The Mixed Emotion Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
AdmiralMemo
First Video: Unskippable: Eternal Sonata

Re: The Mixed Emotion Thread

Postby AdmiralMemo » 12 Feb 2015, 04:36

Well, that first thing is a problem to tackle, which shouldn't be a problem, really: all health care facilities should be inspected and rated by the same standards of metrics.

The second is a more general problem that has no real single thing to tackle and solve, unfortunately. :(
Graham wrote:The point is: Nyeh nyeh nyeh. I'm an old man.
LRRcast wrote:Paul: That does not answer that question at all.
James: Who cares about that question? That's a good answer.

Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 13 Feb 2015, 12:04

Canada is actually an extreme on the public-private health care continuum due to its lack of private health care providers. Most developed countries countries, such as Australia, have a much larger private health care sector than Canada. While the United States has a massive public health care system or rather systems - Medicare, Medicaid, Children's Health Insurance Program, Veterans Health Administration - it is unique in not being comprehensive.

I think a single payer system, where the government provides a acceptable level of insurance to everyone which can be supplemented by private insurance and range of government funded, non-profit and for profit providers is likely the best option a health care system.

A lot of government spending that goes to the richest portions of society is in the form of tax breaks. For instance, mortgage payments in many countries are tax deductible which ends up being a massive tax break to people who have bought expensive houses.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 14 Feb 2015, 09:24

Thursday my laptop died. I was trying to clean the fan by getting to the fan of a HP laptop.
Friday I bought a new PC and Monitor from PC World (cos I lost faith in my computer engineering).
Today it has come and evidently I can use it.

What grieved me was denied access to my games.
What actually made me feel bought of sadness was feeling cut off from friends. I had nothing to do on Thursday, Friday and today. I have no super phone, so the only way to connect with people was texts and calls. I could not Facebook. I felt alone.

But now seems good.
This system will be sick. I need to skin away the shitty default 8.1 UI. Sod off tiles.
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 14 Feb 2015, 09:50

Oh good, apparently I'm a dead ringer for Jesse Pinkman's drug addict homie.
Omega Lairon
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Omega Lairon » 18 Feb 2015, 22:55

Just got my computer up and running again after the hard drive dropped dead. Nothing on the old drive could be saved (for a reasonable cost), so I'm rebuilding pretty much everything from scratch. All my music, all my games, all the time and effort dedicated to my various characters - gone. And it cost me almost $400 for the privilege

On the plus side, it gives me a chance to better centralize and streamline everything, instead of the "leave it where it falls" system I had on the old drive. Plus, I didn't lose anything of any *real* value, so it's really just a matter of time rather than effort. Now I have an excuse to re-visit some of those older games again.

Oh, and the repair guy said many good things about the quality/condition of basically everything else in the box, which is pretty good for being 3-4 years old at this point.

ert+
y76p; 'Olu8jykee;u4p;e'/Rh
Strong ba15456`-------++++++gf
+++++-//==========/*8901ikg
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 19 Feb 2015, 08:10

also, start making backups?
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 21 Feb 2015, 19:35

So on monday I will be flying internationally for the very first time ever. Alone. By myself. I have only my panda instincts and some guides to help me. I am scared. Seriously! And anxious! And I just wish I could take Bebop with me!
Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 21 Feb 2015, 21:20

I have mixed emotions about someone....two opposing extremes....which I guess means that I have strong feelings for them on both sides of the scale....lol
Image Image
Click here, receive tweet: http://twitter.com/DaniellePepinAI
Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 21 Feb 2015, 21:31

viscomica wrote:So on monday I will be flying internationally for the very first time ever. Alone. By myself. I have only my panda instincts and some guides to help me. I am scared. Seriously! And anxious! And I just wish I could take Bebop with me!

Good luck to you especially at the boarder crossing agents. Hopefully way less stressful than my trip down south recently. I was both alone and in a financial situation that was a bit questionable in their opinion for the length of stay I was planning...and Canada/US have made stricter rules than there used to be so I feel lucky and relieved they let me cross but not sure they'd let me do so again in the same situation.

I've never been on a plane before but any time I've been traveling on my own somewhere new it gives me more and more confidence and this last trip most of all. I still hope if I hop on a plane in the future that it will be with someone I like traveling with but think it would be exciting for me either way. (If you're worried about terrorists taking over plane there's a video that tells the best thing to do...but most likely it will be a very boring trip other than seeing the land out the window all tiny.)
Image Image
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 21 Feb 2015, 22:41

Danielle Pepin wrote:
viscomica wrote:So on monday I will be flying internationally for the very first time ever. Alone. By myself. I have only my panda instincts and some guides to help me. I am scared. Seriously! And anxious! And I just wish I could take Bebop with me!

Good luck to you especially at the boarder crossing agents. Hopefully way less stressful than my trip down south recently. I was both alone and in a financial situation that was a bit questionable in their opinion for the length of stay I was planning...and Canada/US have made stricter rules than there used to be so I feel lucky and relieved they let me cross but not sure they'd let me do so again in the same situation.

I've never been on a plane before but any time I've been traveling on my own somewhere new it gives me more and more confidence and this last trip most of all. I still hope if I hop on a plane in the future that it will be with someone I like traveling with but think it would be exciting for me either way. (If you're worried about terrorists taking over plane there's a video that tells the best thing to do...but most likely it will be a very boring trip other than seeing the land out the window all tiny.)

I know it was not your intention but damn! now I'm even more nervous! (Sorry...)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 21 Feb 2015, 22:48

When I went to New York last year, it was my first time travelling or being on a plane at all since I was very young. Managed to get there and back without any issues at all. Even security/customs was a breeze.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 22 Feb 2015, 02:49

viscomica, I guess it would be better just to say I survived my own anxiety both ways. Each new place I go it gets easier. I used to be afraid of things like getting lost in Toronto before college but now I think I could get around in any city without too much trouble. (I do get disoriented easily but always find my way back. lol)
Image Image
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 22 Feb 2015, 07:28

Thing to remember about border control agents is they're like cashiers only worse - they see hundreds of people every shift, and these people are tired, cranky, nervous, hurried, etc. People in poor circumstances. I've always tried to be smiling and friendly, which is okay but still often gets responded to with stern looks.

The best approach seems to be just a neutral 'just the facts' efficiency; not aloof or closed, but not "Hi; how's your day?" chumminess. Compliant with what they need (get your stuff out and in hand while waiting) and forthcoming on what they ask, give concise answers (you should be familiar with that due to working with lawyers), and just help them process you as quick as possible so they can get to all the people behind you, too. :)

Air travel...well, it's got a LOT of safeguards - you'll probably be MUCH more likely to suffer delays sitting in the terminal waiting for some mechanical issue or whatnot to be sorted out, rather than have anything go wrong in the air. Bring a book(s) (kindle/smartphone/tablet would be fine on the ground, but they can't claim that paperback is going to interfere with avionics ;) ) and be patient.

Actually flying in the plane could also get a little patience-trying...I usually get a window seat for just something to distract myself (despite being an acrophobe, I don't mind looking down 'at all the tiny cars like ants' - maybe a mix of I feel secure inside the airframe along with the height is just too much for it to register properly in my mind :) ) again that book comes in handy - if you like crosswords or other puzzles, one of those cheap pulp books filled with puzzles can keep you engaged for even a long flight!

Another thing to think about for longer flights is to dress in loose clothing; the air pressure changes can make skin-tight clothes uncomfortable due to a tiny shift here or there.

If you can sleep on a plane, you've got it made - there's rarely that much of interest going on on a normal flight, and the food they offer is overpriced (even if it's specially made to accommodate altered taste buds due to the pressure change and the dry, recirculated air) I wish I could, but the noise of the a/c and the engines and just the air across the airframe just keeps me from nodding off; too many new sounds for my subconscious to let me sleep. :P

Dang, turns out I know a lot more about air travel than I thought. Hope even some of this helps!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 22 Feb 2015, 15:26

Airlines are becoming more permissive of personal electronic devices - the last few flights I have been on the United States allowed small electronic devices have been allowed in all phases of flight provided they where in flight mode. I don't think this has carried over to international aviation yet but are free to use electronic devices in flight mode once the flight has reached its cruising altitude. Most international carriers now have seatback inflight entertainment so you should have a choice in what inflight movies you could watch. If you are flying inter-continental, the food should be included in your airfare.

Your experience with boarder officials will depend on which country you are flying into. American officials are the worst in my experience and those of Schengen Agreement countries the most relaxed.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 22 Feb 2015, 21:33

Thanks for all the advice, guys! :)
Bebop Man
First Video: The Pirate Video

Postby Bebop Man » 23 Feb 2015, 08:16

Have a good trip vis, I'm gonna miss you.
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 24 Feb 2015, 16:05

Bebop Man wrote:Have a good trip vis, I'm gonna miss you.

Miss u already bebop!
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 06 Mar 2015, 03:08

Missed the phone call of a plumber who is offering my work experience (he sent a text saying this).
I am now trying to ring him back, and he is unavailable himself.

It's kinda funny this, but also annoying since I felt really sick last night when I found out I missed the call (it was when I went down for a family meal, away from my phone. I wasn't expecting a phone call). This was after reading and watching Five Nights at Freddy 3 stuff so I was already in a weird state.

I just want to resolve this soon. I might try ringing again at lunch time.

This is a good thing. I just need to confirm my YES PLEASE GIVE ME WORK EXPERIENCE. I want to tell him over the phone instead of text because that shows, I actually care.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 08 Mar 2015, 01:11

Well a job offer as a drum teacher fell into my lap. A year ago, I would have considered it the start of the rest of my life.

Now? I work damn near 6 days a week for a hell of a good wage in a job I love as it is. And I don't know if I can go back to music because it involved working with people who had no drive, no love and just wanted to be "a famous cover band. No talent, no work, all reward."

Telling those idiots that never happens is more work than actually working.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 08 Mar 2015, 05:16

"a famous cover band"?

YKUTW,IDNTIMWYTIM! :lol:

I imagine they think the local long-term cover band is 'famous' and 'successful'; they have no idea hand-to-mouth that band is all the time, and how many times they almost (or HAVE) broken up...how everyone in that band works day jobs just to survive, and often that band has rotating lineups simply due to work schedules. We ALL have one of those bands where we are...

But no, don't take your passion and make it into a job - especially where it'd involve trying to pass on your passion to those who either don't want it or can't get it. Based on many, MANY happy convos we've had, I know you're happy where you are, doing what you do. You still have the freedom to do musical things for fun as you are.

It's just fate teasing you by NOW giving you a surfeit of opportunities now that you don't need them; it's like my love life - I NEVER got hit on or propositioned...until I got married. :lol: I'm flattered as heck, but it's always tricky figuring out how to turn them down gracefully. :)
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 08 Mar 2015, 10:30

I got to go to a recruitment day for my #2 school for the grad program, and it was just absolutely great. We didn't quite get to see the labs I wanted to see, but everyone was nice and friendly, the faculty were willing to just chat about whatever, the current students were straight up honest about the pros and cons of living there, and the city and campus were gorgeous and comfortable to me. Being there just felt good.

I still haven't heard back from my #1 school. I haven't met their faculty, or been to their facilities, or talked to any of the current students. Even if I do get a yes, I'm not sure it'll be in time to attend their recruitment day.

#1 school is close enough that I wouldn't have to move (or move very far). I'd still be close to my boyfriend and connections here. #2 school is about an hour and a half away by car. It's far enough that I couldn't commute that, and I'd be a lot closer to my hometown, which my mom will not shut up about.

If I get the yes, I won't decide until I can see the facilities and meet the faculty and talk to current students.

But, is it weird that I'm kind of hoping that #1 school says no just so I don't have to make the choice?
-betsy
fantôme
First Video: mtgo drafts

Postby fantôme » 08 Mar 2015, 13:04

Maybe #2 has become #1? That's okay then.
betsytheripper

Postby betsytheripper » 08 Mar 2015, 16:08

I suppose maybe it has. I won't know for sure until (if) I see the other school's department.

But I have this gnawing guilt about choosing the further away school. My bf has said he wants me to go where ever is right for me, but continuously jokes about me leaving him for school. The jokes aren't even joking, it's more like he's stating what he thinks will happen and trying to pass it off as something. It's as if he isn't even considering the possibility of a "long distance" version of our relationship, as if 1.5 hrs is even far away. I'd actually be within 5 minutes of his sister, and they have a strong, healthy sibling relationship. We've been together two years, and I guess that's the real mixed feelings.

School I've found out I love is 1.5 hrs away, long term bf doesn't seem to want to accept that we can be together just slightly farther apart.
-betsy
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 08 Mar 2015, 18:44

*hugs* Betsy - the comfort level is a HUGE thing with grad school. BF will adjust... and if he doesn't... you're an engineer, you're at no loss for other options. Not to say it would be easy, but you have to consider whether putting the relationship ahead of the education is worth it to you. *hugs* You know I'm behind you either way.
betsytheripper

Postby betsytheripper » 09 Mar 2015, 20:19

Thanks, Stepz. Just writing it out helped me sort through it a bit. Bf and I will definitely have to have A Discussion soon, but I'm hopeful it will turn out all right.
-betsy

Return to “General Discussion”