The Mixed Emotion Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Re: The Mixed Emotion Thread

Postby Vigafre » 29 Dec 2010, 08:02

So, my niece just had a baby, which is great and all, but I'm conflicted about it (which is why I'm posting here, of course).
She's not married, she's currently in college, and this is her second kid. She's only 20.

I dunno. I guess I just feel that she's going to end up as one of those stereotypical single mothers (not to insult the father, I'm just worrying).
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 07 Jan 2011, 08:51

Was just mixing a new batch of bread dough. That's cool, and it looks really nice (I'm also hoping it tastes really nice, too ;)).

However, it was super stiff, and I was using a hand mixer... which has resulted in really stiff and sore forearms. :P

More on this story as it progresses (though probably in the win thread. :D).
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 07 Jan 2011, 16:28

So I got a B and probably two. This doesn't bode well for my GPA. My mother's been making a fuss about how it means I won't be able to transfer to UCB. And she's probably right. BUT I was checking out the UC system as a whole and saw the TAG program; if I go to a CCC (which I do) and get a GPA of 3.0 or better (easily done) and get the IGETC requirements out of the way (was doing so anyway), I'm pretty much guaranteed admission to some of the UCs. Back when I was first looking at colleges, I liked the look of UCSD, and that's one of them. Sweet. So I go down to tell her. Her IMMEDIATE reaction on learning that my future isn't as jeopardized as she's been claiming is to tell me that San Diego doesn't have a very good English program. Her second is to tell me that since I wouldn't be able to live at home like I would with Berkeley, I'd have to pay a lot more and take out loans and do work study and all that. She can't even accept that this is a good thing. She just starts asking me what about UCSD appeals to me so much and just won't- Why is nothing ever good enough? Gods, I don't want to be here.I don't want to be here. I don't want to be here. I hate this.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 07 Jan 2011, 16:44

@Fayili - Remind her that it's YOUR student loans, YOUR workstudy... and that going to UCB isn't cheap either. UCSD has perks... but so does UCSB, UCD...

Also... why do I know so much about California schools being from Missouri? Gah.

Oooh! I know. Come to Mizzou. They have a great english/journalism program... it's its significantly cheaper to live here than Cali. You're just trading EarthQuakes for Tornados.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 07 Jan 2011, 16:53

Right, so she comes up ostensibly to make things better and ends up basically implying that this is a stupid decision and I'm fucking up my life because the college I go to will vitally impact my whole future despite the fact that I want to be a fucking copy editor and it's not that hard to do with an English degree from everywhere. And because I'm crying, she asks why I'm making such a big deal about this and how I'm able to talk to anyone about financial matters at all. And tells me that I'd better not do this around James or I'll scare him off. She also tried to pin every argument we've had and how much I hate being here based on all the disparaging comments she makes on me. That it's all my fault. Despite the fact that most people I know get annoyed by her and my stepdad, the mediator, is frequently on my side about this, and he is known to be impartial and rational.

FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING BITCH GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT

Edit @2stepz: I visited UCD when I was first looking at colleges 'cuz my stepsister wanted to go there, and I *really* didn't like it. Also, while I know a few people going to UCSB, I hear a lot about what a party school it is, and I don't think I'd really enjoy it. Or the location.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

The Jester

Postby The Jester » 07 Jan 2011, 17:34

Your Mum sounds like a crazy bitch (sorry for any offence) and like maybe she's taking out her frustrations about her choices on you. This is a crackpot analysis based on very little information. Take from it what you want. :P

Also; I can't wait for you to be out of an environment that makes you so unhappy, since it would so clearly make you more happy than sad. :?

[Happy thoughts~!] ;)
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 07 Jan 2011, 18:34

Struggling to not hate girlfriend's mother. Want her to like me. Grah. But she makes the poor girl so upset. :/
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 07 Jan 2011, 18:48

2stepz said it, it's YOUR loans and YOUR financial future and YOUR decision of schools and location. And maybe you should remind her that MOST people DO move away to go to college and get loans. This isn't a foreign concept.
Are you going to better off financially at home? Probably. Are you going to be able to study and concentrate and get good grades with her breathing down your neck and judging every move you make and making you this upset? Probably not. Sometimes a financial blow is worth sanity and will in fact help you in the future.

Also, men in love aren't scared off by tears. Boys in lust are. And I think you've got yourself a level headed man who loves you.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
I X

Postby I X » 07 Jan 2011, 18:53

TheRocketSiobhan wrote:Also, men in love aren't scared off by tears. Boys in lust are. And I think you've got yourself a level headed man who loves you.

I had literally just IMed this:
I wrote:I love you. You crying won't ever scare me off, OK?

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

-Graham Stark
LoNinjaSword
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby LoNinjaSword » 07 Jan 2011, 18:57

I have a cold, but I get to play Minecraft.
Last edited by LoNinjaSword on 16 Jan 2011, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 07 Jan 2011, 19:02

TheRocketSiobhan wrote:2stepz said it, it's YOUR loans and YOUR financial future and YOUR decision of schools and location. And maybe you should remind her that MOST people DO move away to go to college and get loans. This isn't a foreign concept.
Are you going to better off financially at home? Probably. Are you going to be able to study and concentrate and get good grades with her breathing down your neck and judging every move you make and making you this upset? Probably not. Sometimes a financial blow is worth sanity and will in fact help you in the future.

and a large part of going to uni is getting the experience of living away from home in a controlled environment where everyone else is in the same position. Leaving home after uni and plunging straight into the big wide world is a hell of a big step. the Financial burden might be a drag, but the experiences you gain from living away from home for the first time are invaluable.

Also partying and having fun is a very important part of uni; much of which you might miss if you're living at home.

@Sword you'll work something out in terms of a career. Who cares if the money isn't great? Getting a job you love is far more important. School does begin to get to be a drag towards the end of it, you've just got to focus on the end goal and get your head down. Not much fun, but it has to be done unfortunately.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 07 Jan 2011, 22:15

PROGRAM_IX wrote:I had literally just IMed this:

Every tear is just added lubricant. You'd be suprised how easily sobs turn to thrusts.
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 08 Jan 2011, 02:43

Fayili wrote:So I got a B and probably two. This doesn't bode well for my GPA. My mother's been making a fuss about how it means I won't be able to transfer to UCB. And she's probably right. BUT I was checking out the UC system as a whole and saw the TAG program; if I go to a CCC (which I do) and get a GPA of 3.0 or better (easily done) and get the IGETC requirements out of the way (was doing so anyway), I'm pretty much guaranteed admission to some of the UCs. Back when I was first looking at colleges, I liked the look of UCSD, and that's one of them. Sweet. So I go down to tell her. Her IMMEDIATE reaction on learning that my future isn't as jeopardized as she's been claiming is to tell me that San Diego doesn't have a very good English program. Her second is to tell me that since I wouldn't be able to live at home like I would with Berkeley, I'd have to pay a lot more and take out loans and do work study and all that. She can't even accept that this is a good thing. She just starts asking me what about UCSD appeals to me so much and just won't- Why is nothing ever good enough? Gods, I don't want to be here.I don't want to be here. I don't want to be here. I hate this.

My mother is very much the same, (my big sister too for that matter ... UGH!) not as bad as yours I will admit, but she has a way of always seeing the negative in situations. When things have gone well for me she always has something to complain on, or poke at. When I went to school she'd poke at everything that I did or didn't do that she didn't consider good enough, which would frustrate me to the ends of the earth, because it made me feel so bad, gave me alot of anguish, I never felt good enough, it wasn't made better by the fact that through out the end of my edjucation (the necessary one in Sweden) I was depressed.

Just remember this, mothers fuss that way because they care about you achieving what you want to in life, her telling you about the loans, having to get a job, and not complimenting you on your research and good fortune is her worrying .. yes, I know, my mother likes declaring me an idiot by warning me about how much it costs to have your own place, but it's just because they worry, and don't want you falling on your ass and getting hurt by it. Of course even our parents have their faults, we all do ... in my family I most often speak to my boyfriend or to my father when I have any emotional issues ... of course I've spoken to my mum too, and sometimes she actually replies in a way that I like (not because she agrees with me, but because she seems to take me seriously) and sometimes she acts like I'm a dumbass.

What I'm trying to say is that I can understand how frustrating it is to be treated that way, and I can recognice the arguements that you have with your mother as the ones that I've had with my own. Remember that she does care, that's why she acts that way, no matter how hard it is to believe, and if you feel like it's just too much then just remember to get support from your boyfriend and father as often as you can.

It's YOUR life at the end of the day, do what you want, your mother, like mine, seems like the type that always are gonna find something to complain on .. In the end I bet she wants you to go to that College that's closer because she wants to be able to keep an eye on you and make sure you're alright.

Just hang in there, okay? And do what YOU want to with your life, no matter what your mother says. Don't let her push you into things you don't want to do, or to do things her way, do it your way and enjoy it, no matter what. ^^
Hurp-De-Durp!
goat

Postby goat » 08 Jan 2011, 08:31

Theremin wrote:
PROGRAM_IX wrote:I had literally just IMed this:

Every tear is just added lubricant. You'd be suprised how easily sobs turn to thrusts.

Orly?

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110106/ ... 011.2.html
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
I X

Postby I X » 08 Jan 2011, 08:34

Buuuuuuuuuurn.

-Graham Stark
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 08 Jan 2011, 09:35

However some would be turned on by the lack of arousal to compensate. So it all works out in the end.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 13 Jan 2011, 22:02

Once again my life is fraught with indecision. And when I'm stressed out I make lists! Here we goooooooo!

I need to iron out my living arrangements for next year.

I have two main options: find a place for my friend and I to live, or live with Dreamer.

Pros to living with my friend:
1. Do not have to inform her she no longer has a roommate.
2. Probably going to be a lot more quiet than a house with 6 people in it. (I need silence to study)
3. Get my own damn room.
4. Space and sleep.

Cons to living with my friend:
1. Potentially far from Dreamer's house.
2. More expensive ($200 - $300 more per month)
3. Less potential for social interaction (1-2 people vs 5 people)
4. Have to inform her that she no longer has a roommate.

I don't know what to do. All of my life-changing decisions have been put on hold at the moment because although people can recommend things, no one can make these decisions but me. However, I don't even know what I want to do, or go, or what I'm doing with my life, or what's better for me, or what matters more in the long run, or where anything is going ever.

Similar significant and quickly-approaching decisions:

a) Do I change schools or not?

Pros:
1. Assholes/friends more likely to stop making fun of me.
2. More money for upper-year research (which I have to do anyway)
3. More/better clubs.
4. Motherfucking pedestrian bridges.
5. Potential for a sense of relief about where the hell my life is going. (unlikely, I know)
6. Generally better reputation.
7. Demographic more compatible with mineself.

Cons:
1. I'm already here.
2. I like 98% of my profs so far.
3. Have to take Physics.
4. Have to take goddamn math courses of goddamn goddamnedness.
5. Costs goddamn $200 to apply.
6. Potential pain from rejection.
7. Marks most likely destroyed, potential for grad school possibly diminished.

b) Do I change majors?

Pros:
1. More likely to get a job with a different science degree.
2. More interesting requirements.
3. More likely to get a job related to the field.

Cons:
1. Have to take goddamn motherfucking Physics!
2. Other degree has greater job variety.
3. Don't think I could handle just one stream of science.
4. Goddamn 4th year research in a topic I don't enjoy researching.

I seem to swear a lot when I'm tired.

Anyway the stuff after the housing issue is more just generic silliness (except the pedestrian bridges ... I never joke about pedestrian bridges), though they are questions in my life at the moment.

However, the housing issue is at the forefront atm.

Please give me advice. I need assurance that I'm making the right decision.

Also to whom it may concern: Alright, alright, I'm going to bed now. Sheesh.
Deedles

Postby Deedles » 15 Jan 2011, 01:58

Yesterday when I came back from my lessons and logged onto my WoW account to do dailies I realised, as I got onto teh character screen, that I had been hacked.

Funnily enough it didn't bother me much, even less once I'd changed my password (on my boyfriends computer), and sent in a ticket to a GM ... Especialy after I got all of my stuff back WITHIN an hour, which also means that the person responsible will of gotten traced and banned.

Mixed emotions because it feels strange to actually of been hacked, but I find how easily it was resolved, and how much that hacker failed, hilarious. =]
Hurp-De-Durp!
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 15 Jan 2011, 06:22

I keep getting e-mail alerts of "suspicious activity" from a source that claims to be Blizzard. I clicked on the link once and my browser said it was trying to take me to a "reported attack site" and then when I followed my own link and logged in everything seemed fine.

Except, I keep getting the e-mails, and now I can't log in (although that might just be because I've forgotten my password). I don't play WoW atm because I don't really care, but... it'd be kind of a pain if my account had been hacked. :?
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 15 Jan 2011, 10:47

Scammers have gotten REALLY good. One of Blizzard's biggest problems is spoofers - they have found ways to send out emails that by all accounts appear to come from Blizzard themselves. Even I have been hit by these emails.

~Alja~
Deedles

Postby Deedles » 16 Jan 2011, 08:22

That's the thing, I don't remember entering any suspicious sites. The only Blizzard site I enter is their main site and the BattleNet one.

I ended my subscription the other day anyway, just not into the game anymore, so I wasn't really fussed about the hacking.
Also, if your account has been hacked you can go onto Blizzards site and get your password reset for you. You go onto their site and get them to send you an email, they send you an email with a link, you click the link get taken to a page where you need to enter you email adress, your first and your second name, also enter the answer to your secret question.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Danzama
First Video: Wireless

Postby Danzama » 16 Jan 2011, 08:59

I spent yesterday night arguing with Zac, it made me really :x
I've spent all of my day round his and I felt really :?
We've been talking and we are now back on our old terms, I'm now rather :D
and my laptop is "fixed" and I'm very :twisted:
Zyxst

Postby Zyxst » 21 Jan 2011, 11:25

Van died in mini mart parking lot, but found Hostess (the real one, not a Canadian knock-off) cupcakes when I went to call for a cab.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 11 Feb 2011, 17:00

Well, my alma mater seems cognizant of memes and viral advertising...

...are they doinitrite, though?
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 11 Feb 2011, 18:34

For those who were in the loop regarding my niece's mother and her law-breaking ways, I thought I'd give a quick update. Her trial was this week and she was convicted of a Class C Felony for the forgery charge. They negotiated a plea-deal that dropped the other three counts. Sentence could range from probation to seven years, but sentencing hasn't occurred yet. Found out today that the judge has been written up recently for giving all convicts the maxiumum sentence, regardless of history. However, she does have previous offenses, so hopefully she'll get enough of a sentence to make an impact. *sigh*

It upsets me that people who are lucky enough to have such precious children of their own can't appreciate that fact and be cognizant of their responsibilities and opportunities. Instead... she wastes her life on a prescription drug addiction and has little interest in staying clean.

Return to “General Discussion”