
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 28 Jul 2010, 20:41

tak197 wrote:It's been in the 90s here, and I have had to work with a broken A/C at my store, so our AVERAGE temperature is about 80-84 F. And it's also humid.

What makes this worse is that we have customers who come up to us and say, "Um, I think your A/C is broken." The past two weekends I've been very close to smacking said customers in the face with a bottle of cologne.

"Seriously, fucktard? You think our A/C is broken? No, I'm just a 25 year old guy going through FUCKIN MENOPAUSE AND HAVING HOT FLASHES! That explains why I am sweating like your whore of a mother in church. Now either buy something or GTFO."

Of course, if I did say that, I'D be the one with the problem.

I see this one has never worked in the summer cutting pizzas... less than two feet away from an open air oven.
Agloriouscuppa
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 28 Jul 2010, 20:50

Today was the first time since I arrived in America that it was below 30. It was 23 today, the day before that it was 38, and pretty much around that for the 2 weeks prior.
It doesnt help does it?

Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 28 Jul 2010, 21:02

I work outside doing manual labour in the 100 degree weather, so all you people making sadfaces about not having A/C need to sit quietly behind your fans and keyboards :P
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 28 Jul 2010, 21:07

I generally don't mind working in hot conditions (or being tired, or hungry, or having to deal with stupid people). Not my time.
Ergo
First Video: Pimp My Chair

Postby Ergo » 29 Jul 2010, 01:17

It's bloody freezing here. In fact it's been a consistently cold winter generally (by local standards, of course). I think ~10 C is the highest I've seen it over the past couple of months.

And since this was the perfect time to be renovating - we currently have no roof insulation. I am rugged up.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 29 Jul 2010, 04:51

See my location. That's how hot.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Dempsas
First Video: ss

Postby Dempsas » 29 Jul 2010, 05:00

tak197 wrote:I think we'd all want to change with you, Demp. But only for like a day, then we'd be bitching about how freakin cold it is.

As I would like to swap with you guys.. :D maybe more than a day though, as long as I can go swimming in the lake I'm good
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 29 Jul 2010, 05:22

falconknight06 wrote:
Ottoman wrote:
Master Gunner wrote:No thermometer, too lazy to check, but until recently: damn hot.
Yeah. Anything above 25° is too hot.

Unfortunately, that means most of the summer here in NY State; except for the heat wave in which I nearly died, it's been between about 25° and 30° during the day.

Also, if you don't use Celsius, kill yourself. (And did you never take a high school science class?)

As a scientist, I must make it known that Kelvin is the scale I've used the most. I also feel the need to point out that the Fahrenheit scale is technically a more accurate scale as there are 180 degrees between freezing and boiling compared to Celsius' 100 degree seperation.

Sorry no.

As a scientist I hope you know the difference between accuracy and precision. Fahrenheit could be considered a more precise scale but it is not any more accurate than any other way of measuring temperature including Kelvin and electron volts. Saying one temperature scale is more precise than another is a bit silly since you can always use fractions of what ever units you are using. How often do you need to know the temprature to with half a degree anyway?

It is a 12 C in Melbourne but it feels colder than that. Like in New Zealand insulation is a foreign concept in Australia and central heating is far from universal.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 29 Jul 2010, 05:38

Low twenties, high teens, and it has been for weeks. Been a good summer so far, though it hasn't rained in weeks. Which is strange, seen as I am...In England
Keelah Se'lai
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 29 Jul 2010, 06:49

It has been in the high eighties for a while, but we've had some nice mid-70s days.

My AC is broken in the opposite way of the rest of yours, it keeps getting too cold, even when I tell the controller to turn it off. I keep having to open and close windows to control the temperature.
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 29 Jul 2010, 07:09

I think the heatwave is over now, but it's still humid as fuck. I wish humidity was a person so I could stab it in the neck. AND we had water restrictions for an extra week because fucking Potomac had to burst a god damn water main TWICE!
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 29 Jul 2010, 07:12

Sometimes the humidity is so bad, you really could stab the air, and the knife would just stick there. . .
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 29 Jul 2010, 07:47

Yeah, that was yesterday. It was so humid it felt like I could swim swim to the store.

Today is much nicer, though. 22...supposed to get a bit humid later, but even then it won't be bad. I'm such a wuss about summer. Freezing winter doesn't bother me that much, but as soon as I it gets above 30, I'm sweating like a BP exec at an environmentalist rally.
Vohn_exel
First Video: commodoreHUSTLE 04 - Fixer

Postby Vohn_exel » 29 Jul 2010, 08:25

It's actually not been too bad here in Texas lately. It's only supposed to get up to 103 F here during the weekend, considering it's just now August thats a pretty good record compared to a few years ago, especially since the rest of the week has been in the nineties. Maybe if we're lucky it'll be less then 70 degrees Christmas day this year.
The Square Root of Nine is Three!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 29 Jul 2010, 08:37

It's always hot where I am.
thatlaurachick
First Video: Unskippable: Devil May Cry

Postby thatlaurachick » 29 Jul 2010, 11:25

oy I thought that stopped when men got married. *sigh* (luv ya metcarfre)

Eh, it's been low 90's F ( 32-33 C) for a month and the foreseeable future. Luckily, with the help of thermal drapes, I can keep my apt at 80-82F (28C) without using the A/C and just be naked most of the time. I love living alone.
I want a Pinkie launcher.
falconknight06
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby falconknight06 » 29 Jul 2010, 12:20

Lord Chrusher wrote:
Sorry no.

As a scientist I hope you know the difference between accuracy and precision. Fahrenheit could be considered a more precise scale but it is not any more accurate than any other way of measuring temperature including Kelvin and electron volts. Saying one temperature scale is more precise than another is a bit silly since you can always use fractions of what ever units you are using. How often do you need to know the temprature to with half a degree anyway?

It is a 12 C in Melbourne but it feels colder than that. Like in New Zealand insulation is a foreign concept in Australia and central heating is far from universal.

I feel like an idiot right now. You're right, I meant precise, not accurate and all I meant by the comment was that not knowing Celsius when you live in the states should not be a death worthy crime. I apologize for sounding like an a** though. I didn't mean to.
:oops:
Actually 3 falcons in a trench coat
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 29 Jul 2010, 12:36

the way i always remember the conversion from f to c is this

32°F=0°C
-40°C=-40°F (really futzing cold transcends unit conversion)
72°F(units)=40°C(units)
72/40=18/10=1.8
1°C=1.8+32°F
20°C=68°F
30°C=86°F
40°C=104°F

Raised in the US and Europe, and having a lot of European friends growing up, I got pretty good at doing this on the fly. You can derive this all from looking at a conversion chart. Just remember that its 1.8+32, or, like my mnemonic, -40° is the same in both, and 32 in F is 0 in C. It works for me.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 29 Jul 2010, 13:16

Trying to learn the metric system by using conversion charts isn't necessarily the best way. I've found that it help to use less precise but more intuitive comparisons, and guesstimate in metric rather than converting from Imperial.

Some situations require exact conversions, of course, but to really get a feel for metric it's best to dive right in. In fact, there was a handy-dandy xkcd strip about this very topic. (Apologies to that guy who hates xkcd [except not really].)
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.

Return to “General Discussion”