Wireless router recomendations

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Wireless router recomendations

Postby Metcarfre » 29 Jul 2010, 15:30

So, we've been without wireless since we moved to Vancouver. Thats... like, three months or so. During my unemployment I tried to resurrect our two different routers (one D-link WBR-1310 or 2310, the other some type of cheap Cisco) unsuccessfully.

So, now that we've got money, we're looking at getting a new one. I literally know nothing about the subject, so anything you can recommend would be great. Some stats;

- We live in a good-sized, 2-bedroom apartment (single level)
- Uses; two Mac laptops, one of which is a 2008-era Macbook, the other an end-of-the-run iBook.
- Getting the new XBox Slim, with 'N' rated wireless receiver; doubt I'll do wireless gaming, but you never know.
- Something with a reasonable setup, good reputation, and decent customer service would be a Godsend.

My dad (a committed Applephile) keeps pushing me to get an Airport router... but I'm not that much of a Mac addict.
Matt
LRR Crew

Re: Wireless router recomendations

Postby Matt » 29 Jul 2010, 15:42

go to a computer shop, and ask the tech to suggest something.

Probably a standard wireless b/g router will do, maybe an n if you have anything that can use it. single level 2BR apt, you won't need a signal booster or anything like that.

You're looking for a pretty vanilla, basic router.

As far as customer service is concerned, good luck. Virtually every computer product I've ever experienced has been made in taiwan and had their service essentially in taiwanese or some engrish variant.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Agloriouscuppa
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Agloriouscuppa » 29 Jul 2010, 15:55

Linksys WRT54G is quite simply the best router I've ever used. Its stable, it has both ports for CAT5 or Wireless capabilities, its easy to set up, use and the signal it puts out is good. It's a wee bit more than a basic router but is well worth it. It was recommended to me by a friend and basically everyone I've ever spoken too whos used it has had little to complain about.

My old router was going up and down all the time after a few months I'm still on my first WRT54G model after 5 years which I think is a pretty good deal.

Yeah I know to much about my router but I'm a PC Gamer and you have to know what your hardware is.

Newegg has them as does just about every retail place ever
It doesnt help does it?

Shameless Deviant Art plug... Twitter
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 29 Jul 2010, 15:57

Anything by netgear or linksys
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 29 Jul 2010, 16:28

Don't listen to Matt; you don't want some pathetic, piece of shit router that will be obsolete within a few years. Definitely get a decent one, with n capability.

The Airport Extreme is super nice (it's what I use), and it's even IPv6-compatible, but it may be a bit pricey. I'm sure you can get something pretty much equivalent, just not as shiny, for less. Still, if price isn't an issue, it would be a good investment. EDIT: and it would integrate pretty much seamlessly into your network, since you're already using Apple hardware.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 29 Jul 2010, 16:34

You pretty much can't go wrong with a decent Linksys, I too have had good experiances with the WRT54G. Right now my house uses a Firebox router I think, which is overkill in anything outside of a business setting, and isn't that good anyways.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
far_wanderer
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby far_wanderer » 29 Jul 2010, 17:50

I had a Linksys back at home with my parents, and it worked quite well. The occasional times something went wrong I was able to puzzle my way through to fixing it by myself, so that was pretty nice.
Now in my own apartment I have a Netgear which has also been working out very well. However, nothing has yet gone wrong with it, so I can't advise you on whether or not it's as easy to fix.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 29 Jul 2010, 19:08

linksys + ddwrt(or tomato)= ftw
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 29 Jul 2010, 20:29

I had a Linksys WRT54G and I have had no problem with it.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 29 Jul 2010, 23:56

Honestly, never have had a problem with my AEBS. Would recommend.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 30 Jul 2010, 03:38

Lord Chrusher wrote:I had a Linksys WRT54G and I have had no problem with it.

Having had three routers in my life the Linksys WRT54G is the best I've had and I'll use it until it dies. We live on the 5th floor with a view of the pool and occasionally I manage to get poor signal strength by the pool even though the router is 8 feet from the wall. Pretty sweet.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 30 Jul 2010, 05:42

I'd say the WRT54G, but it will die after a few years. Especially if you do p2p, or lots of online gaming.

DD-WRT firmware compatability is a must have, as it makes whatever router you get not suck.

Currently, I'm using an Asus RT-N16. It's without a doubt the best router i've ever used.

It has B/G/N wireless, it has gigabit ethernet, it has more processing power, and the same ammount of ram as my old pentium 3 computer. (450mhz, 128MB)

You can buy them online for around 90 bucks, + tax, shipping, etc.

But since you're in vancouver, i'd just order it from ncix, price match them down, and pick it up in store. Cheap cheap.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 30 Jul 2010, 19:15

Linksys is one of the best routers my family has bought, because it's good-quality and affordable, but also VERY user-friendly. They have software that will walk you through each step for an "easy link" connection.
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 30 Jul 2010, 19:27

gcninja wrote:linksys + ddwrt(or tomato)= ftw

This. Although if fooling around with that stuff isn't your thing, just the Linksys without any special firmware is good.

Return to “General Discussion”