The Mixed Emotion Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Robo4900
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Re: The Mixed Emotion Thread

Postby Robo4900 » 25 May 2016, 16:55

I just installed a new cooler for my processor, solving the problem I was getting before where it would idle at 50-60°c if I didn't have power saver mode on(Which is very bad for a desktop), and my computer is much quieter.

However, the secondary cause of the problem is still present -- "System and compressed memory" is still using up to 20% of my CPU at all times, and there is no way to turn it off. So, the lowest my computer runs at is 30°c, and there's 20% of my CPU that I can't use.

Also, because of the size of the cooler, my side panel fan no longer fits in the case, so I don't have an air intake fan anymore(Not as bad as it sounds -- air pressure means it's still taking in air, but not as efficiently as it could).

And installing the cooler itself was an ordeal. Had to take out the graphics card and network card, aswell as unplug all the peripherals so I could take out the motherboard to put a little thing behind the processor for the fan to hook onto. I thought it'd take maybe half an hour to do the whole thing, but it ended up taking all day.

So overall, it's been a pretty mixed day.
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."
Mums
First Video: Checkpoint "Socially inept"

Postby Mums » 02 Jun 2016, 08:48

Elomin Sha wrote:If my Masters Thesis of a video game design document worked in an English class you will have no problem.

Lord Chrusher wrote:Having mixed feelings when you submit is quite natural. I did when I submitted my PhD thesis.

Thank you for your support :)
Want to say that everything went well and apparently I'm a lawyer now...
Sit down. Get ready. Sit down again!

The perfectly lying, lying bastad!
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 02 Jun 2016, 09:13

A friend recently got bad news about her degree - despite their group being farther along than ours (and our supervisor says we're fine), their supervisors said they were too far behind, and that their project was being scrapped. Now they either have the choice to do individual theses or just do a GradDip instead of a Masters. When she told me the news, I was on my way home from campus, so I turned around, grabbed some pastries from a shop, and went right back to campus to make sure she was okay.

I don't feel bad about that, but I do feel bad that I have kind of a hero complex about this stuff. Like, I don't WANT people to be in distress... but if something bad were to happen to them, I want to be the one to make it go away or help out. So I feel good that I could make her feel better, but I feel guilty that I was kind of using her to make me feel good about myself. You know?
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Avistew
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Avistew » 04 Jun 2016, 09:40

I know what you mean. I can be like that too. When someone is feeling bad, I just want to make them feel better, and while that's not a bad thing in itself, I also know that part of it is wanting to feel good about myself and patting myself on the back for being a good person, and that part isn't so good because being the savior requires people to need to be saved, which ideally would never happen.
Check out my webcomic, The Meddlers! (Currently not updating)
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 04 Jun 2016, 10:47

Yes, exactly.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

MinniChi
First Video: Your Very Own Prom

Postby MinniChi » 10 Jun 2016, 03:00

6 am on my birthday and instead of sleeping in, I wake up to make muffins and lasagna for people I work with. I'm not sure how to feel about this.
No trees were killed to send this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Merrymaker_Mortalis
First Video: ENN's First Episode on Escapist

Postby Merrymaker_Mortalis » 20 Jun 2016, 13:44

I have some amazing opportunity happening on Friday for my art career and I'm here fretting at how isolated I am in this wonderful house my parents own, all because I don't have a car.
The house is pleasant, the garden beautiful and a wonderful pet cat, and I am alone.
And I have a beer and chocolate shop exhibiting my artwork and doing a promo event for it on Friday and I'm sitting here thinking of my solitude. My contacts on Facebook are probably really excited for me and presume I must be filled with joy. And I am here alone.
My mind is filled with, I have work tomorrow, then a free day in which I must study, then four days straight of working. I am wondering if anyone is going to come to my house this Saturday and I need to buy groceries so I can actually feed myself something interesting.
Ptangmatik
First Video: probably one of the 1st unskippables

Postby Ptangmatik » 04 Jul 2016, 10:01

So I've been staring at my email inbox waiting for news on a friend of mine who lives near London and has a dodgy ticker, his implanted pacemaker went a bit wonky and it's landed him in hospital, and an email from my old boss comes through, he's finally rebuilt his company and he's offering me my old proofreading job back at an improved salary, starting in October.

I've been busying myself as a school science technician recently, making sulfuric acid whirlpools and bobbin racers (I wasn't officially supposed to make either of those, but the whirlpool (4 Mol) was essentially safe and a sort of natural consequence of using a magnetic stirrer set slightly too fast, and the racer was both awesome and extremely useful in a lesson). Teching doesn't pay much but makes me really happy and I've sort of informally committed to staying until February, nothing legally binding, but it'd leave a coworker who started at the same time as me rushed off his feet if I jumped ship in October, but proofreading pays SO much more and I enjoyed it too while it lasted...

In conclusion, I should probably ring my mum, and my hospitalised friend's wife. And about four other people.

Edit: So, my friend's back from hospital (He went in on Friday). I can breath a sigh of relief :-)
Geoff_B wrote: ... Even for here, that was weird.
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 11 Jul 2016, 08:05

Traveling all the way across the country tomorrow (Dublin -> Galway) so I can get a PPS number (equivalent of an SSN) as soon as possible to start work. I'm kind of afraid that I'll get there after two and a half hours of travel to have them tell me I'm not allowed to apply anywhere other than the county in which I'm residing, but it doesn't SAY that anywhere, and I looked it up using every permutation of language I could think of. Still stressed, though. But if it all goes right, I should be working in a public library as soon as next week!

Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 11 Jul 2016, 11:44

You should be fine. Enjoy the journey.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Psyclone
First Video: Christmas Carolling on Halloween

Postby Psyclone » 16 Jul 2016, 20:19

My mom's best friend from med school was in town so we had her over for dinner, and my mom confessed to me that she was really nervous about it because ever since they graduated she's always felt like her friend was so much more successful and doing so much more with her life, and she's worried her friend will look down on her for being a GP and not doing something like tropical disease research. Her friend was in town to give a talk at the university about Zika, so I guess that's not a completely illogical fear.

I did kind of understand when we spent the first half hour talking about her friend's amazing humanitarian trip to China, though.

I'm really honored that my mom trusted me enough to tell me that and I hope I was able to make the dinner less stressful, but it's always weird to be reminded that your parents have struggles and anxieties and insecurities too.
They/them/their pronouns

twitch: armadillorampant
Jenelmo
First Video: Friday nights: Untap

Postby Jenelmo » 22 Jul 2016, 02:21

A very good friend is leaving this weekend for a year long internship/exchange student program in Australia.
I am very glad for her that she has this opportunity, she deserves it, but i am going to miss her a lot.
Especially because i can't afford to visit and the time difference makes it so we properly doesn't get to talk that often.
There must always be a Stark in the Moonbase
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 23 Jul 2016, 11:15

Just bought a "new" car (Volvo V40, 2001, with about 130k km on the clock in a nice beige color) Trading in my old Opel I get about 1000 euros back. Which means I've lost about 3000 to 4000 euros on that car in 3 years time... Really on the fence about actually selling it. Maybe I should just keep it, get the gearbox fixed after my vacation and then flog the Volvo off again...
The Volvo I now bought has some large bills coming up as well (timing belt and 130k km service). The Volvo is a really nice car, but I'm just not sure its 3000 euros nice... especially given I KNOW the Opel is in very decent nick apart from the *(^%*&%^ $&() &*^@# gearbox.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 23 Jul 2016, 11:57

Opel? Was it called Oliver?
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 23 Jul 2016, 12:31

Dutch guy I'm 100% feeling your pain. I love my '91 Volvo 240 but this is two summers in a row I'm dropping a grand on fixing big things. The front of my brain says I need a "new" car (like '05-'10 Camry), but the back of my brain loves this car and is like "once we replace all this broken stuff it'll be like brand new and it'll run forever". I just don't know which part to listen to.
-betsy
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 23 Jul 2016, 14:23

Elomin Sha wrote:Opel? Was it called Oliver?

Nope, mine is rather more recent vintage (2004) and nicknamed "Ad" (It's an Astra, you do the math as to why :) )
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 23 Jul 2016, 14:41

betsytheripper wrote:Dutch guy I'm 100% feeling your pain. I love my '91 Volvo 240 but this is two summers in a row I'm dropping a grand on fixing big things. The front of my brain says I need a "new" car (like '05-'10 Camry), but the back of my brain loves this car and is like "once we replace all this broken stuff it'll be like brand new and it'll run forever". I just don't know which part to listen to.

Thing is, you can never be sure you don't get the same sort of problem with a more recent car. I've known people who had cars that where 4 or 5 years old that needed extensive repairs (just when the car fell out of warranty ofcourse)
Cars are machines, machines break. It's really hard to make any sort of prediction on how long until the next big repair. Getting a "New" car means getting a different machine that someone else has (mis)used, with it's own hidden weakpoints that need repair at some point. For me the important thing is that a car has to be reliable. I don't mind dropping larger sums of money to get things repaired as long as the thing doesn't leave me stranded. Something my Opel is now threatening to do and nearly did 2 years ago when it suddenly seized up enroute back home from a holiday which is why I bought the Volvo. But I'm still very much on the fence whether to keep and repair my Astra or stick with the Volvo. It's a gamble either way.
Jamfalcon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Jamfalcon » 23 Jul 2016, 16:53

This car talk sure is sounding familiar. I have a Volvo too, a 1998 S70, and I learned to drive on a 240 around the same age as Betsy's. The one I have right now is well used, but I got it for $1,000 a year ago so I can't expect much. Right now it's reasonably stable, but it has a brake fluid leak in the front right caliper (probably the same issue Betsy mentioned in the venting thread). It's been leaking for provably six months now, and I've just been putting in brake fluid couple weeks, but when I was filling my tired before driving to the States this trip I saw it leaking out.

I ordered some seals, and my mechanically-inclined father some experience with this, and a retired 850 sitting in his yard with the same part, so we're going to try to fix it when I'm back in Canada.

Still, it has a lots of defective odds and ends (back right door doesn't open, seat adjuster panel is loose, a turn signal cover is chipped and loose, gas gauge is wonky... the list goes on) and it dis have a battery charging issue recently. At that point, with it not starting reliably AND brake fluid leaking from an unknown source, I seriously considered selling it and finding something else. But it's like Dutch Guy said, since I'm not looking to spend more this time, I might just be trading a car I generally like and "get" for who knows what.
"Jamfalcon's a super weird name" - Graham

I wrote a book!
betsytheripper
First Video: Scientist's Rebuttal to ICP

Postby betsytheripper » 23 Jul 2016, 18:10

Gotta say, that is exactly the thing I was talking about, except it's right rear. But the nice part about old Volvos is the enthusiasts, so there's tons of online resources with step by step instructions on repairing just about anything on those monsters. I have a long list of random things I've fixed myself, but some jobs I'm just not up to.

And here I sit,an hour and a half after getting the call that it would be ready in 45 minutes, so I waited 40 to call Lyft for a 30 minute ride, and it's still on the lift.

Haha I just heard him start it, because it often doesn't start first try. Time to pay rent on my car.
-betsy
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 23 Jul 2016, 18:15

Yeah, that's a big part of why I got a Volvo... my dad and both his brothers are those kind of enthusiasts, so between them and the internet, I figure I have a decent shot of fixing at least the simpler things.

Hope yours is good and working now!

I wrote a book!
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 12 Aug 2016, 16:48

Double post with a new topic...

I submitted my new book to a bunch of agents to try the traditional route (I self-published my last one). Got my first rejection letter today! Obviously not what I wanted to hear, but it's also kinda neat, just one more thing to chip away at the impostor syndrome saying that, after three novels, I'm still "not a real author." :P

AND in other mixed emotions news, I still haven't heard back from that job I interviewed for two and a half weeks back... or rather, they told me then that I'd hear by that weekend. I didn't. 8 days later they told me there'd been a delay and that they'd be selecting an applicant for the position THAT weekend. Now it's Friday, and we're almost at a third weekend, and I'm still waiting. I know it's a student-run organization, but it'd be nice to have some updates when they miss their promised date. And I wouldn't be so anxious if I didn't feel like the interview went really well and I had a good shot. :P

I wrote a book!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 13 Aug 2016, 02:46

"Don't despair, Mr. Stimpson."

"It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand."
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 14 Aug 2016, 15:42

Yep, that was about right.

Buuuuuut...

I just heard back about it. And I didn't get the job.

HOWEVER!

They offered me a higher up section editor position, doing work that I feel a bit more comfortable with, and more of it, for significantly more pay. They thought given my writing history, I'd be a competent editor or something. :mrgreen:

So that's a pretty good turn for my day to take!

I wrote a book!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 15 Aug 2016, 01:58

Maybe that's why they were dragging their feet with the 1st position; they knew the 2nd was coming up, and they already had you in mind?

Anyways, congrats!
Jamfalcon

Postby Jamfalcon » 15 Aug 2016, 09:57

Thanks! And yeah, I'm thinking it's a combination of a not just "yes or no" decision and that it's summer and they have August off, so people were probably less responsive than usual. This other position that I ended up getting was posted too, but I applied for the lower one thinking it would be more entry level. This is where I wanted to end up once I had some experience, though, so I'm quite happy with the development. :)

I wrote a book!

Return to “General Discussion”