The Mixed Emotion Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Lord Hosk
First Video: Checkpoint: Into the breach
Location: Half and inch below the knuckle of the ring finger. MI

Re: The Mixed Emotion Thread

Postby Lord Hosk » 02 May 2015, 10:22

I just got a letter today from the VA with confirmation from a Nurse practitioner with a PHD, a PA, and a Neurologist that my brain is damaged.

There is evidence of some dead areas of the brain which are most likely the result of stroke or head trauma.

Got myself a four page write up about my MRI, as opposed to the one I got from the army which read "normal MRI for 29 year old male" I would almost get the impression that the army didn't want to find evidence.

It has been recommended that I press for 100% disability as well as talk to a lawyer about my discharge because those suffering from a TBI are suffering from cognitive impairment and therefore need a guardian appointed to read documentation. In other words the army didn't find evidence so that they could kick me out without a medical retirement.
Beware Bering Crystal Bears, Bearing Crystals. (Especially if the crystals they are bearing are, themselves, Bering Crystal Bears.) -Old, Stupid Proverb

[–]Graham_LRR
You hear that Khoo? We're almost better than the comic!
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 02 May 2015, 11:18

As shitty as the results are, at least you have some results. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction to get the proper answers and assistance... may be a longer road than you expected, but its in the right direction.

*hugs* Take care of yourself, hun, and those precious cherubs.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 02 May 2015, 12:18

Yeah. I'm really sorry to hear that you got results like that, but I'm glad that maybe you'll be able to make some good come of it. <3
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 03 May 2015, 00:04

2stepz and Feyili already said what I'd like to say, so, have a hug. *hugs*

Stay safe and take care.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 03 May 2015, 00:51

I can only offer a huge hug.
McGurganatorZX
First Video: Feed Dump #200

Postby McGurganatorZX » 03 May 2015, 12:48

Here's an internet hug, use it wisely and for your benefit!

I've come to the full realization that next year I graduate from university. I can't wait to get out of the house and actually start my adult life properly. Sanely enough, I'm worried about all of the bills I'll have to pay, all of the issues that comes with getting my own place, but most importantly finding a job. I know I can do a lot with an Economics degree, but it's still daunting as hell
"Man, you look like a [Adjective] bear. What happened?"

Twitter: https://twitter.com/McGurganMKII
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/McgurganatorZX
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 04 May 2015, 03:37

It's awful to get news like that, but its better knowing than it being swept under the rug like the military tried.

Stay safe man, we all love and respect you.
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
viscomica
First Video: SPRING!

Postby viscomica » 06 May 2015, 17:45

I'm getting published!
On the downside, today I signed a contract that basically means I will get no moneys out of the sales of the book.
Yay! (?)
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 06 May 2015, 18:03

Well, a big congratulations on the first part, for sure!
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 06 May 2015, 23:58

Why won't you get any money?
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 07 May 2015, 05:48

Elomin Sha wrote:Why won't you get any money?

I transfered my rights over it to the publishing company. I had to, but I doubt it will sell well at any rate and it will look good on my resume. I think, haha.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 07 May 2015, 06:07

Still ouch. There are self publishing sites, but you then again that's throwing the book to the wind.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 07 May 2015, 06:26

Elomin Sha wrote:Still ouch. There are self publishing sites, but you then again that's throwing the book to the wind.

Yeah...
The only way I would get money out of it would be if it gets translated to another language, and even then I'd be getting a lot less money than what the publisher would make.
But, on the bright side, it IS getting published.
viscomica

Postby viscomica » 07 May 2015, 06:27

Jamfalcon wrote:Well, a big congratulations on the first part, for sure!

Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 08 May 2015, 21:58

-
Last edited by Kapol on 12 Apr 2017, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 09 May 2015, 06:23

Eehhh, I wouldn't say you're 'putting people in danger'. I would be complimented either a) because the aforementioned mother liked the cookies so much she wants to make them herself, or b) because even though she suffers from celiac disease (or lactose intolerance or whatever), she's interested enough in my cookies that she wants to know if they're safe to eat or not.

Pop this in the 'win' column, my friend.

Heck, now I'm curious - what type of cookies are they? I might be interested in getting the recipe from you to try them out! :lol:
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 13 May 2015, 15:08

Fairly common for people to ask for recipes. I don't know how many times I've given out my recipe for beef veggie soup, or my white chili... or choc chip cookies for that matter. Its a hazard of pot-lucking...
Kapol
First Video: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Postby Kapol » 13 May 2015, 20:43

-
Last edited by Kapol on 12 Apr 2017, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 15 May 2015, 10:50

So this morning I got an email on my publically available professional email, which is purely used in relation to my writing. For context, at this point, it's not getting a lot of non-newletter traffic, and the book has been selling... well, better than my realistic expectations, in that I'm getting a sale now and then without knowing a family member bought it, but I'm still in the double digits.

So anyway, this email said it was from a publisher, they saw my blurb and wanted me to send a PDF of the book for consideration. While I was obviously excited to see it, it immediately set off a few alarm bells in my head too, since it seemed too good to be true, especially when I checked the site and it was promising things like 50 sales a month, had a lot of vague wording and mentions of premium services. I did a bit of digging and found a few forum threads discussing getting the same email, replying, and getting dodgy answers. Basically, it looks like it is more or less legit company, but really more of a vanity publisher that offers editing and cover design at a fee, and is distressingly secretive about contract details until you start sending them books and agreeing to things. So... quite possibly a scam, and way too risky for anyone hoping to make a serious long-term go at writing professionally.

But on the other hand... at least my book is visible enough that they found it? That's definitely something.

I wrote a book!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 15 May 2015, 21:47

You're notable enough to be targeted by scammers; WIN! :lol:

But yeah, I'd go by Hanlon's Razor here - "never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - but WHY this vanity publisher is dodgy isn't as much as an issue as THAT they're subsequently dodgy. :(
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 15 May 2015, 22:59

Yeah. Whether they're legitimately a scam or just a fancied up vanity publisher, they're clearly not the sort of publisher I want to give my book's rights to.

I wrote a book!
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 15 May 2015, 23:55

I've been making by hand some more greetings cards.
The printer is doing a shit job. They're streaky.
My first batch were not as bad, and I made them up anyway just to show to my parents how bad they are.
They saw them and were like "They're good!".
I said "they're streaky and you cannot see them in the dark and without your glasses".
They replied "But many people won't either"

THAT'S NO THE POINT. How can I sell a shite product?

I've ordered 25 from a professional printers as a test run. I want to compare and contrast.

If the quality is better, I can finally tell my parents "Stop expecting me to make these by hand. The printer is shit and these guys can do it very well!"

My Dad keeps suggesting going to TESCO and getting prints done there. But I am thinking:
If I am going to that much trouble and travelling, why no order them from a printers as a finished product?
Is he offering to give me a lift to TESCO? If so, I want to buy some Staffordshire Oatcakes from there.
(FTR, TESCO is 30 minutes walk away from the nearest bus stop)
-
In summery. Printer is doing awful job. I am hoping this will finally prove to my parents that getting cards printed at a printers is the best option. I've told my mum this many times and she keeps forgetting. And she complains that we don't listen to her.
MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 17 May 2015, 19:44

My mom called. :shock:

Last time I "said" anything to her was in July 2014 (yay for not deleting facebook messages) when I told her in not subtle terms I would never dream of inviting her to my wedding.
She was apparently calling to ask for a chocolate cake recipe. She's never eaten cake I've made. Hell, she's never had anything I've made. She left before I started cooking (I was 8 when she left).
Do I call her back? Or continue ignoring her existence?
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 17 May 2015, 20:28

I think it really comes down to whatever will be the best for you going forward. Obviously I can't say what that is, since I don't know your mother. If you think it might be the start of moving towards getting on better terms with her, and that's something you want, go for it. If you feel like you're better off without that relationship, you can let it be.

I would say that, given that she's never had any of your cakes, it sounds like an attempt to strike up a low-stakes conversation. Whether or not that's just an opening to something else, it's hard to say.

I wrote a book!
Hekla
First Video: The Whole Story: Desert Bus

Postby Hekla » 18 May 2015, 05:13

I handed in my dissertation for my undergraduate degree, and am now only one week away from finishing everything. I should be feeling great.

But I went to have lunch, and found that I'd lost my wallet. Neither of the two places that I'd been today have had seen it. Then I got home, and found that I've also lost my keys. I managed to get in, but that has really made my day rather miserable. Now I'm considering walking all the way back to the library to see if they have my keys...
I'm also QuintonDreaming. Stupid username availability prevents me from always being an Icelandic volcano.

Return to “General Discussion”